Nooner Batch 8 (Hazelnut RareR DOS) | Peg's Cantina & Brew Pub

Nooner Batch 8 (Hazelnut RareR DOS)Nooner Batch 8 (Hazelnut RareR DOS)
Retired

Average: 4.62 | pDev: 7.79%

Reviews: 21 | Ratings: 163

American Imperial Stout

ABV: 10.50% | Availability: Limited (brewed once)

Wants   Gots

Peg's Cantina & Brew Pub
Florida, United States

Notes: This beer is retired; no longer brewed.
World-Class
Nooner Batch 8 (Hazelnut RareR DOS)Nooner Batch 8 (Hazelnut RareR DOS)
Reviews: 21 | Ratings: 163
3.59/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Black with tan head.

The hazelnuts show a lot. Very toasty and nutty. Had a butterscotch flavor to it. Not my favorite of the cycle stouts, but worth a try.

4.6/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Incredible stuff. Huge hazelnut, reminds me of coffee creamer but no coffee feel. Crazy creamy goodness, this was an incredibly well done beer. Awesome stuff!

4.31/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Recently nabbed a handful of Cycle stouts in a few trades after wanting to see what they hype was all about. Drank from a 32oz Crowler, unsure off fill date, but it was from when they emptied out all their remaining kegs and sold them all in crowlers. Probably should have had this the second I got it, since the person I got it from had already held onto it for well over a month. Anyway, by the time I opened it on 10/11/15, it still tasted great, but the hazelnut aroma and taste were nowhere to be found. I'm not usually a huge hazelnut fan so I feel like I definitely would have been tasting it strongly, but it just wasn't there. However, upon opening I was assaulted (in a great way) by huge fudge/chocolate notes.

The chocolate aroma is so strong that it hits you while the glass is still a couple feet away from sipping. It actually reminds me a lot of Even More Jesus from Evil Twin. Some nice coffee notes in there too, but the coffee is still somewhat subdued or rather overwhelmed by the milk chocolate and brownie taste. There is also a definite sweetness to it, which I kept on wanting to think was due to the hazelnuts that I was searching for in vain, but I think it was much likelier the barrel character from the rum barrels. On the whole, really bummed that I didn't get to taste this beer as it was intended to taste and in the manner which most reviewers seem to have experienced it. However, I tried not to let that affect my ratings too much, as it was still an extremely tasty stout that stands alone well and that I would happily drink again if accessible.

4.36/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Really delicious hazelnut. This is dessert. Huge hazelnut nose and taste. Impressive execution of that flavor. The base beer is just a hint too thin to carry the barrel and the hazelnut. Lacked a richness to round out those flavors.

4.38/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful nose with a lot of hazelnut and spiced barrel. Taste is very similar and good, but not quite living up to the nose. Solid finish. Very good overall beer, bummer this is the last of the rarer dos beers.

Quite possibly the best beer I've had to date. The only other beers I've ever had that can compare are Nutulhu and KBBS.

Taste, Mouthfeel, Smell: All amazing. The hazelnuts come through perfectly in the nose. The mouthfeel is silky wave after wave. The taste is chocolate dipped hazelnuts.

4.08/5  rDev -11.7%

On draft at 2 year anniversary party. The hazelnuts have faded, but the aroma is still amazing with toffee, fudge, oak and vanilla. Rum is soft, but blends nicely. The oak gives it a smoked flavor, but turns a bit tannic on the finish. Taste is slightly medicinal, but the toffee and fudge flavors are amazing. Mouth feel is light to medium and silky smooth. This is delicious even with a couple flaws.

4.44/5  rDev -3.9%

Got this sexy brew from 7clutch recently. Cheers dude, as always!

From a bomber into a snifter
December 2014
Hazelnut RareR DOS

APPEARANCE: A careful pour comes out thick black and opaque, yielding a large, three finger slightly foamy and bubbly, dark tan head with good retention. Head quietly fizzes and pops down to a full cap and clings to the sides a bit. Jet black body and higher levels of carbonation on this one. Half wisp remains leaving some decent lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Huge nose full of hazelnuts. Really strong aromas here. Hazelnuts all over the place, milk chocolate, vanilla cream, and a touch of roasted malt and toffee as well. Still, this is like a hazelnut chocolate milk shake. Really big and candy like.

TASTE: Follows suit nicely. Decadent milk chocolate, vanilla and lots of hazelnut up front. Really flavorful and milkshake like. Big finish of more nuts, sweet vanilla cream, milk chocolate, some oak is there with toffee notes and some coffee flavors. Really decadent. Hazelnut chocolate chip cookies and cream. Lovely.

PALATE: Medium body and slightly higher levels of carbonation. A little light on the palate, could use a touch more weight, creamy, goes down fine and finishes a touch drier than expected. No heat or booze. Fine, but a little lighter and fluffier than expected.

OVERALL: This is a wonderful brew. The nose is nuts, literally and figuratively, and the flavor follows suit beautifully. The feel could be a little heavier for the style, but it’s a minor point on a beer so flavorful and decadent as this. Really, really good stuff that I’m glad I got to try out. Thanks again 7clutch. This was a beauty.

3.29/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This beer, wow. Is this a beer? I'm not entirely sure. It tasted like straight up hazelnut creamer mixed with alcohol. I only had about 3 ounces of it and I could barely stomach it. Also the mouthfeel was a little thinner than rarer dos. It might have been better had they used some coffee to tone it down a little.

3.36/5  rDev -27.3%

I really dont see the fuss behind this beer. Regular RareR DOS is a far superior beer. This was much thinner and the only above mediocre aspect of the beer was the smell. It smelled great but tasted like the added a hazelnut version of almond milk to RareR DOS. I would never bother trading for this again.

