Maredsous 10 - Triple | Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

good
Read the review
Maredsous 10 - TripleMaredsous 10 - Triple

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV
duvel.be

Style: Tripel

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-17-2002

Ratings: 1,580 |  Reviews: 699
2.91/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

A: Pours amber with small head of foam. darker than anticipated
S: rotting wood, mustiness, coriander
T: Extremely dry and nothing of note that I could pick up
M: Sits long on your mouth with a heavy mouthfeel. The flavor soured as it sat on my tongue.
O: Didn't really enjoy this one as much as I first anticipated. It sat long and dry in my mouth and didnt really have any smell/taste that I enjoyed

2.94/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

A -Clear, orange color, looks more like an IPA than a Tripel in my opinion, but an inviting look none the less

S - Granny Smith apple immediately comes to mind. Belgian yeast aroma very noticeable

T - Alcohol. Leaves a flat light metallic taste, I do not get much more than that. I keep waiting for more flavors to develop. No deal.

M - Medium bodied, but now the medicinal alcohol taste getting to be a bit much. let it sit, let it warm, and no better.

O - I do not care for it. I do not get much flavor at all, no depth, just a boozy warmth, and I want more. May be blasphemy on BA, but I have had much better from Belgium, New York, Canada, and yes, Pennsylvania. Always glad I tried, but this is a one and done for me.

2.95/5  rDev -24.2%

A - Beautiful translucent amber/golden with a full white head that quickly dissipates leaving a thin even layer and very nice lacing

T - A bit on the sour side, not very sweet. Alcohol taste is definitely present and took away from my overall experience.

S - Lovely sweet fruity smell as expected.

M - has a bit of a sting on the inner lips and tongue.

D - I really enjoy a good tripel or quadrupel, particularly when the alcohol taste isn't overpowering. Unfortunately the alcohol taste is very evident on this and I don't think I'll revisit this anytime soon. Stick with a St. Bernardus or a Val Dieu.

2.95/5  rDev -24.2%

Poured this 11.2 oz. brown bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet glass. Best before: 08 2010. The body was dull butterscotch colored with green hues. The head was beige and faded to clumpy islands, a film remained throughout.

Smell was prunes and hard candy. Bread. Cinnamon. Alcohol. Interesting.

Taste was syrupy. Rich. Alcohol was very evident.

Mouthfeel was thick and heavy, with moderate carbonation. Not one of my favorite tripels.

2.98/5  rDev -23.4%

On tap at the Amsterdam ale house in nyc

App-standard golden with no head. This is a result of a bad pour. Cute as hell 'tender-the reason I went-but no beer skill.

Smell-honey and wine, red wine, but the same aroma held by all wines.

Taste-wonderfully dry. If you like dry Belgians/tripels this is your brew. Slight Fruity tartness in middle. End with sweet grain malt and STRONG alcohol. Too much alcohol flavor and evaporation, almost like a liquor.

Surprisingly medium body. Small tight, light carbonation.

Not a bad beer (despite the rating), just a sub par tripel

2.98/5  rDev -23.4%

Reviewed 1/20/2006 (750mL bottle poured into a plastic cup):

Pours an amber red brownish colored body, with a big white head. Has an aroma of some raisin, and flowers. And has a strong taste of perfume, with a fizzy palate, and some alcohol hotness.

2.99/5  rDev -23.1%

I remember liking and I remember thinking it was a decent Tripel.

This Maredsous 10 pours with a pretty good amount of carbonation, that rises up quick -- a tall column of foam -- but then settles rather quickly, leaving bits of Brussels lace here and there.The color is a very clear gold. The is a bit disappointing and reminds me of some strong European lagers. The smell of cooked corn overrides any interesting esters. Disappointing. The flavor is a bit more rewarding but there's still that cooked corn -- let's make it creamed corn character -- rears it's ugly head again, only on my palate. The 10 percent alcohol isn't that noticeable, which earns this beer some points. The finish is a touch grainy, but fairly dry, albeit malt-accented and fairly sweet.

I add some the yeast to the glass in an effort to bring out some complexity. The beer my glass loses it clarity and glows a deep gold. A very loose meringue-like white head forms -- this beer suddenly looks better more appealing. Oddly enough,the cooked corn aroma disappears and is replaced with a more malty smell --- still no phenols. The flavor is a bit more agreable; a bit rounder with the yeast with a touch a vanilla, just a hint of marzipan sweetness, some slightly husky graininess and then a dry finish. It's not bad, but for $10 a four-pack of 11.2-ounce bottles, I feel a little cheated. Moortgat should find themselves a bit embarrassed over this one. I won't be buying another four-pack, and suddenly, paying $5 for a bottle of Westmalle seems worthwhile.

Maredsous 10 - Triple from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV