Worthy Adversary | Fulton Beer

Minnesota, United States
fultonbeer.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by feloniousmonk on 03-29-2010

Had on tap tonight at The Hanger Room.

Poured through a randall into my Fulton pint glass. Basically a randall is a vessel. In the vessel was fresh Peace whole coffee beans with fresh whole bean vanilla. The beer passes through each then pours into your glass.

I will start my review by saying that I have heard of this beer before I have ever tried it. Reviews were epic type shit(word of mouth) , Paul Bunyon and Babe The Blue Ox. Needless to say I was excited to get my snicker bar type piano fingers around it.

Holy Lord. Accusations were true. Deep dark jet black. Three fingers of mocha head. Two feet away I can smell the coffee. Pretty much ridiculous. Upon taste the brew is slightly hop forward. That boils down to un-noticeable. Rich coffee notes and vanilla unfold. It smells epic. In the mouth the rich coffee and vanilla are prevalent but they also give way to chocolate and roast. Not heavily but certainly noticeable.

It is rarely I am wowed in a beer. All I can say is holy fuck this is good.

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

One of the best RIS in the country.

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

Appearance: Black, good head, good lacing.

Smell: Big chocolate smell, some coffee.

Taste: Big sweet chocolate and coffee from start to finish. I like big stouts on the sweet side, and this really hits the spot.

Mouthfeel: Substantial, pretty thick.

Drinkability: Very tasty, only on tap right now.

Tried this at the Hanger Room in Willernie, and was really wowed by the beer. Chocolatey, coffee, not too sweet and not too bitter. Really impressed by this one.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Bright dark brown under a finely bubbled 2” tan foam collar that leaves Guinness quality lace.
S: alcohol, faint coffee, chocolate
T: Deliscious grain, espresso, chocolate creaminess. Has a nice grain in the background – oily in a good way.
F: Very rich and creamy medium low carbonation but fine and soft – almost nitro quality, full body to chewy. Some alcohol warming.
O: It has an excellent balance of grainy malt, espresso, and chocolate

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: Poured into large snifter: reddish brown/black with minimal, dissipating brown head

S: Strong smell coffee/espresso and malt

T: Delivers what the nose lead me to believe - great, strong imperial stout style malt with espresso.

F: Slightly thicker than other Imp Stouts I've had recently. Slides over the tongue with light carbonation.

O: Best surprise in my quest for an Imperial Stout this season! Definitely recommend if you are looking for the coffee-esque imperial stout without the overpowering alcohol.

4.74/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer surprised me, It was much better than I was anticipating. Complex and sticky lwith Carmel notes, rich and flavorful. I would definitely seek this out over some other highly rated RIS.

4.65/5  rDev +12.9%

Reviewed from notes taken at the Minneapolis Republic. Poured from the tap into a pint glass on 6/25/11.

Pours as dark as night with 2 fingers of mocha colored head that dissipates leaving little lacing but a thick oily resin on the glass. Just a wonderful presentation.

Smell is tons of roasted malt and chocolate as well as an awesome mix of coffee. As it warms this beer gets better and better, with tons of chocolate goodness. Great smell as well.

Taste is the same as the smell and just as great. Tons of sweet roasted malt and chocolate as well as some coffee flavors. Wow what can I say just awesome.

Mouthfeel is light to moderate... It looks smells and tastes like an Imperial stout and it even leaves a nice choco/coffee resin on the pallet but it has a very nice carbonation and is so lite as far as weight and density. It really makes you want to drink more and is refreshing even though you are getting slammed with taste. Top notch.

Overall this is one of the best Imperial Stout's that I have ever had. In fact it is now my favorite stout. Yes even more so then Darkness, Dark Lord, or Abyss and I absolutely love Abyss. I can't wait until Fulton starts bottling their beers. This is an absolutely must have if you are ever in the Minneapolis/Saint Paul area.

4.64/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.6/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.59/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks so much to Audiophile for sending me this local goodie. I have to start this review with: OH MY GOD! This beer is amazing. I've drank a lot of renowned stouts lately, and this one is in my top 3.

A: Dark, completely opaque, but not quite oil-black. Nice tan coffee head, and beautiful lacing.

S: Dark fruit. Raisins and plums. But not too sickly sweet, but very sweet. Quite different smelling then tasting.

T: Oh man, this one is special. It follows the nose - dark fruits. Raisins and plums. However, you get that sweet coffee bite at the end of the sip, and chocolate and toasted malts. The 9.5% ABV is nearly invisible in this stout. Once again, this beer is a treat. The after taste is almost purely roasted malt. I need Audiophile to send me more!

M: This is by far the best mouth feel of any stout that I've ever had. I have drank BCBS, BCBCS, Dark Lord '10, Lil' B, and Williamsburg Cafe Royale in the past month. This one is sweeter than saccharine (not literally). Medium feel, not too heavy, not too light, just perfect. It's still full, and leaves a little 'thickness' in your mouth a few minutes after a sip. Once again, near impeccable.

O: This one is a rare one. Find anyone you know in Minnesota and beg them to search all their bottle shops for this. I'm not quite sure why I've never heard of it before, I asked Audiophile to find me a rare, local stout, and he couldn't have done any better. This beer deserves to be a hit. Out of the 5 aforementioned stouts, this one easily takes second behind BCBCS. If anything deserves to be named worthy adversary, it is this.

4.59/5  rDev +11.4%

No known freshness dating.

A= Pours a very very thick looking black color with a thin skin of head slowly rising out of it. At first it looked flat but the head does slowly rise out with little retention and lacing on the glass.

S= The smell is a wonderful nutty sort of roastyness to it. Coffee and a nice chocolatey sweetness to it. It has a sort of milk chocolate type aroma to it I think. There is an indescribale softness to it.

T= The taste is again wonderful. All the flavors in the nose come through as well as the sort of softness that I can't really describe. The roast is the most dominate flavor in the taste and the milk chocolate I got from the nose is still there. A really amazing beer.

M= Well done. Not nearly as flat as I expected.

O= From a brewery that I was a little dissapointed with at first this beer is a home run. This is just plain tasty. It's not the big over the top type imperial stouts that make the BA Top 100 but it's a well done beer which is Fulton's niche I think. This baby is good. The best from them I've had so far I would say. I was lucky enough to try a mint chocolate chip version of this at one point and it was mind blowing so I had high expectations. This meets those expectations. This actually may be one of my new favorite beers.

4.57/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Worthy Adversary from Fulton Beer