Peg's G.O.O.D. Rare D.O.S. | Peg's Cantina & Brew Pub

Peg's G.O.O.D. Rare D.O.S.Peg's G.O.O.D. Rare D.O.S.

Peg's Cantina & Brew Pub
Florida, United States
pegscantina.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Taste the rareness! Doug's Original Stout aged in Palm Ridge Reserve Whiskey barrels.

Added by glid02 on 11-18-2010

2.5/5  rDev -42.4%

3.38/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Thanks to Wowcoolman for sharing this one at his tasting.

Pours an almost opaque super dark crimson-brown with a foamy khaki head that settles fades to nothing. Small dots of lace slowly drip into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, cocoa, char, and bourbon aromas. Taste is much the same with sour cocoa and bourbon flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of roasty bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is an above average beer that is obviously infected but still is fairly drinkable in this state.

2.09/5  rDev -51.8%

16oz growler, July '13 release
Riedel tulip

A: Pours pitch black. Motor oil for sure. Thin wisps of deep tan that fades into just tiny bubbles around the edges. Leaves some lacing bits.

S: Diacytl on the nose. Think this got the infection issues sadly. Really over powers all the imperial stout notes I would be picking up. Get some dark cocoa puff hints.

T: Tart cherry flavor up front, from the infection. Really overpowers everything stout-like. You get traces of what would have been underneath. Slight vanilla, but its more on that butterscotch infected note. Booze heat on the finish. Dry red wine is actually a good description.

M: Full bodied but thinner than it appears.

*reviewing how I had it. I hope to try a non-infected batch ASAP.*

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

4.18/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

From a growler, second batch. Thanks to Mike M for hooking up this long-time want of mine! Rare D.O.S. pours out much RareR D.O.S. did; oily and black like squid's ink... The difference here is that an actual head build up on top of the black brew; deep tan, quarter-inch in size at first, but it instantly falls to nothingness - no ring, no skin, no nothing.

The aroma is rich and sweet, with notes of deep, chocolate fudge cake, whiskey-laced oak, light hints of cinnamon (I know there's no cinnamon in this beer, but something smells spicy), touches of barrel-forward vanilla, and a mold of some sweet, dark fruits; prunes and raisins covered in brown sugar. It's rich, it's chocolately, it's fudgy, boozy, and pretty sweet on the nose.

Lots of thick chocolate flavors bounce forward with the first sip, following that dense, fudge cake flavor profile closely. Lots of stuff going on here, with each sip bringing more out to the light: very mild cinnamon bun notes, sweet currants, dates, and plums, sweet caramel, dark fruit jam, woodsy coconut and vanilla notes, and plenty of whiskey and barrel-y oak.

The flavor profile is nice and complex, there's certainly a lot going on, and I'm pulling out a ton of stuff from this beer. But I don't absolutely *love* it like I should. I mean, reading over my notes, this sounds like a wet dream on paper... But taking each sip, I wasn't overwhelming with orgasmic flavor like I thought I would be.

Why doesn't this stroke me like it should? Well, I think it has to do with my astronomical expectations heading into this beer. That's not fair to the beer, I know. But it doesn't send me into beer nirvana like it should. I actually preferred RareR D.O.S. and the sweet rum and lightly tart dark fruits, and my expectations were high for that as well.

That said, this beer is still damn good. I mean, really, it's a great stout. And if a local brewery sold it near me, I'd probably have it all the time. But it's not worth giving up the farm for. It's awesome, but it's not going to be up there with the beers you dream of having again. Luckily, we didn't get one of the infected growlers, so that was a plus. Again, this beer is great - it's really damn good. But it's not the world beater it was made out to be.

2.75/5  rDev -36.6%

4.4/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Review #1300!

Pretty awesome experience at Peg's and then some. My wife and I just got back from a vacation to Disney/Universal and made the trek to the Tampa area for three days. Of course, I had to stop at Peg's. I had been keeping up with their Facebook two weeks prior to our visit and knew this beer had been and gone. We went into the place with no assumptions about getting to try it whatsoever... we just stopped by for great beer. However, that didn't stop me from asking the bartender about it. Once I did and identified myself as a beer geek active on BA, she gave me a smirk and whispered, "Just wait here (wink.... wink). The rest is history.

A: Poured inky, black, and very vicious. Sort reminded me of Venom from the Spider-Man lore. Not much head... just a few bubbles.

S: Understated overall, but a good bit of molasses, dates and figs. This was not a chocolate/cocoa-based beer.

T: The dark fruit stained the teeth even on the aftertaste. Wow... so unique! I got a slight bit of raw cacao on the finish on top of the fruit, but nothing to write home about.

M: Silky and creamy... approaching nitro tap even. I've noticed a lot of Peg's dark entries exhibit that trait. Thick, but still not snot-like.

O: I will rank this up there with amongst the best IS I've ever had on-tap!

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

2.1/5  rDev -51.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Have tried 4 growlers in the past two weeks from two separate trades. Review is based on all four.

A- Pours a deep brown with two bottles having a high level of carbonation creating a 2 finger head leaving plenty of lacing, while the other left small spots of lacing with minimal head.

S- Initially there is a decent amount of warm whiskey, a hint of vanilla and caramel with faint cherry notes. However, within a minute or two, the sour cherry becomes more prominent with some vinegar.

T- The sour cherry becomes more and more apparent with every sip with notes of band-aid. There are hints of whiskey, chocolate and vanilla, but the sour/acidic/medicinal flavors are prominent especially at the end of the sip.

M- Carbonation ranged from low to medium, with the sour cherry acidity lingering.

O- Unfortunately, I have yet to try this beer without having any infection issues. There are signs of promise for this beer, especially when you first open it up, but the infection is pretty apparent and makes the beer basically undrinkable. Drain pours after a couples sips for all four growlers.

1.5/5  rDev -65.4%