Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze | Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen

Drie Fonteinen Oude GeuzeDrie Fonteinen Oude Geuze

Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen
Belgium | website

Style: Gueuze

This listing is for all vintages of the Oude Geuze, but not for bottles specifically labelled "Oude Geuze Vintage".

Added by rastaman on 09-27-2002

Reviews: 712 | Ratings: 2,642
4.15/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A-The projectile cork nearly killed my dog. A bit of a gusher. Big, yeast stained head. Modest lacing.

S-Tart, nearly vegetal aroma.Wet, soggy wood. Sour apple cider. Lemon zest. Very aromatic and intense.

T-Suck my lemons! That is sour. Subtle woodiness. Grassy, too. There is some semblance of a malt here. The tartness is bright and lingering.

M-Lively carbonation. Tartness sticks to my lips. Has some body to it.

O/D-Worth the $20 750ml. I drank this beer very young. I may need to grab another and throw her in the cellar. Just a very earthy, natural medley of flavors.

4.3/5  rDev -0.9%

Slightly funky aroma, apple, tart, with a bit of funk. Flavor is acetic at the base, with good citric notes and lactic finish. Excellent, complex beer.

4.42/5  rDev +1.8%

12.7 ounce bottle, bottled on March 10th, 2008. Served in a tulip, the beer pours a hazy golden/orange color with a couple inch frothy off-white head. Head retention is pretty good, with a decent amount of lacing left on the glass. Aroma is tart apples, barnyard funk, and some oak and lemon peel. Wow, this beer is even more tart and funky tasting than I expected it to be. The taste is just like the aroma, it's tart, musty and earthy. Mouthfeel/body is medium, and has a lot of soft carbonation. Drinkability is pretty good, it's very enjoyable! I think this is a good overall brew, I'd definitely buy this again in the future.

4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

2000 Vintage:
Hazy caramel yellow with a rocky, off-white head. Plenty of lacing. The aroma was fruity and acidic with white wine grape character. Dry, acidic flavour. Lots of puckering sourness, but this was balanced masterfully with fruit. Full of flavour. Light body with some tingling on the palate in the finish. A great beer! Thanks northyorksammy.

2.93/5  rDev -32.5%

Poured into a Saint Somewhere wine-style glass. Label says Bottling Date Nov 18. 2010. Label also says, "Good for at least ten years after bottling date."

A- Pours a slightly hazy gold color with a two finger sparkly white head that quickly fizzles away to a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a large tuft of surface foam. Thick, semi-resilient ring of lacing.

S- Phew! Vinegar doesn't even come close to describing the incredibly pungent, wild aroma that bursts from the glass. Rubbery, chemically astringent. It's like when something smells bad but it's so unique and intense that you keep smelling it and going "Oh! God!" Small amount of fruitiness is derived when taking a long whiff.

T- Now I see why the bottle is so small. I can't imagine anyone drinking more than 375 mL of this at a time. For the taste, "sour" isn't an adjective that truly describes what's going on. The highly acidic and, once again, rubbery flavors are almost too much to handle. After a few sips, the palate becomes slightly acclimated but the ascerbic nature of the drink still sends my taste buds into overload.

M- Extremely tart. Makes my tongue pucker and wither with each sip, then immediately re-salivate with the lingering sourness still present. Medium-high carbonation and a very dry feel.

O- My girlfriend described this as a "chemically soaked warhead" and I'm inclined to agree. I've had many sours before that I enjoy such as Rodenbach, Duchesse, Monk's Cafe Flemish and St. Louis Fond Tradition but this is way too much. And I thought Jolly Pumpkin's beers were insane... I understand that these beers are supposed to taste like this but the reason I give it such a low score is because of the ridiculous price tag of $13.99 for a 12.7 oz bottle which I understand to be not uncommon.

4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

Vintage 2004.

The colour is gold with a tint of orange; the liquid is almost clear. The two finger thick white head is airy and quite firm. Looks nice to me.

The smell is strong, sour, dry and earthy. I noticed notes of vinegar, fruits, minerals, earth and some roasted flavours (rubber?). It is complex and not as chemical as other gauzes that I have reviewed.

