Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Hop Baron Double Down IPA | Rivertown Brewery & Barrel House

rivertownbrewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by ltjska04 on 08-06-2010

4.85/5  rDev +37.8%

This beer has an excellent nose and a strong floral hopiness. Unfortunately I cannot find it in TX, so I'll have to settle for getting some whenever I come back to Cincy for a visit.

4.75/5  rDev +34.9%

4.23/5  rDev +20.2%

I was down in Cincinnati this past weekend as my brother graduated college from University of Cincinnati. So Saturday afternoon after the graduation ceremony we headed over The Party Source right across the river in Kentucky. I purchased a 4 pack of this, among other things that I can't get here in Cleveland, and some beers I can't get in Ohio at all. Poured into my tulip glass, this beer pours a nice medium golden/amber color with a bit of an orange hue and lots of bubbles constantly streaming up from the bottom to the top of the glass. The nice foamy white head is about half an inch thick when poured and settles to a good 1/4 inch thick, eventually finally settling to a nice very thick ring lining the inside of the glass. Good retention. Pretty good lace started to form after taking a sip or two. Has a nice caramel malt and pine citrus hop aromas. Has a good fairly bitter citrus and piney hop flavor upfront that gives way to a nice bready, chewy caramel malt sweetness. The flavors do balance out a bit more as the beer warms up a bit, but the citrus and piney hops do tend to dominate, which is as it should be with a Double IPA! has a crisp, smooth, sort of oily medium to full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. This one really coats the inside of the mouth quite a bit! Easy to drink in the way good beer like this should be. A very good effort here!

Eric

4.08/5  rDev +15.9%

4.02/5  rDev +14.2%

Deep copper with different shades at various points of light. Small light crimson head holds long retention as a topper. No lace.

Nice nose of citrus, floral notes, toffee, biscuit, grapefruit, orange, lime, some fussel alcohol aromas, and hints of peach, and apricot.

Quite a nice beer, this is the new hopped version and it shows. Good balance of caramel, toffee, biscuit malts and grapefruity, stone fruit, floral earthy hops. Lots going on. Nice bitterness on the finish with snappy carbonation and a brisk acidity.

Rich creamy mouthfeel in the mid palate that turns more rounded on the finish. Very nice.

3.99/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Pours hazy lemony orange with a small white head, smells of citrusy hops pine slight malt, tastes of sharp minerally spicy piney hops with a cooling malt in the background, mouthfeel is smooth and silky with a dry finish moderate carbonation.

3.92/5  rDev +11.4%

A: A pale to medium amber, white head, but it doesn't stick around for too long.

S: Hops up front. Grassy with citrus, especially grapefruit. Slightly piney. Smells nice.

T: Hops are right up front. Piney and oily, nice flavor. There is a nice sweetness in the finish, perhaps from the malt. There is a little bit of caramel in there.

M: Medium in body, but the heavy side of medium. Carbonation works for the style.

D: Pretty good, though not my favorite of the style. Still, glad to see a local pushing the boundaries and trying new styles. Good, but not amazing.

3.9/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours a text book- amber golden with a solid topping of beige/tan head.
Smell is cirtusy with some nice crisp hoppy notes.
Taste is quick with its flowery/citrus flavor- but it checks out quickly- a little malt on a back end.
Finish is a quick jab of hops with some citrus and malt left on the back of my palate.
Drinks great- very crisp and refreshing- completely hides a 8.5 punch.

3.88/5  rDev +10.2%

Not a bad brew, whatsoever. Served into a Saison Dupont ~12 oz. glass. Amber in color, with a little less than a fingers head. Nice tight carbonation around ring of glass.

Aroma was of orange rind, pine, and somewhat raisin.

Taste is piney, more of the orange bitter, wet and oily, yet super drinkable.

As beer warms up, malt becomes more noticeable. The 103+ IBUs are up front, which slightly slope away, with oily citrus there in the middle, followed by a faint woody, bready malt presence, and satisfactory bitter finish.

Drank this one pretty damn fast. Bitter was never biting, and beer was rather enjoyable. Not sure when I'll pick this up again, because at 8.5% abv, I surely wouldn't session this one.

Not bad, though. Try it. It's a rather approachable DIPA I could see my less hop-inclined friends enjoying.

*I don't like to try and get into detail about the color of the beer or head because I am color blind (not fully, but to the point where I can't differentiate purple from blue and brown, red and green from one another). But, if I had a guess, this was a medium tan head, with the beer itself appearing a pretty clear amber.

3.85/5  rDev +9.4%

Clear, honey amber with a smallish, creamy tan head. Caramel malt and orange with a touch of pine in the nose. A good tasting beer with plenty of balance between citrusy hops and carmel. Candied orange peel and toffee some to mind. Medium bodied and slightly syrupy in the finish. A fine beer but not really what I expected witha name like "Hop Baron", a maltier than most take on the style.

3.85/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured into my bells two hearted glass. Thanks to gcurlow for both! Aroma is sweet and malty with a small hint of floral citrus hops. Taste is sweet malts and then followed by a hoppy bitterness. mouthful is resinous and sweet. Overall I this is another beer I would love to try on tap, with some pizza while wat king some ufc.

3.85/5  rDev +9.4%

I came across this beer at the Party Source this week and it caught me totally off guard. I can't find any mention of it anywhere, but alas, here it is in my Perfect Pint glass. I'm not sure what the availability is going to be, but I'm happy to finally see a Cincinnati brewery take on a bigger style like this.

This beer is an extremely clear golden orange and pours with a half-finger of head that quickly falls into a ring around the glass. Carbonation bubbles float lazily from the bottom. The smell on this is very nice; grapefruit and citrus up front and more sweet malt as it breathes a bit.

As I took my first sip I was ready for a bitter smack across the face and all I got was a little tap. Where did all the hops from the smell go? There's a bit of hop flavor at first but further sips find the hops getting covered up by sweet maltiness. Damn, I was really hoping for big hop flavor here. There's a little lingering bitterness in the finish but the hops are pretty weak in the taste for an IIPA.

The mouthfeel is pretty much spot on. Carbonation is just right and the beer feels smooth going down. Drinkability is pretty good; you don't taste the 8.5% but can start to feel it halfway through. At $3 a bottle this isn't a bad value but I had high hopes for this that it didn't quite reach. I'm still looking for that killer Cincy beer.

Hop Baron Double Down IPA from Rivertown Brewery & Barrel House