Pivo Pils | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Pivo PilsPivo Pils

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: German Pilsener

Added by UCLABrewN84 on 07-22-2012

Reviews: 283 | Ratings: 1,876
1.97/5  rDev -50.6%

This beer is just a hair better then Miller Lite. Not kidding. looks like water, has a bland dry with just a little bit of hops added. Maybe this is what they were going for. I guess for a beer to introduce non craft beer types, this would be a great start.

This is coming from someone who loves IPA's, (hophead) but I also enjoy/drink miller lite, landshark, etc. This beer is just an overpriced boring beer. If you see it, move your hand over to the miller lite box and save a few dollars.

2.81/5  rDev -29.6%

Out of the Bottle
Very nice straw/gold color. Proper carbonation and a nice white head that left a healthy lace after dissipating. Flavor is dominated by the hops. Though a spicy hop character is appropriate for a pils, I think this one was too much for the style. The bitterness had an astringent quality that lingers on the tongue for quite awhile. There is little to no contribution from the malt side to balance the bitterness and the yeast was neutral.

2.91/5  rDev -27.1%

A: Very light straw colour with a very nice white as snow head.

S:Classic German hop aroma, a bit to heavy for a German style Pils

T: The flavor is all hops. Overwhelming hop profile, covers up the pilsner malty flavor, dry finish.

M: Nice carbonation, with a dryish lager finish and a hop kick.

O:Not to style, easy drinking and enjoyable..... Once you get use to the hop avalanche that comes at you with out warning. Hence the low score.

2.92/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Consumed March 27th, 2014 at Blue Palms Brewhouse, Hollywood CA.

Appearance: beer is an extremely pale light gold. One finger white head quickly becomes splotchy lacing.

Aroma is grassy and grainy.

Flavor is malt forward: cereal (corn and rice?). Slight amount of citrus, then a thin bitterness. Very simple flavor profile.

Moderately dry.

Lacking in floral or spicy hop notes, this beer did not satisfy. Have had from a bottle as well and did not enjoy then, either. Will not have this one again.

2.93/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

From a can. I like that I can now get Firestone's beer in cans. Poured into a pint glass.

Fizzy and Yellow. Looks like Rolling Rock, or Bud. No Lacing, head dissipates quickly.

A bit of a hoppy smell upon opening the can. But the smell is lost halfway through the beer.

The taste has that nasty part of the cheap European Pilsners that I've come to dislike. The hoppy flavors have that nasty bite that not-so-good IPAs sometimes present.

Sticky feel, like some of the Octoberfests, that I don't care for.

Overall. Not my thing at all.

I have loved everything else that i have ever had from Firestone. This is disappointing.

Extremely dry, with a large bitter hop presence. No flavor from the hops other than the bitterness though. This just did not work for me, mainly because it was so dry with no hint of balancing sweetness to speak of.

Would Drink Again: No
Would Purchase Again: No

3.04/5  rDev -23.8%

The BAers are raving about this beer, so I think I know what to expect...

Bottled on 7/26/13, so not terribly old.

A -- Good clear straw yellow with a good-looking white head that settles pretty quickly to a thin cap.

S -- Spicy, piny hops with mild DMS.

T -- Fleeting malt sweetness up front that is quickly overwhelmed by hops with a spicy, resiny character and near astringent bitterness. The sweet maltiness tries to make a comeback in the finish, but the resiny bitterness holds tight into the aftertaste.

M -- Mouthfeel is soft to dry with a light body.

O -- While drinkable enough, clearly not what I'd call a Pilsner -- of either German or Bohemain variety. The lack of any real malt character and the resiny hop bitterness make this beer more akin to an IPA (big draw there, no?) than a Pilsner. I'm sure this is Firestone's answer to the IPL, and thus the excitement from BA members, but I'd sooner know that "Pilsner" on the label is giving me that style.

3.08/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: The label is sharp-looking, definitely stands out in a store. The beer's color once poured into the glass is slightly darker than your average pilsner, in my opinion (maybe a slight green tinge?) The head stuck around for a little while as well.

Smell: As a brewer, I like that this beer smells hoppy, at least compared to something like Scrimshaw. Reminds me of a summer brew day. Very light aroma, but you've gotta give a golden lager credit when nothing smells "off".

Taste: Disappointing, as far as I'm concerned. Starts with a tiny malty flavor near the middle of the tongue, but fades into straight-up grass near the back of the mouth. 80% or so of what I taste comes from bittering hop. Unbalanced, as far as I'm concerned. Tastes better half-way through the glass then at the beginning, though. Maybe my palate is just different from the average reviewer?

Feel: Definitely saves this beer a bit. Fuller than I expected; if it was any less, I wouldn't be inclined to finish the glass.

Overall: I think Firestone will get its loyal fans hooked on the design and the hoppiness, but not me, sadly. And I'm not a Firestone hater, by any means! I just bought two bottles of their new Double DBA release and LOVED it (the first bottle, I mean; the second is for aging). I just don't feel the need to buy this one again.

