Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

The Fuj | Epic Ales

YOUR RATING = None |
Awaiting 10 Reviews

Epic Ales
Washington, United States | website

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by dirtylou on 09-04-2011

2.6

Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 5
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.87/5  rDev +48.8%

22oz bottle, black wax.

"Flavored malt beverage brewed with black and white peppercorns."

no clue how to classify this - 18 reviews on the "other site" and none here. Come on people.

appearance: served in a irish pint, dark garnet body, light tan froth with decent retention

smell: jeez - smoke, char, peppercorn, sweet malt, distant tartness

taste: really bizarre - love the use of mutliple varietals of peppercorns, earthy tobacco, spicy peppercorn, smoke, a little tart / a little sweet. Very difficult to describe - it all comes together in a way that is, if nothing else, quite interesting. I like what Epic is up to - kind of like Furthermore on peyote.

mouthfeel: smoky and spicy, light tartness

overall: interest. not great, not bad, but interesting.

1.72/5  rDev -33.8%

Epic Ales... This is an Epic FAIL.

Out of the last 200 beers I've tasted... This is the first one I actually found myself fearing my next sip.

Sip #1... "Wow! What just happened. This is interesting and bizarre!"

Sip #2... "Whew! That is sour pepper!"

Contemplating Sip #3... "Should I dump this out now? Or try one more time?"

Sip #3... "Dang! I can't do it. Its just too much pepper! Too much vinegar!!! I'm dumping this Fuj!"

* try sprinkling over fish and chips.

(I may have beer able to dig out more complexities... But I had no desire to push on.)

1.46/5  rDev -43.8%

I had high hopes for this Seattle company as I was visiting the area and wanted to try something I could not get in my home state.

I really am pretty easy to please and most things I can find a certain level of satisfaction in. I see the glass half full in most all situations and find the good wherever it can be found.

This beer took my optimism and threw it overboard. I felt at first taste as if I was listening to a Bjork CD for the first time....need to warm up to it. The second sip made me consider if my tastebuds were not ready for such a different taste. By the third taste, I had realized that I was tasting utter nastiness.

I am still a half full glass kind of guy, and that is exactly how full I left this glass of beer. As I stood up from my balcony, I couldn't even bare to pour it out on the evergreen trees two stories below.

I was looking for something I couldn't get in my hometown, and now I am hoping this beer stays that way.

The Fuj from Epic Ales
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.