Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S. | Peg's Cantina & Brew Pub

Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S.Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S.

Peg's Cantina & Brew Pub
Florida, United States
pegscantina.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by MasterSki on 03-09-2012

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.89/5  rDev +9.2%

The rarest beer I will probably ever have. Thanks so much Rhett for your generosity!

A: Dark chocolate brown with minimal head. Swirls of light cream on top.

S: Smells delicious. Waves of vanilla and wood at the forefront. Subsides a bit into some dark fruits, plum, prune, raisin. Hints of blackstrap molasses throughout but not dominant. The booze melds well but smells more like bourbon than rum although some of the good sipping rum I've had from Central America smells similar. I smelled it at least 20 times before a taste but smelled more coconut and chocolate at the end. Unrivaled balance.

T: The rum comes out a better on the taste. Rich chocolate, vanilla, brown sugar. Like a rich dessert, melted brownie with a rum glaze. A bit of lactic acidity and tastes of wood provide an interesting counterpoint that is a bit different from everything else, providing almost a dry finish. Delicious.

M: This beer is the epitome of creamy. Melts in your mouth. A little sticky and dry on the finish but this is nitpicking.

O: This is one of the best beers I have ever had. Off the top of my head, GI Rare would give this a good cage match. This is a delicious treat that I enjoyed to every sip. I hope to be able to try the Rare DOS someday but if it is anything close to this, it will be an accomplishment.

4.67/5  rDev +4.2%

Picked up the bottle / growler at Peg's at the release. Served in a Peg's snifter just because I'm greatest there ever was.

Beer is black with a thin tan head of small bubbles, low carbonation, no lacing, some legs on the glass and it is coated with the thickness of the beer in the swirl.

Aroma is perfect, cannot improve anymore, I saved the last bit in my glass just so I can carry it around the rest of the night smelling it. Strong liquor character but I don't smell much rum, smells more like whiskey to me, someone suggested that it does smell like dark rum, perhaps. Still smells amazing. Illogical, woody, sweet, vanilla, tannin, oak, booze....yum.

Beer is medium to big in body, smooth on the palate, sweet up front, nice liquor flavors in the middle, as good as Rare was I think, great mouthfeel, mild bitterness from grain at the end. A very good beer. I'd definitely have this again.

4.68/5  rDev +4.5%

4.3/5  rDev -4%

4.74/5  rDev +5.8%

500 mL growler. Number 13 of 25. Served in a Peg's snifter. Poured by a Cicerone Certified Beer Server.

Pours a viscous dark brown with clear ruby tinges in the edges with a fleeting khaki head and a few wisps of lace. Aroma is perfect, or so says the last 15 minutes I've spent smelling this beer without tasting it. Incredibly balanced and rich nose of vanilla, molasses, rum, bourbon, candi sugar, light oak and angel's tears. Flavor is not quite as transcendental as Rare was, but this is still exceptional. As it warms the rum becomes more dominant, with raisin, plum, caramel and light oak supporting a strong vanilla and molasses barrel presence. Syrupy, thick viscous body with very low carbonation. Aroma and flavor lingers forever after the glass is finished. The flavor didn't match the aroma and all around this experience didn't match Rare, but that said, I still enjoyed this infinitely more than recently sampled Dark Lord and Hunhapu variants.

4.24/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Smells of vanilla, oak, roasted malt. Huge molasses up front, rum alcohol heat, some earthiness and only a touch of sweetness. Liked this a little bit less than Nooner #5, but still a great beer.

3.75/5  rDev -16.3%

3.92/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

4.34/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.76/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Shared at JLindros Birthday Whale Tasting. Reviewed from notes.

A - Poured into a Kate the Great tulip a deep dark brown with a thin little halo and big, thick legs!

S - FLOORED. Yeah, this if fudge brownies, nuts, chocolate, vanilla, barrel notes. Super, super rich aromas here. Stuff is incredible.

T - Taste is just as freaking good. Fudge brownies galore, nice and sweet. Fudge, nuts, brownie batter, vanilla, barrel notes. It is simply incredible. So, so good and rich.

M - Mouthfeel is thick and heavy, silky smooth and velvety.

O - Overall this is a damn fine beer. Stupendous infact. So glad I was able to try this beer and that Jared was able to hold off on drinking this all by himself.

4.59/5  rDev +2.5%

10/27/2012

Thanks to Rich for opening this. Bottle into a snifter.

Near black with some auburn highlights. Big light brown head. The aroma brings to mind cocoa and toffee with a great blend of cinnamon and vanilla. Lots of dark chocolate and fudge and a little rum character. Light alcohol. In the flavor I find brown sugar with a subtle rum presence. There's an interesting cinnamon chili pepper note in there with ample fudge. Smooth rum fudge oak finish. Well hidden alcohol. The mouthfeel is chewy, sticky, and silky with a full body and a medium level of carbonation. Overall, this is very good. We tried this next to the batch of Rare Dos that was released at the same time, whenever that was, and it was quite a bit better. Though, the Rare Dos we tried was noticeably inferior to other batch I tried and reviewed in the middle of 2011. Highly Recommended.

4.51/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Growler pour into a snifter. Major thanks to Eric for sharing this!

(A)- Pours nearly pitch black in color. Minimal tan froth and lacing.

(S)- A really nice rich aroma to it overall. Sweet chocolate and molasses/raisin profile. Ever so slightly dry with great barrel characters.

(T)- Similar to the smell pretty much, only a rum-like barrel fruitiness with dark raisin, chocolate, molasses and subtle oak-like vanilla at the end.

(M)- A very smooth carbonation level with a superbly balanced and smooth but malty barrel aged combination. Chocolatey but velvety smooth too.

(O)- An extremely smooth barre-aged stout that is expertly integrated together and well-blended. Easily the most impressive Rum finish I have seen. Definitely lives up to its reputation. Thanks again Eric!

4.97/5  rDev +10.9%

From 16oz swingtop growler to Portsmouth glass on 3/24/12
*From notes

-- An epic thanks to SturgisPodmore for trading me this gem of a beer --

Growler # 21 of 25

A: Tarpit blackish-brown. Pouring it straight down the center of the glass yields a thin .25 finger head. It fades quickly, leaving a layer of creamy streaks across the top of the beer. A thin off-white collar remains. And I should note that this sucker just coats the glass as I swirl it ever so slightly.

S: Spectacular doesn't begin to describe it. A masterful balance of alcohol esters, spirit notes and sweet liquid brownie batter smother my nostrils. The coconut and hints of vanilla bean are outstanding.

T: Unimaginably delicious. I don't care how rare it is - I promise that even if this was a year-round shelf offering, it would be just about the tastiest God damn beer I've ever consumed. So incredibly decadent and rich. The concentration here is simply out of bounds, as it reminds me of some of the best California cult cabs. Like Screaming Eagle is to wine, this is to beer.

The fore is melted dark chocolate, it just oozes all over my palate. The mid showcases red fruit - plums, ripe cherries and a touch of late harvest dark berries. The rum and spirit profile hits on the back, but it comes across more like a bourbon barrel, as it's overflowing with toasted vanilla bean and fresh coconut skin. There's also a deep through line of cane sugar, which rides from beginning to end, and it sticks to my lips and tongue as I soak it all in. The finish....oh, the finish. It lingers inside my mouth for ages - I can literally taste it for over ten minutes without a return trip to my glass. Wihtout question, this stands as one of the finest things I've ever had the pleasure imbibing.

M: Like the finest linens covering the finest bed in the finest Rain Man suite in Las Vegas. This is dense and massively creamy, yet it's apporachable and extraordinarily easy to put back. Smooth, luscious and elegant beyond compare.

O: The whole room went silent as we took our notes, imbibing what ultimately is the best beer I have ever quaffed. I genuinely assumed that there was no possible way that RareR DOS would live up to the mammoth hype that it or Rare DOS have received. Yet to be blunt: it did....and then some.

Up-Up-Down-Down-Left-Right-Left-Right-B-A-B-A-Start

I'm praying that maybe the old Konami code might just get me 100 more of these, as even then, it wouldn't be enough.

Unquestionably the crowning achievement of the American Craft Brewing movement.

Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S. from Peg's Cantina & Brew Pub