Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S. | Peg's Cantina & Brew Pub

Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S.Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S.

Peg's Cantina & Brew Pub
Florida, United States
pegscantina.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by MasterSki on 03-09-2012

4.85/5  rDev +8.3%

First had: baby growler shared at the Mack House, Davie, FL. Thanks to Josh (toofdoc) for the generous share!

Dark black pour, thick and opaque, with a small cap of chocolate head that sank to a ringlet, leaving oily lacing on the glass. Still looks nice for being a week old. Aroma of dark malts, more sweet than roasty, chocolate, rum and vanilla, dark brown sugar. All of this translated into the taste, dark chocolate, smooth malt richness, vanilla, rum-soaked oak, caramel and a hint of butterscotch. Contrary to other reviews, I didn't really get any coconut out of this. Rich and full in body, smooth and velvety, lower carbonation, ABV seemed pretty high, I'm guessing 10+%, but as with Peg's stouts in general, there was basically no alcohol heat whatsoever. Amazing beer overall.

Honestly I don't get too much of a different effect from whiskey barrel aging and rum barrel aging in beers, especially big beers like this one, but I like both, so it's good either way. I'd like to have been able to try the Rare DOS as well, but it just wasn't to be. Maybe some other time. Hopefully.

3.5/5  rDev -21.9%

4.97/5  rDev +10.9%

Huge thanks to Rhettroactive for surprising us with this gem this evening. Bottle #21 poured from a 16oz swingtop into my Devil's Backbone tulip. It poured thick and black with a thin tan head clinging to edges of glass. Very dark and inviting.

The aroma has a very rich chocolate and toasted coconut flavor to it. Its a little like a dark chocolate and coconut brownie. A little boozy rum is there, bit it integrates very well. Very rich and sweet, a little desert like but really awesome aroma overall.

The taste shows a lot of toasted coconut and dark bittersweet chocolate. A little more of the rum is there but again really integrates and compliments well. Caramelized brown sugar and vanilla come out in the finish. I got a little more dark fruits as it warmed. So smooth and rich.

Mouthfeel thick and creamy with low carbonation. The slickness really is awesome and very fitting.

Overall it was a really fantastic beer. It was so smooth and rich. I loved the toasted coconut and vanilla flavors. Wow, this was an amazing beer. The rum barrel gave it some fantastic qualities that really sets it apart from the standard Bourbon barrel beers of the style. The barrel aging was perfectly done as well, so well integrated and complimenting. This really wasn't even on my radar because I've never really had any rum barrel beers that have impressed me, but this one completely blew me away tonight. This is definitely worthy of mention among the elite few top of the style for me.

4.25/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.42/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Scored one of these in a trade, decided to share it with foofaa after a random trip to Philly.

A - Pours black with a small film of head, quickly dissipating down to nothing at all, leaving no lace down the glass.

S - Smells of rich chocolate fudge, vanilla, coconut, caramel, toffee, oak, dark roasted malt and spicy rum. Not as much spirit as I was expecting, leaving plenty of room for the base aromas to shine through.

T - Starts off with the fudgey chocolate and smooth vanilla sweetness quickly being joined buy the toffee, caramel, oak, coconut, dark roasted grains and spicy rum bring it all together. Finish is a mix of sweetness and dark roast, combining with some warming booze to linger long after the finish. This is a really well put together beer.

M - Heavy body with moderate carbonation. Smooth feel goes a little watery toward the end of the glass. Booze is well hidden, only really coming forward as it warms up to room temperature.

O - Really solid BA stout. It didn't blow me away by any stretch of the imagination but it really made me want to try the regular Rare DOS. Hope I have that chance one day as I am pretty sure I am going to love it.

4.12/5  rDev -8%

Served in a snifter.

Normally, I'd inquire into the acronyms, but the fact that it's "rarer" soothes my mind. It pours a deep, dark black-brown topped by a half-finger of tan foam. The nose comprises roasted malts, dry cocoa, wood, and a thick layer of dark rum throughout the background. The taste brings in more of the same, with a richer sense of roast and cocoa, and with a mild booziness pervading the proceedings. The body is a solid medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a smooth feel. Overall, a very nice rum-barreled stout, one that would likely be ridiculous if a touch less boozy and if the barrel expressed itself a touch more. As is, it's just really good.

