Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S. | Peg's Cantina & Brew Pub

Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S.Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S.

Peg's Cantina & Brew Pub
Florida, United States
pegscantina.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by MasterSki on 03-09-2012

Reviews: 106 | Ratings: 725
4.97/5  rDev +10.9%

Huge thanks to Rhettroactive for surprising us with this gem this evening. Bottle #21 poured from a 16oz swingtop into my Devil's Backbone tulip. It poured thick and black with a thin tan head clinging to edges of glass. Very dark and inviting.

The aroma has a very rich chocolate and toasted coconut flavor to it. Its a little like a dark chocolate and coconut brownie. A little boozy rum is there, bit it integrates very well. Very rich and sweet, a little desert like but really awesome aroma overall.

The taste shows a lot of toasted coconut and dark bittersweet chocolate. A little more of the rum is there but again really integrates and compliments well. Caramelized brown sugar and vanilla come out in the finish. I got a little more dark fruits as it warmed. So smooth and rich.

Mouthfeel thick and creamy with low carbonation. The slickness really is awesome and very fitting.

Overall it was a really fantastic beer. It was so smooth and rich. I loved the toasted coconut and vanilla flavors. Wow, this was an amazing beer. The rum barrel gave it some fantastic qualities that really sets it apart from the standard Bourbon barrel beers of the style. The barrel aging was perfectly done as well, so well integrated and complimenting. This really wasn't even on my radar because I've never really had any rum barrel beers that have impressed me, but this one completely blew me away tonight. This is definitely worthy of mention among the elite few top of the style for me.

4.94/5  rDev +10.3%

Growler shared by drabmuh. Hell yeah! Thanks Matt.

I don't have a Peg's glass like the other guys, but they let me have some anyhow.

The beer is dark brown with a small and fleeting beige head. The aroma brings a huge dose of bourbon, followed by some vanilla, oak, roast and chocolate. The flavor is simply fabulous. World class. Well balanced and just teeming with flavor. I am getting much more bourbon flavor than rum. Perhaps dark rum adds some molasses and dark fruit flavors. Complex, wonderful, sippable, chuggable. What can I say? A+

4.16/5  rDev -7.1%

On-tap at Peg's. Poured to a snifter on March 9, 2012. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - Quite black with a nice dark khaki/mocha head. Sticky without much retention.

Smell - Barrel notes. vanilla and oak. Rum is secondary, which is good because I don't love the rum aroma. Good chocolate behind everything. Really smells quite wonderful.

Taste - Rum is definitely more prominent in the taste. Sweet rum flavor with less barrel. Some vanilla and oak, but mostly rum. Chocolate and some bitterness. Good finish from the stout, but the rum lingers for a bit too long making it seem hot.

Mouthfeel - Tingly alcohol without being too boozy. Low carbonation. The lingering rum flavor is a bit unpleasant, though.

Overall - I don't think this is anywhere near as good as Rare DOS, but I'm in the minority. I find that the rum detracts more than it adds.

4.62/5  rDev +3.1%

Review from notes taken on the 5th of July at Pegs. This was another surprise handed to me by Doug. Just a nonchalant here give this a try as he slides a snifter infront of me and then proceeds to treat everyone else sitting at the bar with a sample. I had no idea what I was drinking until all but the last sip remained.

The brew appeared black in color with a thin, tight tan cap sitting across the top. As it faded, it produced spotty lacing on the glass. When held to the light, a thin ruby brown clarity can be seen around the edges.

The smell was rich of coconut, raison sweetness blending into a soft touch of alcohol. The roast of the grain imparts a smell of dark chocolate, licorice and almost a hint of spicy menthol coolness. It was obvious this was barrel aged but the light spice inclusion had me scratching my head.

The flavor of this brew strikes with caramel and toasty coconut and toffee with vanilla all from the barrel againg. Before your palate has an opportunity to register "sweet" in your brain, a flavor of roast like espresso and bitter chocolate come out and are well pronounced mid-palate. A bit more vanilla and spice almost like raw oak but not quite increase in perception as the brew warms up.