3.1/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a tulip. The look is suprisingly clear with a light golden tinge. I was not a big fan of the smell, it was slightly hoppy with hints of citrus and a bit of signature Pilsner aroma. The taste was much more impressive than the look and smell. It went down very smooth especially for a 5.3%, but the hop taste was still present in just the right amount. Overall this was a good beer, not an instant favorite but definitely a solid Pilsner from a solid brewery

3.11/5  rDev -22.1%

12 oz bottle. Pours clear straw yellow with a big frothy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet bready malts and noble hops with a little fruit.

The flavor is sweet toasted malts with a good size grassy noble hop finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, a solid hoppy pils.

3.13/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.25

Thin, prickly body that wasn't satisfying to drink. Simple pils flavor but lacks the drinkability of a classic example. Also lacks the complexity and full body of a Prima. Overall forgettable, like a generic brewpub blonde. It isn't badly made, but there are a number of other pale lagers I'd go with first.

3.21/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

"Pivo Hoppy Pils." Served on-draught into a pilsner glass at South in Santa Monica. Cost was $3.00. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a one finger head of white colour, okay cream, decent thickness, and pretty good (~3 minute) retention. Body colour is a clear pale yellow. Standard fare for the style. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Pale malts. Surprisingly hoppy character for the style; prominent floral hop character. Crisp clean barley. An average strength aroma.

T: Crisp clean pale malt base. Floral hop character. Decent balance. Complex for a pilsner, but not shockingly so. Enjoyable. Not very subtle.

Mf: Smooth, wet, clean, and crisp. Slight overcarbonation. Good thickness. Good body. Suits the flavour profile.

Dr: Drinkable and enjoyable. I'd have it again. A surprisingly tasty pilsner from Firestone Walker.

High C+

***
10/04/2015: brief impressions from a can.

Clean drinking, with crisp overcarbonation, a grassy hop profile, and a clean pilsner malt body.

After quadruple decoction Czech pilsners, this drinks like a competent offering in the style at best. Not world class, but well worth trying - and a nice break from the overbearing big bold beers so often prioritized by American craft breweries (including Firestone Walker).

C+

3.27/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Transparent yellow-gold with a large foamy head that dies off to a thin spotty mat.

Light citrus and cracker malt are featured on the nose.

Taste is of weed wacker residue, faint pine and lemon, with a very gentle bite of hop bitterness.

A mouthfeel of very cushioned carbonation, yet not overly bubbly.

This is more like a session IPA or APA. The hops definitely take an American slant for the style, which might be detrimental to an official judgement, but still, for a pilsener, it's tasty.

3.27/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle given to me by one of my good beer customers when he was out in the area. Supposedly, FW is going to start sending their full core lineup out to NJ in October, so I've been told, though right now we can't get Union Jack, so we'll see. Poured into a Weizen glass because I don't have any Pilsner glasses, so this is my best improv.

AP: Like coloured water with a light gold/yellow tinge. Can see right through this. Constant stream of bubbles flowing from bottom to top with a 1" foamy white head that settles down a 1/4" with a good amount of lacing on the side of the glass.
AR: Very bready and yeasty with cereal grains and dry grass. Very light floral/herbal notes in the background. Honestly thought I'd get more hops in the aroma, but mostly this smells like a typical Pilsner.
T: Much like the aroma, but a bit more doughy. A faint bitterness on the aftertaste, again only with very light floral/herbal notes and maybe a trace of some spice like coriander and white pepper. This is decent, but I was hoping for more in the taste in the way of the Saphir hops. I've had German beers with Saphir hops in them before that were more assertive than this.
M: The visual would make you think this would be very carbonated, but it's only moderately so, though enough to make for a creamy mouthfeel and a dry cleansing finish.
OV: A bit underwhelming, TBH. A decent Pilsner, but not as hoppy as advertised, IMO. I just didn't get enough of the Saphir hop flavour nor much spiciness.

3.28/5  rDev -17.8%

I had a pint at the FW brewery in Paso Robles. Pivo being Czech for 'beer', I was expecting a traditional European Pilsner. Although this is a well made beer, it violates my sense of what a Pilsner should be. I've had many, many Pilseners from Germany. This is too hoppy. And it's the wrong kind of hops.

Why do American brewers feel they have to indiscriminately dump tons of cascade hops into everything?

3.29/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Had rated this previously but wanted to give some details. While not a good looking beer it has a real good aroma. The hop citrus is there to give this one a much better aroma than most pils. But the taste really misses, it has all the bad of hops (bitter) without the great flavor enhancements. This is basically a bitter bomb pils, not very enjoyable.

3.33/5  rDev -16.5%

Look: Finger and a half of slightly off white head has pretty okay retention. This beer is hazy pale straw in color. Average lacing. An occasional bubble rises from the bottom of the glass.

Smell: Aluminum metallic hops. Slight biscuit malt and an underlying fruit. Lemon and... Green apple?

Taste: More of the same. Biscuit is a bit more pronounced. A little bit to sweet for a pils, in my opinion.

Feel: Medium bodied. Carbonation is a bit understated. A little coarse.

Overall: Kind of reminds me of a dry hopped cider. Really interesting. Not really indicative of the style. Decent beer though. Good beer for passing out on the back of a riding mower but I don't think I will be revisiting this very soon.

3.34/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

From a bottle. Very light gold color, with a quickly dissipating white, foamy head. Mild floral hop aromas. Medium mouth feel with quite a bit of carbonation. Nice balanced flavors, with lemongrass and bitterness most prevalent.

3.38/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle, with bottled on date 07/17/2013 printed on the label. Got a single of this in a mixed six pack from the local Binny's. My second review of a Firestone Walker beer on BeerAdvocate.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours a brilliant clear lager golden yellow with two fingers of soft fluffy bubbly bone white head. Some scattered lacing, but not much.

S - Smell is bland: dusty malt, grain, corn, earth, some light citrus, and a bitter type of smell that I can only describe as oily and "fishy".

T - Taste is a bit more impressive than the nose. Crisp carbonation, bready malt, grains, some pine, and the very apparent presence of earthy German hops. Has some of that same crisp bitter German hop presence that I tasted in the Stone 17th Anniversary Götterdämmerung IPA.

M - Feel ends quick, clean, and dry.

Overall, a smooth, clean, easy drinking beer, but it was less than memorable. It suits the style, but I guess it just wasn't for me. There was something here I didn't enjoy very much. A simple classic pilsner, worth trying at least once.

Firestone Walker Pivo Hoppy Pils ---3.5/5

3.41/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is an ok, average beer when compared to other types of beers, such as IPA's, but in the Pilsner category this is probably the best pilsner I've had, but I don't like Pilsners. Take that into account when reading this. No mistaking it, this is a Pilsner, it tastes like a Pilsner, and looks like a Pilsner, but the taste has something most Pilsners miss, and that's some flavor. Set this beer down next to a Budweiser and just by looking at it, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference, but after tasting it there would be no doubt. I would say people who prefer IPA's over Pilsners and Lagers will still not really like this beer, or find it average at best. However, Pilsner drinkers (Czech and German beer drinkers) will find it refreshingly better than most Pilsners that come out of the US.

3.41/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Can from real ale.com in Twickenham. Decent, lots of hops, fruity and grassy. Very crisp in the malts and the actual carbonation. Good but wouldn't jump to it again.

3.42/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a brilliant clear straw golden color with a fluffy 2 finger white head. Retention is moderate and there are some hanging chunks of lacing.

Smell is very hoppy. Fresh cut grass, citrus, earthiness and a slight bit doughy, bready malt.

Taste is similar, but more balanced. Kind of bland. Really lacking that peppery spice that I like in my pilsners.

Feel is light, but honestly not very crisp and the finish is not as dry as I would like.

Overall decent. I bought a 6 pack of this bc many people said it was their favorite pils in one of the forums, so it was kind of a let down. I certainly wouldn't turn it down if someone gave this to me, but I definitely would not seek it out again.

3.43/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From notes taken yesterday:

The lightest cloudiness, but consistent throughout. Straw-gold with light, fine, delicate, pillowy head of white. Grains and just a touch of honey on the nose. Grains again on the palate, not so the honey. But also grass and crackers. Despite name, doesn’t seem that much more hoppy than most other German-style Pilsners I’ve encountered. Although, it could just be that the brewers truly mastered the art of balance, masking the IBUs on this one. On the other hand, what hops that are here aren’t necessarily just the flowery German Noble variety. They seem to be here for the most part, but apparently in addition to slightly more lemony, rindy, peppery hops. And yet doesn’t taste to much like a Czech Pilsner. They changed things around a little, for sure. But as far as hoppy lagers go, I’m glad they didn’t try to pass this off as an “IPL.” Highly drinkable, refreshing. Body could be medium, or at least it’s not too thin, especially with how creamy these suds are.

3.44/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

So... I suppose I should give a little disclaimer at the beginning here. I will admit I do not really like Pilsners. The malts and yeasts combine to create what I can only feel is a stale flavour. That being said, I can still recognize well crafted content.

This pours as you would imagine a pilsner to look. Pale straw yellow, minimal white head.

The nose presents pilsner malts and yeast. Not much else. Smells fresh.

The aroma gives way to the palate pretty straightforward-ly. Malts, yeast, a bit of bitter on the back end. As mentioned above, I'm no expert on pilsners. This seems like a talented presentation of the style: generally crisp and clean. My main complaint is that there is a weird... afterfeeltastething... reminscent of baking soda/alum on the tongue. A texture that is difficult to put into words.

3.45/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A - Very pale yellow gold with small head that quickly dissipates.

S - Bready. Can't find the hops.

T - Malty graininess and bitter, but not in the hoppy way I was expecting Was expecting more on the hop side of things in terms of flavour. Very smooth and clean.

M - Smooth and crisp and clean. Lots of bubblies.

O - Not what I was expecting, wanted a more of a IPA hop taste mixed with a pilsner feel. Instead, got mostly a pilsner.

Pivo Pils from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.