Oatmeal Stout | Rivertown Brewing Co.

good

Added by Beejay on 02-24-2010

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 29 | Ratings: 46
3.18/5  rDev -7%

The beer was served chilled in an Imperial Pint glass.

Appearance: The body of the beer is solidly black. The head of the beer was explosive to begin with. Dark nugget brown coloration. The head began bulging and resolved to a thin half finger high. Rings of lacing remain behind on my glass marking its passage.

Smell: Toasted and lightly roasted malts a bit of dry cocoa and earthy aromas rise up to greet my nose.

Taste: The flavor of the beer consist of lightly roasted malts. A bit of earthy smoke and a flash of cocoa. Not overly complex but gets the job done.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body is a bit more carbonated than I would like. The carbonation breaks up too much of the smoothness I normally associate with oatmeal stouts. The beer is easy to drink in spite of flaws in the mouthfeel. The thing that makes this a beer I will buy again is price point. This is a bargain beer drink at under 7.50 a sixer.

2.57/5  rDev -24.9%

There was a Rivertown Brewing Co. display at a grocery store near my house in Cincinnati. It seems this brewery is brand new, and since there are pitifully few breweries in this town I eagerly bought two six packs - the Oatmeal Stout and the Hop Bomber Pale Ale. My first stout turned instantly to head as soon as liquid hit glass - foamed all the way to the top with about 1/4 inch of black liquid at the bottom. I thought maybe it was a bad bottle and grabbed another, but same result. ALL foam. I actually waited (and waited) for the foam to settle and had a drink. It was predictably over-carbonated for a stout, and the taste was on the bitter side, though not terrible. All in all... probably a bad batch, since others here have given decent reviews of this beer. Hopefully just growing pains for a new brewery. Maybe I'll try it again in a month or so.

3.78/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours about as well as you can ask an oatmeal stout to pour-black/brown with an exploding cascade of chocolate bar color with malted foam.
Smell is solid-roasted almonds, oats, sweet malts, and chocolate.
Taste comes through-not overly complex but very deep in roasted malts, sweet oats and almonds I believe-with some chocolate.
Finish is long with a roasted fireside quality that stays a while.
Drinks solidly-jury is out until an ABV can be assessed, but there is no boozey quality and its very smooth.

3.69/5  rDev +7.9%

A: Deep black, no light is coming through my glass at all. The head practically explodes out of my glass. The head looks nice; a great tan color, and a pillowy softness. I just wish that the head wasn't filling the top half of my glass.

S: Definitely a nice slightly smokey roasted smell right up front. Slightly Earthy, oatmeal is present, and there is something else there I can't put my finger on. Very nice though.

T: Roasty comes through right away. This fades to a bit of a bitter kick from the hops, and a nice mellow malt and oatmeal flavor.

M: It feels just a little thin, and seems highly carbonated for the style, this also explains it foaming out of my glass.

D: Overall I think the smell and taste are pretty good. I am super excited that there is another local brewery in Cincy, and hope to try their other offerings. I just hope they don't foam up like this one. Hopefully I will be able to find this beer on tap and compare it with the bottle.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Oatmeal Stout from Rivertown Brewing Co.