This was a heavier bodied brew, almost chewy with a light level of carbonation. Super smooth and easy drinking as even the guy beside me stated outloud "jesus this is smooth for a dark beer." A fantastic sipper to say the least. What a joy and unexpected surprise to get to try this beer. Doug mentioned that perhaps this was held on to for too long and it was starting to fall off a bit. Are you serious? I can only imagine what this brew was like when it was fresh.

3.84/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Growlerette received in trade from MeadMe, thanks for the opportunity.
Pours a thick inky black color with a tiny tan head that dissipates quickly. The aroma is heavy on the alcohol and rum with bits of roast, chocolate, dark pitted fruit and caramel. The flavor is chocolate, brown sugar, and caramel with a heavy presence of ethanol, rum and bits of earthy wood. Faint smokey malt and bits of dark fruit round out the flavor nicely. Medium to thick body with a light level of carbonation, and a slick, oily mouthfeel. This one gets a bit hot and is a sipper to be sure. This grew on me as I got towards the end.

4.72/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Opened at a tasting 1/26/2012. Thanks to djmichaelk for sending me this!

Pours creamy dark chocolate color, not a great deal of head but for an island of light vanilla floating in the middle.

Smell is wonderful though not incredibly powerful. Lots if sweet vanilla, caramel, chocolate, rum, very balanced and appealing.

Damn. This tastes perfect. Loads of vanilla again, caramel and chocolate and other wonderful sweet stout flavors. Not super roasty. Barrel complements perfectly but his is not really barrel forward. Insanely well balanced, all my favorite stout flavors are here.

I don't know if it's the mouthfeel or just the flavor, but I find this insanely drinkable and almost cried when the bottle was empty.

This lived up to and exceeded the hype in a big way. One of the best stouts I've ever had for sure. Not bold or outrageous but just perfect.

9.7/10

4.67/5  rDev +4.2%

Thanks to Steve for sharing. 16oz growler #25. Served in a Närke snifter.

A - A thin mocha foam settles to a thin ring and a few wisps, leaving behind tiny specks of lace. Black body, and an oily glass-coating brown film that lingers upon consumption.

S - Massive notes of butterscotch, coconut, dark chocolate, molasses, brownies, and the lightest touch of rum. Surprisingly little oak here - guessing the rum barrel was re-used a few times before ending up in Doug's hands. In any case, even with the understated barrel and spirit presence this is still quite excellent, as the base stout is formidable in its own right. Minimal alcohol presence.

T - As with Rare D.O.S. the taste is a revelation, with waves of molten milk and dark chocolates, vanilla, coconut, caramel, molasses, and a kiss of rum and oak. Super rich and smooth, with flavors that linger nearly indefinitely. Again, virtually no alcohol to be found. Probably a 4.75 in comparison to Rare D.O.S., but stellar in its own right.

M - Smooth, molten chocolate texture, medium-full body, lower carbonation, and perhaps a touch of alcohol warmth on the back of the throat. Lightly dry barrel presence in the finish.

D - Excellent stuff. Doesn't quite hit the highs of Rare D.O.S., but it's pretty close. Greatly looking forward to trying this again in the near future.

4.67/5  rDev +4.2%

Picked up the bottle / growler at Peg's at the release. Served in a Peg's snifter just because I'm greatest there ever was.

Beer is black with a thin tan head of small bubbles, low carbonation, no lacing, some legs on the glass and it is coated with the thickness of the beer in the swirl.

Aroma is perfect, cannot improve anymore, I saved the last bit in my glass just so I can carry it around the rest of the night smelling it. Strong liquor character but I don't smell much rum, smells more like whiskey to me, someone suggested that it does smell like dark rum, perhaps. Still smells amazing. Illogical, woody, sweet, vanilla, tannin, oak, booze....yum.

Beer is medium to big in body, smooth on the palate, sweet up front, nice liquor flavors in the middle, as good as Rare was I think, great mouthfeel, mild bitterness from grain at the end. A very good beer. I'd definitely have this again.

4.89/5  rDev +9.2%

The rarest beer I will probably ever have. Thanks so much Rhett for your generosity!

A: Dark chocolate brown with minimal head. Swirls of light cream on top.

