Drie Fonteinen Millennium Geuze | Brouwerij 3 Fonteinen

3fonteinen.be

Style: Gueuze

Added by truthbrew on 08-08-2003

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Bottle: Poured a hazy dirty yellowish color lambic with a generous foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of Brett notes with some horse blanket notes with some tart notes also discernible. Taste is a very nice mix between some tart notes with light oak undertones, some horse blanket and wet leather notes offset by light green apple notes. Body is about average for style with good carbonation. I am surprised this has hold on after so many years. I really enjoyed the mix between the complex notes of wild yeast and the perfect drinkability level.

4.21/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Big thanks to Phyl21ca for sharing this

Appearance - Golden colour with a small size fizzy white coloured head. There is a low amount of carbonation showing and there isn't much lacing.

Smell - Yeast, breads/grains, lemon, funk

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste bread/grains, vinegar, lemon juice/zest and a dry yeastiness. There are also some grassy/herbal notes and a touch funk.

Overall – Incredibly drinkable and very well balanced. It's easy to see why this beer is rated as highly as it is, very well crafted.

4.86/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

750ml from Lambic basket into 3 Fonteinen glass at Grote Dorst

This is the empyrean, the height of my ticking career. I took 2 trains, a bus, and was given a ride the rest of the way by a local baker and his son who did me a solid. In other words, don't be a dumbass like me and rent a car. When I finally got there I was greeted by a convivial scene: a small, local, family-run pub that happens to house one of the great Lambic and Gueuze cellars. Did I mention it was hot as balls? Now that my novella is over, to the beer:

Cloudy off yellow with ample head and good lacing. This one was a bit of a gusher? The only other thing to say about this beer is how well rounded and delicious it was. Worth the hassel. And I could have drank a bucket of it, it was so goddamn hot.
Go soon as I think this was one of the last bottles at Grote Dorst.

4.91/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

750 ml bottle at Grote Dorst, bottled in 1998, served in a wine glass.

A- Pours a hazy golden color, with an 1.5 inches of billowing white head, really awesome retention and lacing.

S- Just ridiculously awesome. At first it's very dominated by a soft, earthy, damp wood / forest floor funkiness, also some dry hay / sawdust funk. Some honey and a bit of mineral flavor. As it warms up a very prominent and distinct pear aroma comes out, which I don't think I've ever gotten in a gueuze before. This has got to be one of the most complex aromas I've ever found in any lambic or gueuze.

T- Soft acidity, very lactic and dry along with a bit of lemon. Way less sour than I was expecting. Much more emphasis on damp, earthy, forest floor funkiness. Mild herbal flavors. Some chalkiness / mineral flavor towards the finish. I'm a huge fan of 3F's forest floor funky flavors, so this was pretty perfect for me.

M- Medium-bodied, soft feel with moderate carbonation, very dry at the finish.

O- Just an amazing beer. Huge complexity and wonderful flavors, especially focusing on the earthy funk flavors really did it for me. Of all the old 3F beers from this period, this has held up the best and is easily my favorite. One of the best lambics I've had.

4.25/5  rDev -6%