Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze - Armand & Tommy | Brouwerij 3 Fonteinen

Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze - Armand & TommyDrie Fonteinen Oude Geuze - Armand & Tommy

Brouwerij 3 Fonteinen
3fonteinen.be

Style: Gueuze

Added by MasterSki on 05-10-2012

4.5

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 53 | Ratings: 311
4.45/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Review #2450. Thanks to Jason for sharing this on a random Thursday night. Served in tulip.

A - Big white foam that has nice retention and settles to a solid cap, leaving behind spotty lace. Murky orange body.

S - A mix of horsey funk, green apples, stone fruit sweetness, light grain, some dusty basement, as well as some pungent, earthy, musky notes. Lots of green barnyard funk, and some mild lemon sourness.

T - Taste has more lemony sourness, stone and tropical fruit sweetness, lots of dirty socks and earthy barnyard, kiss of oak. You can perceive the relationship to the Armand'4 series, but this seems significantly more sour - guessing that was due to Tomme's input? He certainly loves acidity.

M - Medium body, lively carbonation, dry and tannic texture, and no obvious alcohol.

D - A superior gueuze, with a more sourness than you'd expect from a young Drie Fonteinen offering. I greatly enjoyed my multiple pours of this one and may need to track down a bottle for myself. Thanks a bunch Jason!

3.87/5  rDev -14%

I first had this at Sour & Bitter in May 2012 and scored it a 2.93 overall. I found it somewhat too acidic for my tastes, and the feel was too bubbly and champagne like. We had another bottle in March 2013 and I enjoyed it much more, so I've edited my score. Either the beer has improved in the bottle already, or my tastes have changed.

From a 75cl bottle into a beer glass.
Bottled 17 February 2011

APPEARANCE: Pours a large, fluffy white head with good retention. Cloudy gamboge orange in color. Head eventually fades to a wisp that remains until the end and leaves some nice lacing down the sides of the glass.

SMELL Very funky for sure, with some sour vinegar notes as well. Light lemon citrus qualities show through as well and soome sour green apples, but these are somewhat outplayed. Bold and definitely piercing. Enticing for sure.

TASTE: Lemon, citrus and funky barnyard flavors up front. Lots of sourness at the swallow with a bold but relatively dry finish of sour lemon and a light, floral hop bitterness. Not nearly as acidic as I remember it fresh off the press, but an acidic bite is still there at the swallow. Plenty of complexity here, with lots of sourness and citrus lemon flavors lingering nicely. Enjoyable.

PALATE: Medium body and higher levels of carbonation. Not as champagne-like as when fresh, but still lighter with more than enough carbonation for the style. Creamy enough on the palate, goes down fine, much smoother than before, and finishes slightly dry.

OVERALL: While I found this one to be the most difficult and displeasing of the night at S&B, a year later, I enjoyed this much more. The flavor seems more complex and the acidity has died down some. Either that, or my palate has changed enough that I interpret it differently. The feel has also mellowed out a touch, making it easier and more enjoyable to drink. I enjoyed this one much more than I thought I would, and I'd be glad to see what some more time in the bottle does here. Recommended.

4.11/5  rDev -8.7%

Yet another awesome beer at Sour and Bitter. Poured into my stemless wine glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden amber color with two fingers of thick white head and good retention. As the head fades it leaves some nice lacing on the glass.

Smell: Funk with some sweet malt. No real citrus tartness. Mild alcohol in there as well.

Taste: Some tartness here unlike the smell. Funk with an aged hop bitterness. The finish is rather funky and tart. Quite nice.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with fluffy carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: A bit more tartness would have been ok, but that's just nitpicking. I would love to have more in the future.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last