Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze | Brouwerij 3 Fonteinen

Drie Fonteinen Oude GeuzeDrie Fonteinen Oude Geuze

Brouwerij 3 Fonteinen
3fonteinen.be

Style: Gueuze

This listing is for all vintages of the Oude Geuze, but not for bottles specifically labelled "Oude Geuze Vintage".

Added by rastaman on 09-27-2002

Ratings: 2,737 |  Reviews: 732

On the 12th of December 2010, I happened to stumble upon a bottle of the 1999 Oude Gueuze, probably my top want since I got to try it at the Lambic Summit in Phily. Sharing it with a close friend, reminiscing over what we were doing when this beer was bottled and spending a couple of hours nursing my lions share, I was convinced that this was the best gueuze I'd ever had. More detailed notes from the Summit are below, but briefly, the blend of soft lemons, mellow tannins and a light floral character make this beer unique. Better than Blauw, better than the 02 Vintage Oude Gueuze, better than the 2001 bottling of the Cantillon Classic, this is exceptional.

** June 10, 2010**
Served out of a bottle at The Great Lambic Summit. Armand talked about this beer and how the plan was to make a beer distinct from the regular gueuze. A blend of Boon, Lindeman's and Girardin lambics, this beer pours a mildly hazy orange with a dense white head with decent retention and some lacing. The nose is outstanding. Beautiful citrus and oak tannin character, this is deep, rich and nuanced. Moderately cheesy, this has aged very gracefully. No acetic character. Lemons, orange and a Roquefort-like funk, along with a forest floor, woody aroma. Great balance.

The palate opens with a dank funk, forest floor, mildly reminding me of dried mushrooms. Juicy lemons with a moderate acidic character. Oak is present, mild vanilla and a beautiful tannin character providing a gentle but strong backbone. Beautiful stuff. This is an absolutely exceptional blend. The finish is rather unreal, there's a lingering lemon and tannin character. Beautifully integrated. There's a softness and suppleness that's present that I can't find in the J&J Blauw. I feel lucky to have tried this, the clean sourness lacking in acetic character is a beautiful thing.

Side by side with the Blauw, this isn't as dank and less forest floor like, less tannic and less lemony. People who loved the Blauw preferred it for exactly this reason.
**Reviewed on: 08-17-2009 04:40:52**
4.5/4.5/4.5/4.5/4.5
Having spent more than I care to admit to acquire a bottle of Hommage, I figured it would be best to get a feel for Drie Fonteinen's house character before I jump into what is one of their highest regarded beers. I grabbed this at State Line today, this batch was bottled 1st Feb 2008

A: No sooner than I pop the cage does the cork fly off, causing a minor spill. Luckily, I have my RR tulip handy, and that glass is filled with a gorgeous, golden copper-colored brew with fantastic amounts of carbonation, atop which sits a white head with good retention and attractive lacework. Good stuff

S: Plenty of sourness here. There's a lot of lemon rind character, a bracing acidity. Funk is present and prominent, with a sharpness that reminds me in ways of the 1984 Eylenbosch Gueuze I had recently, grassy and grainy with some barnyard characted I get a little white pepper and an astringency that I can't quite describe. I can only go as far as say it's neither hop nor oak. There is also a mild amount of vanilla and sweetness, citrus in character, that is apparent. There really is an awful depth to this beer. In between the citrus, oak, funk and mild lactic character, this beer is great

T: Opening up with a solid dose of lemon peel and lactic sourness, this gueuze is excellent. Big, juicy lemons, with a beautiful sweetness that's got a lot of citrus, honey and vanilla. Funk is secondary to the sourness here, with the dominating character being barnyard and some tart granny smith apples. Overall, this is one juicy, succulent gueuze, one that's a treat. In some ways, I see this as a bracing, raw fruit, one that time will mellow out and "ripen", bringing to the forefront the more fruity characteristics of the bugs. Finishes dry, sour, lemony and with a mild sweetness, this is excellent.

M: While retaining a light airy character, this beer has sufficient heft mid-palate to deserve an extra nod. High carbonation enhances just about everything good about this beer, and the finish is tremendous. The sourness is high, but biting acidity is reserved, making for a very enjoyable gueuze.

D: This was supposed to be consumed while working on an essay, but it's taken me the duration of the bottle to review. Oh well. Well done, Armand!

Notes: While this is my first exposure to this beer, the things that strike me about it are that in contrast with Cantillon, this has a lot more latent tropical fruit character, a mellower acidity, and a sharpness in flavor that reminds me of Hanssens.
**Edit: 21 April 2010
Side by side, the Doesjel is woodier, less grassy, less bright citrus, less sweet/floral character. Both are excellent beers, but I have to tip my hat to the Oude Gueuze.
** edit 19 July 2015**
Bottled Nov 2005.
Gaining a juicy, oxidized honey like fruitiness, citrus rinds, earth, mushroom, damp basement, gorgeous funk, melons. Juicy, funky palate with preserved lemons, honey, floral funk, soft palate.

Well, we finally opened the 2004 Oude Geuze; opened along side it a 2009, a greatly different beer. The carbonation with the 2004 was slightly higher but not overwhelming so, and as you can see in the photos below the blend of three lambics in 2004 produced a very different looking beer from the 2009 blend. Clear and light head on the 2009 and a slightly dirty and light one on the 2004. Taste differed wildly between the two.
Farmy-fruity sour smells were noticed first with these beers. Immediately after came the heavy, odd, woody and goaty-blanket smell from the 2004 - the 2009 had mild pleasant hay notes.

For taste, Immediately an astringent yet smoothly lingering ( hot oak, an almost smoked flavor) quickly mellowed out with temperature increase and aeration in the 2004. Sourness and fruitiness (apricot for the 2009) increased as well for both blends as they warmed with the 2004 holding the best dry sourness I've had yet.

As expected, the 2009 started with a young and crisp taste with pleasant vinegary sharpness, a taste that also dissipated over the course of an hour - and with a mixed sour palate.

Minimal sediment in the 2009 was staying at one corner of the bottom of the bottle. The 2004 had a significant amount of loose sediment that made it into the glass - didn't have a proper pitcher to filter it out - but I did end up drinking the warm dregs like a hounding hobo kitten lickin' at an empty-stinky cream dish acrosst' kitchen floor.

Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze from Brouwerij 3 Fonteinen