Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S. | Peg's Cantina & Brew Pub

Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S.Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S.

Peg's Cantina & Brew Pub
Florida, United States
pegscantina.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by MasterSki on 03-09-2012

4.57/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I had the pleasure of tasting this beer on tap at Mikkeller Bar in San Francisco. They do a fantastic job at this bar of serving their beers at optimal temperature. I am confident that I had this beer at its very best thanks to Mikkeller

A - A near-black brown color followed by a thin line of medium-brown as a bed for a thick tan and fluffy head.

S - Light light coffee with sugar, nuts and an unmistakable scent of rum. Blackberries and slightly woody. Inoffensive, and easy to smell without any sting.

T - Hershey's chocolate syrup was the first thing I noticed. The fruit and rum come out around the sides of my tongue while mocha, vanilla, roasted nuts, and spiced wood run over the top. Just fantastic finish. A little more rum in the after taste, but not overpowering - just enough to remind you of what you just tasted

M - Surprisingly light on the tongue and throat. I hear others saying thick and chewy, but I would say it is in the middle somewhere. Very easy to drink, I could drink it fast, so I force myself to enjoy it over time.

O - If this is the only beer I could ever drink for the rest of my life, I would be okay with that. Just fantastic. If I saw this was tap again, I would go out of my way to make a trip to the pub. World class - easily a top-3 for me. Jeez, this is good stuff.

3.5/5  rDev -21.9%

4.75/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wow! Amazing stout! Just happened to be at the brewery and got the last pour of this beer. The look was thick and dark black with a thick tan head. The feel of the beer was very smooth and there was no bitter taste at the end. It almost felt like drinking chocolate milk. The smell was strong of coffee and chocolate with a slight barrel smell.

Great stuff from a great brewery.

Cheers.

4.46/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A-dark brown black color with a small light brown head and minimal lacing

S-chocolate, dark fruit, molasses, coffee, little barrel aroma

T-dark roasted malt, coffee, molasses, chocolate, dark fruit, vanilla, light rum barrel, very well-balanced

F-full body with light carbonation, creamy and smooth

O-complex and really great balance in this stout, love to have this again

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%

3.84/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Growlerette received in trade from MeadMe, thanks for the opportunity.
Pours a thick inky black color with a tiny tan head that dissipates quickly. The aroma is heavy on the alcohol and rum with bits of roast, chocolate, dark pitted fruit and caramel. The flavor is chocolate, brown sugar, and caramel with a heavy presence of ethanol, rum and bits of earthy wood. Faint smokey malt and bits of dark fruit round out the flavor nicely. Medium to thick body with a light level of carbonation, and a slick, oily mouthfeel. This one gets a bit hot and is a sipper to be sure. This grew on me as I got towards the end.

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%

3.1/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

There is no way this is a 100/100 world class beer. I must have an infected bottle. Tons of booze, dark fruit, mild sourness, chocolate and a candy flavor. Very poor quality control. I kept this review short, but I am very disappointed since I gave up world class beers in a trade to get this.

3.25/5  rDev -27.5%