Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze | Brouwerij 3 Fonteinen

Drie Fonteinen Oude GeuzeDrie Fonteinen Oude Geuze

Brouwerij 3 Fonteinen
3fonteinen.be

Style: Gueuze

This listing is for all vintages of the Oude Geuze, but not for bottles specifically labelled "Oude Geuze Vintage".

Added by rastaman on 09-27-2002

Reviews: 726 | Ratings: 2,712
4.58/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pounded light orange with a big bubbly white three finger head that lingers for quite a while. Smell is funky, barnyard, some lemon, earthy. Taste starts with a nice citrus note, sour up front that fades to some slight sweetness, dry, dirty, some apple, some vedgtable notes, oak. This is fantastic, lot of carbonation but still great texture, just the right amount of funk and sourness. I can see why this is a gold standard.

4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically. A 375 ml bottle filled on 10 Dec., 09 with a 10 year best by period.

Appearance: As poured the beer is an actively carbonated almost clear golden color with a ¾” white head that slowly recedes to 1/8” layer of foam but leaving no lacing. Sipping leaves scattered legs and small patches of lacing clinging to the glass. The layer of foam continues to thin but a ring and island of foam persist throughout the entire beer.

Smell: The bottle opens with a satisfying “pop” and the aroma is detectable even before starting the pour. There is lots of damp leather here woven in with strands of tart lemon and a pleasant musty aroma that almost seems to have some traces of green apple but which clearly reveals some time in the oak.

Taste: The flavor includes some tart lemon along with leather and oak, all of which ride along on top of sour green apple blended with some mustiness and slight bitterness. A complex set of flavors here.

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is on the full bodied side of medium and quite smooth, almost creamy, with the gentle and quite persistent carbonation. The finish is long and ends with some dry oak

Drinkability and Overall Impression: This is a pleasure to drink and one sip follows another quite easily as one tries to sort out the complex components of the flavor. Its also quite nice to just pick up the glass and take a sniff or two of the aroma to try and sort it out as well. An appropriate combination of two words to describe this beer is “complex subtlety.” My overall impression of this beer is that this is clearly among the best. I’m certainly glad I’ve already had several other first rate guezes as I don’t think what I have learned from them helps me better appreciate the outstanding qualities of this beer.

4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

Appearance: hazy, light copper orange, big white head of small bubbles with very nice retention and some lacing down the side of the glass.

Smell: Whoa!! One of the strongest smelling beers I’ve ever had. Very sour and musty as I would expect from a Gueze, but very pungent.

Taste: Sour, as the one could expect from the aroma, but surprisingly refreshing flavor nonetheless. Light, crisp notes of citrus and melon with a touch of bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and smooth, very crisp.

Drinkability: The sourness took me longer to get over in comparison with out Gueze I have had, but afterwards was very easy to drink.

Overall, a very pungent but surprisingly refreshing beer that I wish I had some more of!

375ml bottle

Pours with a cloudy lemony body with amber hints. Off white fluffy head with good retention, fizzy body

Smell, strong citrus, grapefruit, whiff of yeast. Few slight esters far in the background, acid farmyard funk also

Taste, strong grapefruit flavour, lasting mixed citrus twang, little bit of malt floating around too. Lasting citrus and old blankets

An amazing gueuze, probably the best i've had to date. A truly epic mother of a beer

4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

A: Pours a nice golden/orange color with several fingers of fluffy white head and fluffy lacing.

S: A good dose of sour funkiness, vinegar, and sour grapes. Perhaps a little leather too.

T: Really great. Light fruit flavors of apple, white grapes and lemon up front, with some notes of white wine to boot. This transitions into some much more earthy flavors, leather, funk. Only a mild sourness in the finish. Mouth puckering by no means, but very refreshing and drinkable.

M: Medium bodied with subtle carbonation and a dry finish.

O: I'm relatively new to drinking Gueuzes, but I enjoyed this immensely. Plenty of sourness in the flavor, but not overly so. Lots of good balance and surprisingly refreshing. Definitely lives up to the hype.

4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

Appearance: Foggy Orange and amber. Pours a 2 finger head that dissipates quickly and leaves a thin head remaining. Carbonation is present and the appearance is close to a champagne.

Smell: Tart. Apples and pears. Some oak notes work their way through the tartness. Not as balanced as could be (very tart) but still a great nose.

Taste: The first sip is much more sour than I would have thought/expected. Lots of apple notes, some pears. The carbonation is quite pleasant and moves the flavors around. With some oxidation, it really levels out and the more subtle tastes of fig, oak and grass come out.

Mouthfeel: Great carbonation. It really adds a nice touch. The beer is thin but it spreads nicely.

Overal: I really enjoyed this beer. The taste is really tart from the get go but it levels off nicely. The carbonation is spot on.

4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

This was purchased at Downtown Wine & Spirits last week. I chilled it and served it in my New Belgium glass. The bottle said it was bottled on 28 February 2004.

Appearance: Pours a lightly hazy, deep golden-orange. It's topped by a thick, fluffy, effervescent, beige head that thins to a persistent quarter-inch layer that's lent an orange tint from the beer below. This beer coats the glass in patchy lace.

Smell: There are fruity notes of sour apples; a dry, acidic tartness; and funky undertones that become stronger upon swirling.

Taste: Tart and acidic upfront, withe definite flavors of sour apples. The acidic tartness is maintained through to the finish, which is dryly acidic with funky and woody flavors. There's a subtle underlying sweetness throughout.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied, with fizzy carbonation and a very nice dry finish.

Drinkability: The sourness is present, but is never overpowering. The dry finish is quite refreshing.

Overall: An excellent Gueuze. It's sour and funky but has a nice underlying sweetness.

4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

750ml, unlabeled bottles of the 1997 and 2001 vintages, enjoyed in 3F Geuze glasses at the 3F restaurant in Beersel on 3 June 2011. When the scores of the different vintages were different, I averaged them (but rounded up when the the average wound up evenly between scores).

1997
A: Brilliant, only lightly hazed orange body under an airy inch of off-white head. Great retention for a Geuze, as it settles into a persistent cap. No lace, but that's to be expected. Stunning. I initially gave this a 5, but the 2001 that followed was distinctly prettier. 4.5

S: Funky as all hell, but also deep and somehow delicate. Profoundly earthy, with dirt and lemon being the two most prominent aromas. Lightly floral, with mushroom, barnyard, and bread round things out. Lovely. 4.5

T: Sour citrus is up front, followed by pleasant malt sweetness, and finished with a wave of intense funky earth, cheese, basement must, and moss. Smooth. 4.5

M: Soft medium body, pleasantly light carbonation. Nice, but a bit more life would have been a better complement to the acidity. 4.0

O: This was my first beer in Belgium, and it couldn't have been more amazing. I got to share it with a couple great California BA's that happened to be at the restaurant at the same time (Cheers to DaveJanssen and hobojon!), and this ridiculously old Geuze was also ridiculously delicious. I couldn't get over the depth of its earthy, cheesy, musty funk, nor the way that this funk melded perfectly with fruity acidity. This was simply a delicious beer, and one that I feel privileged to have enjoyed. 5.0

2001
A: Hazier and deeper orange than the 97. Gigantic, rocky, pillowy head. Great retention and even some chunky lace. Fantastically gorgeous Geuze. 5.0

S: A bit more acidic, with green apple and lemon on top of the same deeply earthy funk. Not quite as complex as its older sibling, since the sourness overwhelms a bit of the crazy funk. 4.0

T: Sharp acidity up front, which transitions beautifully into earthy funk. Not as much complexity, but I love the brighter fruity tartness. Long, clean, dry, almost metallic finish. Terrific. 4.5

M: Surprisingly it's a bit fuller than the 1997, despite being noticeably less sweet. Similarly light carbonation. 4.0

O: If you had described the 97 and 01 to me ahead of time, I would have expected to enjoy the more sour, aggressive 01 more. Having had them both side by side, I absolutely preferred the richly complex, richly bizarre funkiness exemplified so beautifully in the 97. Both were amazing beers, but the 01 just didn't have quite as much individuality and depth. Maybe in a few years... 4.5

I'll add reviews for any more vintages I'm lucky enough to enjoy. When it comes to straight Geuze, 3F has officially surpassed Cantillon and Girardin as my new favorite.

Cheers!

EDIT: I was lucky enough to go on a second trip to Belgium, and got to drink the 1999 vintage of this beer. While I didn't take detailed notes, I just want to point out that it was right up there with Lente for the best Geuze I've ever had in my life. It was almost tragically close to perfection, and since I drank it at Bier Circus I don't have to worry about the romance of the brewery setting having possibly clouded my judgement. I'll keep hunting down new vintages of this beer, but I really can't imagine that any of them will come close to the '99. Here's hoping my imagination is just a little bit too limited...

4.59/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours a golden hay color. Ok head. Not alot of lacing.

Very funky aroma. Tons of horse blanket and barn yard smells. Little bit of lager type aroma. Smells awesome.

Taste is great. What a Geuze should taste like. Lots of funk. Tons of lemony tartness. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel is super dry like the style calls for. Nice high thin bubble carb.

Overall one of the best Geuze's out there. Get it if you want a perfect example of what it is suppose to be like.

It was sooo sour.
(that's what she said) :o

The cork pops & the smoke rises. Do I let it breathe, plug it & let it sit, chug it, cook it dinner, what do I do?!?! My dog sees my face frozen in confusion & immediately snaps me out of it with a piercing yelp. I stumble around & find my dusty tulip, give it a strong rinse, & proceed to pour.

A hazy lemon orange honey pour settles in my glass & grows a rather porous white comb-over of head. The foam thickens up on subsequent pours, but we're on to more important things. The smell has already reached me, so I gain focus & get let a little closer.

A sense of something pickled, sharp kiwis & tangy cantaloupe, something between semi-ripe watermelon & sour cherry candy(a fresh bag of sour skittles?), plenty of salt, something like stale garlic, along with some dry grass & ethanol way in the background. It's so pungent. Why am I not offended?

I go to take a sip & it just rushes in. I don't know what came over me. It must of been instinctive, I just gulped down six ounces like it was an everyday thing. ...and it should be. :D

Lemon juice, the sour sugar that Sour Patch Kids are dredged in, the white meat off half-ripe strawberries, grapefruit, citric acid is everywhere & its bitterness lingers for a long while, turning a little barky at the end. Just the faintest hint of dough in there somewhere. Why bother? :P

As it warms, the sourness flatlines some & turns a little wheaty. Letting the bottle last that long was a mistake on my part. Drink, drink!

Thin & frothy, a lightly greased taste, but it leaves a dry feeling once it goes down(like I just licked a bunch of envelopes). My tongue is getting numb, am I going to die?

Straddling the line of spoiled orange juice & yesterday's digestive juices, who can honestly say this is exactly what was intended so many years ago. Purple monkey dishwasher?

Hand me a blank check & this replaces the juice in the fridge. The only reason I can't give it a 5 here is price.

bottling date: 2/19/04

Thank you kmpitz2 for blessing me with this little midnight snack. :)

4.59/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle dated Dec 5th 2012. Always a favorite of mine.

A: Hazy and glowing burnt orange body topped with a massive pillowy head that occupies about 2/3 of the glass on a gentle pour. Highly effervescent.

S: Bright, acidic lemon and green apple, rounded out with white wine skins. Musty cheese and barnyard notes emerge further as it warms. Wonderful aroma.

