Hop On Top | Chameleon Brewing

Hop On TopHop On Top

Chameleon Brewing
Wisconsin, United States
chameleonbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by BeerFMAndy on 02-09-2010

2.65/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

1.04/5  rDev -61.2%

3.3/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.29/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

From BeerAdvocate Magazine #90 (July 2014):

Floral, Crackers, Herbal, Thin

Love the effort and uniqueness of this brew, while the bitterness is extremely low for a pale ale the hop flavor. Wet and a bit thin with a decent amount of crispness which lends a touch of graininess. This is a great learning brew to pick out hop flavor, as for actually drinking think of it has true hop water.

STYLE: American Pale Ale | ABV: 4.2% | AVAILABILITY: Year-round

1.15/5  rDev -57.1%

2.59/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.25/5  rDev -16%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

1.75/5  rDev -34.7%

Maybe a bad bottle not sure. No head. The carbonation is Gone quickly. Cant drink anymore. Rancid. Must be infected.

2.13/5  rDev -20.5%

Two 2 sips and dumped in sink. Yuck.

2.5/5  rDev -6.7%

2.5/5  rDev -6.7%

2.75/5  rDev +2.6%

4.05/5  rDev +51.1%

Probably like many others, I was intrigued by the label's promise of delivering hop aroma In a session beer. The aroma is very interesting - a complex blend of fruit and floral, vegetative, and skunk? No, it didn't quite go there but left me with something that I sort of recognize but can't quite name. This something makes me want more, if only I could name it... What hops do they use? I checked the brewers website and it says Willamette, Tettnang, cascade, and. . . Dried flowers? Assuming they don't mean hop flowers, this is a bait and switch, making me think I'll be smelling lots of hops when in fact the aroma is something else. It's got me thinking summer flowers when it's below zero. It's a bit of a mind trick but it won me over.

1.5/5  rDev -44%

2.75/5  rDev +2.6%

1.75/5  rDev -34.7%

2.8/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

The Hop On Top is a bit dissappointing. While it is much better than the standards...the name brings high expectations. There is no question that this beer would be great to session on hot days....but if I compare it to others in its style...it just will not eank that high. The beer pours a light golden color with thin white head that is leaving a spotty lace. The scent carries bitter piney hop scent. The taste is mild bitterness and yet somewhat refreshing. The mouthfeel is light in body with decent carbonation. Overall it is ok....for those going to a company picnic in the dead of summer....this beer is a life saver.

1.85/5  rDev -31%

Okay. I recently was in Milwaukee, and while there, I figured I could find some really good craft beer. I should have just stuck with the Miller/Coors Tour. I knew no one from the area and had nothing to go on, so I took a couple of stabs in the dark and Hop on Top was one of them.
A- Bought the six based on the artwork on the carrier/bottle (note to self-don't do that) Beer was clear, light, clean looking.
S-Nice, hoppy, cirtusy
T-Wow! If there is an animal that eats only cilantro and field grass, this would taste like its urine.
M-like drinking the above
O-like experiencing the above
I expected more from the Milwaukee craft scene.

1.25/5  rDev -53.4%

1.76/5  rDev -34.3%

Pours a pretty clean looking gold/orange. Very slight head, slight lacing. Looks little thin. Nothing totally off-putting.

Smell is wierd...reminds me of some really old hops I came across while homebrewing. Lemon? Asprin? Something along those lines. Not good.

Just awful, like the smell but with a terrible, vomit-like aftertaste. Why would they choose to sell this beer?

Mouthfeel is okay. Doesn't come across as thin as it looks in the pour. Not exactly crisp but cut the carbonation is there and it drinks somewhat smooth.

This is an awful awful beer. I could only make it through a third of of it, and I generally try to make it a point to finish every beer I review. Don't let your curiousity get the best of you, don't buy this beer.

Hop On Top from Chameleon Brewing