Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze | Brouwerij 3 Fonteinen

Drie Fonteinen Oude GeuzeDrie Fonteinen Oude Geuze

Brouwerij 3 Fonteinen
3fonteinen.be

Style: Gueuze

This listing is for all vintages of the Oude Geuze, but not for bottles specifically labelled "Oude Geuze Vintage".

Added by rastaman on 09-27-2002

Ratings: 2,742 |  Reviews: 735
3.25/5  rDev -25.1%

3.27/5  rDev -24.7%

I have never, ever, heard a cork pop as loud as this one did. It actually hurt my ears. Opaque burnt orange body with a striking white head.

So much dirty funk on the nose that it's hard to concentrate on anything else. Overripe and astringent lemon. I'd normally say musty basement, but here it's more like a dungeon. There is something evil here. In a nice way.

The intensity of flavor matches or exceeds Cantillon, though I still prefer the latter, because I very much prefer sour to funk.

Horse blanket and acetic acid are massive here. Very yeasty, with lemon and pineapple floating around. The astringency seems to completely cover and linger on the roof of my mouth... it's not so bad, but the problem is I can imagine it being better integrated. There is a very sharp, and more importantly, pure, vinegar note on the finish that dominates the experience.

The texture of this beer feels nice, but something about it makes it difficult to swallow.

There is too little going on here besides the powerful vinegar taste to really be impressive. There are plenty of Flemish red ales that have an even bigger vinegar burn, but they are balanced by other flavors or sugar. This lambic is naked. What is impressive is that it does manage to be drinkable and interesting.

3.3/5  rDev -24%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

3.32/5  rDev -23.5%

served in a chalice, poured from a bottle. reads: nov. 30, 2005, good for at least ten years from bottling date.

Appearance: poured well, with no head to speak of, just some large bubbles that didn't stick around too long. Color of apple cider. I must say at this point, I'm a little dissapointed, as reviews I've read mention a 1 to 2 finger white head. No head for me, story of my life.

Smell: a sour funkiness that I have come to associate with duchesse de bourgogne. A slight malty sweetness as well. I have a feeling this is going to be good.

Taste: Definately sour. A funky mustiness? A musty funkiness? Either way, tart, and pretty refreshing after the initial shock to my uninitiated taste buds. Almost winelike, or vinous, if you will. There is almost a hint of a apple cider quality as well. A long, dry, tart finish leaves me wanting that next drink, but I must wait a little longer between, to see how it warms up to me. Picking up some floral flavors as it warms up. I have to say at this point, that the taste doesn't really live up to the aroma. It's good, but the smell made me think it would be great.

Mouthfeel: As this is my first foray into this style, I've nothing to compare it to (stylewise), nevertheless, the lack of carbonation makes it seem very, drinkable. Although a bit more may have heightened the taste experience. Almost soft in a way that again reminds me of wine.

drinkability: again, as my first in this style, this is tough. I don't see myself drinking this again in the near future. It isn't that it's bad, only foreign to me in so many ways. I will probably seek out others in the same style, revisiting this one once I have a better handle on the style.

3.32/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

From a bottle, date of April 2010. Enjoyable beer, just not my style. One of the better sours I've had.

3.37/5  rDev -22.4%

The cork came out of the bottle without any pressure. It poured a clear orange color with no head at all. The aroma is dry and sour with hints of sour apples and some barnyard character. The flavor isn't overly sour it is flat though and it makes it very boring to drink. Thin mouthfeel, I would like to try an older version.

3.38/5  rDev -22.1%

Paid $21.99 for a 750ml bottle from Healthy Spirits in San Francisco, CA. Bottling date of 02 February 2007, so this one has aged for about an additional two and half years once it hit the bottle. I pour into a snifter to review.

Very cloudy golden orange in color. Small, fizzy white head that dissipates quickly leaving almost no lace. Seems to be quite carbonated.

Has a bit of a funk aroma from the wild yeast and has taken on some of the oak character from the barrel it was aged in. Vinous qualities as well with hints of white grape and lemon citrus.

Taste is similar to the nose with the tartness of wild yeast / funk being pushed even more to the forefront.

Mouth is dry with a quick finish. Mildly astringent, somewhat similar to some red wines I've tasted. Not as carbonated as I originally suspected. Light to medium bodied.

A complex gueze that was a nice treat. Not sure I'd get this again as it was a bit pricey but would recommend this to anyone that enjoys beers made with wild yeast or even those interested in barrel aged beers wanting to try something new.

3.4/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance is dull gold with a small white collar that leaves almost no lace. Bottle date 11/18/2010.

Smell is sweet, funky, phenolic.

Taste is pretty funky, there's some iron notes as well as iced tea like sweetness. A little fruity. This tea notes remind me of an ale that was heavy on the crystal malt, which I know was not in the mash bill here, but nevertheless is an unloved attribute.

Mouthfeel is slick, medium light bodied, lacking the spritz I look for in gueuze, more lambic like.

Drinkability is pretty good, the sweetness makes it more approachable than others, but I prefer much more pucker. I gotta say, regardless of how heralded a blender they are, it's not the most impressive geuze.

3.43/5  rDev -21%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12.7oz to a snifter, bottled 12/5/12

Pours a very cloudy pale amber gold with two fingers of foam. Heavy carbonation stemming from the center and sides, very strong retention and lacing. Kinda of hard to drink because the foam won't die down. Edit- it looks really good now that it finally has

Smells of tart cherries, oak, vinegar, sour apple, white wine, leather, strong Belgian funk and just a little bit of alcohol

Taste is initial upfront tart cherry, followed bland sour baking apple. Oak and wine notes are present on the after taste. The start and finish are good, but that middle part breaks it for me, almost like tasting the inside of a pill

Feel is medium sour with high bitterness. Sort of fizzy

Overall either this bottle is bad or these things taste like shit fresh. I'll try and get another to lie down for a few years to find out, but this experience wasn't worth anything near the $13 I paid for it

3.45/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into a Geuze boon glass in Ghent, Belgium during my visit there. Reviewed from notes. 6% confirmed.

A: Three finger head of good thickness and slight cream. Clear hazy gold colour. Appealing.

Sm: Souring hops and bacteria. A moderate strength scent. My body tells me maybe this should be avoided.

T: ...But me mind tells me to drink! Sour body, aiding the hops. Very well balanced. Full barley lends it body. Complex and unique with its soured esters and dying bacterial notes. The depth of the sourness is hard to describe, but delightful. Some floral hops occupy the background. For the style, its a par build.

Mf: Smooth and wet for the style, though complementary of the flavours in the body.

Dr: It's difficult to down - especially if you're not accustomed to the style - but just one might be a welcome introduction for newcomers, as it's a bit less sour than others I've had. Fairly priced, at least in Belgium, all things considered. Very drinkable for the style once you acclimate. The fairly high ABV is well hidden. High quality.

My review of this one was rushed; I'll need to re-review at some point.

B-

3.47/5  rDev -20%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Green 37.5cl bottle: best before 9th Dec 2019. Poured carefully into two old 'Home Ales' half-pint countryman tankards on 3rd Nov 2012.

Almost clear old gold to new golden in colour, no real head to talk about.

The smell and taste reminded me of good quality scrumpy, cooking apples, baking powder and Bicarbonate of Soda: very acidic. I actually thought this was OK and drinkable compared to others in this style.

Try as I might, this style of brewing/bottling and blending still leaves me unimpressed somewhat. I want to embrace the idea of Lambic beers and Geuze but struggle to feel the wonderous excitment other 'beer geeks' get from having beers from this stable or other Lambic breweries.

Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze from Brouwerij 3 Fonteinen