The taste is … Wahoo! It is very complex, but at the same time very pleasant and balanced. It is, of course, sour with notes of white wine vinegar, lime and minerals (iron, rust). There are also notes of heather, wormwood and bitter oranges. The aftertaste is surprisingly creamy with flavours of “Herbs de Provance” spice mix and bitter citric fruits. The bitterness disappears slowly into a flavour loaded with mineral and earthy notes. It is balanced all the way through.

The carbonation is very fresh with lots of small bubbles.

This is a truly outstanding beer and I am really impressed!

4.9/5  rDev +12.9%

12.7oz. corked and caged bottle poured into a stemmed glass. March 10,2008 on the label.

(A)- Pours a clear orange golden hue with yellow-ish highlights. Produced a huge bubbly effervescent pure white head with some great retention on it; surprising for the style. Left some suds-like lacing behind.

(S)- Wow, a dense hay field-full of straw and hay dryness up front that turns into a literal funk of sour lactic-acid and a moldy cheese of some sort. A touch of a tart yet grassy lemon zest at the end.

(T)- Very similar to the smell. A rather potent grassy lemon zest with a very dry hay/straw moldy funk. Finishes as it started. Man, is the tart/sourness potent in this one!

(M)- A great lively carbonation level and balance. A big sour/acidic profile with a dry funk to rival it. Crisp, and a literal party on the tongue.

(D)- An obvious world class Gueuze. Nothing can I find to complain about. A joy to smell and drink. Paired it with some aged sharp white cheddar later on; yum!

**Update. After having this numerous times now, I am bumping its score up from what I originally had. Overall, I think this absolutely top notch and could see myself drinking it everyday if I could.

4.87/5  rDev +12.2%

The Great Lambic Summit

'99 vintage...Pours a lovely dulled gold color, very clean with moderate head of little white bubbles, nice sheets of lacing. Scent is a tremendously big yet unaggreassive whiff of musty wood, leaves and damp earth (like a walk outside after a day of rain) backed by nice big tart and sour notes that awaken the senses after the comforting mustyness. Taste follws scent almost to the t - dont ask me how i know what earthy, wood and leaves taste like, but this is it. The tart and sourness is also present in a big bold way, but somehow compliments the earthyness rather than covering it up. Medium in body, perfect carbonation, bone dry - gone before it hits the tongue at times. A wonderful beer that was quite the experience.

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a pale blonde color with a one finger head into my lambic glass. Looks like a lot of carbonation is present.

Aroma is a mix of apricot, apple and cherry in the nose. It's mildly funky.

The aromas are deceptive as the tongue is greeted by lots of funk, with old moldy shoe coming to my mind. Only a small amount of the other "flavors" remain.

Finishes somewhat dry with lingering funk. If you're thinking "dessert beer" think again.

Except for that last sentence, there is no reason why you should not partake in the experience that this beer provides. Just be prepared to feel like you just ate a moldy shoe after drinking this!

4.31/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

375ml C&C bottle.

poured into tulip glass.

bottled on date of March 5, 2012.

moderate pop when the cork is removed from the bottle.

Appearance: Glowing golden bodied beer with huge almost 3 fingers of head that drops quickly to a thin cap.

Smell: Sweaty, dusty, musty, yeasty, funky smelling beer. Touch of vinegar and lemon / citrus tartness.

Taste: very lemony and sour with a touch of bright orangish citrus notes and wheat notes. Hint of musty and sweaty funk. Oaky and earthy. Little bit of yeasty notes in there for good measure too. Really pleasant Gueuze!

Mouthfeel: light bodied beer with moderate carbonation. Crisp, clean, bright, acidic, tart, refreshing. Semi-dry finish. Very lively carbonation that isnt to prickly or ticklish; its just well done.

Overall: Probably my favorite gueuze that I have tried recently. Havent drank too many beers from this style, but I have been drinking my fair share of this beer style lately and this beer is the most memorable so far! I am becoming more of a fan of this style with every beer that I try.

