Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Firestone 16 - Anniversary Ale | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Firestone 16 - Anniversary AleFirestone 16 - Anniversary Ale
4.35/5
Outstanding
Firestone 16 - Anniversary AleFirestone 16 - Anniversary Ale

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
firestonewalker.com

Added by AgentMunky on 11-15-2012

Ratings: 1,129 |  Reviews: 168

3.56/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

a: This was just a degree shy of being pitch black. It poured with the thin, khaki colored fizzy head.

s: Absolutely dominated by whiskey and naked oak aromas. There were hints of vanilla, roaty malts, grassy hops, and caramel; but they were quite mild when compared to the bordering on harsh barrel notes.

t: Up front I tasted a boozy, too heavily hopped big stout. I could find some roastiness, caramel, and maybe a hint of fruit, but the surprisingly strong grassy hop note wad distracting. There was nice, strong whiskey flavor towards the middle that was quickly brushed aside by woody, bitter astringency.

m: Thin or silky depending on your overall level of enjoyment I suppose.

o: I liked this more than my review suggests, but overall I am disappointed. I'm very glad that I shared this one. 22 ounces would have been kind of a chore. The pale ales in the blend came through too strongly in my opinion, making this drink almost like a wateted down or diluted stout. The barrel notes were good, but more vanilla would have been welcome. The underlying beer came across as a kind of random hodgepodge of beer. I've never tried any of the beers in this blend, but my suspicion is that a lot of great beers were sacrificed to make a slightly above average one.

4.19/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle into my Chimay goblet. Pours out an intense, dark chocolate brown with a quarter inch of light brown head. Very minimal lace, expected due to the 13% ABV.

Chocolate, plum, vanilla, oak, coffee and earth make up the smell. Booze creeps in as it warms, but not as much as expected.

Plum, toffee, oak and booze (whiskey/brandy) combine right up front. The booze isn't that hot, but the flavor remains. Grassy hops, vanilla and chocolate touch down around the middle. Finishes with a slight coffee and citrus note. Goes down smooth for being such a big beer.

Malt driven strong ales aren't really up my style alley, but every once in a while I get a craving. This one suited my craving just fine, complex and full of flavor. I would place this above the past few Firestone Anniversary releases.

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

2.75/5  rDev -36.8%

Firestone 16 - Anniversary Ale from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.35 out of 5 with 1,129 ratings