Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze | Brouwerij 3 Fonteinen

Drie Fonteinen Oude GeuzeDrie Fonteinen Oude Geuze

Brouwerij 3 Fonteinen
3fonteinen.be

Style: Gueuze

This listing is for all vintages of the Oude Geuze, but not for bottles specifically labelled "Oude Geuze Vintage".

Added by rastaman on 09-27-2002

#245

View: Beers
Ratings: 2,821 |  Reviews: 744
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

** Feb 2008 bottled on date, 375ml **

It's Christmas Eve in these parts, and so I naturally reached for two of my favorite edibles for a festive lunch alone: clam chowder (Whole Foods), a crusty grain baguette, and a geuze that has been patiently sitting in my cellar (read: garage) for a while.

Poured all at once into my Tripel Karmeliet big glass. A huge 4 finger head erupts, sporting large, rocky bubbles and sticks around for a long while, leaving lace. The geuze is an effervescent old gold and clear (having left the sediment in the bottle).

Heavens. This smells gobsmackingly, achingly tremendous. Armand has got inside my head and pulled out what I think is the most perfect, balanced geuze smell possible. Massive apple-cider sharpness, wonderful, disgustingly juicy funk, lemon-tart, hearty oak, pungent, hints of must and dust, acidic, warning, cleansing, vinegar, the famed "horse blanket" nose... it's all here, and it's all balanced. There are sharper, more pungent and more strident geuze noses out there. There are none that work so well.

Flavor is again a masterwork of complimentary classic flavors that are actually blended. The art of geuze is really the art of blending, and this Drie Fonteinen is supremely balanced. Dancing flavors of lemon and tart Brett-funk skip across the palate, hand in hand. Wild yeast funk and a grin-tugging, moderately aggressive acidity dash at you and then peel off to the side, giggling. The oak dryness just stands there, stalwart. Nothing is out of place. This is a fun, joyful beer that never gets too bracing or tiresome.

The carbonation here is again, expert. Fizzy and full bubbles deliver the goods straight to your senses and the finish is clean and long, letting you down gently through fields of lemon trees and filthy horses. The acidity is perfect, by gum. This is why we drink wild ales.

I love this beer. I love how classy it all is, how well crafted it is put together. Moreover, I love that I can buy it 5 minutes away from my house. God bless Drie Fonteinen! May your funk live forever!

I am in funky bliss. Gueze and chowder may well turn into a minor tradition around my home. Merry Christmas.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One word: dirty.

Authentic, old-school dirty blond colored brew eminates a barnyard funk that mostly reminds me of an old dish rag or a bucket of water used 2 days ago to clean the floor of a kitchen. Uniquely subtle but not subdued. Mouth-watering, to say the least.

An earthier lambic than many, this gueuze has a special apples-rotting-on-the-pavement sort of tartness. A bit bitter through the finish, lemon makes a strong appearance here in all its forms -- mild lemon acidity and flavor early on and very slight citric and plant bitterness at the end. Either I'm getting better at plucking nuance out of a potent style, or this simply has a lot of unique, subtle characteristics. I'm guessing the latter.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Beautiful, crystal clear pale straw. Half an inch of head dissipates quickly with little lacing on the glass. Medium carbonation maintained throughout the pour.

S - Citrus (esp. lemon), soft leather, barn-yard funk, and just a bit of sulfur behind.

T - Sourness first, followed by large citrus component with lemon foremost. Gorgeous funk rounded out with leathery and slightly tannic finish.

M - Light, crisp.

D - Absolutely flawless.

Overall - No better gueuze available in the US, IMHO. This is my birthday bottle, so I'm happy to say that I don't need to finish this by writing "I could drink a 750," as in fact I will drink a 750. Cheers!

4.7/5  rDev +6.8%

A: Slightly hazy yellow, head quickly fades
S: Sour, apple, oak, funky
T: Tart, less apple than I expected, with some interesting fruits in the finish (I get apricot and white grape), low on the oak but really balanced. Seriously, this is a perfectly balanced beer.
F: Small bubbles, light body

Overall: For a special occasion, this beer is very rewarding. I'd drink this every day with lunch if I were a rich man!

4.69/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 11/18/10 375ml bottle into a Warsteiner flute glass.

A - Gold with quite a bit of head that settled into some lasting lacing. Nothing wrong here.

S - Sour, citrus fruits, acidic. A little bit of grape. Not overly strong.

T - Very sour with some bitter aftertastes. Hints of fruit, especially lemons and apricots. Very acidic. This is a very nice geuze.

M - Very carbonated and acidic, but the taste doesn't linger. Mild lemon rind aftertaste.