On the 12th of December 2010, I happened to stumble upon a bottle of the 1999 Oude Gueuze, probably my top want since I got to try it at the Lambic Summit in Phily. Sharing it with a close friend, reminiscing over what we were doing when this beer was bottled and spending a couple of hours nursing my lions share, I was convinced that this was the best gueuze I'd ever had. More detailed notes from the Summit are below, but briefly, the blend of soft lemons, mellow tannins and a light floral character make this beer unique. Better than Blauw, better than the 02 Vintage Oude Gueuze, better than the 2001 bottling of the Cantillon Classic, this is exceptional.

** June 10, 2010**
Served out of a bottle at The Great Lambic Summit. Armand talked about this beer and how the plan was to make a beer distinct from the regular gueuze. A blend of Boon, Lindeman's and Girardin lambics, this beer pours a mildly hazy orange with a dense white head with decent retention and some lacing. The nose is outstanding. Beautiful citrus and oak tannin character, this is deep, rich and nuanced. Moderately cheesy, this has aged very gracefully. No acetic character. Lemons, orange and a Roquefort-like funk, along with a forest floor, woody aroma. Great balance.

The palate opens with a dank funk, forest floor, mildly reminding me of dried mushrooms. Juicy lemons with a moderate acidic character. Oak is present, mild vanilla and a beautiful tannin character providing a gentle but strong backbone. Beautiful stuff. This is an absolutely exceptional blend. The finish is rather unreal, there's a lingering lemon and tannin character. Beautifully integrated. There's a softness and suppleness that's present that I can't find in the J&J Blauw. I feel lucky to have tried this, the clean sourness lacking in acetic character is a beautiful thing.

Side by side with the Blauw, this isn't as dank and less forest floor like, less tannic and less lemony. People who loved the Blauw preferred it for exactly this reason.
**Reviewed on: 08-17-2009 04:40:52**
4.5/4.5/4.5/4.5/4.5
Having spent more than I care to admit to acquire a bottle of Hommage, I figured it would be best to get a feel for Drie Fonteinen's house character before I jump into what is one of their highest regarded beers. I grabbed this at State Line today, this batch was bottled 1st Feb 2008

A: No sooner than I pop the cage does the cork fly off, causing a minor spill. Luckily, I have my RR tulip handy, and that glass is filled with a gorgeous, golden copper-colored brew with fantastic amounts of carbonation, atop which sits a white head with good retention and attractive lacework. Good stuff

S: Plenty of sourness here. There's a lot of lemon rind character, a bracing acidity. Funk is present and prominent, with a sharpness that reminds me in ways of the 1984 Eylenbosch Gueuze I had recently, grassy and grainy with some barnyard characted I get a little white pepper and an astringency that I can't quite describe. I can only go as far as say it's neither hop nor oak. There is also a mild amount of vanilla and sweetness, citrus in character, that is apparent. There really is an awful depth to this beer. In between the citrus, oak, funk and mild lactic character, this beer is great

T: Opening up with a solid dose of lemon peel and lactic sourness, this gueuze is excellent. Big, juicy lemons, with a beautiful sweetness that's got a lot of citrus, honey and vanilla. Funk is secondary to the sourness here, with the dominating character being barnyard and some tart granny smith apples. Overall, this is one juicy, succulent gueuze, one that's a treat. In some ways, I see this as a bracing, raw fruit, one that time will mellow out and "ripen", bringing to the forefront the more fruity characteristics of the bugs. Finishes dry, sour, lemony and with a mild sweetness, this is excellent.

M: While retaining a light airy character, this beer has sufficient heft mid-palate to deserve an extra nod. High carbonation enhances just about everything good about this beer, and the finish is tremendous. The sourness is high, but biting acidity is reserved, making for a very enjoyable gueuze.

D: This was supposed to be consumed while working on an essay, but it's taken me the duration of the bottle to review. Oh well. Well done, Armand!