T: Complex mix of tart lemon juice and white wine followed by a sweeter note of fruit and a touch of floral honey. Notes of musty oak and pleasant minerality close out the flavor. Not overpowering in any regard but has remarkable depth of flavor. Ridiculously succulent and drinkable.

M: Light bodied and highly carbonated. Very fine bubbles reminiscent of champagne pair well with a very dry finish.

O: Just a fantastic Gueuze. Literally a benchmark of the style and it shows. Beautifully complex aroma and flavor, and each sip literally leaves your mouth watering and craving more. Could drink this every single day without any issue.

4.59/5  rDev +5.8%

Received this in a trade from bosse. 375ml. 12-02-2003 Vintage. This one is 6 years old today!

A: Murky amber in color with a cream colored head, about half an inch that recedes to a cap with a few islands. Excellent lacing. Very nice looking beer.

S: Not for the faint of heart here, wow funk, nasty dirty horse blanket, barnyard, lemons, smells insanely sour. Has notes of hydrocarbons (think condensate of a natural gas well), quite medicinal, notes of pipe tobacco. This is what a geuze should smell like. Perfection.

T: Quite tart, but not as tart as the nose leads on, sour lemons, and funk, where the sour may lack a little, but the funkiness is right there, and I like that. Leaves a few notes of fresh bananas. Fairly bitter as well, hop profile is spicy and strong, but not overbearing. The balance here is exceptional between sour and bitter. Notes of wood and citrus fruits. Incredibly deep. My favorite geuze to date.

M: Light body, medium carbonation, and incredibly dry, tons of lactic acidity in this too, my spit is thick. Just a hint of warmth from alcohol.

D: I don't think this beer could possibly be any easier to drink, excellent flavors, dry, light bodied and incredibly complex, but not overbearing to the point of ruining the drinking experience. This is a beer that I could enjoy almost any time of year. Very special. Highly recommended!

Thanks Bo!

4.59/5  rDev +5.8%

As I got to the last turn of the cork cage the cork just popped off straight up into my hand - I knew I had something good going. Poured into a snifter.

A - Only slightly cloudy golden yellow color with some depth. The head was large white and produce tons of lace.

S - Incredible smell. Awesome funky barnyard sents that make the back of your mouth pucker a little. The fruits in the air were clear and smooth with some acitic notes. I could smell it all day.

T & M & D - Super funky sour awesome right off the bat. That is when it becomes amazing is the sweet fruits and sugars that come in and smooth out the sour and make the middle of the palate incredibly enjoyable and complex. Then on the back end instread of going dry and stale and sour the cool oakiness comes in and sooths the aftertaste - thus making it a great experience the entire way through. I have trouble with some guezes when they finish too dry and make you want to drink some water but this one just makes you want to take another sip. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with light carbination and very easy on the palate considering the style, making it drinkable as well.

O - One of the best Geuzes I have had hands down, I don't think much more needs to be said. Get one.

-Cheers

4.59/5  rDev +5.8%

Bottled on November 18, 2010; Good for up to ten years after bottling.

Amazingly, I've never actually tried this one until now.

Literally, I took the cage off and the cork popped without any effort whatsoever.

A: Fairly clear orange, with a slight haze and thick bubbles for a head.... basically a bubble formation as opposed to a head. I got some carbonation visably.

S: VERY potent wild yeast and oak.... Jeez this bastard was funky! Quite a bit of pepper and balsamic vinegar on the nose as well, all rolled up into a nice ensemble.

T: A bit of smoky dryness on the front end gave this one a very distinct character, making it very memorable. The kerosene won out over the wild yeast by a hair. Once again, bone-suckingly dry!

M: Spritzy carbonation and then some. Not sweet in the slightest, not much on the lacing front, and oaky.

O: I think this would be a great "early stage" brew when turning newbie craft beer peeps onto sours. Not too sour, just delicious.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Making my way gradually through the highly regarded gueuze lineup. Just picked up a 375ml bottle of the Drie Fonteinen, and I have to say that it may be my favorite thus far.

