Unit 6 American Hefeweizen | Rivertown Brewery & Barrel House

Added by Cannoneer on 11-15-2011

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.75/5  rDev +56.8%

3.8/5  rDev +25.4%

Appearance: This beer pours a slightly hazy orange color and is topped with 1” of angel white head that leaves rather quickly to a thin layer of mini bubbles.
Smell: This smells spot on what a hefeweizen should be a nice waft of malt aroma some coriander and orange peel, delicious.
Taste: It does not have the taste that I expected not a typical hefe but that isn’t all bad it say a new twist on an old favorite. There is a nice malt backbone to the beer just like it should be it just doesn’t have the coriander taste that most hefeweizen’s have.
Mouthfeel: This is a light and easy drinking beer a great sit on the beach and take it easy type of brew. Unit 6 is not your typical hefe, but that isn’t all bad a change of pace is good sometimes.

3.72/5  rDev +22.8%

3.34/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

On tap at Kickbacks in Jax. Poured into a snifter. Large white, fluffy head, good retention on a hazy golden body. Aroma includes some mild fresh citrussy hop bitterness and a hint of lemon zest. Taste is mildly bitter, again some lemon and not too much else. Lacking a bit in flavor but certainly should be approachable and drinkable to most.

3.25/5  rDev +7.3%

3.25/5  rDev +7.3%

3.2/5  rDev +5.6%

Like Canoneer, I am a proponent of local beer, so although I have been somewhat disappointed by Rivertown in the past, i decided to try the American Hefeweizen here described.
Poured from a bottle into my Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden Pint+ glass (I think it must be 20 oz.)
Despite a somewhat aggressive pour, there was little head (1/2 finger maybe) with near zero lace retention on the glass.
The beer pours pretty clear considering it is advertised as unfiltered, I was expecting a more hazy appearance that is typical for the Hefeweizen style...perhaps this is the "American" component of the beer style.
The smell is grassy, summery, little hops -my nose is stuffed up, so i really can't smell much.
At first sip, I am somewhat surprised...definitely taste the pilsner here. In fact, if i were blindly taste-testing, i would guess that it was a pilsner that I was drinking... not much wheat taste here. It is not a bad taste, but not quite what I was expecting.
Taste is very summery and actually not bad for some backyard summer beer drinking in the late afternoon. Definitely a session beer. By the 5th one I was liking it quite a bit actually.
Overall, I did not care for it tremendously upon the first sip, but as i drank more, it actually kind of started to grow on me. I really like that the beer is brewed here in Cincinnati and I really want to support Rivertown. I have not found a lot of their beer that I like, but i did somewhat enjoy this beer and I also enjoyed their Wit Beer which is a more belgian style Wheat beer. So I think they are improving and hopefully the brewery will continue to seek better tasting beers with better quality control...

3.08/5  rDev +1.7%

This hefe is on the darker side of gold and the style. It starts off thick and opaque, but I have to say I've never seen an unfiltered beer that starts off opaque and then...clears up(?). Anyway, it's still slightly opaque, but I can see through it. Pretty strange. It grows a white head with a slight yellow tint that doesn't rise particularly high but does manage a foam that's very sturdy and never fades. Lacing is spotty.
I smell no Belgian yeast in this beer. Is the mysterious new twist that it's not actually a Hefeweizen? Smells like an APWA to me. Crackery malts with a wheat essence seem to form the foundation. There is a good floral hoppiness for a light ale. So, not a bad smell for a beer all in all, nothing like a hefeweizen; I'd say it evens out to average.
The flavor is pretty much the same story. That it's fairly hoppy for such a light beer is good; that it's nothing like the style isn't so much. I don't think a brewery ought to just brew a light ale (granted, there's plenty of wheat) and randomly call it a hefeweizen if it isn't one. What makes it a hefe if there's no Belgian yeast? It's not just the wheat.
The feel is brisk, the body on the higher side of light though it remains within parameters. The carbonation does make for a pretty good smoothness. It's just a little too spritzy, otherwise not bad.

2.75/5  rDev -9.2%