Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze | Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen

Drie Fonteinen Oude GeuzeDrie Fonteinen Oude Geuze

Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen
3fonteinen.be

Style: Gueuze

This listing is for all vintages of the Oude Geuze, but not for bottles specifically labelled "Oude Geuze Vintage".

Added by rastaman on 09-27-2002

Reviews: 724 | Ratings: 2,697
4.17/5  rDev -3.9%

2003 Vintage, 37.5cl bottle

Pours a perfect shade of cloudy apricot and creates a fluffy white head that disipates quickly. Aroma is full of barnyard and sharp cheese, slight vinegar sourness. Flavor is hugely complex, acidic, sharp and sour citrus fruit, funky cheese and something indescribeable that I have never experienced in any other beer. Smooth on the palate, finishes very dry. This gueuze has such a unique character, it is a real shame that I only have one bottle. Quite nice.

4.39/5  rDev +1.2%

Gueuze is my favourite beer style because of the mystery surrounding the elaboration of the brew. Spontaneous fermentation can yield unmatched complexity in aromas and flavours, and this beer is a prime example.

Poured a lovely golden colour, slightly hazy and adorned with an uncharacteristically generous head of white foam. No retention or lace were noticed.

Aromas: HOLY SHIT!!! Full on frontal assault of the purest farmhouse funk I have ever had the chance to whiff. This stuff was pungent, organic, and of a complexity I fear I will never do justice. Through all of the country odours I managed to detect evident notes of apples, peaches, lemons, spices and damp straw, caramel, vanilla, horse hair, horse blanket.... This was the ultimate olfactory experience. Extreme.

The mouthfeel was very tart yet rounded and very firm. Flavours of fruit (mentioned above in the aromas) and caramelly sweetness dominated through a spritzy and quenching effervescence. Tart finish accented by a fresh bitterness made this beer somewhat less drinkable than a hefeweizen but still very pleasant if you are a fan of gueuze. I shall order many bottles of this brew when I have a chance. The smell was just too much.

A This is a beautiful beer that is orange in color, clear and has a nice head. The head lasted the entire glass and covered the beer to the end.

S Smells sour/acidic, no hops are noted. It smells clean, no off-flavors, and typical of other Geuze I've had.

T Puckering in a good way. This has a nice sour tart flavor like green apples. It is crisp, sharp and clean. There is no sweetness. Balance is on the tart side.

M Medium body, dry finish, carbonation is high.

D This is a middle of the road geuze, it will offend the the uninitiated, but is a good geuze and worth trying.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

750ml bottled on 04.26.2010. Consumed on 01.30.2011.

A full two to three inch cap settles into a loosely packed full finger head. It's a see-through honey with lots of bubbles ascending to the surface.

Citrus and sharply acidic, a nice oakiness, hay, some pear and apple. Very little funkiness at this young age. Lovely nose.

Poignant sourness (esp. citrus, tart apple) is met by just a hint of oakiness. There's a nice hay/grassy quality and soft must and leather lent from the brett. Not a lot to say here; a quintessential gueuze.

Medium to medium-light bodied, creamy in the mouth at first, but with a good bit of carbonation mid-palate. Dry and lightly tannic finish implores you on. Honestly, if I lived in Belgium, this would be my daily drink after a long day.

3.32/5  rDev -23.5%

served in a chalice, poured from a bottle. reads: nov. 30, 2005, good for at least ten years from bottling date.

Appearance: poured well, with no head to speak of, just some large bubbles that didn't stick around too long. Color of apple cider. I must say at this point, I'm a little dissapointed, as reviews I've read mention a 1 to 2 finger white head. No head for me, story of my life.

Smell: a sour funkiness that I have come to associate with duchesse de bourgogne. A slight malty sweetness as well. I have a feeling this is going to be good.

Taste: Definately sour. A funky mustiness? A musty funkiness? Either way, tart, and pretty refreshing after the initial shock to my uninitiated taste buds. Almost winelike, or vinous, if you will. There is almost a hint of a apple cider quality as well. A long, dry, tart finish leaves me wanting that next drink, but I must wait a little longer between, to see how it warms up to me. Picking up some floral flavors as it warms up. I have to say at this point, that the taste doesn't really live up to the aroma. It's good, but the smell made me think it would be great.

