Geuze Cuvée J&J (Joost En Jessie) Blauw (Blue) | Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen

Geuze Cuvée J&J (Joost En Jessie) Blauw (Blue)Geuze Cuvée J&J (Joost En Jessie) Blauw (Blue)

Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen
3fonteinen.be

Style: Gueuze

Added by TheLongBeachBum on 05-15-2005

Reviews: 92 | Ratings: 213
4.65/5  rDev +0.2%

Thanks to the "King of Beers" Jim for sharing this one.

Poured into a 5 oz. taster glass. Not a proper vessel for reviewing appearance, so my rating for this category is adjusted to create an accurate overall score.

Pours a murky golden brown color. The aroma is very oaky, lemon zesty, dirty/earthy, with a sunflower seed nuttiness.

The flavor is complex but very well balanced. A bit oak forward I suppose (ok, LOTS of oak) with a tart lemon backbone. Notes of peach and a laundry list of earthy qualities.

The body is ultra dry and pretty much perfect for a gueuze.

Overall this is just an outstanding example of gueuze and a blend that is definitely unique and inspiring.

4.58/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a 1/2 finger of off-white head. Great retention. Leaves some lace. Color is a hazed golden orange. Active carbonation.

Aroma: Sour and funky with some oak. Has a fresh fruit profile with some sour lemon zest. Horse blanket and barnyard funk. I get a hint of grapes as well.

Taste: Wow, it is spot on. A perfect amount of acidic, funk, and fruit. I get blueberries with a big amount of oak. Lemon zest and citrus. It has a barnyard funk and hay with some horseblanket.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy, sour, and tart. Light to medium body with a good amount of carbonation. Ends clean with a light funk.

Overall, probably the best gueuze I have had. Very drinkable. I cannot believe how better this is as compared to others. Wow, it is crazy drinkable. I am very happy with this one.

3.91/5  rDev -15.7%

Shared by alfrantzell, who was overheard remarking, "This isn't made by Cantillon so it's not a real gueuze anyway." That comment was as real as the Narke Xantus tasting notes he ascribed to me.

A: I had the pleasure of sitting across the table. I was in full adrenaline mode, having stayed up most of the night before; my heart was pounding in the low 100s, and I was staring at everyone with an intense, but haggard, paranoia. When I saw Arne apply some pressure on the cork, I went into The Zone. Time slowed down. I observed his wan, dullard face adopt a soft grin. I saw the cork slip just a millimeter past his fingers. I should have reached out and caught it, but I wanted to see what would happen next. Yes. Yes. The bottle was about to burst, all over Arne's pretty face. Yes. OOMPH! The cork shot out, just inches past his eye. Arne, still grinning, had no time to react. If he had been standing just a bit closer, he'd be a pirate right now.

Anyway, the beer was grossly overcarbonated to the point of injury. It gushed. In our glasses, it poured a faintly glowing light amber / orange body with good head, good retention, good lace.

S: Wood. Tannic as hell. Sulfur, fresh produce -- I suppose blueberries, but there was a general berry / fruit character to it that went beyond just one fruit -- and funk.

T: This is very, very woody (cue largadeer: "That's what makes it amazing! Most tannic gueuze I've ever had!"). Lemon zest, lactic sourness, restrained blueberries and some other fruit (white grape?). Funk was there, but it was not a strong or defining characteristic. It is expressed as horse blanket and must.

M: Carbonation is high, making it quite foamy. Otherwise, the beer is dry, astringent (tannic).

D: It was quite good.

4.08/5  rDev -12.1%

Pours similar to the oude geuze. Hazy yellow color and lively carbonation. Smell has a very musty brett character. Earth, mushrooms and sharp lemons. Flavor is strikingly similar to Millenium Geuze for me. That dry, woody, strong brett, and earthy/soil/mushroom flavor is coming forward the most. Lemon acidity is moderate. A bit more acidic than Millenium. I actually prefer this much more. The flavor isn't totally driven and dulled out by that unique brett flavor. Carbonation is prickly on the tongue. Very nice.