4.61/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Was fortunate to get a sample of this beer at a tasting. The look of the beer is black with a smell tan head on it. The smell is loaded with hazelnut aromas. It smells bangin'. The taste shows off those massive hazelnut flavors that the nose is leading to. The feel is rich like most imperial stouts. Overall it's awesome if you like hazelnut, if you don't you may wanna stay away from this beer.

4.38/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Black body. Deep khaki head. Chunky collar.

Smell - Wow. The hazelnuts smell incredible. Nutty. Fudgy. Rum barrel isn't that intense, but works its way in nicely.

Taste - Well, it was never going to taste as good as it smelled, but it tastes really good. Rum is sharp right up front. Oak. Then the hazelnuts hit and give it a rich nutty flavor. Deep roasted malt in the finish with a lingering rum flavor.

Mouthfeel - Medium heavy. Boozy from the rum. Medium carbonation.

Overall - Very tasty, but a stunning aroma.

4.74/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Shared with 2 friends on Super Bowl Sunday. Glad I did not trade this away. Better as it warmed slightly. Lots of Rum on the nose with a great chocolate and rum soaked hazelnut finish. Delicious

4.87/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Oh boy!

-Jet black with a half a finger brown head. Some gorgeous lacing coats my glass.

-Smell of Hazelnut dipped in milk chocolate with a kiss of rum (Rum barrels?) strong cocoa presence.

-mmmm Nutela in a glass. taste of Hazelnut and milk chocolate. The Hazelnut has a strong presence that balances with the chocolate. light roasted malt presence. Also i get some darks fruits in there (Raisins?)

-Full bodied. This is a very thick Stout, but also go down smooth. Slight stickiness on my lips.

-Overall, a delicious sipping beer. Perfect for dessert.

4.98/5  rDev +7.8%

That smell, man that's what chocolate and hazelnuts are supposed to do. I saw @thereal_adam on his magical unicorn as he was nearly swept away by the strongest urge to pause and grab a box of cocoa puffs to make sure he wasn't dreaming.

What do I mean? It really was that good. Nice ooey gooey chocolate and subtle hazelnuts whose roast you can take in on the nose. Thank you to him, what an aweskme BA, for sharing this beauty with us! Must get MOAR!!!!

4.96/5  rDev +7.4%

This was amazing. While I was drinking this beer I left my body and hovered above myself and watched as I drank it. It was hard to tell, but I'm pretty sure I saw myself ride a unicorn while drinking this beer.
The smell was crazy, it smelled of coco puffs to me, I'm sure it was some deception put on by the hazelnuts, but it smelled wonderful. I wanted to capture this smell and make it a smell for those scentsy candle things that all the woman go crazy for. As the beer touched my lips, fireworks began going off around, the taste was overwhelming me with a feeling of wonderfulness. There was still some coco puffs going on, but mostly just the hazelnuts, and they dominated this beer. If you enjoy Grey Monday, get this beer now, it will blow your mind.
There are few beers that I drink and feel I must go out of my way to trade for again, this beer might be one of them.

3.93/5  rDev -14.9%

this is thick like most other cycle stouts, but the amount of hazelnut is overwhelming. It looks great, smells super hazelnutty, tastes pretty good, but I dont get the overall hype for this beer.

4.78/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This beer is as close to perfect for an adjunct stout I've ever had. It's way better than Grey Monday. Holy shit. Smells like hazelnuts dipped in milk chocolate, and tastes the same. It may be a new top 5 beer of all time. Wow.

4.85/5  rDev +5%

Probably my favorite BA beer i've ever had from Cycle. The smell is straight up chocolate and hazelnuts. Taste is similar with a very strong, fresh hazelnut taste. I would not age this. Has a nice thick mouthfeel like most Cycle stouts.

4.69/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A--Slow tire black pour from draught into snifter. 3/4" thick dark brown head quickly recedes leaving a ring, wisps of head and a few spots of lacing as the glass empties.

S--If somebody blindfolded me and put this beer under my nose I would've told you it was a hot cup of Dunkin Donuts hazelnut coffee with cream and sugar. The roasted hazelnuts pervade along with coffee, but behind those scents lurks a pool of milk chocolate. I imagine this is what it smells like walking around in the Nutella factory. There's a little bit of a nice nutty cigar smoke and some sweet vanilla rounding it out. The rum is not particularly detectable compared to the non-adjunct RareR DOS.

T- Sweet nutty Nutella. Ferrero Rocher chocolates. Raisinettes. Am I chewing a Chunky candy bar (you know, with the silver wrapper)? Do they still make Chunky candy bars? I digress...

The back end finishes with more hazelnut coffee; slight bitterness but mostly swallowed by the sweet rummy vanilla. Sweetened coffe lingers for a while.

M- Smooth. Coats nicely. Not molasses but still has nice legs. Leaves sweet sticky lips.

O- A really nice treat. This is a sipping dessert beer that would probably pair really well with Bern's Macadamia Nut Ice Cream. If you like flavored hazelnut coffee, Nutella, etc, you will love it. If sweet nutty adjuncts are not your thing, then you probably won't be a superfan.

4.57/5  rDev -1.1%

DRAFT & BOTTLE

A: BLACK with golden leather head for a few moments
S: HAZEL NUT CREAMER blended with some spirits.
T: So well balanced, you smell hazelnut and taste the slightness of rum spirits and it finishes to a slight vanilla cream taste.
M: This is why Nooner is Nooner and DOS is DOS, perfect, rich and creamy mouth feel.
O: Really special, these guys are masters of the craft. A stout to share with friends.

Nooner Batch 8 (Hazelnut RareR DOS) from Peg's Cantina & Brew Pub