Geuze Cuvée J&J (Joost En Jessie) Blauw (Blue) | Brouwerij 3 Fonteinen

Geuze Cuvée J&J (Joost En Jessie) Blauw (Blue)Geuze Cuvée J&J (Joost En Jessie) Blauw (Blue)
4.68/5

Brouwerij 3 Fonteinen
3fonteinen.be

Style: Gueuze

Added by TheLongBeachBum on 05-15-2005

4.37/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.12/5  rDev -12%

4.53/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle: Poured a dirty cloudy beige color lambic with a huge foamy head with great retention and some really good lacing. Aroma of oak with funky notes of wet leather and barnyard notes is quite sublime. Taste is a very nice complex mix between some acidity similar to what can be found in green apples as well as some oak and barn yard notes. Flavors are very well balanced with good carbonation even though bottle is 7 years old. Even though this is great it still feels to be slightly inferior to the regular Oude Gueuze from 1999 which in my book is still one of the best beer around the world.

Thanks for sharing this one, Shane.

This beer gushed forth from the bottle immediately upon uncorking, though we didn't lose any beer or injure anyone in the process of opening it. In the glass it's a cloudy copper color with an enormous head that's fed by massive carbonation. Head retention is outstanding, the beer was topped by a big fluffy white cap of foam for a good 15 minutes.

The aroma is lemony (rotting lemons, specifically) and funky, wet hay and wet dog coming to mind. It's also very woody, musty, mushroom-y.

On the palate it opens with moderate lactic sourness, bitter orange peel and drying oak. Carbonation is high, almost champagne-like. Flavors of lemon rind, quince and green grape come out mid-palate. The sourness is nicely balanced by the wood, with a long tannic and drying finish.

I've had this beer on many occasions and next to some other world-class lambic, and it's consistently a favorite of mine. Possibly the best gueuze out there.

4.58/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a 1/2 finger of off-white head. Great retention. Leaves some lace. Color is a hazed golden orange. Active carbonation.

Aroma: Sour and funky with some oak. Has a fresh fruit profile with some sour lemon zest. Horse blanket and barnyard funk. I get a hint of grapes as well.

Taste: Wow, it is spot on. A perfect amount of acidic, funk, and fruit. I get blueberries with a big amount of oak. Lemon zest and citrus. It has a barnyard funk and hay with some horseblanket.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy, sour, and tart. Light to medium body with a good amount of carbonation. Ends clean with a light funk.

Overall, probably the best gueuze I have had. Very drinkable. I cannot believe how better this is as compared to others. Wow, it is crazy drinkable. I am very happy with this one.

4.92/5  rDev +5.1%

I have to give a huge thanks to Chris Lively at Ebeneezers for this one. I don't think I ever would have been able to try it without him. These are coming from my notes that were scribbled a little half-assed as I was too busy drowning in the pure awesomeness of this beer.

A: Pours a cloudy hazy peach-like yellow amber colored with a very light head that fades very quickly.

N: Pure awesomeness. A slight yeasty earthy funk is there, slight Brett like nose that doesn't overpower anything, and knows it's role very well. A slight citrus and sour and tart fruit as well. A slight chardonnay grape like aroma too.

T: OH man, my own tongue is melting into itself with pure joy. The light sour and tangy fruit plays really well with the definite but still held in content funk. It's got a slight barnyard funk with a little yeast and dryness, but nothing overpowering. The slight sour/tart fruit flavors just dance so nicely on the tongue. A little citrus, touch of lemon and I think pink grapefruit, as well as that definite chardonnay wine, which also comes with some oak flavors. I've never had Roos, but from what I've tasted before this is the epitome of what a sour/wild/gueze should be.

M: Lighter body with decent carbonation.

F: It finishes strong but light at the same time, almost like a shell of itself. The nice wild funk flavors slowly fade off the tongue and leave behind the really nice sour tart fruit flavors, but less tart at this point. The dryness that comes with it really makes your mouth water and beg for more. WIth each sip I want the next sip more and more, until alas, I'm staring at my last sip (which was about 10 minutes of staring). Nothing bad on the finish, it finishes basically perfectly.

I really have to thank Chris again for this beer, it was just so amazing, lived up to all the hype. Best sour I have ever had by far. All the people in my party (two of us beer enthusiasts and two non typical beer drinkers) all love this thing to death. If only I could get a good supply of this beer, life would be perfect!

4.6/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Incredible amount of thanks to Eric for sharing this bottle at Mike's bachelor-party tasting. I had been wanting to try this for quite some time now. Served in a Savor snifter.

Pours with a nice golden hue and a single-finger white head with some good retention as well as a good dose of lacing and a nice collar after that settles down. Light carbonation bubbles atop the beer throughout. How long they would have stayed, I'm not all that sure--try as I might to drink this slowly, I couldn't really help myself. The nose was quite funky with a bit of sourness. A nice oak presence and a lot of horse blanket. This was just extremely pungent.

The taste had some really nice lactic character as well as musty basement notes and some lemon. Good barnyard-y hay character and a slight woodiness. The mouthfeel was quite dry with just enough carbonation. Excellent funk presence throughout with a good amount of sourness to balance. Amazingly complex, this was a bottle I could have consumed all of, and am glad we opened this outside without losing any, especially given the fact that I believe the cork shot out a good 25 feet or more. Cheers, Eric.

4.98/5  rDev +6.4%

Drank this superb blended Geuze on many occasions with more to come!

Hazy reddish orange with a huge two finger bright white head, leaving a light film and thin wisps of lace down the glass; perfect!! Aroma is typical Armand geuze with the funkiness you expect from his Lambics. Barnyard, horse blanket, lemon peel, sour apples, drying oak tannins, and a bright acidic tartness; it doesn't get much better than this. I could savour this aroma for hours without a taste from the glass; very complex! Then comes the taste with a nice lemony zest but balanced with other fruit like sweetness and hints of oak and earth and of course funky barnyard, horse blanket, and just the perfect touch of tartness. Mouthfeel has light tannins, delicate, nuanced and well balanced with a nice puckering aftertaste that leaves me drooling for more.

Personally, this once in a life time Geuze is second to none; Fantastic!!!

4.02/5  rDev -14.1%

4.25/5  rDev -9.2%

4.82/5  rDev +3%

From 04/14/12 notes. I believe Thorpe429 brought this one and Brad brough the Roos, but it could be the other way around. Either way, huge thanks to both fo you for sharing these side by side at the sour tasting; they've been huge wants of mine for a very long time.

a - Pours a murky dark orange-brown color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident. Little bit darker then the Roos.

s - Smells of sour fruits, barnyard funk, oak, earthy notes, citrus, hay, light spice. Ton of sour fruits, very nice nose.

t - Tastes of barnyard funk, sour fruits, sour citrus, lemons, hay, earthy notes, spice, fruity malts, bread. More funk then the nose and even more sour fruits; amazing taste. One of the best tasting gueuzes at the tasting and I've ever had.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Crisp and easy to drink; perfect mouthfeel.

o - Overall this beer blew me away; one of the best beers I had at the tasting and one of the best sours I've had in general. I think everyone preferred this one to the Roos; I found this one funkier and the Roos with a little more spice. An Awesome beer I really hope I can have again.

4.92/5  rDev +5.1%

reviews from notes

part of the mega sour tasting, i provided this gem which took me the better part of forever and my oldest son to acquire. none the less i made it and was thrilled to be able to bust it out.

Popped with a loud bang and was very active from the onset, that much was for sure. Tons of carbonation rippling through both the bottle and the glass throughout the sesssion, a huge carbonation explosion. Very nice bright amber color with a huge amount of white fizzy head on top. At least four inches of white foam topping off this one made it look wonderful, with a deep cloudy and hazy look to it, I knew it was aged well.

The aroma was so sour and bitter, I had a cheek to cheek grin immediatly. Simply a wonderful aroma here, tons of yeast coming through, lots of light sour grapes and tartness. The flavor was superb, really one of the best I have ever had. The first light notes of sour yeast roll across the tongue and just explode in your mouth, rippling and shredding taste buds all the way. Nice white grapes, light grains, and fresh grass all coming through. As it warmed some more subtle pear and apple characters were coming through now, this was astoundingly complex, so much so I did not really even know where to begin with this. I was floored by the flavor here. The carbonation was huge, keeping it light and airy and really letting every get to a depth that was confoundingly complex. Simply great. I easily threw done the whole bottle, as at only 6% this was simply outstanding. If I had more then one other bottle I would have reached for it immediatly. Long lingering dried out bitter finish had so much complex flavor that I was just letting linger on and on as I did not want to let it stop.

Overall easily one of the best beers, regardless of style that i have ever had the pleasure of drinking.

4.94/5  rDev +5.6%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Hazy orange body. Medium white head. Nice collar.

Smell - Citrus zest and a hefty funk. Very woody. White pepper. Oh my.

Taste - Orange and lemon citrus. Some wheat. A little bit of malt. Pepper. Funky. Sourness builds into the finish. Unbelievably good.

Mouthfeel - Perfect sourness. Perfect body. Well carbonated.

Overall - I am stunned. This is as good as a gueuze gets.

4.73/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

HUGE thanks to Kramer for bringing both Blauw and Roos to Ffej of July IX and allowing me to knock off a pair of long time wants. Blauw first, Roos second.

A - Pours murky reddish orange with a huge two finger tall bright white head, dissipating down to a light film, leaving thin wisps of lace down the glass.

S - Smells of funky basement must, barn yard hay, lemon peel, sour apples, drying oak tannins, and a bright acidic tartness. It kind of smells like ripe cheese with a bit of tartness thrown in. Very nice.

T - Starts off with a big, sharp, acidic kick quickly giving way to a mix of musty funk, wet hay, lemon zest, granny smith apples, and drying oak tannins. The sourness is strong initially but it quickly gets enveloped by the strong barnyard funk. The finish is bone dry, lingering for some time.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Tart, funky, feel with lots of dryness in the finish. It has an good balance of funk to tart throughout.

O - While I personally preferred the sharp tartness of the Roos to the funky must of the Blauw, this is still an excellent beer. They truly are the perfect complement to each other. Hope I get to try this one again in the future. Thanks again Kramer!

Geuze Cuvée J&J (Joost En Jessie) Blauw (Blue) from Brouwerij 3 Fonteinen