805 Blonde Ale
Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

805 Blonde Ale805 Blonde Ale
Score:
Ranked #47,655
3.49 | pDev: 15.47%
From:
Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Avail:
Year-round
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Okay
805 Blonde Ale805 Blonde Ale
Notes: A light, refreshing blonde ale created for the laid back California lifestyle. Subtle malt sweetness is balanced by a touch of hops creating a versatile beer with a clean finish. 4.7% ABV and available wherever beer is sold if they don't have it, demand it.
View: Beers
Reviews: 180 | Ratings: 1,157 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
VoxRationis from New York

3.71/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Decanted from a 12 oz (355 ml) bottle into a conical glass; no production information.
A: Pours a crystal clear, light amber color with a one finger, off-white head, rim retention, and modest lacing.
S: Aromas of banana and maybe lemongrass, honeysuckle.
T: Dry. Palate follows the nose. Bitterness light and balanced.
M: Light to medium bodied with low to moderate carbonation. Drinks very cleanly.
O: Had one sitting in a hotel lobby waiting to have dinner with friends. This is a very nicely designed, enjoyable American Blonde, perfect for relaxing. I can see why it's so popular here.

Saturday at 12:27 AM
KT3418 from Colorado

3.53/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Some Ignant ass reviews on this brew. This is an American Blonde Ale. It is supposed to be light and crisp and even less beer tasting than lagers which is why im laughing at those comparing this to macro lagers. Anyways, I think ill stick to the local examples of this style but this was definitely fine and was about what I expected. I can recommend Kindling by O'Dell or Melvins Killer Bees was pretty good too

Jul 20, 2021
TonyKaz

2.77/5  rDev -20.6%

Using a wine glass for this one. Nice yellow orange color with not much head. No lacing to speak of and head vanished rapidly. Nose strangely had a strong smell of alcohol and little else. Not much aroma and strange to smell alcohol in a 4.7 ABV beer. Taste has the same metallic twang I find in MGD. From the bottle I found it definitely sweet, maybe a slight malty tasting, but from the glass, there is not much there, a little bready maybe. Mouth feel is good straight from the bottle. From the glass the beer seems a little flat and definitely has a little bit of a bready aftertaste. Despite this lack of flavor, it is very easy to drink and is a little lighter than something like a Pabst or MGD. It is a hot summer night and I am glad I chose this at the grocery store because it goes down smooth without feeling like it's weighing me down. Buy it if it's on sale and you'll see what I mean. No point in pouring this beer into a glass. It's far better from the bottle. This review is for the beer within its category, not against all beers.

Jul 09, 2021
BillAfromSoCal from California

3.51/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Not a lot of smell or flavor, other than some muted malts coming through and verrry slight hint of hops, but quite refreshing on a hot day. Good mouthfeel/nicely balanced carbonation (neither flat nor sudsy) and moderate body to it. Not a lot to recommend it if you like big flavors, but a reasonably nice and highly refreshing example of the style.

Jun 20, 2021
Teika_Takahashi from California

3.09/5  rDev -11.5%

Look: Looks like you have only been drinking soda for the past three days and your body is SCREAMING for water, yet you don't listen and keep slamming that Dr. Pepper and then your pee looks like saturated, bright yellow. Foamy head when poured, but quickly dissipates and you are left with sad looking beer.
Smell: Not much to go wild about, just beer smell, more malty than anything else. A bit sweeeeeet
Taste: At first it tastes like your average beer, pretty malt heavy, background of hops, and an almost sweet barley tea aftertaste.
Feel: Not as carbonated as I want it to be, but its pretty smooth and other than that I have no complaints.
Overall: Probably my favorite cheap beer. It's aite. Gets the job done without breaking wallet.

May 01, 2021
DarkBeerSux from Illinois

3.74/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Like others have said, this is not the best blonde ale - but it's certainly not the worst. Goes down easy and refreshing. Great on a hot summer day or at the beach.