Mouthfeel: As this is my first foray into this style, I've nothing to compare it to (stylewise), nevertheless, the lack of carbonation makes it seem very, drinkable. Although a bit more may have heightened the taste experience. Almost soft in a way that again reminds me of wine.

drinkability: again, as my first in this style, this is tough. I don't see myself drinking this again in the near future. It isn't that it's bad, only foreign to me in so many ways. I will probably seek out others in the same style, revisiting this one once I have a better handle on the style.

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

Drie Fonteinen Oude Gueuze, bottled on Feb 01, 2008

Served in New Belgium tulip.

A: Pours clear gold with a rocky head that shows little retention.  Some lacing is left behind initially. Good effervescence.

S: Medium-high acidic and wood, oak, to be specific, are predominant characteristics. Below those I find musty basement and hay.  Maybe biscuity malts. The next pour produces a more pronounced barnyard-like smell.

T: Citric and lactic acid are sharp and bright and pucker cheeks. Lemon juice and green apple skins.  A little vinegar adds to sourness.  Light oak notes and a hint of hay and biscuity malts. Funk is about as low-key as in the nose. Mild bitterness. Clean finish.

M: Medium body and medium-heavy carbonation. Lively, prickly mouthfeel.  Drying.

O: I'm disappointed that the brettanomyces isn't a bit more pronounced. With that said, I love this beer and knew coming in that it would rate well. Highly recommended.

4.7/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Beautiful, crystal clear pale straw. Half an inch of head dissipates quickly with little lacing on the glass. Medium carbonation maintained throughout the pour.

S - Citrus (esp. lemon), soft leather, barn-yard funk, and just a bit of sulfur behind.

T - Sourness first, followed by large citrus component with lemon foremost. Gorgeous funk rounded out with leathery and slightly tannic finish.

M - Light, crisp.

D - Absolutely flawless.

Overall - No better gueuze available in the US, IMHO. This is my birthday bottle, so I'm happy to say that I don't need to finish this by writing "I could drink a 750," as in fact I will drink a 750. Cheers!

4.62/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drie Fonteinen: Oude Gueuze (Bottled: 2008) (Tasted 05/10/10)
12 oz. cork & cage bottle, poured into a flute.

Appearance: I must admit, I had to play a game while pouring this beer, a game called "how long will it take for the gigantic mushroom shaped head on this beer to burst." It was a fun game, it didn't burst, bottle poured, hazy golden amber beer with aforementioned puff, off-white head rising up and out of the glass, like a monument to the beer gods. Retention and formation puts many heavily hopped beers to shame.
Odor: As soon as the bottle popped open, the tart aroma of granny smith apple, sharp creamy cheese, waxy rind and phenols filled the area around my desk. Tremendous.
Consistency: Light body, intensely sour palate, literally teetering on the brink of being offensive. Intense carbonation scrubs the palate clean and lends a very lively feel to the beer.
Flavor: Apple cider & lemon juice, hints of fermented honey, subtle phenols, tangy overripe red fruit rolls into a dry, clean finish.

Of the gueuze I've tried, this is one of my favorites. Something about the intensity of the aroma and the distinct cheese-like notes sets this one apart for me.

4.11/5  rDev -5.3%

Slightly hazy, golden pour with a big, frothy, white head. The aroma is oaky white grapes with notes of black pepper, bright citrus, honey, grass and brett. Sour white grape flavor with hints of lemon, pepper, wheat, and oak. Medium body with lots of effervescent carbonation and a dry tart finish.

4.57/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured from a 12.7oz caged and corked bottle (dated Nov. 30, 2005) and served in a tumbler. This beer poured a hazy, glowing orange with a two-finger thick head of tight, beige fizz that slowly faded away into a thin, lasting cap. Not much lace to speak of. The aroma of the beer was made up of oak, grass, oranges, along with loads of funk. The flavor was very woody and earthy. Lots of wet wood, mildly tart acidity, sourdough, and a light citrus sweetness. Extremely funky, but not overly sour. The mouthfeel was light to medium-bodied and a bit crisp with modest carbonation. Insanely drinkable and thirst-quenching. Lovely stuff!

