Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Drie Fonteinen Oude Kriek | Brouwerij 3 Fonteinen

Added by rastaman on 09-27-2002

#541

Ratings: 1,175 |  Reviews: 340
2.03/5  rDev -52.9%

Let me start off this review by saying that the only other lambic I've had has been Lindemanns, which I liked alot, probably because it was quite sweet and reminded me of a fruit pie.

With that said, I was excited to try a "real" lambic to see what they were like. I have to say that I hated it and found it to be disgusting. I couldn't drink it and it became a very expensive drainpour.

In my review I tried to review it to style where appropriate, and found my comments similar to other reviewers, so I scored it accordingly in those areas.

Poured a pretty ruby red with just slight lacing into a snifter glass. 350 ml bottle dated 12/2005. So far so good.

Aromas of funk, hay, vinegar and a bit of cherry. I guess this is typical of the style.

The taste was horrible. I could only drink a few sips. Very funky barnyard mixed with sour/spoiled vinegar, and not sour in a good way like a nice balsamic would be. Funky aftertaste as well. Only a hint of cherries, and they were very sour.

Mouthfeel, from what I could drink, was lightly carbonated.

Overall, I couldn't drink this beer and poured it out. I guess that I'm not much for the funky Belgian ales, as I also disliked a Fantome Saison, which was also quite barnyardy.

So, take my review for what it's worth.

2.5/5  rDev -42%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Dark, ruby red, like wild cherries; no head at all

Aroma: Sour cherries and old wood

Taste: Tart, sour cherries; very dry throughout with oak barrel notes; very flat overall; not horrible, but not that great, either

Remarks: Bottled in 2006; bought in Strasbourg in 2011, so the sample may have been bad. I didn't like enough to look for another bottle.

Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

3.15/5  rDev -26.9%

2006 vintage poured into New Glarus flute.

A- Pours a deep ruby red that is completely transparent. Almost no head to speak of. No lacing of course.

S- A little funkiness, some tart cherries and some oak. I was expecting a little more going on with this one.

T- This is where the let down begins. I think this one has not aged well. There is a little bit of funk, some book dust and attic cobwebs, thanks Alcstradmus for adding those to my vernacular. A little cherry but more on the dried side than fresh tart. Seems as it might be oxidized.

M- Seems quite flat to me. I think some cherry juice has more carbonation than this. Lighter bodied but not dry on the finish like I was hoping.

D- I am glad I shared this but wish I hadn't plunked down as much cash as I did for this one. The result may differ for you but I won't be revisiting this one.

3.21/5  rDev -25.5%

Bottled March 2009

A: Dark ruby red. Zero head.

S: Tart, musty funk.

T: Mild sour, tart cherry skin, some vinegar with a bit of earthy funk.

M: Almost no carbonation. Mild pucker.

O: The lack of head and almost non-existent carbonation seems off. Almost flat...

3.23/5  rDev -25.1%

The beer pours a reddish amber color with good head retention and lacing. On the nose... OK, I've had a sufficient number of lambics and gueuze not to be surprised by what I smell, but this is really over the top. This beer smells for all the world like someone took a dump in my glass. The barnyard aroma in this beer is about as intense as I can ever recall encountering, and it completely drowns out the cherry aroma in this beer (though it's certainly there). It makes for an incredibly complex aroma profile, as well as an intensely pungent one. Given the nose, I was prepared for the flavor profile, even if I didn't care for it. The sour component completely dominates everything else on the palate, with just a hint of cherry and light lime. Personally, I think sour flavors can add something to a beer, as long as that's not all that I'm getting. In this case, all I got was sour, and even after just one small glass, I could really feel the acid from this beer in the pit of my stomach (talk about instant heartburn). Mouthfeel is fairly light, with a moderately long, dry, sour finish. Alcohol is completely unnoticeable in this beer.

An interesting beer I guess, and I'm glad I had the opportunity to try it, but this is another one of those intensely sour lambics, gueuze and wild ales that I just can't appreciate (or understand how anyone else could appreciate).

3.25/5  rDev -24.6%

3.32/5  rDev -23%

Wow. Simply put SOUR cherry beer. And very red; red in the head like the dick on a dog. Poured with a deep pink small to medium sized head that mostly subsided and a wee bit a lace. Color is a hazy/cloudy burnt red. Aroma is sour cherry yeast musty. Flavor is like aroma. The tartness totally dominates all of the other flavors. Which are cherries malt yeastoids. Good body and excellent carbonation. *burp* Finish is like flavor. Can't think, off hand, when I'd be in the mood for another of these, despite my score.

3.35/5  rDev -22.3%

Bottled April 2011

Just a little pop from the cork revealed a lighter red than expected pour with minimal lacing. It appears that only minimal carbonation was left after nearly five years of aging. Hardly any scent. Very tart and bitter, very acidic overall not that pleasant.

Having this fairly fresh or within a couple of years is a nice experience, having it aged does not seem worthwhile. There are definitely better choices out there.

3.4/5  rDev -21.1%

3.45/5  rDev -20%

375mL Lot 01 Bottled Feb. 2005. Pours an orange-red with minimal head. Aroma is tart cherries and wood. Flavor is very sour cherries and wood at first. Finishes very dry and tart. Not very complex, you are overwhelmed by sour cherries with woody undertones. A slight sweetness in there towards the finish but not much else.

3.48/5  rDev -19.3%

3.49/5  rDev -19%

The cage looks pretty old and the label says: 26 Februari 2005. It says that's the bottling date and it's good for ten years after that, so I have a 2005 vintage.

Pours a wonderful looking ruby red with a nice head, but lacing. The smell like a strong flavor of horse blanket and that's it. The taste isn't very tart, just a light sour, slightly fruity flavor with dominate horse blanket. The most horse blanket I have ever had in a beer before. The body is very light as well. The mouthfeel is nice, there's nothing bad about that. Overall drinkability isn't that high, but I would try again if I was in a Belgian mood and it was the best option.

3.49/5  rDev -19%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%

This was really strange for me, had a real stinky, dirty diaper nose, with a suggetsion of sour cherry. I foiund this to be a bit cloying and syrrupy even. strange taste that was a bit off-putting, very earthy and even a bit detergenty for some reason, i loved their gueuze, but couldn't really get into this one, still interesting, and on the whole pretty good, i will surely sample another day though.

Drie Fonteinen Oude Kriek from Brouwerij 3 Fonteinen