S: Smells delicious. Waves of vanilla and wood at the forefront. Subsides a bit into some dark fruits, plum, prune, raisin. Hints of blackstrap molasses throughout but not dominant. The booze melds well but smells more like bourbon than rum although some of the good sipping rum I've had from Central America smells similar. I smelled it at least 20 times before a taste but smelled more coconut and chocolate at the end. Unrivaled balance.

T: The rum comes out a better on the taste. Rich chocolate, vanilla, brown sugar. Like a rich dessert, melted brownie with a rum glaze. A bit of lactic acidity and tastes of wood provide an interesting counterpoint that is a bit different from everything else, providing almost a dry finish. Delicious.

M: This beer is the epitome of creamy. Melts in your mouth. A little sticky and dry on the finish but this is nitpicking.

O: This is one of the best beers I have ever had. Off the top of my head, GI Rare would give this a good cage match. This is a delicious treat that I enjoyed to every sip. I hope to be able to try the Rare DOS someday but if it is anything close to this, it will be an accomplishment.

4.74/5  rDev +5.8%

500 mL growler. Number 13 of 25. Served in a Peg's snifter. Poured by a Cicerone Certified Beer Server.

Pours a viscous dark brown with clear ruby tinges in the edges with a fleeting khaki head and a few wisps of lace. Aroma is perfect, or so says the last 15 minutes I've spent smelling this beer without tasting it. Incredibly balanced and rich nose of vanilla, molasses, rum, bourbon, candi sugar, light oak and angel's tears. Flavor is not quite as transcendental as Rare was, but this is still exceptional. As it warms the rum becomes more dominant, with raisin, plum, caramel and light oak supporting a strong vanilla and molasses barrel presence. Syrupy, thick viscous body with very low carbonation. Aroma and flavor lingers forever after the glass is finished. The flavor didn't match the aroma and all around this experience didn't match Rare, but that said, I still enjoyed this infinitely more than recently sampled Dark Lord and Hunhapu variants.

4.59/5  rDev +2.5%

10/27/2012

Thanks to Rich for opening this. Bottle into a snifter.

Near black with some auburn highlights. Big light brown head. The aroma brings to mind cocoa and toffee with a great blend of cinnamon and vanilla. Lots of dark chocolate and fudge and a little rum character. Light alcohol. In the flavor I find brown sugar with a subtle rum presence. There's an interesting cinnamon chili pepper note in there with ample fudge. Smooth rum fudge oak finish. Well hidden alcohol. The mouthfeel is chewy, sticky, and silky with a full body and a medium level of carbonation. Overall, this is very good. We tried this next to the batch of Rare Dos that was released at the same time, whenever that was, and it was quite a bit better. Though, the Rare Dos we tried was noticeably inferior to other batch I tried and reviewed in the middle of 2011. Highly Recommended.

4.76/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Shared at JLindros Birthday Whale Tasting. Reviewed from notes.

A - Poured into a Kate the Great tulip a deep dark brown with a thin little halo and big, thick legs!

S - FLOORED. Yeah, this if fudge brownies, nuts, chocolate, vanilla, barrel notes. Super, super rich aromas here. Stuff is incredible.

T - Taste is just as freaking good. Fudge brownies galore, nice and sweet. Fudge, nuts, brownie batter, vanilla, barrel notes. It is simply incredible. So, so good and rich.

M - Mouthfeel is thick and heavy, silky smooth and velvety.

O - Overall this is a damn fine beer. Stupendous infact. So glad I was able to try this beer and that Jared was able to hold off on drinking this all by himself.

4.97/5  rDev +10.9%

From 16oz swingtop growler to Portsmouth glass on 3/24/12
*From notes

-- An epic thanks to SturgisPodmore for trading me this gem of a beer --

Growler # 21 of 25

A: Tarpit blackish-brown. Pouring it straight down the center of the glass yields a thin .25 finger head. It fades quickly, leaving a layer of creamy streaks across the top of the beer. A thin off-white collar remains. And I should note that this sucker just coats the glass as I swirl it ever so slightly.

S: Spectacular doesn't begin to describe it. A masterful balance of alcohol esters, spirit notes and sweet liquid brownie batter smother my nostrils. The coconut and hints of vanilla bean are outstanding.