4.3/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured from a 375ml cork and caged bottle, bottled on December 1, 2010 into my La Fin Du Monde tulip.

A: Pours a pretty golden yellow with the lightest tinge of orange, fairly strong pour leaves a 3 finger bone white head that settles in a couple minutes into a small ring around the edge. Lacing is minimal. Leaves some light legs on the glass when it's swirled. Nice looking beer.

S: Smell is fairly straight forward for a gueuze, acidity and funk lead the way with lemon and cracker behind them. Nice.

T: Probably the best gueuze I've had, sour funky acidity up front followed by lemon, apple skin, and a light earthiness. Slight wheat twang behind that along with a dry cracker malt. No ABV hints. Very nice.

M: Slightly oily, carbonation is lower, but still appropriate, body is on the lighter side, but again appropriate. Finishes long and acidic.

O: One of my favorite beers of 2012, so far. This beer is so easy to find and is reasonably priced, which make it that much better. I've had several of the Armand 4, Boon, and Cantillon gueuzes, and to be honest, I think the Drie Fonteinen is probably the best for the money. Cantillon is better, but with it becoming so hard to find, 3F is definitely where it's at.

4.47/5  rDev +3%

Bottled December 10, 2009.

Golden orange, opaque with a tight, fizzy head that retains well.

Smell is musky and fruity. Smoke and lemons. Wonderfully interesting and complex.

Taste is a sour musk with a long finish that sweetens as it goes. Lemons, peaches, bit of butter. There's an oaty flavor deep in there surrounded by tart sweetness. The taste is hard to pin down, and it's very compelling. It makes me want more after each sip.

Fantastic.

4.52/5  rDev +4.1%

1999 vintage

Soft orange color, vigorous carbonation with a big fluffy white head. Pretty cloudy from a long car ride...but couldn't wait!

Nose was really fantastic. Super Brett! Big wet straw, soil, horsey-ness...bit of stale urine too...I know that sounds bad, but it was there and really kind of fit.

Really nice flavor...one of the smoothest Gueuze I've ever had. Really nice flavors, but none of the super rough-ness that I get in Hanssen's. Everything is there. Super tart, big Brett character and the really funky beasties in the finish...I think they are the enterics but I could be wrong...the stuff that tastes quite toxic. they were there but were not harsh. Just a nice 'snap' in the finish so to speak. Lingering intense sourness.

Mouthfeel was really right on. Very thin and efferefscent.

Most drinkable Gueuze I've ever had. The really clean sourness that lingers makes this beer quite enjoyable.

4.72/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2015 vintage
~ 1 year and 2 months from bottling date

Appearance- Pours a golden color, bright glistening hues, transparent. Fast rising carbonation bubbles lead to a two finger thick bubbly white head, effervescent. Not much head lacing on glass.

Aroma- Dry oak, spicy earthiness. Musty, chalky, funky dryness, wet hay, grassy notes. Touch of tart lemon and mild sweet fruitiness.

Taste- Tart lemon, green apple, sweet pineapple, citrus zest, bursts with tart fruity sweetness. Dry oak, spice, earthy minerality, dried leaves, herbal tea. Slight funkiness, creamy cheese, chalky dry finish.

Feel- Medium bodied, mild tartness throughout, finishes with an earthy dry bitterness. Moderate to higher carbonation, effervescent and fluffy, accentuates the flavors well.

Overall- Bursting zesty, tart fruitiness leads to wonderfully complex earthy notes. Each flavor seems layered and nuanced, and at the same time comes together in such a beautiful way. The mouthfeel and body fits everything together perfectly. Its crisp and refreshing, juicy and flavorful.

4.81/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured from a 375 ml bottle dated Nov. 18, 2010 into my Stone IRS tulip. Got about of finger and a half of Champagne-esque head that dies quickly, but the ever-present bubbles remain. Golden hued body. Tart fruit on the nose, especially apple. Granny Smith in the house. Funky, but not full on barnyard. Probably drinking it a little young. Maybe some sour feet on the nose too. The hairs in my nose prickle. I'm in love. More of that tart unripe Granny Smith apple stuff going on on the palate. A funky bitter hop finish, along with some citrus peel bitterness. Very dry and Champagne-like as far the the mouthfeel goes. Little bubbles. Very little bubbles. Fan-effing-tastic. Love love love.

