Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Lambic | Rivertown Brewery & Barrel House

Rivertown Brewery & Barrel House
Ohio, United States
rivertownbrewery.com

Style: Lambic - Unblended

Fermented by exposing the beer to untamed yeasts and bacteria native to Rivertown Brewery, known as House Funk. This blend fermented for over a year in wine barrels.

Added by mcallister on 04-26-2011

3.89/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Bottle opened on 1.5.14
Thanks bstyle!
VIntage 2011

A - Pours a hazy light orange with a small soapy, white head that fades pretty quickly.

S - Tart, oaky, lemon, slightly floral.

T - Tart lemon and orange, oaky and finishes funky.

D - Light body with good carbonation.

O - Nice tartness, oaky, citrus with a pleasant funk. Good beer.

4.03/5  rDev 0%

3.58/5  rDev -11.2%

I got this in a trade from one of you fine people last year but I have forgotten who, thanks bud! The first whiff of the opened bottle reeked of cider vinegar, uh oh. I poured a couple glasses and it was an amber orange color and while not quite translucent it wasn't turbid or anything. The aroma settled down after a couple minutes and it was less vinegar but still had an apple cider quality. Flavor was more cider, sour, apples, not bad at all. If you are judging this as a lambic you will be disappointed but I do respect them for going down a difficult path. As an American wild ale its just fine. There are just some qualities to authentic lambic that Americans haven't nailed yet, maybe its the funk, maybe its the yeast, maybe its a je nais se quoi.

3.71/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

3.97/5  rDev -1.5%

22oz bottle, corked and capped a la Cantillon, $11.99 in Columbus. A lambic from OH, I'm very interested to see this. From the label: "Unlike conventional ales and lagers, which are fermented by carefully cultivated strains of brewer’s yeasts, our award winning lambic beer is instead produced by exposing it to the wild yeasts and bacterias that are native to the Senne Valley, of Brussels, Belgium. It is this unusual process involving over a year of fermentation which gives this beer its distinctive flavor: DRY, VINOUS, and CIDERY, with a crisp sour aftertaste."

This pours a hazy golden color with a thin foam that laces in splotchy clumps. Authentic aromas, softly tart with good mild funk. It tastes sour in an approachable way, hints of citrus fruits, a lasting bite. I think it tastes fantastic, definitely better than some from the authentic land (Belle-Vue in particular has earned my indifference, as has MortSubite).

Light carbonation, very appropriate mouthfeel and really drinkable. This stuff is really good, I guess I'm surprised.

This is a very nice lambic, I think it would be great if they keep some in oak for a few years so they can take a stab at gueuze in the future. It would be very cool to see this type of development in the USA, especially in OH.

A-Cloudy orange, not much carbonation or head

S-Nice tartness, acidic notes, little grapes and some oak

T-Starts with nice tartness, mild acidity, oak and grapes, slight lemon

M-Lighter, dry finish, not much carbonation.

O-A solid lambic, from 2011 all that is left is the acidic notes, can only wonder what it is like fresh

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.73/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

4.06/5  rDev +0.7%

1 PINT 9.4 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a flute
2012 vintage

A - It is a golden color with straw highlights. I got very little off-white head.

S - The aroma is sour with some dank basement. I get some green apple and pear.

T - The taste is tart and vinous. It is acidic. The taste is not as intense as the smell. The sourness doesn't really linger in the aftertaste.

M - Sticky and moderate.

O - This is my first unblended lambic. I enjoy the sourness of the beer, but I would like more. With no experience with Belgian lambics, I am eager to try more. I like this one.

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

Big thanks goes out to my boy aasher for giving me this one during our MASSIVE in-person trade when he came down to visit! Thanks buddy! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured a hazy golden yellow with a one finger pure white head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, citrus, lemon zest, funk, and slight tart fruit. The flavor was of sweet malt, funk, lemon rine, lemon zest, citrus, and wood. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. I was really surprised at how citrus/lemon forward this one was. The funk aspect was quite nice on this one and played well with citrus however. My only gripe was that this one wasn't as complex as I would have liked, but still managed to come across as a nice brew to all who tried it. Worth trying if you can find it, and worth seeking out for fans of the style or lemony brew fans.

4.24/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2.4/5  rDev -40.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured into a tulip. 2012 vintage. Like the Rivertown Gueuze I had a little while ago, the cap came off of this way, way, way too easily. While this beer may have been flat anyway, the gueuze should not have been.

3.5 A: Mildly hazed orange brown color. No head.

3.5 S: The nose on this is sharp and acidic. Loads of lactic acid with plenty of acetic underneath. Tangy and fruity with peach and apple. Melon and some vinous notes underneath. Hay and dry woody funkiness, but it doesn't hold a candle up to the acid. Oak without much tannic astringency.

1.75 T: Wow. On the pucker-scale, this one shoots right past mouth-puckering and straight to ass-puckering. Most of the time, the first sip makes a sour beer seem more sour than it is. Your palate needs a couple sips to acclimate back to sours. This beer does not apply. It's fully unbalanced with bracing acidity and unrelenting intensity. I can feel my tooth enamel dripping down my esophagus. If you can taste anything past the acid, you might say this beer is tangy and fruity. Again apple, peach, and vinous fruitiness. Hay and oaky woodiness. It's so damn sour that I can't keep it in my mouth long enough to discern any other flavors.

3.5 M: Lighter medium body. Not really any carbonation. Drinks like a thick water, which is a nice mouthfeel for a lambic.

1.5 D: If I'm dead tomorrow then it's probably because I finished the bottle by myself. Wholly undrinkable, even for the most seasoned lambic drinkers. I'm not a sour noob, so I'm not overreacting. This may be even less balanced that the Cantillon Kriek I had a while back. Brace yourselves, acid is coming.

4.21/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Reviewed from notes. Poured from a 2014 vintage 750 mL bottle into a Brooklyn Brewery tulip glass.

A: Hazy gold, with a one-finger white head with good retention. A big initial blush of visible carbonation settles down quickly.

S: Farmhouse funk, dry and grassy (I assume some Brett), and lactic tartness. Some lemony citric acid with cracker malt sweetness in the background.

T: Lactic tart up front. Citric lemon bite. Funk from the Brett with accompanying barnyard character, which dries this out in the middle along with some faint oak tannins. A bit of sweetness from the biscuity malt. There's a touch of acetic sour bite near the end. It finishes dry and acidic with another punch of funk.

M: Fairly light bodied, though seems about average for style. Lots of carbonation sensation. Not much alcohol flavor but there's a bit of burn which makes me think this might be a bit higher of an ABV than most in style.

O: Very tasty, especially for a regular/rotating offering. I'm not sure the acetic character I'm picking up at the end adds anything to the beer (nor would be style appropriate, I don't think). But fortunately, it doesn't ruin the experience.

Lambic from Rivertown Brewery & Barrel House