This is an excellent beer. I love sours and this is one of the better ones I've had. Thanks again to Douglasjamjak for this awesome extra!

4.69/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured from a corked & caged bottle into a Victory tulip. Bottled on December 12, 2009.

A- pours a very hazy shade of orange with a one finger white head. Looks like...a gueuze.

S- tons of barnyard funk and horse blanket. Love it.

T- the sourness is almost numbing. It's not the tartness you mainly get from wild ales, but it's totally puckering. Just a complete barnyard, musty flavor. Absolutely phenomenal.

M- medium bodied. About what I expected

O- wow, this is fantastic stuff. Aged or not, this is fantastic

4.69/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

4.69/5  rDev +6.6%

Bottled 11/18/2010 and poured into a wine glass.

A: Cork pops before removing the cage (and almost hit me in the face), champagne like carbonation leads to a thick two fingers off white head that lingers as a thick film. Color yellow orange with a nice haze.

S: Smells of oak, champagne-like, funky and sour.

T: Astringent, band-aid, nice sourness that balances the funk nicely, more oak and a wine like sweetness.

M: Medium body and has lost some carbonation but is still prickly.

O: Quite a delicious geuze, one of the best I have had.

4.69/5  rDev +6.6%

12.7 oz bottle, bottling date of 30 nov 2006.

A: Mildly cloudy amber-orange color, with a frothy whitish head that leaves a nice thin layer of bubbles and some splotchy lace.
S: Obviously has a strong sour, funky, dirty smell but also has a very potent slightly sweet, tart grapefruit like smell that provides nice balance to the funkiness.
T: I was just eating some nice, tart winesap apples this afternoon so my first drink of course reminds me of them. Immediately there is a sour apple/grapefruit flavor, but then in the body some more sweetness comes through before finishing very funky and earthy. Nice complex range of flavors and interesting balance of tart, sour and sweet flavors throughout.
M: Amazingly crisp and light in the mouth, with a very high level of carbonation. Despite sour and tartness this very smooth and refreshing.
D: Amazing gueze, I love drinking this, however, there is so much sourness and tart that lingers in the finish and complexity in the body that this is something best enjoyed slowly and on special occasions.

4.69/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.68/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

A: Pours a murky amber color with a frothy bone white head. Nice lacing and appears to be well carbonated. Significantly less attractive than Tilquin if I'm going to create a comparison. Nothing here gets my motor running. Dirty pond water thing going on.

S: Then I smell the beer. Big oak nose with bright accents of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice. Motza bread. Musty. Floral notes of C Howard's violet chewing gum. Powdery and floral. The amount of oak and freshly ground black pepper that emerges as this beer warms is amazing. I've never smelled anything quite like it. I can't keep my nose out of the glass.

T: Broad flavor profile ranging from moderately acidic vinegar, to citrus notes of sweet grapefruit and tart lemon juice, followed by earthy notes of walnut and woody oak noted. By far the most complex geueze I've had as it ranges across so many different flavors. Absolutely delightful.

F: Well carbonated and relatively thin.

O: What can I say? I wish this bottle never ended. So much depth of flavor and nose going on.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Served in a tulip glass. Poured a little faster than I should have. Relatively fresh.

A: Opaque light copper, almost peach color. About a finger of head that very quickly retreats to no film on top, a bit around the rim.

S: Strong sour smell right up front. This is the smell I expect from a top-notch sour/lambic. Yeasty and musty.

T: Sour and tart. No sweetness at all. Medium oak presence. Yeast is present as tartness fades. A little bitter on end.

M: Not jaw-clenching, but getting close. Thin with medium carbonation.

O: THE classic sour beer. This is definately a starting off point for someone who wants to try what a sour should be. I enjoy this beer frequently.

4.68/5  rDev +6.4%

What a presantation for a Geuze. Great and quiet longlasting foam and a beaufull goldenbrown colour. Smell is lots of Brett and beautifully soured. Full of oak and esters make it very complex. Taste is in the beginning litle sour but as soon as my mouth was accepted to that it was a wonderfull and harmonic taste giving you lots of almost everything you want in a beer. Lots of oak and still fresh by the sour and flowery style, nothing of maltcaracter noticeble. Aftertaste is mixture of oak and sournes but fine and begging for another sip. Great beer!

Don't know if I put this revieuw right since the one I sampled had only 5% alcohol. Botlingdate 12-02-2003

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Amazing beer, the most balanced Gueuze I had so far. Sour but less than some I've had. The mustiness is balanced by the great malt presence. The carbonation is almost perfect with Champagne-like bubbles. A world-class brew.

Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze from Brouwerij 3 Fonteinen