4.49/5  rDev -3.2%

Thanks to a generous Jerz. Managed to take down a few notes in regards to this brew.

Pours a pale gold with a white frothy, gigantic head. The most carbonated sour ale I can recall. Incredibly bubbly, long-lasting carbonation.

Smells like cheese, unripe citrus, a bit of farmhouse/barnyard mustiness, fresh cut hay, and mold. Really smells wonderful.

Taste is very good, but way overcarbonated. The funk gives way to sour tones, though it isn't bracingly sour. Fresh, still-green grapefruits and lemons dominate, with cobwebs of must, dust, funk, and earthy loam add layers of complexity. There definitely is a sweaty cheese component to both the aroma and the smell.

Rich lively mouthfeel. I don't know ... I guess you can wait for the carbonation to die down, but I really feel like I've got to ding the crazy bubbling problem.

4.73/5  rDev +1.9%

Bottle shared with the wife on August 12 2010 at De Heeren van Liedekerke.

A: Inviting golden, pale-amber colored body with was capped by a beautiful craggy off-white head. Lasted for quite sometime and left a healthy dose of soap-like lace.

S: The only thing that outdoes the lemon-lactic citric nature of this beer is the massive musty, oak funk that permeates the immediate area surrounding the freshly opened bottle. Certainly inviting to any gueuze-head.

T: Magnificent. A well balanced performance is put on by the lemon, oak, must, wheat, and tart notes here. This bottle demonstrates why great gueuze can be cellared for years.

M: Quite the effervescent treat here. Loads of carbonation delivers the flavors to the tongue with each sip. Bone dry finish with a healthy, but not overpowering tartness.

D: An undeniably great gueuze. Traveling out to DHVL is also a great part of the experience!

4.78/5  rDev +3%

A - The cork pops out loudly and we were are a little surprised by the bottle gushing. This beer is almost 7 years old and still has plenty of carbonation. Pours copper gold with a pillowy white head that leaves a web and decent lacing.

S - Blauw brings the funk, a soaking wet horse rolling on a blue cheese blanket in a barn. The citric aroma of lemon peel is there with a light oak.

T - A perfect balance is what describes the taste. Not as funky as the nose, nice lemon, oak, white grapes, with a tannic finish.

M/D - high carbonation, tannic dry finish, with decent acidity that does not wear on the palate. The only reason I stopped sipping on this beer was to enjoy the assortment of funky cheeses.

A beautiful blend of lambics that has easily stood up to 7 years, and my favorite gueuze to date.

Now I just need a Roos....

4.36/5  rDev -6%

Wow. Never thought I'd get a chance to try this one...xpimptastikx is a hero amongst men for sharing this bottle with me, himself, and two others at a recent tasting.

Blauw sports a creamy, light custard head that is superbly retained atop a hazy caramel-colored body. Aromas of wet Earth and wild berry vines. This gueuze embodies the definition of barnyard funk. Soily, hippy funk. And it is so good.

Vinous greenery bites into the palate, with a soft undertone of fruit and fresh-cut grass. A bit of funk, but Blauw has more of that lactic bite I've come to expect from a good Belgian gueuze. Mouthfeel is uber-carbonated and light on the palate with a nice drying, tannic finish that doesn't wear down the tongue. Paired well with blue cheese and aged cheddar. Such a great beer, and worthy of the hype. Thanks Mike!!

4.53/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle: Poured a dirty cloudy beige color lambic with a huge foamy head with great retention and some really good lacing. Aroma of oak with funky notes of wet leather and barnyard notes is quite sublime. Taste is a very nice complex mix between some acidity similar to what can be found in green apples as well as some oak and barn yard notes. Flavors are very well balanced with good carbonation even though bottle is 7 years old. Even though this is great it still feels to be slightly inferior to the regular Oude Gueuze from 1999 which in my book is still one of the best beer around the world.

4.72/5  rDev +1.7%

Bottle consumed on 7/30/2010, thanks! Opened carefully outside and only lost a few ounces. This was my second (third, if you count the chaos that was Woodshop 5.0) encounter with the beer and I enjoyed it a lot more this time around. I poured it and allowed it to sit for a while, enjoying it over 2-3 hours. The beer really opened up and when the carbonation died down a bit the flavor was incredible. The tannins were more restrained in this bottle, but it is still a very woody and tannic Gueuze. Enjoyed with a Danish Bleu Cheese, I don't know what could possibly be better.

+.5 Taste
+.5 Mouthfeel
+.5 Drinkability

Bottle Consumed on 11/6/2009 and poured into a snifter. I'd heard that this one was a gusher so we opened it outside. When we popped the cork, foam rose at a moderate pace but there was no gushing. The beer pours very carbonated with an enormous fizzy, off white, three finger head. Retention is excellent and scattered lacing is left behind. The color is cloudy dull sun orange.

The nose opens with a nice balance of funk and citrus. There's a moderate tannic quality in the nose with noticeable wood. The Brett is expressive, imparting a goaty character and notes of wet leather, cheese, musty barnyard, and wet horse blanket. There's a distinct white grape note accompanied by lemon peel and an earthy quality. These various elements are superbly balanced.

The flavor opens with tart lemon peel, white grape skins, and lactic notes. It's very woody with a tannic dominance. The flavor isn't as funky as the nose suggested, but there are subtle notes of wet leather and barnyard mustiness. Lactic sourness increases with warming. The finish is tart citrus with wood notes and unbelievably tannic and dry. This might be the most tannic beer I've ever had. It's definitely the most tannic beer I can think of off the top of my head.

The beer is spritzy with a dry, tannic mouthfeel that turns your mouth into a desert wasteland. I'm not sure what I was expecting from this beer. I really enjoyed the aroma, but the flavor fell short of my expectations. I found that the extreme tannic quality detracted from the overall enjoyment.

4.72/5  rDev +1.7%

This was my 2000th officially recorded tick! Hell yeah! 750ml bottle thanks to alfrantzell.

The cork exploded out of the bottle. Pours hazy golden in color with a gigantic white head that lasts. Good lacing.

Amazing gueuze aroma: funky, musty, and oaky with a slight sulfuric note. Really really awesome for the gueuze style.

Flavor is also excellent. A little funky with a subtle malt note and lots of barnyard funk. A little cheesiness even, but in a good way. Lots of oak and slight tannins. Just a little residual sweetness.

Dry on the palate with good medium acidity and fairly high carbonation.

Really awesome stuff overall. I like my gueuzes with a little bit of sweetness to balance the tartness, and this is such a beer. Too bad it's so rare (although the rarity undoubtedly enhanced my experience with this one).

4.92/5  rDev +6%

I have to give a huge thanks to Chris Lively at Ebeneezers for this one. I don't think I ever would have been able to try it without him. These are coming from my notes that were scribbled a little half-assed as I was too busy drowning in the pure awesomeness of this beer.

A: Pours a cloudy hazy peach-like yellow amber colored with a very light head that fades very quickly.

N: Pure awesomeness. A slight yeasty earthy funk is there, slight Brett like nose that doesn't overpower anything, and knows it's role very well. A slight citrus and sour and tart fruit as well. A slight chardonnay grape like aroma too.

T: OH man, my own tongue is melting into itself with pure joy. The light sour and tangy fruit plays really well with the definite but still held in content funk. It's got a slight barnyard funk with a little yeast and dryness, but nothing overpowering. The slight sour/tart fruit flavors just dance so nicely on the tongue. A little citrus, touch of lemon and I think pink grapefruit, as well as that definite chardonnay wine, which also comes with some oak flavors. I've never had Roos, but from what I've tasted before this is the epitome of what a sour/wild/gueze should be.