Apr 07, 2021
Engelberg from California

1.46/5  rDev -58.2%

Overall disappointing. Maybe my expectations were higher as it carried a certain cache’ for this Californian. I bought a case at Costco for my son in law who had lived on the central coast and was supposed to like it. For me, it was reminiscent of maybe Lucky Lager, Falstaff, Schafer’s or Schlitz. Largely tasteless with plenty of carbonation and simply lacking in a nose of any kind. It rolled across my tongue, cool and refreshing but then just stopped midway without any flavor or aftertaste to speak of just short of becoming skunky. A Stella or Modela or even a Bud or Pabst would have well sufficed.

Apr 03, 2021
IPAs_for_days_13 from Texas

2.59/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

L: Pours a transparent golden color with a 1/2 inch white head.
S: Sweet grain maltiness, somewhat bready, rather weak on the aroma side of the house though.
T: Taste follows the nose, the sweet grains & malts is really all you taste.
F: High carbonation, light-bodied, crisp, crushable.
O: Best thing about this beer is the fact that it is crushable, nothing exceptional here.

Jan 29, 2021
H-TownMcBuck from Texas

3.03/5  rDev -13.2%

I must not appreciate blondes. Clear, golden color. I don’t smell much. Not much flavor. No head or retention. May be good on a hot beach, but this isn’t for me.

Jan 18, 2021
picoFarad from Oregon

2.77/5  rDev -20.6%

Poured into a mug from a 12oz can purchased at the grocery store.

My usual routine is to grab a random sampling of brews and try not to know much about them before I drink them. This is dangerous, I'll admit, but exciting.

My initial reaction was that this was a pretty mediocre attempt at an easy drinking American lager. Imagine my surprise when I discovered this is supposed to be a blonde ale. Thankfully I'm not alone, others here seem to have had the same reaction. What went wrong? Is it the yeast? Who knows, but I'll say it's a passable lager, and a total failure as a blonde ale.

Aug 24, 2020
iguanodon from Utah

2.98/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I have seen this so many times in stores in CA, finally tried it. 12 oz can from the grocery store. Pours clear copper with no head. Aroma: the first impression was strong metal, but that went away as it warmed. Then sweet malt and honey. Taste: sweet malt and cracker. Surprisingly thick mouth feel for 4.7 ABV . Just ok.

Aug 24, 2020
Gatch from Massachusetts

4.09/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

24oz can dated 07/08/20. Passed on this for years but this large, simple can design sucked me in as did the decent price (at an already expensive store on Coronado). Pretty damn good Blonde. Truly balanced and avoids the overly hopped version of the style which makes it a proper beer for a warm August day on the “island.”

Aug 22, 2020
0bb from Kentucky

After a long bike ride. I open a can of this bright orange concoction and it takes me back to a time when things weren't so crazy. This golden delight teases taste buds with a subtle sweeteness. This is an easy drinker.Very light tasting beer subtle hints of mango and peach.

Jul 30, 2020
snaotheus from Washington

3.75/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2020-07-12
12oz can served in a Flatstick Pub can glass. Canned on 05/14/20.

Pours clear, light honey golden, with a medium head and little carbonation. Smell is yeast, barley, honey, very sweet.

Taste is watery and sweet, more honey, more barley, not much to balance it out, but at least rich in that one direction.

Mouthfeel is medium but kind of sweet-sticky. Overall, not a blonde expert, but not a bad beer.

Jul 13, 2020
MaltsOfGlory from Oregon

3.65/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz can

Pours a big two fingers of white head into my can style glass. Retention is pretty good, and holds up for a few minutes before settling at a half finger in height. Initial lacing looks great. Body is semi dark gold, crystal clean, with loads of bubbles coming up. Looks pretty nice so far.

Light fruit esters are very noticeable, as is a small dms presence mixed in with the light caramel malt. A touch of sweetness, though I expect this to drink relatively dry. Hard to grade because this isn’t my favorite style. Pretty sure dms is not a welcome flavor, but it is pretty well hidden. Personally, this is fine, the fruity esters are a nice touch and are, to my surprise, accepted by bjcp too.

Unmistakable caramel hits immediately, almost to the point of a marzen, this may be a little much. Some stale grainyness lingers for a few sips, but eventually smooths out. Not a lot of esters. Hops flavors are not very present. I don’t mind the caramel that much but it is a pretty big flavor here, and almost certainly too high stylistically. Overall, as with the nose, the flavor is just fine.

