Peg's G.O.O.D. Rare D.O.S. | Peg's Cantina & Brew Pub

Peg's G.O.O.D. Rare D.O.S.Peg's G.O.O.D. Rare D.O.S.

Peg's Cantina & Brew Pub
Florida, United States
pegscantina.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Taste the rareness! Doug's Original Stout aged in Palm Ridge Reserve Whiskey barrels.

Added by glid02 on 11-18-2010

2.43/5  rDev -44%

16oz flip top growler opened on 7.31.13

A - Pours a deep dark black with a mosch brown head that moves to the edges.

S - Barrel, subtle booze, metallic.

T - Bourbon, wood, acidic- Slight cherry (Oh NO!) Some chcolate in the finish.

D - Good carbonation with heavier body, a sweet, sour finish.

O - A bit of a let down, infected. Lots of acidic and cherry tones.

4.89/5  rDev +12.7%

HUGE thanks to Sean via Wakefield for this tick that I missed by a day when I went to Hunahpu.. drank with the Chicago Crew... black body with almost no head... the aroma is unreal, awesome chocolate, fudge brownie, brown sugar, light sweet whiskey and coconut... one of the rare circumstances where the taste equals the nose, perfect fudge brownies with whiskey, a little roast and chocolate, and coconut, my only complaint is the very back of the finish is a bit alocholic... this is awesome and well worth heading to Peg’s for, Peg’s is the real deal

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

1.25/5  rDev -71.2%

3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

4.27/5  rDev -1.6%

Bottle shared by Ben - thanks! An imperial stout made by Peg's Cantina aged in whiskey barrels from a local distillery.

Pours black with a one-finger tan head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of lightly roasted malts with good amounts of semi-sweet chocolate and vanilla. Also present are mild amounts of earthy oak aromas that waft out every now and then.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though the roastiness is more intense and overpowers the whiskey to an extent. Large roasted malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by moderately bitter semi-sweet chocolate flavors. Midway through the sip mild amounts of vanilla work their way into things, fading out into a moderately bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a very nice thickness with grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is also very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall I was impressed with this beer as the flavors all worked well together. Worth a shot.

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

4.18/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

From a growler, second batch. Thanks to Mike M for hooking up this long-time want of mine! Rare D.O.S. pours out much RareR D.O.S. did; oily and black like squid's ink... The difference here is that an actual head build up on top of the black brew; deep tan, quarter-inch in size at first, but it instantly falls to nothingness - no ring, no skin, no nothing.

The aroma is rich and sweet, with notes of deep, chocolate fudge cake, whiskey-laced oak, light hints of cinnamon (I know there's no cinnamon in this beer, but something smells spicy), touches of barrel-forward vanilla, and a mold of some sweet, dark fruits; prunes and raisins covered in brown sugar. It's rich, it's chocolately, it's fudgy, boozy, and pretty sweet on the nose.

Lots of thick chocolate flavors bounce forward with the first sip, following that dense, fudge cake flavor profile closely. Lots of stuff going on here, with each sip bringing more out to the light: very mild cinnamon bun notes, sweet currants, dates, and plums, sweet caramel, dark fruit jam, woodsy coconut and vanilla notes, and plenty of whiskey and barrel-y oak.

The flavor profile is nice and complex, there's certainly a lot going on, and I'm pulling out a ton of stuff from this beer. But I don't absolutely *love* it like I should. I mean, reading over my notes, this sounds like a wet dream on paper... But taking each sip, I wasn't overwhelming with orgasmic flavor like I thought I would be.

Why doesn't this stroke me like it should? Well, I think it has to do with my astronomical expectations heading into this beer. That's not fair to the beer, I know. But it doesn't send me into beer nirvana like it should. I actually preferred RareR D.O.S. and the sweet rum and lightly tart dark fruits, and my expectations were high for that as well.

That said, this beer is still damn good. I mean, really, it's a great stout. And if a local brewery sold it near me, I'd probably have it all the time. But it's not worth giving up the farm for. It's awesome, but it's not going to be up there with the beers you dream of having again. Luckily, we didn't get one of the infected growlers, so that was a plus. Again, this beer is great - it's really damn good. But it's not the world beater it was made out to be.

4.33/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.5/5  rDev -19.4%

3.7/5  rDev -14.7%

A-dark brown lack color with a smallish tan head and a little hint of lace

S-dark malt, coffee, coffee, bourbon, light fruit, chocolate

T-dark malt, chocolate, some sour cherry, bourbon, coffee

F-medium body with light carbonation, smooth

O-infected, but not to the point if being undrinkable, hard to rate this accurately as a result

4.45/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had as a pre-game to the 2nd Annual Redneck Racin’ & Tastin’! Big thanks goes out to BRoss242 for this one! HOLY CRAP! I can’t believe I’m finally getting to tick this one! Served from growler into an Ommegang Three Philosophers chalice. Poured pitch black with a minimal light brown head. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, dark chocolate, wood, and milk chocolate. The flavor was of sweet malt, dark chocolate, wood, dark fruit, milk chocolate, and subtle sweet alcohol. It had a heavy feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this was a fairly great brew. I still can’t believe I got to tick this one after such a long time! This was a really well balanced and enjoyable brew. The chocolate note I got on this one was really the star of it for me while adding a nice vanilla note. The same could be said for the aroma as well to help out. Definitely one of the better brews I’ve had this year. A MUST try!

4.89/5  rDev +12.7%

Big ups for a balls out growler sharing from Sean via jw347 at our Memorial Day tasting.

A - Brown beer with a late rising brown head that stuck around for a second before fading to a bit of a tight ring with the slightest bit of lace.

S - Rich chocolate smell with some fudge, brown sugar, and a great solid whiskey taste if you're into that sort of thing (which I completely am). The balance of the hard liquor and roasted malts is unbelievable on this.

T - This might be the ultimate blend of chocolate, roasted malts, and whiskey. The whiskey is so well blended that it actually works well when it is hot. I can see this aging well and the whiskey mellowing, but it's only going to be good in a different way. This beer is ready to drink now and later. Awesome malt, barrel, and whiskey blend with the perfect touch of char and roasted malts. Wow, shocker in how good this is.

M - Rich, full bodied, moderate carbonation.

O - Had never heard of Peg's until this beer came out, but it is truly an amazing take on the style. I can't think of many beers of the style I've had lately that have been better than this.

3.52/5  rDev -18.9%

4.89/5  rDev +12.7%

Got this one from 7clutch a while back. Cheers man!

From a bomber into a snifter
Whisky barrel aged imperial stout

APPEARANCE: Pours a muddy, opaque black and yields a 2+ finger, medium looking, slightly creamy, mocha or dark tan head with very good retention. Black body with no carbonation evident. Had fades to a full creamy thick cap but leaves no lacing. A ring and slight splotchy wisp remain until the end and leave some decent lacing down the glass as it empties.

SMELL: Whisky, oak, sweet cream, vanilla and milk chocolate on the nose. Very bold and enticing. Coconut with some pure chocolate and fudge notes emerge as it sits as well. This is sublime. Very forthcoming and balanced. Decadent stuff.

TASTE: Oak, whisky, sweet cream and vanilla up front. More barrel notes at the swallow with milk chocolate notes as well, then a bold and persistent finish of whisky, oak, sweet vanilla cream, bitter pure chocolate, fudge brownies and some pure, bitter chocolate as well. Lots of barrel and decadent fudge and sweet chocolate and cream flavors. Big and relentless, lingering long after the swallow. Excellent.

PALATE: Full body and medium levels of carbonation. Lots of weight, thick on the palate, semi-creamy, goes down fine with a bit of a scratch and finishes sticky. Very little heat lingers on the palate, Thick and heavy.

OVERALL: Insanely good. Better than everyone says it is and better than I remember other samples I've had. This is definitely top 5 material for me, and I've been lucky to have made my way around the block a little bit. It's got all the aroma and flavor characteristics I love in the style, and the feel is right up my alley: big, thick and heavy. Loved every drop of this stuff and would love to see it again. Thanks again dboon. Lovely.

Peg's G.O.O.D. Rare D.O.S. from Peg's Cantina & Brew Pub