Extra Smutty Bitter | Epic Ales

Extra Smutty BitterExtra Smutty Bitter

Epic Ales
Washington, United States
epicales.com

Style: Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB)

Added by hreb on 12-17-2013

2.3

Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

2.3/5  rDev 0%

Epic Ales' Extra Smutty Bitter: Ale brewed with cuitlacoche (corn mushroom, or corn smut, a fungus), a British-style ESB. 4.8% alc/vol and 35 IBUs. Unfiltered.

This 22oz bottle pours way dark brown. Could be a red ale (if red ales were really dark), but not an ESB. Then again it has too much fungus in it to be an ESB, too... Aroma is pretty mild and not unlike a pale ale. Flavorwise, however, this is SERIOUSLY sour. I did not see that coming. I do enjoy cuitlacoche but expected something a little more savory or herbal. No, this is a saison, or perhaps a mushroom lambic. I wish they would publish International Sourness Units on labels in addition to IBUs because I feel totally unqualified to review this -- sour beers are not my thing. Back back to listing reasons this does not resemble British ESB: it's aggressively carbonated. And I find it very wet in the aftertaste/mouthfeel department, as if the residual sugar was too high (though surely not -- see above re: sourness).

Someone else should review this because if I finish this bottle it's going to be out of pure stubbornness.

Extra Smutty Bitter from Epic Ales