Wookey Jack | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Wookey JackWookey Jack
4.25/5
Wookey JackWookey Jack

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
firestonewalker.com

Style: American Black Ale

Added by barleywinefiend on 03-11-2012

#753

Ratings: 4,616 |  Reviews: 702
4.16/5  rDev -2.1%

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

3.99/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

2.25/5  rDev -47.1%

4.25/5  rDev 0%

Serving type: 22 ounce bomber poured into a belgian style tulip glass.

Aroma: A very nice, mellow citrusy hop aromas on the nose.

Appearance: This looks beautiful, looks like a stout or porter, black with a brown head.

Taste: Not a big citrusy hop flavor up front, pretty mellow, a light roasted dry character on the back end, not getting a lot of alcohol, very smooth, very drinkable for an 8% ABV beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel, light feeling but not thin.

Overall: This is easier drinking than I thought it would be, I was expecting something like Union Jack, that I think is hoppier and has more bitterness. This is very smooth, a nice citrusy bitterness up front, a little roasted character on the back end, but surprisingly very drinkable. I think I need to try more black ales IPAs to get a better understanding of where this fits in the style, definitely worth drinking again and worth trying.

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

4.4/5  rDev +3.5%

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

Yet another Firestone masterpiece. Never had a rye IPA this good (and I have had some really amazing ones). Never had a black IPA this good either. This beer is the best of both worlds. Good job Firestone, yet another reason you are my favorite brewing company!

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

4.6/5  rDev +8.2%

4.31/5  rDev +1.4%

I just obtained this one. It is the second one from Firestone Walker that I have tried and I do think they make fantastic beers. I guess I should give props to Beer Camp this year for introducing me to this brewery. It doesn't get distributed to my state, but I travel to VA and they do get it. Anyway, this one was interesting. Not my first black IPA, but this one was not really like the others I had tried, to the best of my recollection.

Appearance: Dark, but not totally lights out dark. There is some transparency in this beer, its almost like a really dark brown ale in color. Big fluffy head that settles to a nice lacing after a few minutes.

Smell:Wow, this is really where this beer hits you. You can detect the hops right away, but you also get that rye spiciness in there too. It does have a bit of the malt character but the hops really do shine in the aroma.

Taste: Not as hoppy as you would expect from the nose. The malts tame it down an bit. I detected the rye heat in there but the dark malts sweeten it up and the hops are not as prevalent, which is a bit of a downer. Nevertheless, its a tasty beer and a really good price for the bomber. I think I picked this one up at a grocery store in VA for less than $7.

Overall: Nice beer. I do like this black ale, black IPA, whatever they want to call it style. It blends the best of two worlds, for me anyway. I have drank a few but kind of backed away while summer was here. Now that we are in a transitional season and I want more stouts this is a good beer to bring me up to speed. I recommend it if you can find it. Its a good price and a very solid beer.

3.44/5  rDev -19.1%

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

3.95/5  rDev -7.1%

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

4.32/5  rDev +1.6%

4.28/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Deepest black color with a thick one finger caramel head with medium retention and leaving a constant plate.
Delicious aroma full of tropical notes, pineapples, canned peaches, tangerines, passion fruit, mango and toasted malts.
Bold flavor with notes of citrusy hops, lots of spices, grapefruit, grape juice, rye, licorice, pine resin and finishing with roasted and burnt coffee beans. Very dry and bitter aftertaste with a long lasting burnt note.
Medium bordering full body with perfect carbonation. Alcohol of 8.3% could not be more hidden.
That is a superb Black Rye IPA. Original, bold in flavors and hops (80 IBUs) and still very drinkable. My taste buds are completely soaked. Recommendable.

4.25/5  rDev 0%

Wookey Jack from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.25 out of 5 with 4,616 ratings