Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S. | Peg's Cantina & Brew Pub

Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S.Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S.

Peg's Cantina & Brew Pub
Florida, United States
pegscantina.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by MasterSki on 03-09-2012

This must be the best beer i have ever had! I was at the CBC festival in Copenhagen where i met Johndoe8. He asked me to join him and some other BA's for a tasting in the evening. I could not make it that night. The next day we met again and then one of the best things happened! He had some of this beer left for me and poured in a small amount of this beer. The only thing i can say is that this is one HELL of a stout. I have tasted a lot in this style but this amazed me soooo much i can only give it the maximum. Soft, balanced, easy to drink...wow!

Fantastic!

4.98/5  rDev +11.2%

From 16oz swingtop growler to Portsmouth glass on 3/24/12
*From notes

-- An epic thanks to SturgisPodmore for trading me this gem of a beer --

Growler # 21 of 25

A: Tarpit blackish-brown. Pouring it straight down the center of the glass yields a thin .25 finger head. It fades quickly, leaving a layer of creamy streaks across the top of the beer. A thin off-white collar remains. And I should note that this sucker just coats the glass as I swirl it ever so slightly.

S: Spectacular doesn't begin to describe it. A masterful balance of alcohol esters, spirit notes and sweet liquid brownie batter smother my nostrils. The coconut and hints of vanilla bean are outstanding.

T: Unimaginably delicious. I don't care how rare it is - I promise that even if this was a year-round shelf offering, it would be just about the tastiest God damn beer I've ever consumed. So incredibly decadent and rich. The concentration here is simply out of bounds, as it reminds me of some of the best California cult cabs. Like Screaming Eagle is to wine, this is to beer.

The fore is melted dark chocolate, it just oozes all over my palate. The mid showcases red fruit - plums, ripe cherries and a touch of late harvest dark berries. The rum and spirit profile hits on the back, but it comes across more like a bourbon barrel, as it's overflowing with toasted vanilla bean and fresh coconut skin. There's also a deep through line of cane sugar, which rides from beginning to end, and it sticks to my lips and tongue as I soak it all in. The finish....oh, the finish. It lingers inside my mouth for ages - I can literally taste it for over ten minutes without a return trip to my glass. Wihtout question, this stands as one of the finest things I've ever had the pleasure imbibing.

M: Like the finest linens covering the finest bed in the finest Rain Man suite in Las Vegas. This is dense and massively creamy, yet it's apporachable and extraordinarily easy to put back. Smooth, luscious and elegant beyond compare.

O: The whole room went silent as we took our notes, imbibing what ultimately is the best beer I have ever quaffed. I genuinely assumed that there was no possible way that RareR DOS would live up to the mammoth hype that it or Rare DOS have received. Yet to be blunt: it did....and then some.

Up-Up-Down-Down-Left-Right-Left-Right-B-A-B-A-Start

I'm praying that maybe the old Konami code might just get me 100 more of these, as even then, it wouldn't be enough.

Unquestionably the crowning achievement of the American Craft Brewing movement.

Review from notes.

Thanks to Aaron and co. for dragging me out of my study den and making me have an awesome time. You guys rock. This beer poured pitch black. It's a black hole. A deep abyss that sports a milk chocolate brown head that dares you to disturb it. So I did. And holy shit, this beer is SMOOTH. That's the first thing that came to my head. All the flavors are wonderfully melded together. Toffee, toasted marshmallows, caramel, figs/raisins, coffee, dark chocolate, it's all there. Follow that with a nice boozy rum presence and oak. This is where it's at guys. Big body, excellent carbonation. Word.

4.97/5  rDev +10.9%

Well this was quite the surprise, Rhettroactive, thanks so much for the insane generosity of opening this bottle with us.

Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours an inky black that fades to a gentle ruby on the very edges of the glass. Touches of deep burgundy shimmer out in the light. Half finger of light tan head that rapidly settles down to a thin sheen. Minimal lacing.

S: Goodness gracious. Possibly the best stout I have ever had the pleasure of dipping my nose into. The only other thing I can even think of that comes close is GI Rare. So many things going on here...chocolate, molasses, vanilla, oak, raisin, plum, and even some melon. Hints of tobacco emerge from the background as it warms. Rich, decadent, and absolutely delightful. Unbelievable.

T: Chocolate, coconut, dark fruit, leather. Really impressive coconut on this...it's quite assertive, but doesn't overwhelm. Pretty good amount of vanilla as well. What's most surprising is how refined the barrel (and rum) character is on this. The wood is not very apparent on this, only serving to augment rather than overwhelm. And the rum takes on almost a bourbon like quality, only imparting some delicate, light fruitiness instead of the gross, Malibu, pina colada quality I have found in lesser rum barrel aged stouts. This is amazing.

M: Perfect. Low carbonation, full bodied, spectacular complexity and shows you a new flavor every sip. Nice coating mouthfeel, thick and delicious.

O: I have many more stouts to go before I can declare this the best ever, but I can't recall having had something more delicious than this, except possibly GI Rare. An outstanding experience top to finish. Cannot thank you enough, Rhett, for this ridiculous treat.

Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S. from Peg's Cantina & Brew Pub