Appearance- Pours a hazy straw color out of the bottle with about three fingers of very puffy white head and lots of active carbonation in the body. Amazing head retention, with it very slowly dying back to about a half finger sheet across the top of the beer. Lots of thick lacing left as I drank as well. Very nice looking and active for a gueuze.

Smell- Smells of tart citrus lemon zest up front. This lactic tartness is the first and most noticeable of the smells, but mixed in is a mild dose of funk. Some barnyard and acrid leather as well. Some mild cereal graininess coming through as well.

Taste- Again, starts off with a nice, crisp citric tartness. However, unlike in the smell, the palate is not dominated by the tartness but is much more subtle. The tart lemon flavors are balanced perfectly with mild and well integrated funky barnyard character. Finishes long and dry with a touch of grain. The finish in fact is stellar and really complements the thirst quenching quality of this gueuze. Very refreshing.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is great for a gueuze with excellent carbonation and in no way too thin for the style. Drinkability is outstanding given the exceptional finish of the beer and subtle, complex, and well integrated flavors.

Overall, a truly great example of the style. This beer has all the elements of a true gueuze and is exceptional for its subtle complexity. I loved this beer and will certainly be picking up more of it.

4.6/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on 12/5/12
Consumed @ Monks Cafe

A- pours a slightly hazy golden straw color with a big foamy white head that retains nicely long after the pour, leaving some bubbles around the rim

S- nice barnyard funk with notes of wet hay, Lemon peel, basement must, toasted oak

T- sharp and tart notes of lemon peel, peach mix with a funky musty yeasty goodness, earthy tones mix with wet hay and lead to a dry puckering finish, packed with flavor

M- medium body with light carbonation lead to a big foamy mouthfeel with a dry puckering finish

O- one of the best Gueuze that I've had, it's packed with puckering flavor and keeps you wanting more

750ml corked/caged bottle dated 02 february 2007

appearance: hazy, honey colored. medium head faded away after a minute or two minimal lacing.

smell: irony, metallic, earthy, organic, woody, crisp, acidic, green apples and pears

taste: beautifully tart but not overpowering. very complex. funky, earthy notes, sour, dry, crisp.

mouthfeel: champagnesque carbonation, crisp, leaves your mouth cleansed and refreshed

drinkability: if u love this style, u can drink this beer all night.

Bottle from 2008

A: The cork almost popped out of the bottle as soon as I loosened the cage. The pour is a light orange color with a massive, pillowy white head that sticks around forever.

S: Tons of bright acidity and a wonderful "greenness" to the beer. Lots of lemon, green apple, grapes, grass, and wet hay.

T: This one picks up where the nose leaves off. Lemon and green apple sourness are intense up front and an earthy funk and oak tannin quality on the back end.

M: The body is medium with a lot of carbonation. A nice dry and crisp finish.

D: It's too bad these guys won't be brewing anymore, but I'm glad they'll still be blending and giving us some great gueuzes.

750 ml bottle dated 1/17/06

A - Hazy straw yellowish orange with a thin white bubbly head that disappears to a ring of lace.

S - Hay, earth, tart lemons, some farm characteristics mixed in.

T - Tart with a slight sugary lemonade touch. Some grain and hay in the background with a grape taste present throughout. More complex than I am doing it justice in this review.

M - Medium body with bubbly carbonation that is crisp on the tongue with a dry tart finish.

D - Highly drinkable for all the tartness going on. I will need to try an older vintage and see what time does to it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Goulden pour with a medium white head that fades down to a tiny ring. A very lively pour with plenty of active carbonation.

Smell: A very tart sour lemon and lime nose. Grassy and natural.

Taste: Extremely tart. Huge lemon zing up front followed by a lime sour/bitterness and grassy/earthy notes.

Mouthfell: Light and digestable. Great acidity and lively throughout.

Drinkability: World class beer. An outstanding example of a gueze. Simply one of the BEST BEERS i've EVER HAD.