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

375mL corked and caged bottle with bottled on date November 30 2005, poured into snifter at Brouwer's, reviewed on 5/15/11

A: Pours a clear golden color with orange hues and a whitish head that leaves some lacing around glass.

S: Lots of barnyaardy funk with tons of earthy aromas, grass and some lemon peel.

T: Similar to the aroma, lots of funk, lactic sourness, really earthy with citrus notes and oak. Many layers of intriguing earthy complexities.

M: lighter bodied sour with moderate carbonation, finishes dry.

O: Very funky and earthy gueuze, nice and crisp with good drinkability.

3.93/5  rDev -9.4%

Bottle from March 2010. First gueuze ever, so I had little idea what to expect.

Poured a hazy copper with a frothy head that settled into a thin cap for the duration. Fairly pretty looking beer.

Very subtle aroma of tartness, some apple perhaps. As it warmed the sour aromas became more pronounced, and some funk crept in.

Weird balance of flavors here. Nearly no funk in the taste. Crisp sourness up front, bittering hops to finish. Warming the beer caused both the sourness and bitterness to explode, and it became a little tough to drink towards the end.

Body on the light side of medium with excellent carbonation. They advertised carbonation reminiscent of champagne but I would say that's not accurate at all. No insane effervescence and relatively small bubbles. Much more like beer, and very well done.

I wonder if I had this one when it was too young. I liked how different it was from what I usually drink, but I wouldn't seek this out again.

4.87/5  rDev +12.2%

What a great Oude Geuze. Such a harmony. After finishing the bottle I turned my glass four times to catch the very last drip, wishing this sensation wasn't over.

L: Nice top for a geuze. Golden, bright look.
S: Almost undescribable; earthy yeast, bit mushroom, every further description (a little bit of this and a little bit of that -citrus for example-)doesn't come near the unique round Geuze-smell;
T: In great harmony with the smell. Some geuzes taste like unripe, green apples. In this one the apple is crispy/fresh/ripe for the first day. Also cream and oak.
M: there's a little too much CO2, but further: excellent. The mouthfeel is like a beautiful accord. Sour, but not too sour. Alcohol of 6% is perfect chosen. Dry aftertaste ofcourse, but not too dry. It's an invitation to take another sip.

Sometimes the aftertaste is so dry (f.e. Boon Oude Geuze), it feels like a roadblock - and you have to start over again. This one is more like a stick for an endless relay-run.

Green label; 37,5 cl. bottle

Warning: I almost died when I unfastened the metal. The cork shoot to the ceiling and ,when returning, just missed me. Many Champagne wines would be jalous about this force!

4.4/5  rDev +1.4%

375 C&C Bottle (Nov 18, 2010) courtesy of LSUPT*

*seems like all my reviews are thanks to this guy

Poured cautiously into my Fantome tulip after the frightening burst when popping the top.

Pours a very inviting straw-like yellow that has a very nice glow with or without the light near it. A huge head forms at first, but fades fairly quickly to nothing but a very thin crown. No lacing to be seen. I typically wouldn't be impressed at all by the appearance of this, but I feel like it's very standard for the style.

From the second the cork is popped lemon zest rushes to my nose. Not an extremely sour smell, just a slight tartness, but it's filled with very fresh lemons. Earthy tones like grass, bark, and hay peak through. From the aroma you'd think Belgian Saison, but that's just the aroma.

The taste is outstanding. I didn't read any reviews up to this point of this beer and I was really in the mood for a citrusy zest in my beer and this has tons of it. Very juicy lemon pulp which fades into that earthiness I was getting in the nose. Slight soil-like taste which I liked quite a bit.

The mouthfeel is spot on. The body was quite clear so I felt like I'd have a nice light, Chardonnay-like mouthfeel to it. And it didn't disappoint. Beyond easy to drink and very enjoyable on this warm summer night.

I really liked this beer. I paired it with some habanero pepperjack cheese and it was outstanding. I think I have enjoyed this more than I enjoyed the two Cantillon offerings I've had to this point (Iris & Classic Geuze). Very glad I'm finding a liking to this style.

