Drie Fonteinen Hommage | Brouwerij 3 Fonteinen

Drie Fonteinen HommageDrie Fonteinen Hommage

Brouwerij 3 Fonteinen
3fonteinen.be

Style: Lambic - Fruit

A blend of lambic beers brewed at 3 Fonteinen, with an addition of 30% whole fresh raspberries from the fabled Payottenland and 5% sour cherries. This unfiltered beer will enjoy a spontaneous refermentation in the bottle. No artificial colors or flavor enhancers are added. Lambic is brewed only from 60% barley malt, 40% unmalted wheat, hops and water.

In commemoration of the late Gaston Debelder, founder of the 3 Fonteinen blendings

Batch 1 - 2007

Liked:
4.5/5
Alströms:

2.01/5  rDev -55.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 1.5

This is the most disappointing beer I've ever had. It was rancid in smell, pure band aid rot in taste and over all just a complete gross beer that was very sadly poured into the drain.

2013 750ml

2.22/5  rDev -50.7%

A friend bought a bottle (Batch 2) for us to split because of all the great things that we had read about it. Wow was i disappointed with this beer from start to finish.

The color was a nice hued red which invites a test fully expecting the raspberries and cherries. I struggled to find any raspberry in the flavor instead i was overwhelmed with a very artificial tasting cherry which left a bad aftertaste. It was syrup taste instead of a fresh bitter cherry flavor and i expected more of a natural flavor, especially for the price point.

I am a fan of Lambic's but nothing about this beer worked for me.

2.5/5  rDev -44.4%

2.66/5  rDev -40.9%

bandaids that's it, bandaids

2.9/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3

I couldn't get through the band-aids (nose & aftertaste). Looks phenomenal and I was super-hyped to try it, but sadly it was a letdown. I'm hoping to get another bottle at some point - it had to be bad luck (or I caught the little microbes at the wrong time).

2.93/5  rDev -34.9%

Shared by fellow lambic enthusiast Weisguy for our small sour tasting. 750ml Valentine’s Day 2007 bottling ♥ Hommage pours medium amber red and not too dark to see through. The smell is crazy! I get very rotten, sweet fruit--especially raspberry--along with funky puke, poop, rhubarb & cheese. The taste definitely connects to the smell, but is much less offensive to me with tons of funky raspberry & hearty fruit. Mouthfeel is light-medium with moderate carbonation. The finish is not very dry, but a bit sweet. Not very close to what I was expecting and in a negative way because it was hard to get passed the smell. I think this may have been an off bottle or improperly stored. Will re-review if I get to try it again.

2.96/5  rDev -34.2%

A: Pours a pinkish red hue with an average sized pinkish white head that quickly disappears.

S: Lots of raspberry, strawberry, wild mild funky notes as well, and a weird sort of rubber smell.

T: There is some raspberry and loads of acid, but there is something wrong with this beer. The taste of burnt rubber dominates. I think something has gone wrong here. ISO another bottle to rerate.

M: Medium in body, a long rubber like after taste.

D: Nope, I really hope this one is infected.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

2013 bottle poured at the Tipples Rare and Barrel Aged Beer Tasting on July 13, 2014. Pours a dark reddish amber color with a creamy white rim of head on top. Aroma is very funky barnyard, hay, dry dusty oak, and bandaids. Uh oh. Flavor follows with big time bandaid flavors--just like my first bad Fantome--some dry oakiness, and a bit of sour cherries in there. No evidence of raspberries whatsoever, unfortunately. Very dry body, medium plus carbonation, and light plus mouthfeel.

Well, this was awfully disappointing. I assume this was a bad bottle. They had 4 of them there, but I only got a pour from one. No way this is what this beer is supposed to taste like. I'll have to revisit this one again if I can ever find it.

3.02/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Not sure if we got an infected bottle but we had a large sour tasting last night and this was by far the worst of the bunch. For lack of a better description, it smelled and tasted like band aids. We have 10 people all agree on the assessment and we ended up drain pouring the remaining.

3.11/5  rDev -30.9%

3.28/5  rDev -27.1%

Dirty dirty bandaids definitely don't care to ever revisit this beer

3.42/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A little too much cough medicine flavor for me.

3.49/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Possibly infected! Band aid And chloraseptic spray!

3.49/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.53/5  rDev -21.6%

Huge thanks to MatSciGuy for breaking this open at a tasting, a brew I didn't think I'd ever see in a glass. Big 750 ML bottle, 2007 vintage.

Cautious small pour taken since lambics are hit-and-miss for me & I don't want to hoard a beer with a rep like this one. Looks like a nice rose wine, nice pop in it. Smell is a bit off-putting, like a hospital hallway with raspberry wallpaper, funk.

Hommage's reputation precedes it, & thankfully the taste leaves St. Joseph's behind. Hard-boiled raspberries & cherries, green apple, complement a sharp tartness; still plastic, but fainter than in the nose. Hair-dryer dry that moves from the inside to my lips, cheeks, & ears. Light, acidic, fruity, nice.

I hate to compare to the Coolship Red we had earlier, but it's inevitable: that brew was on a higher level. This one is good, but doesn't quite get to that top tier. Really glad to try it.

3.55/5  rDev -21.1%