Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze Golden Blend | Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen

YOUR RATING = None |
Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze Golden BlendDrie Fonteinen Oude Geuze Golden Blend

Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen
Belgium | website

Style: Gueuze

The Golden Blend is made with 4 year old Lambic that accounts for 25 % of it’s contents, the rest of the blend is made up by a "secret" combination of 1, 2 and 3 year old Lambic.

The exact mixture is only known by the master-blender Armand himself.

The name "Golden Blend" is not far away from the truth, in fact, the 4 years of maturation in oak-wooden barrels is making this particular Lambic very expensive.

Due to the "evaporation" through the barrels, only a small percentage of the lambic is left over after 4 years of maturing.

Added by rvdoorn on 03-14-2012

Reviews: 176 | Ratings: 955
4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

A: this started as a big time gusher, with the cork flying off, but it stopped gushing without more than a small amount of foam coming off the top. It pours very cloudy golden orange color after being stirred up so much by the gushing, and it has a gigantic head even with a soft pour when it came right out of the fridge.

S: sourness, orange and lemon peel, and some funk. It's impressively fruity, and the smell really alludes to the sour taste.

T: fantastic sourness that hits hard right out front. After that I get some of the lemon peel and a very small amount of malt. I can't put my finger on it, but the sourness in this beer is fantastic and not abrasive, but still decently intense. It's like the sourness from eating a raspberry without the raspberry taste.

M: smooth, but still very well carbonated with fine bubbles that donate enough spritz to the mouthfeel to keep the sourness from sticking too much.

O: excellent beer with lower drinkability than other gueuze. Good thing since I've gotten it for $20-$25 per 375 ml bottle. I'll save a couple of these and have them in a few years if the bottles don't explode.

3.92/5  rDev -12.7%

375mL thanks to ygtbsm94. Pours hazy, deep orange. Thick, white head. Rich, super dense Valencia orange nose, thick and juicy. My lord. Taste is tangy, very musty, huge attic, huge molded white grapefruit. Quite aggressively sour. Rich and powerful. Great stuff. Heavier carbonation. Would love to see how this progresses. Have a good number saved. 9/4/7/4/15=3.9

4.53/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle date: 2/17/2011. Consumed on 11/16/2012
A: Hazy orange body with two finger white head. Good amount of lacing. Looks delicious.

S: Sour yeast, sweetness, oak, citrous, some barnyard funk.

T: Taste follows the nose, but it's not as sweet as expected. Also, it's not as sour or puckering as I expected. It's quite bready, you really get the oak/woody-ness. Sourness and the citrus (lemon) kick in again towards the middle and the finish. Very nice, although for some reason, I originallyl thought this beer would be more sour and mouth-puckering. Some reviewers below mention that this beer is tart, but I am not sure if I agree. It's for sure acidic, but it's more of acidic sourness than tartness, imo.

M: High carbonation, medium body, dry finish.

O: Glad I got to try this. Surprisingly easy to drink and refreshing.

4.42/5  rDev -1.6%

bottle (2011/02/17) to lawson's sniffer (my first sour thought I'd kick it off with a bang)

A: huge tan head (2in) that lingers for a long time and only goes down slightly. Its a nice golden amber color that reminds me of an IPA which is interesting to me but looks good to me

S: Its got a skunky bottom of the barrel funky aroma that would be off putting if it wasn't to style from what I know this is a good thing.

T: Its got a white wine like taste upfront but that mixes into an almost over powering funky taste that is most definitely sour but more like sour grapes that then anything else I can describe. The finish is kind of weird but it definitely has that funk to that I have been hearing so much about and a continuous of that same wine like taste. Seems pretty to style to me

M: It has a Champaign like carbonation but a Chard wine like feel and constancy, distpite all this its pretty drinkable and the carbonation balances out the funky flavors well

O: Okay so I definitely like sours there is a whole lot of tastes I usually don't like but together I like it a lot I feel like I am definitely going to have to come back once I know more about the style, but its quite the pricy rarity to try again so Im glad it was good the first time. 4

4.79/5  rDev +6.7%

From a 375 bottle (code: 2011-2-17) into a tulip.

Note-I should have read the reviews prior to opening, because I nearly lost an eye opening this thing. As soon as I loosed the cage, the cork shot out and the beer produced a mild gush of foam.

A-Crazy amounts of light tan foam that hung around for a bit in the glass. The beer itself is a golden color with orange hues. A bit cloudy on the pour with a few streams of carbonation to be seen.

S-Lactic (but not overly so), tart, and delicious. You get some oak and a lightly vinous smell to go along with the wet hay and light funkiness. There is a nice green apple component as well. Very concentrated and complex.

T-Also concentrated and complex, and with flavors similar to the smell. Finer and more delicate in flavor than some gueze, but with an amazing balance of lactic tartness, funkiness (wet hay and barnyard), bright fruit (green apples and tart, white grapes), and some bread/dough to carry it all.

M-The beer is medium bodied with a pretty chunk carbonation. The finish is drying and very, very long lasting.

O-If smell and taste were all I could rank, this beer would be near the tope of my list. The smell and taste are simply amazing in terms of concentration and complexity of flavors. The finish just goes on and on, like a great champagne. Alas, I did not find the beer to be particularly attractive and the mouthfeel was a little heavy to garner a perfect score. Is this thing worth 24 bucks? Probably not, but will I buy it again? Probably so.

375ml bottle from Etre Gourmet
Bottled on 2011
Poured into a Drie Fonteinen gueuze glass

Cork pops out of bottle immediately after removing metal cage and some gushing happens: be careful with this one.

Sampled side-by-side with a 2010 Drie Fonteinen Oude Gueuze.

Slightly more intense with tartness, sweetness, oakiness, and richness of flavors than the "typical" Drie Fonteinen gueuze, Golden Blend is a smooth and refined gueuze that is one of the pinnacles of the style. If the aroma was slightly more expressive, this could be near-perfect for me.

Looks virtually identical to its Oude Gueuze counterpart, perhaps a tad darker in color. Pours a fairly massive, tall head with fairly good retention of a few minutes. Head is off-white, eggshell, composed of large and medium-sized bubbles. As it descends, it leaves some streaks of lacing, with larger blotches near the body. Body is a golden yellow with a subtle orange tint, transparent if you don't add the yeast (cloudy otherwise). Nice, big bubbles of carbonation stream from the bottom of the glass to support the head.

Aroma is surprisingly sweet with oak undertones, some tangible tropical scents (pineapple) waft up, and there is some minor-key white pepper. This is substantially smoother, sweeter, and fruitier than the funkier, harsher Oude Gueuze. If you're looking for that compositing hay and organic matter scent in your gueuze, do not go for the Golden Blend.

Slightly more robust flavors overall, and smoother, with greater emphasis on wild yeast metabolites and pineapple-based tropical fruit: delicious, a definitely more "refined" version of their gueuze. Opens with meyer lemon like tartness, smooth wheat and pale malt base sweetness, and a bit of mixed tropical fruit flavor (pineapple, mango). Mid-palate of strong, fresh pineapple, white pepper, oak, with acidic and tart lemon juice. Back of palate is acidic and tart, with clear lemon juice and apple cider vinegar tones. Lingering aftertaste of subtle pale malts with lightly acidic tartness.

Beer is medium-bodied, with medium to medium-low levels of carbonation. The result is a smooth, crisp beer from the acidity, where the carbonation does not get in the way. Finishes very dry, as expected from the style.

4.54/5  rDev +1.1%

375mL bottle poured into tulip - thanks rob

Pours a lightly hazed golden straw color with a thin layering of white head resting on top. Fades into a collar of retained film, leaving some spotty lacing on the glass.

Incredible nose jam-packed with heavy funk and bright, effervescent tartness. Grass, hay and funky yeast punctuated by green apple and lemon peel. I could literally sit and smell this beer for an hour - it took me nearly 5 minutes just to take a sip.

Bright acidic tartness hits the tongue immediately with lemon peel and green apple. Formidable funkiness with yeast, hay and barnyard. Straw and grass with continuing sourness throughout the whole profile. Dry and bubbly on the tongue, finishing with strong, lingering sour flavor.

Medium body, well carbonated, dry and lasting on the tongue. This really takes the typical 3F Oude Gueuze (which is already a great beer) to a new level, adding depth of flavor driven by a phenomenal nose.

4.05/5  rDev -9.8%

Thanks to JealousChalice for this one

Look. Pours a golden yellowish orange color with a 1/2 inch fluffy head and exceptional retention. The beers is highly carbonated and the cork actual hit my ceiling when opened

Smell. Upfront is a lactic sourness followed up by some lemon, hay, and oak

Taste: upfront is some lemon tartness backed up by some toasted oak wet grass and some more sour citrus

Mouthfeel. Light in body and ample carbonation and a puckering sourness

Overall. I enjoyed with one quite a bit and actually purchased a few for myself. Highly recommended.

4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

1600th Review on BA
Bottle to Pinot Glass
375ml

Lot Number: 02/17/11
Purchased from City Beer Store in SF for 22.99
The cork & cage shot out like a cannon!!!! Be warned

App- When the foam settled on this one it was more of a dark and ruddy orange with a bit of highlighted yellows around the edges. The orange stuck out a lot and the center was a good bit of a thicker look to it. The edges were a bit lighter and then left a nice bit of cling.

Smell- Well it was a gueuze. It had the oak mixed in. It was pretty much what I thought it would be, but just a bit thicker. A bit malty for me with a good matching amount of grass and barn aromas.

Taste- This was a very good beer. I wish I couldve went 5 but it was a bit too thick for me against the style. It was not Lente but it was damn close. The dryness of the style matched against the earthy herbalness created a great depth of flavor and left me wanthing more. I am a litle sad this wasnt a 750, but I think the $$ wouldve driven me away from it.

Mouth- For a gueuze it is a bit thick but this is a nice medium body with a fulll medium carbonation. The residual flavors are of earthy grass with a good amount of barnyard funk and a bit of oak behind it.

Drink- I really enjoyed this beer. It had so much layering and so much great depth of flavor behind it. The dryness paired with the earthy barnyard just made this really tasty. Served at cellar temp I fear it was a bit too warm. Next time a bit colder.

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance- Golden and hazy, with a 2 finger bright white head. Nice lacing on the glass.

Smell- Lactic sourness is behind lots of lemon, grass, mustiness and barnyard funk qualities. Good stuff.

Taste- Way more sour punch than I was expecting. Very dry finish as well, leaves you wanting another sip right away. Big lemony tartness and a bit of oak are in there as well.

Mouthfeel- lively carbonation and light body, nice and refreshing

Overall- An excellent beer, but I'm not sure if it's worth the price tag. I can't fault it for anything really, but I just don't think it is worth breaking the bank over. There are plenty of other great guezes out there that are very good and cost much less than this one. That said, if you have the means to stock up on this stuff, I'd go ahead and do that. I'm looking forward to trying my second bottle a few years down the road.

4.27/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours a dark, golden orange color with a medium white head that goes down slowly. Scent is oh so funky...which is expected from a 3F beer. Not nearly as funky as some of the Krieks I've had from them, but more of a pleasant, non-stinky sock type funk. More barnyard and hay than anything. Great funky with some acidic aromas. Also get some peach and apricot in the nose, maybe a bit of grass as well. What a great-smelling beer. Taste is just as good. Great funky/sour flavors with some grass and hay. Some stone fruit flavors, but very subdued. This beer is sour, but not as sour as I was expecting. Maybe even a little less sour than the regular Gueuze from 3F. Not too acidic, and quite dry on the finish. A very well-crafted gueuze IMO. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, puckering, and dry. Drinkability is VERY high...could sip on this all day. Overall, this is a fantastic beer, but not sure if it's worth the price tag. It needs to make the normal offering from 3F feel shameful in order to charge double for this one, and it does not. I am just as happy with the Kriek and Gueuze. Glad I got to try it though.

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

Pours a mostly clear orange/gold with a thin white head. Aroma is fantastic - great mix of oak, sour and funk that literally makes my mouth water - pretty much a perfect smell for a gueuze. So excited to drink this. Flavor follows the nose - it's always so tough to describe what distinguishes one gueuze from the next, but I'll do my best. I'll say, right out, this one is a great one though. The balance here is fantastic, it's got a nice blend of funk and sour and the oak mixes in very impressively. It's got some notes of lemons and apples too. The mouthfeel is medium-bodied, but it's nicely mouth-coating. Overall, this is a top notch gueuze that has a lot going on and a fantastic balance of flavor. I feel like it tastes a bit like the regular 3F gueuze with the sour, funk and oak all more pronounced.

4.17/5  rDev -7.1%

Explosive bang upon untwisting the cage, and a second later, the chilled bottle began gushing. Luckily a glass was nearby and the loss was negligible.

Deep saturated orange color, slight haze, steady trails of champagne carbonation. Initial head of billowing foam that threatened to overflow, but eventually subsides to a gentle skim across the surface. Not much lacing, odd as it was poured into a clean dry glass.

Complex aroma of oak and citrus, hints at tropical fruitiness. The older lambic lends a pleasant rounded mellowness to the nose.

Extremely dry with a clean sourness, plenty of oak and more fruit in the bitter citrus peel vein. Very balanced with a rounded feel on the palate. Flavors are very much standard issue Drie Fonteinen, signature minerality and firm dry oak in addition to light citrus. This blend is a fun novelty to try, albeit a pricey one. At least it's going towards brewing on-site again, so it's easier on the conscience when dropping the coin to try it.

375ml corked and caged bottle poured into tulip 19/10/12

A slightly hazy golden orange with loads of bubbles and a large three finger soapy foam, decent retention and a few patches of lace

S funky with lots of wood lemon, sour apple, pear and vinous vinegar, faint foot and just a little cheesy, funk come out more as it warms, great nose if you like funk

T bone dry sour beer, not turning my mouth inside out but pretty sour, lots of wood and lemon, pretty tasty stuff with some more vinous notes and some cider notes then the nose

M very carbonated with a little lip smacking pucker going on, sour and dry, a little slick in the mouth with a long sour citrus and oak finish

O great stuff but I don't think its any better then the Oude Geuze that cost half as much, its world class beer but I don't notice a huge difference from the above mentioned. I'm sure some who read this will laugh and call me a rookie but I find the two similar

I'm going to read my Oude Geuze review and see what I thought was different because this reminds me of that brew I drank just a day or two ago but cost much more money.
A great beer please don't get me wrong great complexity and leaves you thinking

Edit- I gave it the exact same score right down the middle and didn't notice, similar experience

4.49/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's often the delimma of a sour ale fan to achieve the exclusive taste of unblended lambic, but with gueuze like zest. Drie Fontienen answers the that question with this blend of four years of blends that culminate in exquisite earthiness and sharp complexities that are simply unparalleled.

The burnt orange hued beer pours with the carbonated creaminess that's expected from a well made gueuse. So if you are expecting a more still lambic stillness then expect a slight champagne livelihood. As the carbonation builds a creamy, cottony head, a swirl of the glass leaves traces of the Belgiany lace that we've come to expect. Solid retention accompanies the beer 'til the end of the glass.

The bold sourness of the beer reveal the unadulterated scents of dried limes, lemons, crab apples, rhubarb, and citrus. But a deeply embedded grouping of aromatics reveal more earthen character: saddle leather, dusty woods, and cork all play into the scent that's both fragrant and pungent.

The decadent tastes start with the sweet and tawny interplay of white wine, cider, and dry wheat. Pile on the sourness of citrus, white wine vinegar, under ripened apples and berries and we have the majority of the taste. But then there's the earthy components of dried hay, sea brine, sandalwood, corkish wood, and chardonnay soaked oak that round out the taste. It's a fairly consistent beer as it traverses from it's initial impressions until its ultra-dry taste in finish.

But here's where the real secret of this beer separates from other world class gueuze: The fine carbonation resonates through a somewhat silky-sour note that's never been expected before. With no carbonic bite (as with champagne), the beer delivers a teeth-churning sensation that couples with the most delightful powdery-sour marriage that could ever be expected in a beer. It's simply magic what this beer does the the trigemental senses to the mouth.

Although the subtleties that this four-year blend gives is very well appreciated, I do think that this is not the beer for the uninitiated. Reserve this refined ale for those who are well versed in well made gueuze and lambics before opening- and be sure to have some steamed mussels and well aged gruyere on hand.

Bottled: 2011/02/17

Upon loosening the cage, the cork came out with a loud pop. Lots of pressure but not a gusher at all. Pours a very hazy, dark golden orange color with tangerine edges and a two finger yellowish-beige head that slowly settles into a thick, lasting ring. Streaks of soapy lacing left behind.

Musty, funky aroma with a strong barnyard presence along with lactic funk, citric acidity and light fruit. Earthy with lots of oak, cobweb, grass, wet hay and horsebkanket followed by lactic cheese, lemon juice and green apple. Smells very inviting but it seems like the four year old portion of the blend tones things down a bit.

On the fuller end of medium bodied with tight carbonation and a tart, puckering flavor that lingers over the lactic funk, citrus, light fruit and pale malt into a crisp, dry finish. Aggressively sour at first but not harsh or overly acidic with lots of earthy oak, lactic funk and sweet citrus balancing things out. As it warms, the lactic cheesy presence stands out a bit more and the citrus acidity becomes a bit more tart. Earthy with toasted oak, grass and hay notes countered by lemon peel and green apple flavors. Funky and sour but well balanced and very quaffable and refreshing once the palate adjusts. I could drink gallons of this stuff if it wasn't so damn expensive.

4.97/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured from bottle into Jester King Farmhouse glass. Pours a hazy orange color- small bubbles retain in the head. Looks like most gueuze so far. Small- vinegar funk, funky/hard cheese, tart. Taste- up front a slight vinegar tartness, followed by a sweet malt with tight carbonation, finished by a green apple sour finish. This is an exquisite gueuze. So smooth, well done.

4.32/5  rDev -3.8%

Thanks to two very generous BAs, Jeffo and Alpineclimber, for getting me the two bottles of this beer. So nice to be able to cellar one of these expensive bottles for a while.

Poured into my gueuze glass with the big "3" on it.

Appearance. Pours a hazy, rich honey-gold with a little amber and a finger of frothy white head.

Smell. Tart lemon, some old wet wood and earthy, lightly sweet funk.

Taste. Lots of nice lightly bitter wood, dry earthy funk, and some lemon juice.

Mouthfeel. Medium body, medium carbonation.

Overall. Another great gueuze. I've been lucky enough to have several lately and though this one doesn't stand out from the others as much as I would have hoped, it was a very delicious, well made brew. Thanks again to the great BAs that got me bottles of this.

4.42/5  rDev -1.6%

Bottled February 17, 2011.

Beer is dark golden in colour with a medium-sized white head. Head recedes but never fully disappears: a large white rim remains.

Smell is funky, with real barnyard and horse blanket scents abounding. Lemon is prominent, and a bit of oak is there. Very nice. A classic gueuze smell and really enjoyable.

Taste is great. Quite funky, barnyard flavour, with tart lemon. Fairly sour. Crisp wheat flavours there as well. Finish is very dry.

Medium bodied, low to moderate carbonation. Tart, puckery- really dries the mouth.

Overall, really good. Really enjoyed this one.

4.23/5  rDev -5.8%

Bottle date: 2011/02/17

A: Pours an apricot color with one full finger of puffy white head. The foam takes a bit to settle, leaving some really nice lacing along the edges of the glass as it drinks.

S: The nose is lemon, salt, vinegar, grass, and other funks. It's sour, and it smells like a geuze. Who would have thought.

T: It starts off light and smooth on the palate, but less than a second later it's a big burst of sour lemon, salt, and bitters. It's drying and even a bit spicy in the middle. The finish is mild sweetness mixed with huge bitters.

M: Light bodied beer. It's not a hefty beer, but it is a definite palate wrecker. Dry in the middle, and super dry in the finish.

O: Really nice geuze, but I don't know if it's worth the extra money over the classic. I'm happy to have tried it, and I'd only really buy another bottle to throw in the cellar for awhile.

4.42/5  rDev -1.6%

pour is slightly hazed dark golden orange with a tight light tan head. The nose has tons of cheese, rather "rindy," and a light dusty funk behind. Golden fruits, apricot, pear, and peach. A light vinegar note underneath. The taste is slightly more muted than the nose, the funk isn't as bright but still an assertive cheese rind with more cob webby funk. The apricot and golden fruits are intertwined very well. The finish is dry and well carbonated, the body is light and bubbly on the tongue.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Side by side with the regular oude gueuze. Gold pour, very slight haze, white head. Aroma is quite woody, green pepper, oak, smells a bit old already. Regular 3F funk, taste is sour, woody, a tad dryer than the regular oude gueuze. Lots of bugs. Palate is effervescent with full body. I prefered it to the regular. Less sharp and citrus, more wood, bugs and refinement. Might not quite be worth it’s price but very good indeed.

4.42/5  rDev -1.6%

A - Golden colored beer that's a little bit orange in the right light. Small white head that fades to a partial cap and lives a ring around the sides.

S - Nice funk, barnyard, some citrus, touch of sweetness. Smells great.

T - Taste is very nice. There's a good dose of funk and horseblanket, bit more citrus sweetness than a lot of Gueuzes I've had before, but it's a nice change, somewhat tart. There's a lasting sourness on the end.

M - Active carbonation, slightly syrupy, lighter side of medium bodied.

O - Great beer, very much enjoyed it. More citrusy than a lot of high quality Gueuzes, but it doesn't get in the way of the great funk and barnyard taste. Would drink this regularly if given the chance.

4.72/5  rDev +5.1%

375 mL bottle, with a bottled on date of 2011/02/17. Just as a warning, this cork shot straight off the second the cage was untwisted, so beware and be ready to pour.

A: Pours a golden straw color with 3 fingers worth of quickly foaming head that settles down just as quickly as it came. Expected with the style

S: As expected, a good amount of barnyard funkiness, horse blanket, sourness, and light fruitiness

T: Plenty of funk, sourness, and oak. Layers of different flavors that all come from those nice little wild bugs. Every sip is something slightly different from the last

M: Light-medium bodied with the usual plentiful gueuze carbonation. The oak smooths it out a little, but it is still very carbonated

O: What an experience. This blend is really something special. The addition of the 4 year lambic puts this on a whole new level. It sucks that most of it evaporated, but what is left is a treat. Worth the price if only to try this once

4.97/5  rDev +10.7%

What an amazing Gueuze by Drie Fonteinen, Armand really out did himself with this blend. An amazing crisp taste to it from the second the cork pops off till the last drop in your glass. Appearance is a deep golden yellow that captivates the viewer with bewilderment as it has the appearance of an elixir. The smell wakes up the nose with citrus notes with lemon and beyond. The taste bring additional citrus notes along with tart and sour notes of a gueuze all perfectly working together to create one hell of a brew. After the bottle was consumed, I thought back on what beer could top this in my list, and nothing could hold up to this. Seek this brew out as it is one of the best out there. Next time I would like to try it side by side with 3F normal Oude Gueuze.

Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze Golden Blend from Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen