Divergent | Rivertown Brewery & Barrel House

Rivertown Brewery & Barrel House
Ohio, United States
rivertownbrewery.com

Style: Berliner Weisse

Flappers have always been a symbol of change and rebellion, harkening to a time where challenging the norm was all the rage. This beer embraces and celebrates that vibrant, relentless spirit. Representing the rebirth of a brewery and the reclamation of a dream, this beer is a completely contradictory experience where the wort is soured, the hops are minimized and the beer is filtered to be brilliant. Crisp, delicate, cutting edge, complex and tart, pouring a bright citrine with a nose of gently soured rind fruit, this beer is exactly what is needed when looking for a little something…Divergent.

Added by Ohiovania on 01-17-2015

3.96/5  rDev +8.8%

A: Pale yellow, clear, with a decent hite head that lingers for a moment before starting to settle into the body of the beer.

S: Bright and sweet with a lovely fruitiness. Some wheat bread in there as well as a bit of blueberry. Rather lovely actually.

T: Sharp and acidic. Light with a nice berry fruitiness and some lovely acidic notes, clean and crisp.

M: Very light body, crisp, and clean with a small amount of sour pucker, finish is somewhat dry.

O: Overall a pretty excellent beer. Light crisp refreshing. Well done.

3.75/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.53/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.55/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

3.93/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.77/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.82/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

3.46/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Cigar City El Catador teku glass.

A: Very clear, fairly light gold - just a bit of chill haze. Lots of visible carbonation, and a thin white head that disappears almost instantly.

S: Strangely low overall. Light two-row malt sweetness and lactic tartness. A mild lemony citric acid. Not much else that I can find, at least when it's cold.

T: Lactic fruity tartness, pale cracker and two-row malts. The tartness fades fairly quickly, and there are some fruity yeast esters – apple/pear/fleshy fruit mostly – that remind me of Belgian yeast. Some more lemony citric acidic tartness swells up near the swallow and it finishes dry.

M: A light, crisp body. Overall a significant amount of carbonations sensation, but towards the low end for style. Minimal, if any, alcohol presence.

O: Not an objectionable beer, but not my favorite Berliner. The fruitiness is within style guidelines, though it was unusual enough I had to check. Most of the Berliners I've had eschew the fleshy fruit for more lemon and tart citrus. Generally I appreciate something a little different, but this one just didn't rub me the right way - the fruits don't let the dryness and tartness shine like they otherwise would. Not terrible, but nothing I'd be looking to drink again.

3.06/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

3.8/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Tart. Some wheat. Watery.

3.55/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

3.82/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.48/5  rDev -4.4%

3.65/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.87/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.71/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.22/5  rDev -39%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.25

Although the commercial description says filtered, the deep golden beer is murky. The first smell and taste were redolent of vomit, but might be paired with a grilled cheese to take the edge off. The mouth feel is refreshing, but despite loving sours, I won't be returning to this one.

3.1/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

3.95/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

3.45/5  rDev -5.2%

This was in the first shipment of the Craft Beer Club selection my kids and their spouses (those that are married, anyway) got me as my Father's Day gift this year. It is also the first sour ale I have tried. These were my impressions after drinking one tonight:

Look - Clear golden color. I poured the entire bottle into a snifter-like glass. I got an immediate head that was about 2 inches high that quickly dissipated to about 1/4 inch and then disappeared completely within a couple of minutes.

Smell - I did not notice much of a smell. But I did not really attempt to smell it in the glass or bottle. This is why I rated Smell as a 3.

Taste - Here's where it got interesting for me. The first couple of sips I was surprised by the almost lack of "beer" taste. I was expecting something with more of a 'bite'. It went down easily. I did let it sit for about 30 minutes and it did have more taste as it warmed (I had it in the refrigerator). I do like the taste as it was a warm humid night here and I drank it on our front porch. However, I would like to have another one before determining my final thoughts on taste - which is why I have rated Taste as a 3 for now.

Feel - I liked the feel of the beer in my mouth and, as I said earlier, it went down smoothly. Being so warm tonight, having a lighter tasting beer was quite pleasurable.

Overall - I like this beer. I currently rate it as a 4. My review might change after having another one (or two) especially since this is my first bottle of a sour ale. I still have 2 to try.

4.03/5  rDev +10.7%