4.62/5  rDev +6.5%

750 ml bottle, 6% abv. Bottled 4/26/10. Pours a clear, old gold color. White fizzy head disappears quickly, but leaves a thing ring for a few minutes. Some fine bubbles rising to the top.

Funky, barnyard aroma leaps out of the glass. A classic earthy, sour, leathery nose.

Not a great deal of sweetness, dry hay comes to mind. Tart, but stays away from being puckering. A slight fruity, green apple feel gives way to earthy, funky notes. Finishes dry.

Light body, refreshing carbonation. Very easy to drink. A great beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle date of November 2010.

Pours surprisingly quite clear golden with a large fluffy white head. Super active carbonation. The head sticks around and leaves sticky lacing.

Smell is quite amazing. Barnyard, sour, acidic, wet grass, cheesy aged hops, oak, and quite a lot more than I could pin point. There's a hint of malt/wheat sweetness, but I can tell it's going to be a bone dry beer.

The taste begins with an acidic bite that is rounded off with a mellow woody smoothness. Grassy funk and a slight bitterness. Overripe fruit and oak.

Prickly carbonation with a dry but smooth finish. The acidity clings to the side of the mouth. The carbonation makes it surprisingly refreshing.

An excellent geuze. I would probably like it even more with age, but not even a year in the bottle, and there's tons of complexity.

4.62/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Sampled from a 750ml bottle I picked up in Belgium.

A - Golden with a strong haze and a dusting of head.

S - Fantastic funk and tart! A nice contrast between the two. Hints of orange and lemon.

T - Wonderfully tart but balanced well by a complex funk. Great depth to this beer yet everything comes together nicely. The tartness seems to grow as the beer warms.

M - A somewhat fine consistency with a low carbonation.

O - Wow! A nice bite yet very refined. Can wait to get more of this.

4.62/5  rDev +6.5%

375ml bottle to myself. I'd had this once before but did not get the chance to review it properly. Cork blasted out amidst aromas of sweaty funk. Poured into a Matilda goblet. Color is that gueuze-y off-gold. Fizzy foam that maintains itself well.

Varied, funky aroma that you'd expect. Soured apples, rotting oak, sweaty underarm, field of weeds in the morning, rotting forest-floor leaves. You don't even have to taste it to know there are no compromises here.

First sip is almost shockingly sour, but as always the palate acclimates quickly. On the surface, this comes off as a particularly acidic, dry Champagne. Bubbly with tart white grape and apple flavors - but then Brettanomyces kicks in...there's a lot of cellar-y Brett character here to go along with the high acidity.

Mouthfeel is lively and active.

This is a very potent gueuze with a lot of flavor, and so acidic that it's burning a little as it goes down, so it's slowing me down more than with some other gueuzes. I could down a whole 750ml myself with some effort, but the 375ml is perfect for one.

Among the cream of the crop when talking gueuze, this deserves its high rating.

Bottle dated Dec 12 2009

A - Pours medium gold. Fluffy off white head tops out at just over half inch and sticks around for a very long time. Lacing is surprisingly average. Lots of active carbonation present giving it a champagne like glimmer.

S - Young green apple and lemon on the front end. Kind of a spicy white pepper and oak show strong in the middle which works well for me. Finishes up with hints of horse stall, horseradish, and a touch of peach.

T - Very citrus laden in the flavor. Lemon mostly followed by pink grapefruit and apple. Also very earthy in the flavor. Oak, leather, hay come to mind. Light sweetness towards the end with some malt and yeast. Alcohol is not present in the slightest.

M - Lighter bodied with a very active carbonation level which works well for this particular beverage. Finish is dry and sour.

O - Been looking forward to trying this one for a while and it didn't disappoint. Seems like every aspect of this beer is near perfect. The folks at Fonteinen and convinced me to make the effort to seek out others in their line up. Highly recommended.

Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze from Brouwerij 3 Fonteinen