Hinano | Brasserie de Tahiti S.A.

poor
HinanoHinano

Brasserie de Tahiti S.A.
French Polynesia | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 08-25-2002

Reviews: 85 | Ratings: 160
3.2/5  rDev +16.4%

A: A very nice pale clear yellow with plenty of course, white head. Retention is average.

S: Smells simple, clean, BALANCED and boring. But heh, sometimes I don't want adventure.

T: This beer is misunderstood. Its beauty is in the simplicity. It has wonderful malt/hop balance. My mind said "THIS IS BEER". Nothing more, nothing less. I don't know why they had to go to Tahiti to make it but thats ok with me. There also seems to be hints of quality pleading out to me trying to make their presence known. Its there. What's this? Lacing? Quality indeed. Like Bud but better. Slightly watery.

M: Medium bodied mouthfeel with high CO2 that gives it some desperately needed adventure. If feels like they have added rice to the equation giving it some snap.

D: Like drinking water baby!

I have always wondered why Bud doesn't come out with a higher quality version of their beer without all of the preservatives and crap. Budweiser Premium. Thats what this beer remind me of.

1.5/5  rDev -45.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bottle: Poured a light blonde color lager with a pure white foamy head with some good retention and minimal lacing. Aroma of semi-sweet malt is mostly bland. Taste is also dominated by some semi-sweet notes of malt with little else if maybe some traces of oxidation. Definitely not the worst pale lager I had but not the most interesting either.

1.43/5  rDev -48%

Poured from 12oz bottle marked best before 08/13/08 into a Nonic Glass.

Formed a nice 2" head at first that died down to lacing on sides of glass and atop the beer. Color is very light yellow and very clear.

Smell is of malts and corn, not unlike a BMC brew. Taste follows smell. Very week on palate - almost watery. Aftertaste is not pleasant and i only drink more to temporarily kill aftertaste.

I've heard a lot about this brew, now I am questioning the people who recommended it. I'm cutting out the middle man on this one and gonna pour rest out.

2.05/5  rDev -25.5%

Appearance: Lovely golden color, undercut by the weak head of large fizzy bubbles that vanishes almost instantly.

Smell: Corn adjunct smell is there, but subtler than most in this style. Notes of fresh hay. Slightly medicinal.

Taste: Flat, uncharacteristic, and bland. No zing. The aftertaste is slightly disagreeable, like wet burlap.

Mouthfeel: Dry and bracing, although somehow that aftertaste clings to the walls of the mouth.

Drinkability: Hold your nose until the 2nd or 3rd, and then you'll be fine. But that's not really the point, is it?

2.9/5  rDev +5.5%

The beer after its release from the 50cl bottle is a very pale yellow with a smallish creamy white head that measures about three quarters of an inch, as it fades quickly, the lacing is thin and patchy. Nose is the archetypal sweet malt; light and pleasant, start is sweet, thin malt presence with the top cadaverous. Finish has a mild acidity, the hops barely there, a bit watery with the aftertaste dry. The beer is what I would expect from this part of the world, just don’t see myself drinking an Russian Imperial Stout while laying on the beautiful sandy beach watching the sun slowly sink over the horizon, in my younger days, I would have added a few Tahitian beauties. lol

3.1/5  rDev +12.7%

This was brought DIRECT from Tahiti to me by my friend Jeff-Thanks!
Aroma-smells like a lager, crisp nose with some hops there.
Appearance-Light yellow color with a nice white head.
Tastes like a macro lager. Very light body, a froth sweetens it up a little. Finishes clean. Nothing fancy but very refreshing and probably goes down nicely while sitting on a nice deserted beach in Bora-Bora! Cheers.

2.55/5  rDev -7.3%

16.9 oz. bottle- color of bright yellow , with a frothy white head - nose is grassy , maltly , some detergent , oats , slight sweetness , and mild hops – taste of grass , soapy , mild hops , and slightly acidic - body is light , with some acidity , and with medium carbonation – aftertaste of white semi sweet wine , mild hops and grasses

2.5/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Heading south again tonight, from NZ to Tahiti. I've been told it's a generic island lager, and I figured it might be just the order on the first 90 degree day of the year.
Pours a pale straw color with the slightest hint of a white fizzy head. Not much in the way of aroma - a bit of cheap malt, that's about it. Palate is nondescript - light malt, a little chalkiness, and, as others have remarked, a light chemical taste on the finish. Body is light and a little foamy. Not an experience I wish to repeat.

2.61/5  rDev -5.1%

Why does this happen so often? People go off to distant lands, get hot and sweaty, drink the local suds, are thrilled with the magical refreshment qualities of the exotic elixir, then make noise about importing it to bestow its blessing on all those ignorant domestic drinkers. The sad thing is, the pale imitation Pilsner that is brewed across the globe is rarely interesting enough to justify the expense of exportation. Don't get me wrong, I have had some interesting tropical lager, and I was glad to get it, but I firmly believe that the Tahitian beer is best enjoyed in Tahiti mostly because it means you're in Tahiti. Another sad thing is that consumers see the exotic labels in the store and go all dreamy-eyed with notions of drinking in the flavors of the islands when what they are getting is not much different (but much more expensive) from the 18-pack of Bud four steps to the left.

This beer is thin and watery and fizzy and crisply dry going down. Just the thing if you're hot and sweaty, luckily I was. I noticed an odd chemicaly aspect to the finish that put me off. Otherwise, it's cold and wet and malt-flavored. Drinkable, yes. Unremarkable, yes again.

2.54/5  rDev -7.6%

The Golden Invitational resumes tonight with the South Pacific's offering: Hinano. Brewed in Tahiti (part of French Polynesia), it's imported by a group whose address is just a few miles from where I live! I thought that note was pretty cool. But anyway, this is the third of four competitors in this Invitational, and hopes to overtake Golden Pheasant for the leading score. On to the beer:

Pours a clear golden pale color into a pilsner glass. Lots of live carbonation in the body, and despite the fizziness, the head retention isn't half bad. A little skunk rises from the beer, but it's mostly adjuncty. The flavor is decent; grainy/cereal like, blended with a subtle corn sweetness. Hop bitterness is citrus-like, and kicks in at the end of each sip, balancing out the sweetness. Feels a bit overcarbonated, however it's a fair drinker.

Bière de Luxe? Don't think so. The brew isn't all that bad, but don't be fooled by that tag or the exotic notion of it being brewed in Tahiti.

Hinano fails to deliver a great brew to overtake the lead. The Golden Invitation concludes with Central America's offering, coming up next...

1.71/5  rDev -37.8%

12 oz bottle best before Sept 07.

Pale yelllow with a fluffy white head. No lacing.

Aroma is grainy with a touch of skunk.

Flavor is grainy, metalic, with a little lemon.
Dry grainy finish.

This is the best beer in Tahiti? I am never going there. If I do I'll make sure to bring my own

2.78/5  rDev +1.1%

Appearance- Very clear, pale straw yellow. HUGE white head that slowly settles down to a ½” cap. Some lacing. The color and clarity looks a lot like a watered down apple juice. One of the clearest beers I've ever seen. Looks just about right for a macro American lager.

Aroma- Smells exactly like a macro American lager to. Mostly sour mash with some musty hops, and just a touch of malt sweetness.

Taste- Not as refreshing as most American macro-lagers, but not half bad Some corny sysrup sweetenss up front with a pronounced hop bite (for this style) in the middle. The hops linger into the back of the aft-taste. Not particularly good tasting, but there aren't any off-tastes and nothing particurly objectionable.

Mouthfeel- Heavier body than most American macro-lagers (not that is saying much.). Carbonation doesn't really kick in until right when you are swallowing it.

Drinkability- Not as good as I've made it sound so far. Most American lagers should either be very refreshing, or very quaffible. This, while not being wretched, is neither.

3.23/5  rDev +17.5%

Thin, straw-yellow body with a nicely frothy white head.

Nose is sour malt, nothing special.

Flavor is typical macro lager. There's a slight skunk on the finish, reminiscent of Heineken. It's no Masala Mama IPA, but not bad tasting after a day on the beach.

Mouthfeel is thin, typical for the style.

Drinkability is good. After a hot day on Hanuama Bay, it goes down well. I only bought one to review, but a sixer would top off this day well.

2.56/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This has one a terrific label. I can picture myself (a version of myself that likes macro lagers and can surf a lot better) hanging out on a deserted beach with a cute Islander, who I had met in town the night before, swigging a cold bottle after catching some waves.

Appearance: The pour is light gold with a foamy white head that fades, leaving a thin layer and a bit of lacing.

Smell: The nose has grains and grassy hops, but not much of either.

Taste: The taste has what's in the aroma and it's also pretty light. As the beer warms up, some ratio of hops and carbonation give the beer a bit of a bite at the finish. It's a strangely aggressive, but it makes an ordinary flavor profile more interesting.

Mouthfeel: It's light-bodied, but heavier for the style, with the bite at the finish.

Drinkability: Try to stay lost in the fantasy and drink the beer cold. It's certainly not worth the price.

3.16/5  rDev +14.9%

Pours a brilliantly clear, yellow gold color. It is topped by an initially three-finger thick, frothy, pale off white colored head that actually leaves some lacing patterns on the side of my glass. The aroma is sweet and mild; a touch of herbal hops, hints of lemon grass, and a grassy grain-like character. There is certainly nothing wrong with the aroma, not what I look for in a beer, but certainly not noticeable flaws so far.

Served quite cold, this beer at first seems to leave no sensory notes as it crosses my palate. Definitely has a light grain malt sweetness, but it actually has quite a bite to it as well. The combination of carbonation and hop bitterness give this beer a, relatively, sharp biting character that starts out at its most intense as soon as the beer hits the mouth, but then mellows through to a lingering finish of light bitterness. A kiss of lightly herbal hop notes and a grassy grain note add a touch to the flavors found in this beer. This beer is far from bad, but certainly does not have that intensity of flavor I look for in a beer. It is actually quite easily quaffable, and I could see it hitting the spot on a really hot day. Not bad, I was expecting far worse but this beer is nice an clean.

Purchased: Plaza Liquors, Tucson AZ

3.35/5  rDev +21.8%

I'm not sure why, but I really dig this beer. I figured I would try it, while I was visiting Oakland back in September, and to my surprise it was very drinkable. It's not like it's a very complex beer by any means, but I feel that it is well balanced in it's own right, thus making it an easy beer to down. Along with the nice balance of malts and hops, it has a light smokey finish to it, which caps it off nicely. I wish there was someway of getting it down here in SC though. Otherwise, I'll have to get it when I visit Cali once a year.

2.13/5  rDev -22.5%

50cl can: I saw this in a food store in France and decided why not? This one pours a fairly golden yellow, and it is crystal clear. It had a frothy white head that drops away rather quickly. Fizziness continues in the glass. Slightly sweet aroma, with notes of corn and grassiness. The taste is incredibly bland: where did it go? I get actually a slight tartness, followed by a slight dryness in the aftertaste. Fizzy mouthfeel. Not offensive, but no real reason to buy it, unless you want to add another country to your ratings list.

2.37/5  rDev -13.8%

The beer pours a pale yellow with a huge foamy white head that takes a little while to dissipate. Looks like a macro lager- just a little better than many American ones.

The smell is not bad- average for the style perhaps, fairly fresh, and definitely with some hops on the nose- somewhat like a soft pilsner.

I've tasted worse- some real (but small) hop presence helps fight the adjunct sweetness, but doesn't fully succeed. If I was in the South Pacific on a beach, I'd drink this. Otherwise, don't bother.

Mouthfeel is not real clean- a little sticky, a little slick and grainy.

Okay drinkability- the sweetness kind of kills it for me. Still a little more bearable than many american macros for me. Nothing to write home about or go out of your way to find.

2.7/5  rDev -1.8%

Lightly flecked, pale haystack yellow with a caulk white head that occupies the upper half of the glass after a less than vigorous pour. The cap actually looks pretty good. Why is it that nearly every little known beer from every corner of the world has a better looking lid than the offerings from BMC? An acceptable amount of lace finds its way to the glass.

The nose fits the style to a 'T'. Positives are that it smells like fresh grain and lightly musky hops (an absence of nastiness is a positive too, I suppose). Negatives are that it isn't very aromatic and... that it isn't very interesting. It's hard to make an AML interesting, I know.

Hinano certainly is bold on the palate. In fact, it has a bit of a malt liquor swagger about it with much less alcohol. Maybe not 'much less' since alcohol is easily identified as a member of the flavor profile; unusual in a beer of this style. Anyone expecting a beer that is as gentle and as lovely as the Tahitian girl on the label will be mightily disappointed.

I'm doing okay so far--about halfway through the bottle--but the harshness is beginning to wear on me. I'm all for boldness of flavor, but this one is a bit too raw, especially considering the absence of truly good flavors to chew on. Bitter outduels sweet with sharply grassy noble hops bathed in ethanol as the dominant contributor.

The body is firmly medium for the style and doesn't dissipate in the least on the finish. I have no quarrel with the amount of carbonation in particular, nor with the mouthfeel in general. A little softer would be better, since the flavor gives no quarter in that regard.

Hinano is a different sort of beer. It's an amped up version of the usual AML/EPL dreck that impresses with its aggressive, at least at first. However, if I want to imagine myself in a hammock on a South Seas beach with a lovely native girl, I'd like to imagine myself drinking something a little more approachable.

2.41/5  rDev -12.4%

Stubby style 50cl. brown bottle with fancy 50th anniversary neck label and a Best before: 21.09.06. This stuff pours almost clear, super light, yellow-gold with an inch of white bubbly head. A bit of lace initially. Head dies quickly, mild carbonation.

Smell is sweet, light malt with a hint of lemon. Has a bit of a piss smell to it as well.

Tastes of sweet light malt that fades to a mild hop (almost) bitter finish. The flavor is ok, just a bit on the bland side. Alcohol is not even noticed, is there any?

Mild fizz to the mouthfeel, super light body...beer flavored drinking water?

2.45/5  rDev -10.9%

Best before date clearly notched.

Extremely pale straw in color; almost translucent in some lighting from the pour. Foamy, bright white head leaving some broken rings of lacing. Very active carbonation.

Corn husks and full wheat aromas. A crisp, adjunct nose: lots of rice and other grains.

Corn, rice, and powdered wheat. Light hints of fruit: pear, apple prior to a crisp grain-flavored finish. Things seem promising (or at least non disastrous) at this point, but soon follows the light cabbage and copper-infused aftertaste.

Light bodied; very fizzy which is pretty much the norm for the style.

Well, par for the course for a 'premium lager beer'. I thought I'd give this Tahitian beer a whirl, and now I've learned my lesson.

1.12/5  rDev -59.3%

Garbage

Pale yellow, big bubbled carbonation, fizzy white head, sporadic lacing.

Grainy, adjunct, corn, sweetness, to give it some credit this macro lager has a slight fruity presence that is hard to reach for but I'm trying to be constructive. Touch of a hop twinger towards the end, sour, grinding sour finish.

Notes: I really don't know why I put myself through some of these beers that I reckon will perform like most macro lagers. Actually check that statement. I know why I do this, its because I'm on a mission. To sample everything that passes my way. If your not on a mission ...Pass on this.

2.48/5  rDev -9.8%

500 ml can, bought in France. Pale golden colour, decent head. Weak aroma, some faint fruity and flowery notes. Fairly clean and "neutral" pale lager flavour, which means that there is not much taste, but not too many offensive off-flavours either. Some bitterness in the finish, becomes metallic in the aftertaste. This is swill for the South Pacific heat, not something for beer lovers to search out, unless you want another country in your ratings list.

2.37/5  rDev -13.8%

Smell is sweet with some malt and grain and some herbal hop scent.

Taste is sweet and metallic with a fairly strong bitterness level. Very bitter for the style. Think bitter Budweiser and you have the taste.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Drinkability is not so great. It beats a corona but I would pick something else instead. Most annoying thing about this is that strong metallic flavor. Not really pleasant.

1.62/5  rDev -41.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Presentation: 50cl brown glass bottle with a large white, blue and red oval label. Listed as a Product of France [French Polynesia] and brewed by Brasserie de Tahiti. States that this has been “Brewed since 1955 according to the traditional process of master brewers”; indeed there is a small separate neck sticker which has the words ‘Anniversaire 50 Anniversary’. Best before 14.02.06.

Appearance: Pale yellow with some gold urine traits. Large expansive white head settles down to a ½” covering. Lots of lacing.

Nose: Musty odors, sweet malts.

Taste: Almost Tasteless, basically. Light feel throughout, a delicate hint of light beer start to finish…..this is the usual fizzy yellow stuff that does not upset anyone.

Mouthfeel: Low feel, carbonation helps to lend some feel and remind you that you have something in your mouth – just.

Drinkability: On a hot day in Long Beach, and my first brew of the day, straight from the fridge it was very easy to accommodate the first few mouthfuls. Afterwards, though, it soon becomes boring and I was soon back in my beer fridge for the next brew before I even finished this one!!

Overall: One of those “Beers of the World” that I so often pick up for a laugh. Well when I realized it was French I guess the laugh was on me, so I didn’t laugh much at this one…..but I got what I expected.

The Good News is that this is from Tahiti and doesn’t look too bad in the Glass.
The Bad News……everything else about it.

Hinano from Brasserie de Tahiti S.A.