4.42/5  rDev +1.8%

a most barnyardy beer indeed. surprisingly high level of champagne-like carbonation on this straw colored gueuze. a little tingly as it goes down. my buddy david nailed it when he said horse blanket on the nose. funky, wild yeasty scents mingle with a bit of breadiness. tart and dry on the finish. goes great with epoisses.

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

2004 bottle date, different label, no Drie

Darker than most gueze's with big soap, white head. Very thick soapy belgian lace. Aroma is pure funkiness, horse crap, lemon, a little cinnamon. This is a verey drinkable lambic, not over the top. Sour/lemon with a light body

4.32/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from 750ml bottle into a Drie Fonteinen gueuze glass. Poured a hazy orange color with a slight dirty blonde hue. Nice champagne like head that left little after a minute. The smell was a mixture of sour fresh musty citrus, a bit of brett and barnyard funk finish. Taste is pleasantly sour kind of like a lemon teaish flavor with a slight acidic vingear present and the drynish that on the finish mixed with the champagne like carbonation makes this a great example of gueuze.

4.59/5  rDev +5.8%

As I got to the last turn of the cork cage the cork just popped off straight up into my hand - I knew I had something good going. Poured into a snifter.

A - Only slightly cloudy golden yellow color with some depth. The head was large white and produce tons of lace.

S - Incredible smell. Awesome funky barnyard sents that make the back of your mouth pucker a little. The fruits in the air were clear and smooth with some acitic notes. I could smell it all day.

T & M & D - Super funky sour awesome right off the bat. That is when it becomes amazing is the sweet fruits and sugars that come in and smooth out the sour and make the middle of the palate incredibly enjoyable and complex. Then on the back end instread of going dry and stale and sour the cool oakiness comes in and sooths the aftertaste - thus making it a great experience the entire way through. I have trouble with some guezes when they finish too dry and make you want to drink some water but this one just makes you want to take another sip. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with light carbination and very easy on the palate considering the style, making it drinkable as well.

O - One of the best Geuzes I have had hands down, I don't think much more needs to be said. Get one.

-Cheers

4.09/5  rDev -5.8%

Bottled February 2007

A - Apple cider orange, with a thick, frothy 2-finger head. Sticky lacing left everywhere. So cloudy you'd think it was a Hefe.

S - Lemon, green grape, and major musty funk. Horsey. Anise & coriander. An interesting combination - a spicy funk as opposed to Girardin's sweet funk.

T - Expected sour bang doesn't really come. Tart for sure, but not as puckering as, say, anything Cantillon. Spice and funk are on the forefront, with a gentle sweetness coming through for balance. Surprisingly bitter at the end (which, for a gueuze, means you notice some bitterness behind the sour).

M - Very light and dry. Lively carbonation adds to the crispness.

D - If you dig the funk, it's incredibly drinkable. Unfortunately the price tag ($18.99) brings the score down a bit.

Not as sour as I normally like, but well balanced and refreshing. Also may be the funkiest beer I've really enjoyed. Not my favorite Gueuze, but quite tasty. Worth a shot if you can fit it in the budget.

4.96/5  rDev +14.3%

750mL 1999 ed courtesy of Travlr and again courtesy of Armand. This is so insanely good. Note that this is the 1999- which many consider the best geuze ever made. Armand I think would agree. From talking to him directly, this one is made with Boon, Girardin, and Lindemann’s lambik. This, as Armand said, can never be replicated and is really just a product of pure luck and circumstance.

The 1999 geuze I have had twice and love it to death. First, it pours like an unblended. It is super deep, cloudy orange with no head. Aroma is incredible. You can smell it from 20 feet away: huge leather, tannins, citrus, blood orange, mango yogurt, feet, sweat. Taste is beautiful soft yogurt/lactic, bright citrus, curacao, grapefruit, just mouth-watering all the way around without being too sour or acetic. The Girardin being blended in here is just so awesome as a base lambic. Very quick, zippy palate. I can’t find anything wrong this this geuze and see no reason to put it up with J&J Blauw.

I am rating the 1999 ed mainly because I like to score a beer the highest mark that I have ever given it, even if I have had multiple samples that are inferior. I feel it is unfair to average out all of my scores for special lambics like this. I've had dozens of normal 3F Geuze bottles, but the 1999 is by far the best.

Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze from Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen