Hop Baron Double Down IPA | Rivertown Brewing Co.

good
good
Read the review
Hop Baron Double Down IPAHop Baron Double Down IPA

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 33 | Ratings: 96
3.71/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured into a snifter on 9/27/10

Burnt amber in color with golden edged highlights. At first I didn't think much head would manifest, though over one finger rose toward the end of the pour. Very bubbly retention holds. Decent lace at the onset, though it gets spotty.

Seemingly undergoing a transformation, the aroma initially struck me as floral, herbal & solvent-like. Additional considerations find suggestions of citrus hops (lemon & grapefruit). The solvency remains, albeit to a lesser degree. A touch of pine. Malts are maybe a bit too prominent with notes of bread, caramel & a hint of sugar cookie. Kind of an all-around weird aroma.

A multi-faceted wave of hops strikes the tongue up front. Pine, grapefruit, lemon zest, floral hints & herbal wisps, all with a solvent twinge. I find the taste much more impressive than the aroma, especially in the hops category. There's a good amount of bitterness to offset the malts which, though quite apparent, aren't really out of place for the style. There's some of the aforementioned sugar cookie sweetness that tugs at the bitterness.

Medium, maybe full bodied; somewhere in that spectrum. Carbonation is average for the style & seems appropriate for this beer. The solvency fades some as the beer warms. Though it isn't hot, there is some inherit warming. The finish is kind of odd; bitterness quickly concedes to the sweetness, which lingers.

I'll admit to being skeptical based on the nose. Regardless, I've found Hop Baron to be enjoyable; I'm glad I picked up a bottle (maybe two would have been better?). Cheers to Rivertown for some reasonably solid work on this one.

My cause for concern - this was $2.99 for a 12oz. bottle (I only saw them sold as singles). That price point pits the Baron against some heavy hitters...

3.27/5  rDev -5.5%

Picked up at Belmont Party Supply in Dayton when swinging through there a few days back. The label drew me in to this one; sweet biplane battle artwork is a winner every time. I do find it interesting that this particular brewery produces this DIPA but does not brew an actual American IPA. Curious.

Color is a mellow golden. Head dies extremely quickly despite copious visible carbonation. Nose is heavy on the herbal and citrus notes with some pine resin and needles there for appearances.

Strange. The hops are there but they seem to take a few lapses. Earthy, metallic malts spend a surprising amount of time in the spotlight. The body could be stiffer, though its not for a lack of bubbles. The whole project needs adjusting and tightening. I'm not even sure I'd recognize this as an IPA, let alone a DIPA. Keep the label, but fix the beer.

3.27/5  rDev -5.5%

The beer was served in an Imperial Pint glass.

Appearance: The body of the beer is clear orange with a quick to resolve white head.

Smell: Biscuit caramel malt support a bit of citrus and pine hops. Smells alright but not a hop bomb by any stretch.

Taste: The flavors of the beer are sweet biscuits smeared with caramel. This supports a thin pine hop. I would like a bit less malt and a hell of a lot more hops. This is more of a hop tinged malty beverage.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body of the beer is medium. The carbonation is on the low side but not really problematic. The beer drinks well enough. I think this is a very good stab at a DIPA. I think this beer needs another reworking.

2.75/5  rDev -20.5%

Pithy grapefruit with some earthiness and a really big malt bill come through on the nose. The flavor starts pretty sweet with caramel malts, then fleshy orange skin, white grapefruit, and the beer stays sweet all the way through...
Where's the bitterness?
As this warms it reminds me of grapefruit with sugar sprinkled across the top.

After having the Pale ale earlier that had no hop flavor and all bitterness, this is the complete opposite-- it's all flavor and no bitterness. The flavor is decent, but not really blowing me away.

This one is undercarbed and has a slight syrupy vibe to it.

There was little head on this one, no lace, and very poor retention.

Overall, this is a slightly subpar DIPA-- it isn't offensive, and if I were offered one I could drink it without having to feel like "I'm choking it down." I'd take this over lots of beers, but with DIPA being one of my favorite styles, I just cannot see this as anywhere above average.

4.23/5  rDev +22.3%

I was down in Cincinnati this past weekend as my brother graduated college from University of Cincinnati. So Saturday afternoon after the graduation ceremony we headed over The Party Source right across the river in Kentucky. I purchased a 4 pack of this, among other things that I can't get here in Cleveland, and some beers I can't get in Ohio at all. Poured into my tulip glass, this beer pours a nice medium golden/amber color with a bit of an orange hue and lots of bubbles constantly streaming up from the bottom to the top of the glass. The nice foamy white head is about half an inch thick when poured and settles to a good 1/4 inch thick, eventually finally settling to a nice very thick ring lining the inside of the glass. Good retention. Pretty good lace started to form after taking a sip or two. Has a nice caramel malt and pine citrus hop aromas. Has a good fairly bitter citrus and piney hop flavor upfront that gives way to a nice bready, chewy caramel malt sweetness. The flavors do balance out a bit more as the beer warms up a bit, but the citrus and piney hops do tend to dominate, which is as it should be with a Double IPA! has a crisp, smooth, sort of oily medium to full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. This one really coats the inside of the mouth quite a bit! Easy to drink in the way good beer like this should be. A very good effort here!

Eric

12 ounce bottle courtesy of Ryan011235, poured into a Duvel tulip. The dull amber body goes well beyond hazy into murky territory. A finger's worth of head disappears quite quickly, leaving a bubbly island and a thin collar of foam behind. A few specks of lacing.

Fighting thru the plentiful aromas of brown sugar and caramel (uh oh) is a lemony pine combo that's more reminiscent of a household cleaning product that actual lemon and pine.

On the positive side, there's a fairly potent undercurrent of bitterness and the plentiful overripe orange taste natural enough that I no longer want to scrub my floors. This stuff is tooth achingly sweet, though. I'd swear there was a spoonful of straight brown sugar dissolved in the bottle. I don't know what you paid for this bottle, Ryan, but you paid too much.

3.85/5  rDev +11.3%

Clear, honey amber with a smallish, creamy tan head. Caramel malt and orange with a touch of pine in the nose. A good tasting beer with plenty of balance between citrusy hops and carmel. Candied orange peel and toffee some to mind. Medium bodied and slightly syrupy in the finish. A fine beer but not really what I expected witha name like "Hop Baron", a maltier than most take on the style.

2.37/5  rDev -31.5%

Received as an extra in a recent trade.

A- Poured cloudy, I mean really hazy orange. This shit doesn't look clean, or too promising for that matter.

S- Here's where the wheels come off. I can tell by the smell, this beer is old. There is no forward hop presence and reading the bottle would really make me thing I should get hit with some strong hops presence if it was fresh.

At this point there's not much point in continuing. Tastes like syrup. There is a slight spiciniess in it that would be good if it was fresh. I'll hopefully get to try another one fresh and change my opinion. Perhaps they should bottle date these (shouldn't they all date them, especially if they are IPA's)?

3.68/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a light clear gold with nice sticky lacing.
Smells of mild spice, wheat, mild vegetal grains, sweet malt backbone.
Taste is very much like the smell but a bit amped up. It has a nice spicy finish that would let it pair well with some strong foods. The lingering finish is nicely bitter with a creamy and mildly carbonated mouthfeel.
This would be a nice summer beer after mowing the lawn.

3.71/5  rDev +7.2%

No indication of date.

A - a very pretty deep copper body with a nice white head atop and good bubbles coming up. Well done, on this part.

S - Pungent, skunkish bitterness, some vanilla, lemon, and sweet, earthy something or other...weird nose.

T - Sweet grapefruit kinda thing goin on here.. Bitter for sure on the finish, but up fron theres an odd sweetness to it. Not quite a typical DIPA, but it's not too bad.

M - thick and a bit drying. Pretty smooth.

O - not a bad beer. Some nice things to it, and it seems pretty unique. Rivertown's labels have also gotten significantly cooler. Probably won't have this again, but it's certainly one of the better Rivertown offerings.

3.9/5  rDev +12.7%

Pours a text book- amber golden with a solid topping of beige/tan head.
Smell is cirtusy with some nice crisp hoppy notes.
Taste is quick with its flowery/citrus flavor- but it checks out quickly- a little malt on a back end.
Finish is a quick jab of hops with some citrus and malt left on the back of my palate.
Drinks great- very crisp and refreshing- completely hides a 8.5 punch.