T: Unimaginably delicious. I don't care how rare it is - I promise that even if this was a year-round shelf offering, it would be just about the tastiest God damn beer I've ever consumed. So incredibly decadent and rich. The concentration here is simply out of bounds, as it reminds me of some of the best California cult cabs. Like Screaming Eagle is to wine, this is to beer.

The fore is melted dark chocolate, it just oozes all over my palate. The mid showcases red fruit - plums, ripe cherries and a touch of late harvest dark berries. The rum and spirit profile hits on the back, but it comes across more like a bourbon barrel, as it's overflowing with toasted vanilla bean and fresh coconut skin. There's also a deep through line of cane sugar, which rides from beginning to end, and it sticks to my lips and tongue as I soak it all in. The finish....oh, the finish. It lingers inside my mouth for ages - I can literally taste it for over ten minutes without a return trip to my glass. Wihtout question, this stands as one of the finest things I've ever had the pleasure imbibing.

M: Like the finest linens covering the finest bed in the finest Rain Man suite in Las Vegas. This is dense and massively creamy, yet it's apporachable and extraordinarily easy to put back. Smooth, luscious and elegant beyond compare.

O: The whole room went silent as we took our notes, imbibing what ultimately is the best beer I have ever quaffed. I genuinely assumed that there was no possible way that RareR DOS would live up to the mammoth hype that it or Rare DOS have received. Yet to be blunt: it did....and then some.

Up-Up-Down-Down-Left-Right-Left-Right-B-A-B-A-Start

I'm praying that maybe the old Konami code might just get me 100 more of these, as even then, it wouldn't be enough.

Unquestionably the crowning achievement of the American Craft Brewing movement.

4.24/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Smells of vanilla, oak, roasted malt. Huge molasses up front, rum alcohol heat, some earthiness and only a touch of sweetness. Liked this a little bit less than Nooner #5, but still a great beer.

4.39/5  rDev -2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A- Dark black motor oil. Illuminates a dark brown hue. Half finger mocha head with some retention, no lacing.

S- Milk chocolate, vanilla, coconut, oak. Some sweet rum.

F- Sweet rum, vanilla, coconut flakes all make for a sweet dominant beer. There is some dark chocolate bitterness to balance it out though. Barrel oak, milk chocolate add some more depth.

M- Medium bodied, a bit lower in carbonation than expected but there are enough bubbles. A bit sticky, resinous. Finish is slightly hot and sweet.

O- Very nice stout that brings a good bit of rum and coconut, as befitting a Florida stout.

4.57/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Huge thanks to steveadore for this awesome extra!

500ml flip-top growler poured into CBS snifter.

Appearance: Jet black bodied beer with a thick medium brown cap that drops to a ring around the glass.

Smell: This smells good! Boozey fudge brownies immediately come to mind! The booze has a bit of a spicy note to it. Lots of vanilla and chocolates. Hints of tabacco, roasty malt, and raisins. Great nose on this beer.

Taste: Starts off sweet with lots of fudge, vanilla, and a touch of spicy booze. Roasty malts, oaky / woody barrel flavors and tobacco dominate the middle of this beers flavor profile. Sweetness returns in the finish of the beer with more fudge and vanilla. A hint of tobacco, also some light roast almost a smokey/charred note. Great balance to this stout and nice complexity and depth as well. As the beer warms to room temperature more roast, char, and tobacco dominate this beer. The rum starts to stand out much more as well; you can definately get the rum influence distinctly when this beer has open up! Wow!

Mouthfeel: high end of a medium bodied beer almost a full bodied beer. This stout is fairly thick and kind of chewy; got a nice oily feel to it as well. Stickiness that blankets your mouth with big stout flavors. Low carbonation levels that suits this beer well. Also has a nice mild booze kick that also works wonderfully with this beer. The booziness gets a little smoother as the beer warms.

Overall: I havent tried very many rum barrel stouts. I have wanted to try this beer for a long time and I wasnt dissapointed! I am guessing that this beer is probably in the upper echelon of rum barrel aged stouts! I just dont see a rum barrel stout getting much better than this. I really like the subtle differences that a rum barrel adds to a stout. Brewers should age more stouts in rum barrels if you ask me! Also on a side note, I am really impressed how well this beer has held up in a flip top growler. When I first heard of this beer being in a 500ml flip top growler, my opinion was that you should probably drink it immediately. Honestly, I think that this beer could be cellared in the flip top glowler with solid results if you wanted to age this beer. I dont think that I would be able to cellar it personally because I prefer to drink all beers as fresh as possible(and this stout is rediculiously good!). I think that I will definately be seeking out more of these Peg's Cantina stouts in the future...they are definately worth your time and hard earned dollars!

4.51/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Growler pour into a snifter. Major thanks to Eric for sharing this!

(A)- Pours nearly pitch black in color. Minimal tan froth and lacing.

(S)- A really nice rich aroma to it overall. Sweet chocolate and molasses/raisin profile. Ever so slightly dry with great barrel characters.

(T)- Similar to the smell pretty much, only a rum-like barrel fruitiness with dark raisin, chocolate, molasses and subtle oak-like vanilla at the end.

(M)- A very smooth carbonation level with a superbly balanced and smooth but malty barrel aged combination. Chocolatey but velvety smooth too.

(O)- An extremely smooth barre-aged stout that is expertly integrated together and well-blended. Easily the most impressive Rum finish I have seen. Definitely lives up to its reputation. Thanks again Eric!

4.6/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

500ml Swing top growler thanks to Pnell316
Opened on 2.8.13

A - Pours a very dark brown with a dark tan head of fine bubbles with good retention.

S - Booze, chocolate, sweet dark fruit, wood.

T - Booze, then some chocolate and barrel, it hits in stages, all good.

D - Silky smooth with good carbonation and a heavier body.

O - Barrel aged stout at it's best. Hits you in stages and each one is a treat.

4.22/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Reviewed from notes while down in Tampa last weekend, sampled on tap during Cycle's barrel aged beer night.

A- Black as tar into the plastic cup provided with a creamy dark mocha head to about one finger high. Decent head retention and it eventually falls to a frothy ring leaving fine sheets of thin lace.

S- Somewhat faint to me for this type of the beer, first beer of the day too. Some nice dark cocoa, fudge and hints of whiskey oak barrels.

T- Dark, bitter cocoa nibs lead the way for me with a barrage of chocolate and cocoa powder. Some ripe cherry fruit hints but no raisin or spiciness like some brews can have. Bourbon is here but integrated well with oak, whiskey and a slight vanilla feel.

MF- Thick and chewy bodied with a heavy whipped creamy texture. Fairly warm whiskey bite and the medium level of carbonation allows the flavors to come through well.

Another impressive marriage of whiskey barrels and stouts. Something about the aroma wasn't quite up to par for me but the flavor made up for it.

4.42/5  rDev -1.3%

draft at Peg's... dark black body, a small brown head forms, a thing ring lingers a bit... the aroma is thick and sweet, heavily accented by rum, dark fruits, barrel, molasses... the taste is excellent and I prefer this to rare dos on tap, but not the rare dos previous batch, again lots of rum, barrel, a touch hot, a little more chocolate would go far... lucky to try and worth having again

4.66/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to Jefe73 for this one...

A: Pours out pitch black with only a thin creamy brown head. The foam fades into almost nothing, and there is very little lacing to speak of.

S: The nose is milk chocolate, vanilla, dark malt, and barrel aging. This beer smells sweet and inviting, but not over the top sweet.

T: Like the nose, I get a lot of chocolate, some stone fruits, a touch of roast, and some vanilla. This beer is excellent.

M: Full bodied beer. It's sweet and syrupy, coats the palate but moves off nicely. Lingering chocolate and vanilla. The sweetness sticks around for a bit and then fades.

O: This is a fantastic beer. I like my stouts more on the burnt toast side, but the sweetness here is really great. I'm extremely happy to have been able to try it, and I'd love to drink it again someday.

4.45/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Taste the rare! Big thanks to Mike for splitting this one - I thought for sure I'd never get the chance to sample it, especially now. Comes in a cool looking 500 mL swing-top. It gluggs out in to the glass, very thick and completely black. No head - even the mere ring that outlines the beer is slow to form; possibly a side-effect of being in a growler for a few months, but my thought (and hope) is that the carb for a brew like this is relatively low anyway, so it shouldn't matter much.

The extra "R" in "RareR" supposedly stands for "rum", as this batch was aged in rum barrels as opposed to whiskey barrels in the regular Rare D.O.S., and the first smell reaffirmed that notion completely. Huge rum character on the nose; boozy rum cake, sweet molten chocolates, graham crackers, molasses, a touch of vanilla, and quite a bit of dark fruits. The fruits consist of plum, grapes, and even a bit of apples, and seem to get stronger as the brew approaches room temp. Rum and sweet molasses still remain the leaders of the pack, though.

The first sip reveals quite a bit more of those sweet dark fruits that were so heavy in the aroma; plums, grapes, black cherries, and even some apple skins. Sweet and creamy chocolates come crashing in, soaked in a boozy rum bath. It seemed a bit quiet at first, but the rum character comes out more and more with each successive sip. The rum, chocolate, and dark fruit combination is pretty highly discernable, giving RareR D.O.S. a nice uniqueness in market that's saturated with stouts.

Waves of malts continue to grow in robustness and complexity with time; molasses, chocolate, caramel, and some brown sugar. The oak and woody character is either very low or just completely buried underneath all of the other flavors. The largest components of the barrel aging are definitely the vanilla and the rum itself. The finish is lightly boozy, never getting too hot, with even a mild finishing tartness from the fruits and a sweetness from the chocolates and molasses. Heavy bodied, thick and a bit chewy with an almost-creamy, slick and oily mouth feel.

It's hard to say whether or not this beer lived up to the "hype", because when a beer receives this much hype, your expectations are often raised to unreachable levels. So I'm going to try and forget those expectations and just say that RareR D.O.S. is a damn fine American imperial stout. Unique in many ways and highly complex. I wasn't expecting so much dark fruit sweetness, but it was integrated nicely and the rum provided a nice change of pace. Super glad I got to try this one, it was awesome - thanks, Mike!

4.53/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Peg's. Drank side by side with Rare D.O.S.

A - Gorgeous black beer with a nice brown head. Had great retention. Some minor spots left on the sides.

S - Carmel, chocolate, just a touch of brown sugar and coconut. The rum barrel adds some really nice spice and sweetness characteristics without blowing the beer up. Have not gotten this from most rum barrel aged beers yet, as most of them have just been bad and/or infected.

T - Rum was a great addition to this. Nice rum, chocolate, brown sugar, and barrel. Not sure how stiff this is, but the beer is quite smooth and doesn't suffer from any heat. Great big stout flavors with a bit of a spicey twist to it.

M - Smooth, full, moderate carbonation.

O - Liked this better than the new batch of Rare D.O.S. Speaking of which, Rare D.O.S. one of the best beers I've ever drank, but in having it fresh I realized it's one that gets a lot better with age. This on the other hand, was good to go. Awesome taste, manages to be a nice big stout with a bit of unique character from the Rum barrel.

4.42/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Growler filled April, 2013

Appearance: Black with tan head that leaves rather quickly and a ring remains with a little lacing.

Smell: It really is a bit subdued, hopefully as it warms up a bit the nose will become more apparent. After a while getting slight coffee, milk chocolate and alcohol. After 30 minutes (went out for a drive) I'm getting a little dark fruit on the nose.

Taste: Ah, this is what it's all about! Chocolate, dark fruit, a very slight booziness in the finish; almost a chocolate milkshake flavor, interesting. Very, very nice.

Mouthfeel: This is where it falls a little flat, too thin. This factor seems a bit odd and doesn't jive with everything else it has going for it.

Overall: So glad to finally crack this as I have been holding on to it for about 14 months. Damn, if only the mouthfeel was better it would score above the average. Still a wonderful experience! Now, if someone would send me one that was released today I could part with a Damon, ha-HA!

4.46/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A-dark brown black color with a small light brown head and minimal lacing

S-chocolate, dark fruit, molasses, coffee, little barrel aroma

T-dark roasted malt, coffee, molasses, chocolate, dark fruit, vanilla, light rum barrel, very well-balanced

F-full body with light carbonation, creamy and smooth

O-complex and really great balance in this stout, love to have this again

Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S. from Peg's Cantina & Brew Pub