Mouthfeel is pretty good. Carbonation is a hair below medium. Body is on the lighter side, though that caramel malt sweetness adds some feel. Despite the substantial flavor, the caramel malty sugars aren’t cloying. Bitterness is hardly noticeable. Solid.

Drinkability is not an issue.

Appearance turned out poor. Zero lacing.

Overall probably a pretty safe example of the style minus maybe the overt caramel. Not necessarily my cup of tea, but it’s ok. I oddly find myself going back and fourth on the dominating caramel.

To note - apparently I’m weird, because this is one of the only beers I have recently had that I like more out of the glass than in the can.

Jun 15, 2020
maddogruss from New Jersey

3.1/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured from a tall boy into a shaker glass.
A: pours dark gold body, pretty translucent, with a small white head with ok retention and lacing.
S: sweet, malt smell
T: sweet, malt taste; sweet toffee notes
M: light bodied and crisp
O: ok drinking beer; pretty good for a warm day.

May 24, 2020
smbslt from Illinois

3.77/5  rDev +8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is a solid, approachable beer. Its lack of flair is its charm. Nothing fancy. A good choice if you have to fill a cooler for a party of non-craft drinkers.

Mar 23, 2020
love_death_and_beer

4.5/5  rDev +28.9%

Just tried this beer on tap at Silverheels in Frisco, CO. I had read about Firestone Walker a few months ago but being from the Southeast, I never thought I'd run across it. Blonde ales are a bit hit or miss for me, and to my limited knowledge, it tastes more like a light lager than a Blonde. It's full but not heavy, has a great, balanced taste, and a great nose and bready aftertaste that I love in a beer. Taking some home in my checked luggage.

Feb 05, 2020
penguinsgoboom from California

3.2/5  rDev -8.3%

A: Pours a nice straw gold. No semblance of a head or lacing

S: Very weak smell of some biscuits, malt, grain

T: Nice mellow grain, malt, barley. Barely any hops

O: Passable and that's about it

Dec 19, 2019
EJPA_0425 from California

2.49/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Not sure why a lot of people like this beer. Has an amberish golden blonde color with a decent head. Doesn't smell like anything special, almost like Heineken. Tastes light, easy to drink, and bready. Even though it's considered an ale it tastes more like a lager. Even though I much prefer heavier beers, I would recommend this to anyone who prefers light beers and can't stand the hoppy ones so good job for that.

Dec 12, 2019
Advriderjoe

1.53/5  rDev -56.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

A simple blond beer. Nothing fancy. Found at Costco, figured I'd give it a try. Nothing really to rave about. Simple with minimal after taste or aromas. Cheers.

Dec 01, 2019
mblakesley from California

2.5/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I haven't had this beer in a while but I remember liking it. But as I'm sipping it now, it mainly just seems... bland. It's got a wheaty taste and there's just not that much else going on. It's not bad, and I'm sure it'd be better with food or on a hot day, but wow is it not great either.

Nov 28, 2019
bret27 from California

3.63/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Light clear straw yellow.
Light sweet floral scent.
Same with taste but with a hint of crisp hoppy-ness. Honey also.
Emphasis on light and friendly.
Reminiscent of St Pauli Girl without skunkiness. Basic blond.
Weak but I’m sure appropriate for blond style.

Nov 23, 2019
Mekz91

3.79/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Drank straight from a bottle, the first few sips tasted like a slightly above average "regular" beer but reminded me of licking blood. Can't say too many people have tasted blood but blood has a very distinct taste and tongue feel AND the aftertaste of this beer was very reminiscent of licking a bloody wound out of curiousity but, not in a bad way. Blood is the currency of the soul, the vehicle of life, and this beer made blood taste good in my opinion

Nov 23, 2019
Gordono from Nevada

3.93/5  rDev +12.6%

Firestone Walker’s entry into mass-market appeal. I don’t mean that in a bad way. It’s a very good beer. A great beer for the price-point. I drink a lot of it.

Nov 21, 2019
805 Blonde Ale from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 79 out of 100 with 1157 ratings