2.11/5  rDev -39%

12oz bottle into a Founders Tulip.

Pours a hazy golden orange with a huge three finger white head. The head falls fast, leaving moderate lacing. Pretty standard.

Nose is subdued at best. Maybe a touch of sweet citrus, but I'm reaching to find anything at all.

Taste is very very bland. There just isn't much of anything here. Not bitter, not hoppy, just extremely bland. Almost like lemon-lime soda, but without as much flavor. Without a doubt the most boring DIPA I've ever had.

Mouth is spritzy. Very thin and over carbonated. As boring as the nose and taste are, the mouthfeel is the weakest part of this brew.

Picked this up without knowing anything about it at the recommendation of an employee at Belmont Party Supply in Dayton, OH. Recommendations like this are why I typically don't ask for input from store employees. Avoid this beer.

3.75/5  rDev +8.4%

I have to put it out there... why is this a screw cap?! Not only is it the bottle type of horrible macro breweries but I also cannot reuse it for my home brews!

Hop Baron pours a clear copper with a small white head into a standard pint glass. I was surprised to read people saying their was cloudy... I can see right through this.

I get caramel malts up front, sweet fruits, yeast, and a bit of sour cherry. I expected more citrus or pine in the nose from the hops but it smells like the hops came in early and not dry hopped.

Bitter up front. I am guessing the majority of the 120 minute boil included hops. I still dont get a lot of flavor from them. I get caramel malts and a bit boozy (in a good way). The more it warms up the more I get a faint hint of some piney resin. This is flavorful but I expected more hops.

Medium bodied, nice mouth coating, and good carbonation.

Overall this is one of the better brews I have had from our hometown Rivertown guys. It was a single so I dont have another right now to compare it to but I like their attempt at a big beer.

3.99/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Pours hazy lemony orange with a small white head, smells of citrusy hops pine slight malt, tastes of sharp minerally spicy piney hops with a cooling malt in the background, mouthfeel is smooth and silky with a dry finish moderate carbonation.

3.06/5  rDev -11.6%

No bottle date, poured this into a snifter.
Pours a nice opper color with a creamy, white, one finger head. Head settles out very quickly. The beer is clear with little carbonation.
Picking up some grainy cereal type aromas along with a little bit of citrusy hops and alcohol.
For a DIPA it certainly doesn't smack me in the mouth with hop bitterness or flavor. I'm mostly getting som bready notes and a little sweetness with a small touch of hops.
At 8.5% I was expecting it to be a little heavier, it's not though. There's little carbonation and it leaves a grainy aftertaste. For a DIPA I am feeling a little unfullfilled.
I was hoping for more. It has a great color but that's about where the praise ends. After that it's pretty average. Unfortunate as this is a local brewery that I would like to support more.

2.62/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured Hop Baron into a Belgian Tulip.

A - Pours a cloudy burnt orange with a half a finger of white head.

S - Malty, tropical citrus, honey. Not sure about this one.

T - Disappointing, I really not sure what this is. Orange flavors, musty malt.

M - Medium mouthfeel, with medium carbonation.

O - Not the worst beer I've had but damn close. Steer Clear!

3.7/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased on a recent trip to Jungle Jim's International Market in Fairfield, OH. No freshness date on bottle. Apparently they only use it on the case packaging. Poured from 12 oz bottle into a tulip.

A - The lightest of orange in hue, with a moderately large white head which fades to some light lacing.

S - A good combination of citrus and piney hops but not much else.

T - Hops show through with both citrus and piney hops flavors present. Well integrated and not too overpowering.

M - Medium body with little carbonation.

This is my first from this brewery. It was a good example of an imperial IPA, though I have had better. I am glad I was able to try it and would be happy to sample others from this brewery.

3.5/5  rDev +1.2%

Light Amber color, leaning toward the oranger side. off-White 1/4" head at pour settling to a off-white ring and thin cover on face of beer. Dark malty aroma with compliments of a deep orange breadiness. Occasionally picked up some brighter citrus notes. Doesn't pick up as much hop as I was expecting for style, aroma pretty much dominated by maltiness. Very dry finish. Beginning is very dark and sweet. Middle brings through a slightly brighter, citrusy flavor. End becomes dry which carries through to finish. Heavier maltiness very dominate in overall flavor as well accompanied by a relatively high carbonation level that seems to linger. Overall not that bad, slightly on heavy on the sweetness.

3.85/5  rDev +11.3%

I came across this beer at the Party Source this week and it caught me totally off guard. I can't find any mention of it anywhere, but alas, here it is in my Perfect Pint glass. I'm not sure what the availability is going to be, but I'm happy to finally see a Cincinnati brewery take on a bigger style like this.

This beer is an extremely clear golden orange and pours with a half-finger of head that quickly falls into a ring around the glass. Carbonation bubbles float lazily from the bottom. The smell on this is very nice; grapefruit and citrus up front and more sweet malt as it breathes a bit.

As I took my first sip I was ready for a bitter smack across the face and all I got was a little tap. Where did all the hops from the smell go? There's a bit of hop flavor at first but further sips find the hops getting covered up by sweet maltiness. Damn, I was really hoping for big hop flavor here. There's a little lingering bitterness in the finish but the hops are pretty weak in the taste for an IIPA.

The mouthfeel is pretty much spot on. Carbonation is just right and the beer feels smooth going down. Drinkability is pretty good; you don't taste the 8.5% but can start to feel it halfway through. At $3 a bottle this isn't a bad value but I had high hopes for this that it didn't quite reach. I'm still looking for that killer Cincy beer.

3.85/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured into my bells two hearted glass. Thanks to gcurlow for both! Aroma is sweet and malty with a small hint of floral citrus hops. Taste is sweet malts and then followed by a hoppy bitterness. mouthful is resinous and sweet. Overall I this is another beer I would love to try on tap, with some pizza while wat king some ufc.

3.59/5  rDev +3.8%

No date on bottle. Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

A - Orange and clear with a bright, dense white head. Looks just like I'd expect a DIPA to look.

S - Hops are definitely present in the nose. Pine, citrus, and a little pineapple. However, the hops aroma is a little subdued from what I expect in a DIPA. No malt in nose, which would be nice to have.

T - Taste follows aroma. Hops are up front in flavor with a firm, lasting bitterness. Bitterness is a little rough, but not out of line for a DIPA. Light, toasty malt flavor. There's a sweetness present, but from the warming sensation I think the sweet flavor is from the alcohol. Clean yeast character.

M - Warming with a dry finish. Moderate carbonation and very smooth drinking.

D - A very quaffable DIPA. If you took New Glarus' Moon Man and amped it up, you'd have this beer. A beer that would go very well with a strong cheese. The malt isn't too sweet, which is something that I think gets screwed up in a lot of DIPAs. I'd like a stronger hop aroma and flavor in this beer, though.

3.88/5  rDev +12.1%

Not a bad brew, whatsoever. Served into a Saison Dupont ~12 oz. glass. Amber in color, with a little less than a fingers head. Nice tight carbonation around ring of glass.

Aroma was of orange rind, pine, and somewhat raisin.

Taste is piney, more of the orange bitter, wet and oily, yet super drinkable.

As beer warms up, malt becomes more noticeable. The 103+ IBUs are up front, which slightly slope away, with oily citrus there in the middle, followed by a faint woody, bready malt presence, and satisfactory bitter finish.

Drank this one pretty damn fast. Bitter was never biting, and beer was rather enjoyable. Not sure when I'll pick this up again, because at 8.5% abv, I surely wouldn't session this one.

Not bad, though. Try it. It's a rather approachable DIPA I could see my less hop-inclined friends enjoying.

*I don't like to try and get into detail about the color of the beer or head because I am color blind (not fully, but to the point where I can't differentiate purple from blue and brown, red and green from one another). But, if I had a guess, this was a medium tan head, with the beer itself appearing a pretty clear amber.

4.85/5  rDev +40.2%

This beer has an excellent nose and a strong floral hopiness. Unfortunately I cannot find it in TX, so I'll have to settle for getting some whenever I come back to Cincy for a visit.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Hop Baron Double Down IPA from Rivertown Brewing Co.