4.16/5  rDev -7.1%

On-tap at Peg's. Poured to a snifter on March 9, 2012. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - Quite black with a nice dark khaki/mocha head. Sticky without much retention.

Smell - Barrel notes. vanilla and oak. Rum is secondary, which is good because I don't love the rum aroma. Good chocolate behind everything. Really smells quite wonderful.

Taste - Rum is definitely more prominent in the taste. Sweet rum flavor with less barrel. Some vanilla and oak, but mostly rum. Chocolate and some bitterness. Good finish from the stout, but the rum lingers for a bit too long making it seem hot.

Mouthfeel - Tingly alcohol without being too boozy. Low carbonation. The lingering rum flavor is a bit unpleasant, though.

Overall - I don't think this is anywhere near as good as Rare DOS, but I'm in the minority. I find that the rum detracts more than it adds.

4.94/5  rDev +10.3%

Growler shared by drabmuh. Hell yeah! Thanks Matt.

I don't have a Peg's glass like the other guys, but they let me have some anyhow.

The beer is dark brown with a small and fleeting beige head. The aroma brings a huge dose of bourbon, followed by some vanilla, oak, roast and chocolate. The flavor is simply fabulous. World class. Well balanced and just teeming with flavor. I am getting much more bourbon flavor than rum. Perhaps dark rum adds some molasses and dark fruit flavors. Complex, wonderful, sippable, chuggable. What can I say? A+

3.84/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Growlerette received in trade from MeadMe, thanks for the opportunity.
Pours a thick inky black color with a tiny tan head that dissipates quickly. The aroma is heavy on the alcohol and rum with bits of roast, chocolate, dark pitted fruit and caramel. The flavor is chocolate, brown sugar, and caramel with a heavy presence of ethanol, rum and bits of earthy wood. Faint smokey malt and bits of dark fruit round out the flavor nicely. Medium to thick body with a light level of carbonation, and a slick, oily mouthfeel. This one gets a bit hot and is a sipper to be sure. This grew on me as I got towards the end.

4.62/5  rDev +3.1%

Review from notes taken on the 5th of July at Pegs. This was another surprise handed to me by Doug. Just a nonchalant here give this a try as he slides a snifter infront of me and then proceeds to treat everyone else sitting at the bar with a sample. I had no idea what I was drinking until all but the last sip remained.

The brew appeared black in color with a thin, tight tan cap sitting across the top. As it faded, it produced spotty lacing on the glass. When held to the light, a thin ruby brown clarity can be seen around the edges.

The smell was rich of coconut, raison sweetness blending into a soft touch of alcohol. The roast of the grain imparts a smell of dark chocolate, licorice and almost a hint of spicy menthol coolness. It was obvious this was barrel aged but the light spice inclusion had me scratching my head.

The flavor of this brew strikes with caramel and toasty coconut and toffee with vanilla all from the barrel againg. Before your palate has an opportunity to register "sweet" in your brain, a flavor of roast like espresso and bitter chocolate come out and are well pronounced mid-palate. A bit more vanilla and spice almost like raw oak but not quite increase in perception as the brew warms up.

This was a heavier bodied brew, almost chewy with a light level of carbonation. Super smooth and easy drinking as even the guy beside me stated outloud "jesus this is smooth for a dark beer." A fantastic sipper to say the least. What a joy and unexpected surprise to get to try this beer. Doug mentioned that perhaps this was held on to for too long and it was starting to fall off a bit. Are you serious? I can only imagine what this brew was like when it was fresh.

4.72/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Opened at a tasting 1/26/2012. Thanks to djmichaelk for sending me this!

Pours creamy dark chocolate color, not a great deal of head but for an island of light vanilla floating in the middle.

Smell is wonderful though not incredibly powerful. Lots if sweet vanilla, caramel, chocolate, rum, very balanced and appealing.

Damn. This tastes perfect. Loads of vanilla again, caramel and chocolate and other wonderful sweet stout flavors. Not super roasty. Barrel complements perfectly but his is not really barrel forward. Insanely well balanced, all my favorite stout flavors are here.

I don't know if it's the mouthfeel or just the flavor, but I find this insanely drinkable and almost cried when the bottle was empty.

This lived up to and exceeded the hype in a big way. One of the best stouts I've ever had for sure. Not bold or outrageous but just perfect.

9.7/10