M: Lighter body with decent carbonation.

F: It finishes strong but light at the same time, almost like a shell of itself. The nice wild funk flavors slowly fade off the tongue and leave behind the really nice sour tart fruit flavors, but less tart at this point. The dryness that comes with it really makes your mouth water and beg for more. WIth each sip I want the next sip more and more, until alas, I'm staring at my last sip (which was about 10 minutes of staring). Nothing bad on the finish, it finishes basically perfectly.

I really have to thank Chris again for this beer, it was just so amazing, lived up to all the hype. Best sour I have ever had by far. All the people in my party (two of us beer enthusiasts and two non typical beer drinkers) all love this thing to death. If only I could get a good supply of this beer, life would be perfect!

3.52/5  rDev -24.1%

750ml corked and capped bottle poured into an acbf sampling glass, 2003 vintage.

Pours a very light cloudy almost whit color. Nose is all kinds of funk and tart that just kills your sense of smelll.

Taste is all wet blanket and old funk, pretty similar to the oude gueze but still pretty drinkable given the harsh and tart finish.

4.25/5  rDev -8.4%

The Great Lambic Summit

Pours a mysteriously dark (for a geuze) copery gold color with hige poof of minature white bubbles. The glass is sheeted with lace after each sip. Scent is a wonderful blend of many subduded notes such as barnyard, earth, chalk, horse, musty oak, slight metallic tones even some fruit. Taste is more aggressive than many geuzes i have had, bold flavors from many complex notes including big musty wood flavors, balanced tartness, earth and clay, hints of tart cherry as well. Lighter side of medium bodied, highly active carbonation, light chalkyness, wonderfully dry. A treat that i would not even have put on my radar due to its rarity.

4.97/5  rDev +7.1%

Graduation Sour tasting- Huge thanks to rhinos00, pecorasc, and beace for making this epic whale sour tasting happen. This was the first bottle opened. Split 4 ways. Reviewed from notes.

A: Huge white rocky head. Ours a nice golden yellow color. Head dissipates slowly.

S: I pick up a spicy aroma. Wrote down that it smelled almost like artificial grape flavoring. Some wood too.

T: Wow. Very complex sour. Not overpowering sour. There is a nice citrus/lime flavor. Super delicate. Little peppery and woody with some brett coming through. Really enjoyed this one.

M: Nicely carbonated and good medium body. Nice tingle on the tongue.

D: This beer went down way too easy. I wish I would have had a whole bottle for myself. This was my favorite sour of the tasting, and there were some other whales at the party. Just an incredible beer. Very lucky to have tried this.

4.52/5  rDev -2.6%

Ditmier opened this whale a while back... Eric... Thanks, but my appreciation knows no bounds on this one.

Pours hazy yellow... big eggshell head dies back leaving traces of lace.

Nose is lemony and chock full of dank brett aromas... much more lactic than acetic... honestly, no vinegar is noticeable... dusty funk... My nose is not ready/trained enough for this one.

Flavor is like a punch in the palate... tons of sour and funky stuff going on, yet is very elegant throughout... the barnyard plays a bigger role than on the nose.. dirty earthy funk sorta move quickly into a lemony blast... vinous... hints of other fruit (skins) ... tannic apricot and green apple skins.. tart and musty all at the same time on the long lingering finish...

Good carbonation on the tongue but looks sorta flat in the glass... drys out the mouth with every sip... yet every sip makes me want more... Wonderful.

I am amazed that I had the rare opportunity to try this one.... and try and enjoy it numerous times.... Thanks again to one of the best BA's out there.

4/4.5/4.5/4/5

4.88/5  rDev +5.2%

Thanks to koopa for supplying us with this beer. First beer opened for the second part of our sour graduation tasting. Poured from a 750 mL bottle into four tulip glasses.

A- Pours a golden, hazy amber. Produced three fingers width of white, fluffy head. Dissipated ever so slowly. Semi-thick lacing was left over as the beer was consumed.

S- So complex. So many different aromas going on here, very hard to put it into words. Had a delicate spicy, wood attribute with a bit of brett and horse blanket. Slight lemon / grape aroma in the background.

T- Extremely delicate, but even more complexity is demonstrated here than in the aroma. Horse blanket with a noticeable amount of oak. Transitions into more acidic lemon zest flavor about midway through. The oak has a solid presence in the background all the way through consumption. Finish is a combination of lemon rinds, oak, and brett.

M- Light to medium bodied. The carbonation gave it a fuller, almost creamy feel. Finished semi-dry.

D- Perfect. The beer was never overpowering, just great balance throughout. Could drink this days on end.

Overall, the beauty of this beer was how restrained it was, yet somehow maintained amazing flavor and complexity. Ever detail was noticed and there really was no apparent flaws. Just a flat out great beer.

4.58/5  rDev -1.3%

Served at De Heeren Van Liedekerke, Belgium on 3/21/2010. Bottled September 6, 2003.

A- Poured from the bottle with a billowing white rocky, mousse-like head, which slowly receded with tremendous dollops of white foamy lacing left behind. The body was a hazy golden yellow color, and exhibited some good carbonation. Hands-down the most amazing appearance of any Gueuze I have seen.

S- An amazing nose of pale malt and cracked wheat, perfectly balanced with soft lactic and acetic notes. Nuances reminiscent of lemon meringue throughout and some faint traces of brett.

T- A delicate beer on the palate, and a perfect replicate of the nose- pale malt and cracked wheat in perfect balance with a soft lactic/acetic character. Soft lemon-meringue-like qualities and just a touch of brett. Finishes with a very mild and lingering acidity.

M- A medium body with tremendous amounts of meringue-like carbonation. This is the most peculiar (and wonderful) mouthfeel I've ever gotten from a gueuze. The bubbles seem to massage the tongue like an aerated mousse. Crazy.

D- Umm, yes! This stuff is amazingly drinkable. The price and availability only limit my consumption!

4.92/5  rDev +6%

Generously shared by Chris Quiroga @Wooshop 5.0

limited notes at the end of the night.

Little funk, lots of fruits, vinous. Crisp and refreshing. In the taste you've got the perfect balance of complex funkiness and fruitiness, along w/the tartness. Insane gueze. Best gueze ever? I'm not sure, but one of the best I've had. Makes Duck Duck seem like child's play.

4.17/5  rDev -10.1%

Served at a tasting, side by side, with the J&J Roos. First thing is first. The labels of these beers are great. Oil paintings of a silhouette of a nude female torso profile, its just such a pretty painting. I understand that these beers were originally brewed for the brewer's wedding and the roos was for the wife (naked woman on the label) and the Blau was for the husband (naked man on the label). Great concept.

Beer is yellow and hazy, just like the other one. Head is small bubbles, white to off white.

Aroma is a strong funk and completely sour. More funky than the Roos but still amazing smelling.

There is a lot of citric based sour in this beer. This reminds me a lot of a Cantillon Helena but totally different. Beer is tart and there is a slight sulfur taste really late. Overall this beer is very similar to the Roos, slightly less sour, slightly more funk, and there's some sulfur in the palate. I understand that most people like the Blau over the Roos but I'm the opposite. Both are great but the Roos is slightly better.

I had the chance to enjoy this sublime beer again last weekend. Wow, OMG, wow! Just ridiculously amazing, this beer stood out among a phenomenal list of gueuzes, fruit lambics, and wild ales. I simply can't imagine a beer being any better.

***
Original review: 25 January 2010

Thanks Brad!

Tasted along with the J&J Roos.

A: Gorgeous. Hazy orange. Pretty lacing.

S: Hay, straw, barnyard funk, citrus.

T: Sourness, balanced to perfection. Subtle lemons, grapefruit, a touch of wood. This is a seriously complex beer and a work of art. The beer seeps into your cheeks with a fine warming sensation and the sourness nestles in beautifully. Every aspect of the taste is simply right on the money.

M: Smooth, no bitterness or sharpness. Acidity is spot on. Lasting finish. Perfect carbonation.

D: Goes down so easy. I could drink this all night. I hope I get to try this again someday.

4.78/5  rDev +3%

Huge thanks to Chad(cpferris) for getting the hookup so we could have this atbout epic sour tasting.

Pours a very mirky dark golden orange /light copper color with Pours a dark golden orange color with dark hazy ripe banana hues when held to a light source and an insane frothy, pillory white head with the best retention I've ever seen, coating the glass with chunks of soapy lacing.

Very musty funky aroma with lots of horseblanket, barnyard and cobweb. Very subtle dark fruit presence with a lot of lactic creaminess and tart vinous notes. Slight oaky tannis along with some vanilla, vinegar and dark fruit.

Very dry tart sour funky medium body that is amazingly puckering without being acidic. I thought that this would be really harsh and painful in my stomach but it is incredibly drinkable with a lots of crisp lift fruit notes, especially apple and vinous grape as well as a strong vinegary puckering aftertaste that leaves me salivating for more. Subtle lactic creaminess and a nice dark berry presence. I love this damn beer and wish that I could try it again. Highly recommended!

4.58/5  rDev -1.3%

Huge thanks to Chris Lively for sharing this bottle at the Vagabond post release party.
Appears a hazy honey color with light tan head that lasts and lasts. Nice lacing.
Smells of citrus..some earthiness and again lots of citrus. Great nose
Taste is slightly musty, lots of citrus, finishes off super smoothly with out much bitterness.
This beer is super carbonated yet super smooth - very elegant. Light in body.
Overall a wonderful sour beer and feel so fortunate for having the opportunity to try.

4.67/5  rDev +0.6%

Oh yeah I've decided that today is the day I crack open a Blauw for the first time! Long time coming this moment is :)

The bottle is marked 6 - 9 - 2003

Appearance: Pours a hazy caramel coppery orange with a 2 finger off white crown that shows some retention and lots of lace.

Smell: Spritzy lemon over urine soaked hay and musty dirty air. The most musty brew I have smelled to date.

Taste: ~SMILES~ Oh this is divine indeed! Loads of lemon zest with a nuclear explosion worth of cobweb musty goodness. A moderate lactic wave follows as then the finish gets puckeringly tart and dry while the horseblanket wild notes make another appearance and dance with the oak notes! I'd score this one at 4.8 if I could. Heaven has a house drink and it's delicious!

Mouthfeel: Crisp with good carbonation and a dry puckering finish. Nearly perfect for the style.

Drinkability: Highly drinkable for those who enjoy the style.

Thanks for sharing this one, Shane.

This beer gushed forth from the bottle immediately upon uncorking, though we didn't lose any beer or injure anyone in the process of opening it. In the glass it's a cloudy copper color with an enormous head that's fed by massive carbonation. Head retention is outstanding, the beer was topped by a big fluffy white cap of foam for a good 15 minutes.

The aroma is lemony (rotting lemons, specifically) and funky, wet hay and wet dog coming to mind. It's also very woody, musty, mushroom-y.

On the palate it opens with moderate lactic sourness, bitter orange peel and drying oak. Carbonation is high, almost champagne-like. Flavors of lemon rind, quince and green grape come out mid-palate. The sourness is nicely balanced by the wood, with a long tannic and drying finish.

I've had this beer on many occasions and next to some other world-class lambic, and it's consistently a favorite of mine. Possibly the best gueuze out there.

Geuze Cuvée J&J (Joost En Jessie) Blauw (Blue) from Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen