Armand'4 Oude Geuze Lente (Spring) | Brouwerij 3 Fonteinen

Armand'4 Oude Geuze Lente (Spring)Armand'4 Oude Geuze Lente (Spring)

Brouwerij 3 Fonteinen
3fonteinen.be

Style: Gueuze

"The first of four limited edition geuze blends using lambics brewed by 3 Fonteinen before the thermostat incident ceased brewing operations."

Added by alcstradamus on 05-01-2011

4.7

Bottle (2011)

Thanks for sharing this, Tim!

Side by side with the Zomer.

Faint haze throughout the gold and amber body. Quickly forming, tall, and persistent white head. Thin sheets and spots of lacing mess the glass.

Bright, explosive tart and sour aroma, though so rich, deep, layered, and complex: tart citrus, grass, earth and rock, body funk, and of course stinging, explosive sourness throughout. Though the Zomer smelled phenomenal, the Lente towered above it in aroma (at least, initially).

Taste follows the aroma very similarly: huge sour and tart character, lots of lemon, earth and rock, grass, musty body and funk, and the oak shines through more and more as the beer warms. A complete, sipping delight. Perfection.

Light to medium bodied, though incredibly well carbonated. Spritzy and light yet coating and full all at the same time. A joy.

A perfect gueuze. There is nothing to improve here. This beer left me speechless.

Purchased this bottle along with many others of its caliber for a small group tasting and it was definitely one of the stars! Probably the best Oude Geuze I have ever had! I would buy more of this in a heartbeat!

Shared all 3 Armand bottles with UrbanCaver, forgetfu, eyeenjoybeer and Caleb at Upland while picking up the Sour Reserve.

Pours a rich gold with copious amounts of bubbles cascading up the glass.

Wonderful funk smell. Sweaty gym sock, lots of dank earthy notes and some crisp apple/lemon flavors as well.

Wow. Oh I should write more than that. Ok. Everything in the nose comes through as well. Very dank and earthy funk throughout balanced perfectly by the crisp lemon/citrus zest. Finishes with a very clean crisp sourness.

Mouthfeel is spot on. A bit of body and heavy carbonation.

This is the most fantastic gueuze I've ever had and resisting the temptation to drink one again immediately. The best of the 3 we tried.

not even sure how i lucked myself into this one, but some crazy sours have been filling up my life recently. this one was no exception

hazy golden, amber color with a wonderful two inches of white foam that coated the glass and just soaked everything around it. simply perfect look in my snifter.

Just the most grand, funkified, tart, sour, vinegar like smell you could come across, but in a good way. Rich and complex there seemed to literally be no end in sight for the depth of this one. funky sour when I noticed some light fruit maybe coming into play, this was like a fine wine almost in aroma, I mean just insanely good. I am almost speechless, but I had to eventually stop smelling it and actually try it and It was just wonderful. Started out with a full on assault of sour funk, that rolled through the mouth, sucking up and puckering anything that it came in contact with, but once it got past, it opened you up to a whole world of woody flavors that were hidden underneath. There was some light fruitiness of some sour, perhaps grapes, or green apples, that you could start to pick up as it rolled along, This was not entirely unbalanced, far from it. In fact I think if you do not let this one warm up a bit, you are really cheating yourself out of how good it could be.really starting to show hints of the barrel aging, with nice wood notes coming through and it really getting a nice earthy feel to it.

Overall I was simply blown away by this one. It was easily the top three best sour ale I have ever had, and easily one of the best beers I have ever had hands down. Cannot even imagine what the rest of this series is gonna be like

11/11/11/ EDIT: Cracked a third bottle tonight and what I drank was not a perfect five. Noticed more vinegar notes this time which threw off the balance a bit. I would probably give it a 4.5 score. Not changing my review score yet though until I have a fourth bottle.

6/12/11 EDIT: Cracked a second bottle of this last night to see if I felt the same way about it the second time. Turns out I do. This is just an incredibly balanced, flavorful, and perfect gueuze. I am changing my score to a perfect 5 because it is everything I look for in a beer

5/16/11 ORIGINAL REVIEW:
Pours with a huge 3 finger head that leaves thick sheets of lacing

The aroma is powerful and starts of with a peppery biscuit note and some lemon and orange peel. Very earthy and dusty as well. Typical classic gueuze aroma.

The flavor is amazingly clean, breathtaking really. Peppery and lemon up front, followed by a clean orange peel and earthy finish. Very soft on the palate yet still lively. The finish is earthy and juicy, then a dryness sweeps over the palate leaving a mouth sucking oakiness in its wake. This reminds me of the best batches of 3 Fonteinen Geuze blended with the cleanliness of the best batches of Girardin Black Label.

The carbonation is very high but remains soft. Exactly what a gueuze should feel like as far as I'm concerned.

Overall I have nothing bad to say about this beer whatsoever, it is easily one of the top 2-3 bottles of gueuze I have ever drank, maybe even #1 (impossible to tell without a side-by-side which can never happen). I would probably score it a perfect 5 if it wasn't for the fact that I refuse to rate something a 5 without having it at least twice.

Armand'4 Oude Geuze Lente (Spring) from Brouwerij 3 Fonteinen