Notes: While this is my first exposure to this beer, the things that strike me about it are that in contrast with Cantillon, this has a lot more latent tropical fruit character, a mellower acidity, and a sharpness in flavor that reminds me of Hanssens.
**Edit: 21 April 2010
Side by side, the Doesjel is woodier, less grassy, less bright citrus, less sweet/floral character. Both are excellent beers, but I have to tip my hat to the Oude Gueuze.
** edit 19 July 2015**
Bottled Nov 2005.
Gaining a juicy, oxidized honey like fruitiness, citrus rinds, earth, mushroom, damp basement, gorgeous funk, melons. Juicy, funky palate with preserved lemons, honey, floral funk, soft palate.

4.53/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled February 28, 2004. Poured into my Orval chalice. Immediately the smell of gueuze fills the room.

Pours a clear amber/orange, huge thick white head forms, looks awesome and refuses to go away, one of the most solid heads I've ever seen. Smell is wicked, orange peels, spice, tart/sour, hay, barnyard, lemons. Wow, tart citrus, spices, and funk smack me in the face, acidity through middle, vanilla/toffee, more funk, more citrus, this is big. Real nice oakiness to it. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation, super smooth, really goes down nice. Fantastic gueuze, looks amazing, perfect carbonation, superfunk, I wish I had more.

4.27/5  rDev -1.6%

This bottle is 3.5 years old (11 Dec, 2000).

This beer has a golden hue that glows orange. A very healthy and slightly bubbly white head tops it off. Retention amazing. Streams of carbonation jet to the surface. The aroma is wonderful. Musty. Lemony. Grassy. Citric. Horse Blanket. Just a little bubblegum. Damn fine. The body is light and the mouthfeel is airy. A little fizzy. This taste can be likened to the outer layer a sour gobstopper. It is acidic beyond belief. Citrus flavors and lemongrass make their presence know. Some cider. On scale of 1-10, this would get a 9 maybe 9.5 for its mouthpuckering ability. Tart as all get out. Just a little of the horseblanket on the buds. Just what you'd expect from a well made lambic (Gueuze).

4.45/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle at a pub in Antwerp. From notes.

A - Poured light gold with intense carbonation and a 2 finger fluffy white head. Bright. Amazing retention.

S - Tons of grape. Quite sour smelling, dusty, musty, and very rich and complex.

T - Lot's of grape, sourness, dustiness, and mustiness. Lot's of lemon comes out. More sour towards the end. Very nice stuff.

M - Strong carbonation and a medium body. Great dry/sour finish.

O/D - A great Gueuze. No complaints at all. Very tasty and complex. I enjoyed this alot and found it to be a better example of the style.

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

375ml bottle gently poured into snifter. Bottled 11/18/10
Golden in color with a finger of bright white head.
Oak, some berry tartness and mild vinegar acidity.
A wonderful blend of dry oak flavor mixed with berry sweetness followed by a sour green apple finish.
Dry mouthfeel with prickly carbonation.
A very tasty but not overwhelming Gueuze. Great for people who are trying to get into this style.

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

Bottle dated Nov 18, 2010, poured into a flute

An aggressive pour yields a less than a finger bone white bubbly foam. Little to no staying power as it dissipates into a couple small patches. The body sits a light orange with no visible carbonation.

The aroma is classic gueuze. Light fruit, vinegar, tart, spicy coriander, and oak. This just smells dry.

Lemons seize control up front with malt vinegar and fruit through the middle. Some boozey spiciness and tart funk in the finish before a sweeping dryness.

Very low carbonation, don't think it is supposed to be like this. Light body, but a little dull due to the carbonation issue. The lingering dryness is incredible. Far and away the driest beer I have ever had.

I wish the carbonation issues weren't present, I feel like this beer is only lacking in that one area. I will seek this out again for a new take.

4.52/5  rDev +4.1%

Bottle opened on 10.9.12
Green Label
05. Jan 2012

A - Pours a hazy medium orange with a fluffy two inch cream-colored head, fizzy and fades fast.

S - Funky farmhouse, tart and citrus fruit.

T - Tart lemon, hay, funk horseblanket, pretty mellow.

D - Good carbonation with a light body. Crisp citrus finish.

O - Wonderfully crisp and tart.

4.28/5  rDev -1.4%

Drank a bottle of this at Craft the other day. Bright yellow, great 2.5" head that specializes in retention and lace. Epic. Good sour aroma, didn't really have a fruitiness to it, other than the generic and oft cited lemon, maybe some green apple to it.

Taste, a tad sweet, a good amount sour. Clearly not up to the sour level of Cantillon 100% Gueuze, but what is? Very similar, but this one has more sweetness, although far from a balance of sweet/sour, which is a good thing in my book. Pretty dry despite the sweetness, no real barrel qualities of it evident. I believe it was $16 for a 750ml at Craft, which appears to be a decent deal. Shit, that bottle split 4 ways. . . exactly.

Seems to be available pretty regularly at a decent, not great price, I think it deserves a little bump in the overall.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

75cl bottle, bottling date 17 December 2012, poured into Cantillon taster glasses today on 11 July 2013, with Benish.

Aroma: Funky. Everything you could use to describe funkiness including horse blanket, earthiness, old leather, etc. dominates this aroma. There is a little bit of oak as well. It's very pungent, sour and definitely dry. Reminds me of a funky champagne.

Colour: Hazy golden-blonde colour with a massive foamy white head. In fact, the bottle foamed over as soon as I opened it! It was definitely waiting to get out. In any case, the lacing is sporadic and the head definitely persists the entire time its in the glass. It looks great and refreshing.

Flavour: Somehow it comes out totally different than the aroma, which I think is very interesting, adding another dimension to this beer. It's got an earthy funkiness that is combined with lemon zest. It's extremely sour for sure! It's pretty acidic as well, kind of reminds me of sour apple, but I am not confident in this regard. Definitely a great combination of aroma and flavour here.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, it looks thin but definitely holds its own in terms of body. It finishes quite a bit dry and is rather mouthpuckering, which I am really enjoying. The aftertaste is mostly a combination of earthy lemon and oak, which sticks around a while- its worth enjoying slowly as the aftertaste lingers for quite a while. And it is of course very well carbonated!

Overall: It's awesomely sour with a great lemony complementary flavour profile. If you're a sour head and haven't tried this one, I have no idea why you haven't and would highly recommend you go out and get some of this one.

Re-review: Its only been a half a year since I had this, but I really want to impress in my review that this is a much better geuze than Cantillon Classic. Poured into a Hill Farmstead stemmed glass today, 12/4/2013. Bottle date Dec 7, 2012.

Appearance is the same, the nose is simply an amazing funky lemon zest with the taste following. It's got a nice funkiness to it but the citrus really sets it apart from Cantillon Classic which seems to rely more on the funk. Mouthfeel is as good as it was before. Simply put, this is a better geuze than Cantillon's and I would recommend it over the Classic.

Re-re-review: This is the last time I'll review this again, but I bought another 750ml of this to our non-Lente Seasons tasting to compare with these and Golden Blend. Bottle date is also Dec 7, 2012- almost a year old to the day; today being 12/8/2013.

Basically, this held up quite well against the Seasons, although this is obviously not on the same level as Zomer. I might actually enjoy this more than Winter, though. It's crisp, refreshing, lemony with some funk but not so much that it dominates the beer. For the price-quantity-rarity triangle, I can agree that this is the best value although its worth going after the Seasons to try at least once. Stock up on this, drink some and age some- it's probably the best shelf geuze out there.

4.27/5  rDev -1.6%

Bottle was from 2007 if my memory serves me.

Pours a hazy, golden color with a layer of short-lived white foam that recedes to nothing. Kinda looks like a lighter apple juice.

Aromas begin with lots and lots of funk along with a good amount of lemon juice and rind. Funkiness continues to emerge with those fun horse blanket, green apple and emerging oakiness.

The tastes begin with tart lemon and white grapefruit juices. Nibble of Granny Smith and white vinous grape notes as the citrus settles down a bit. Emerging flavors as it warms include oak, subdued leather and barnyard notes. Splash of mineral water.

Mouthfeel is light-medium bodied with light-medium carbonation. Long, dry, acetic finish. Very muted hint of spice remains on the palate.

Overall this is the definition of Gueuze. Better and better with each year of age. As with many I prefer the aroma to the overall flavor profile, but that is not saying it wasn't fantastic. Definitely worth seeking out and hiding from yourself for as long as humanly possible.

4.42/5  rDev +1.8%

Clear golden colour with a small white head. Fair head retention given the style.

Wonderful citrus aroma with the lemon notes being vibrant but some stonefruit and lime leaf coming out as well. Nice funk which is in balance with the acid.

Moderately tart with a nice lemon-lime sourness. Good funk note which is earthy, barnyardy and well balanced. Nice bitterness too.

Moderate body with high carbonation. A crisp, refreshing gueuze.

3F is at the top of the game. I know some prefer the intense sourness of Cantillon but this stuff is really, really good and nicely balanced on the palate.

4.08/5  rDev -6%

375ml bottle, from 12/12/2009, drank from my Rodenbach tulip... Pours a very clear dark gold, more clarity than the Vintages. An off white head, lasting but thin cap, no lacing... On the nose I can tell this is a newer batch, aroma is weak. Sweet oak, must, a hint of horse blanket, good but too light... The taste is much stronger, tons of oak and must, the aroma on steroids but lacks depth. Its a touch to alcoholic and acidic... The feel is tart and dry, a little to wet on the finish though.

This is good, but not great. Probably a touch to young, and didn't come close to the Vintage series. Still worth trying.

4.82/5  rDev +11.1%

1997 vintage, 15 euros at the Drie Fonteinen restaurant, consumed on Halloween 2010.

The beer pours a deep golden color with a nice thick cap of white foam that was fairly durable. The aroma was damn good, funky fruit and vegetables, musty, dank basement, bales of straw, all of these came to mind. It tastes bright and accessible despite all these strong smells, really flavorful without being too sour. Not that I'd have minded, but honestly this was nearly perfect. A little citrus enters along with the funkiness, every sip was delicious. Carbonation was low but present, giving a somewhat silky body.

I'm not sure I can recommend this highly enough, but in any case it probably doesn't matter as 1997 is pretty old and I'm sure becoming rare. But later vintages will likely be nice too. I brought a 2002 home with me from Belgium, also a 2006 for a friend. Maybe we'll try them both side-by-side together.

4.52/5  rDev +4.1%

Bottle purchsed from Green's on Ponce in Atlanta.

Pours a hazy lemon-yellow color with a one-finger bright white head. The large-bubbled head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving light lacing.

Smells of general funk - leather and wet hay are the most predominant - with hints of lemon peel. As it warms the aromas become fruitier with mild amounts of tropical fruit aromas.

Tastes similar to how it smells. The tartness is surprisingly subdued and takes equal billing with funk. Funkiness takes the reins up front and as it warms more and more tart fruit flavors come into play. The ending is very crisp.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a slick thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is great. I finished my glass very quickly and had absolutely no problem finishing the bottle.

Overall this didn't disappoinnt. It wasn't overpoweringly tart like some others I've had yet managed to be absurdly complex. Well worth a shot while it's still available.

3.81/5  rDev -12.2%

Bottled in December 2009. Sampled after Duck Duck Gooze and Boon Mariage Parfait Gueuze 2004. Notes from Friday.

A- Dark caramel orange with yeast floating around causing a hazy looking beer. Massive frothy head with huge bubbles and great retention builds and retains well. Tons of lace.

S- Hugely funky, more in the must basement/rotten way, but nice (lol). Vinegar/acetic notes in here with lemon, peach and floral notes amongst even more funk.

T- Sour funk bomb. Citrus fruit, lemon and straw really dominate this one to me. Very sour. Oak.

MF- Creamy light body that is very sour.

DB- Cheek puckering sour gueuze with a lot of funk. More straight forward than the other two. Will probably have it again in the future or try vintages.

Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze from Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen