Maredsous 10 - Triple | Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

good
Read the review
Maredsous 10 - TripleMaredsous 10 - Triple

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV
Belgium | website

Style: Tripel

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-17-2002

Reviews: 693 | Ratings: 1,544

A - Pale copper color. Clear, with a slight haziness probably due to some yeast still in suspension. Frothy and clumpy head that resides within a couple of minutes after being poured into a wine glass.

S - Bread and yeast flavors are the first to hit my nose. Then fruits: Primarily apricot and banana. Spicyness, mainly in form of clove. The aroma is fairly sweet. I also get a kind of tartness, but that might just be because of the gueuze I just drank before this beer.

T & M - First thing I notice is some hefty prickling on my tongue, definitely a lot of carbonation here! The same flavor profile as the aroma, but when drinking the beer there are some differences: You definitely notice and taste the alcohol, however it is very mild. The beer is also very dry all the way through tasting it, with the sweetness of the alcohol and fruity esters balancing this. Tasting it I also get a flavor of light syrup. Medium-high body (fairly thin body considering the ABV).

O - This is definately a good tripel. Personally I favor beers with even less body and more drinkability (not that this isn't drinkable for a tripel). I can imagine this beer working nice with cheeses, and also for a dessert pairing.

3.41/5  rDev -12.1%

A - Poured copper brown into a snifter leaving a fluffy white head. Nice lacing all the way down the glass.

S - a fruity sweetness, not citrus fruit, more like apples or pears, with a underlying but notice touch of alcohol

T - Delicious fruit flavours hit the tongue first,but don't linger very long. It follows with a malty dryness, that is rather pleasing.. About halfway through i noticed a nice warmness in my chest which can obviously be attributed to the 10% ABV.

M - Pretty smooth for a full bodied beer. I would have liked to try this one at cellar temperature, but the shop I got it at only had a cold bottle and I was ready to drink this as soon as I walked in the door from work. I'm impatient.

D - I like the way it finishes, and could drink a couple of these but there are plenty of other tripels that I would pick before this. Glad I tried it nonetheless, and it only run me about around $3 so that's a pretty good deal.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a pretty standard golden color, head disappears quite quickly, though leaving a ring at the top of the glass.

Tastes bright, but not overly so. Pretty sparkly on the tongue, and just a bit of aftertaste that lingers. I'm really bad at putting "notes" to tastes, but this seems pretty floral to me. Super, super drinkable for a Belgian, and really quite enjoyable.

The perfect combination of light enough but still quite flavorful. Great for hot weather.

4.35/5  rDev +12.1%

What a surprise! This triple is unexpectedly good.
Good appearance, beautiful orange with a soft, spacey foam. Smell is winding, fruity with a hint of honey. Taste is great, so smooth, even more for a triple, a warm embrace with a tart finish. Alcohol makes itself more present sip by sip, leaving a pleasant warm souvenir in your mouth and mind...

4.33/5  rDev +11.6%

A: Holy head Batman. The head on this beer was nice. Good lacing. Nice golden color with a red tone.

S: Clean. Malt tones.

T: Bananas was the first thing that came to mind. Finished clean.

M: Slight tingle on the tounge.

D: Would drink this again...and again.

4.24/5  rDev +9.3%

It has a huge head that settles down. A bit creamy and leaves some lacing. The color is a pale amber, with some orange. The aroma is huge with roasted malt and nuts, with a hint of oranges and ripe red fruit.

First and foremost, let it warm up a bit. The first few cold sips left if tasting overly carbonated. After sitting for a few minutes to release it carbonation, the warming released the flavor. A nice roasted malt sweetness upfront. Then the ripened fruit followed. The alcohol kicks in the back (10%) to warm it on the tongue. The finish is very dry from the alcohol but also akin to walnuts.

A very nice triple. A bit over carbonated. And the alcohol steals the flavor a bit too much. But definitely worth a try.

4.57/5  rDev +17.8%

11.2oz Bottle

A- Nice looking bottle. It caught my attention at my favorite store.
It poured a nice orange/yellow amber. It had a good head that lasted throughout the whole drinking experience. Once poured into the glass, there was a sediment left at the bottom of the bottle. I guess part of the refermentation process.

S- The aroma from this beer is sweet and bready. Like you are about to have dessert.

T- This is the best part of this beer. Smooth comes to mind as you take the first drink. A good balance of carbonation throughout. True to its style. The refermentation process does its job making this beer one of my must have in my cellar at all times.

D- Theres only one thing I need to say, Try this beer, its a very drinkable beer.

Overall one of my top 5. Ill definetly be buying a few more.

3.58/5  rDev -7.7%

33 cl bottle poured into Maredsous chalice

A - amber/copper. 1.5 fingers of slightly off-white rocky head. Great retention, thick lacing when it finally receeds.

S - very yeasty, banana bread, spices (cloves, nutmeg)

T - still yeasty but not nearly as much as the nose would suggest. banana and cloves come through. For a 10% abv beer, the alcohol is quite well hidden, slight heat on the very back end.

M - medium-light body with high carbonation which is nice for such a highly alcoholic beer.

O - a good tripel, not quite great but I would have another if it was offered to me. I would not seek it out.

3.97/5  rDev +2.3%

A: This is possibly the most gorgeous beer I have ever seen. Poured into a water goblet and held up into the light of the early morning sun, this Maredsous 10º is a radiant orange. The soft, cloud like white head is supported by a lively stream of carbonation. Lacing coats the glass on all sides, top to bottom.
A: Soft and slighty yeasty. Mild phenols and a bit of citrus.
T: Sweet banana, balanced grassy hop bitterness, slighty spicy/peppery. A hint of alcohol with a lingering subtle medicinal finish.
M: A bit too sharp for my liking, but every tripel is.
D: About as drinkable as a beer of 10% can. Alcohol aside, quite refreshing after a long night at work.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a chalice, this golden-brown brew produced a minimal off-white head. Common smell for this type of beer, malt, bready yeast, and a spice like component. Taste of sweet malt, banana, spice, and white pepper. The first thing that hit me was the pepper burn to the front of the tongue, the 10% alcohol was very apparent, followed by a dry carbonation. I personally like a bit of a bite this brew has to offer.

Poured at home in a chalice.

App- An Orange hue with copper undertones. A decent head.

Smell- Strong Belgian Yeast with nice floral bouquet.

Taste- Very smooth and drinkable...You will notice the yeast, but that is a good thing.

Mouth- Carbonated and fruity, but not overdone.

Drink- Very impressive, crisp and fresh triple, will definitely recommend and will drink again...

(note* Even though this is only an 11.2oz bottle, you will feel the 10% alcohol)

3.2/5  rDev -17.5%

Appearance - A hazy orange color that was topped with a huge white puffy head. The lacing seems to be glued to the duvel tulip I poured it into.

Smell - Very malty with some sweetness and a bit of citrus. Also maybe a hint of sharp alcohol can be detected.

Taste - Medium bodied and very carbonated. I seem to taste a pretty good amount of alcohol too. Maybe a little too hot (or obviously high in alcohol) for my taste.

Mouthfeel - Leaves the tongue dry and arid. I've definitely had triples that weren't nearly as bold or "obnoxious".

Drinkability - wow. Had one, can't have any more. You definitely don't want to tango with alot of this stuff, especially if you drink it in the 750mL format.

4.52/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass at a beer class at local wine superstore.

Clear golden amber with a nice head. Has a "classic" beer aroma - slight citrus scent

Tastes of citrus, apricot, & vanilla with a nice fizzy fuzzy mouthfeel. Very nice even finish

Would definitely want to have this again.

3.8/5  rDev -2.1%

I just enjoyed a beer that said "Best by 5/2015." It's 10/2015, FYI. I'm listening to Bitches Brew by Miles Davis as I drink this.

This beer was bought three years ago to the day and cellared in a 55 degree, climate controlled basement for three years, so I think it's okay that I missed the "best by" date.

L - Pours a copper beauty with one inch of frothy, light head. Excellent lacing from beginning to end. A pretty beer.

S - Sweet, yeasty smell with notes of dark fruits. A little bottley at first, but subsided into traditional Belgian smells.

T - Sweet, malty front with heavy carbonation on the aftertaste. Dark fruits throughout, and even bubblegum (I dare say). It's not incredible, but it's delicious nonetheless.

F - Coating and rich. Feels great, tbh.

Overall - This was fun, and an experimental one in that I waited a bit longer than they recommend, even though I cellared it under prime conditions. It was delicious to drink, and although not the best Belgian beer I've had, (and even a bit pricey for it's quality at $4.29 a bottle), it is overall a well done beer. It's hard to compete with the big names in this style, but it holds its own.

2.95/5  rDev -24%

A - Beautiful translucent amber/golden with a full white head that quickly dissipates leaving a thin even layer and very nice lacing

T - A bit on the sour side, not very sweet. Alcohol taste is definitely present and took away from my overall experience.

S - Lovely sweet fruity smell as expected.

M - has a bit of a sting on the inner lips and tongue.

D - I really enjoy a good tripel or quadrupel, particularly when the alcohol taste isn't overpowering. Unfortunately the alcohol taste is very evident on this and I don't think I'll revisit this anytime soon. Stick with a St. Bernardus or a Val Dieu.

4.6/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a 750ml glass into a snifter (I pinky promise I'll get a chalice of some sort for this kind of beer soon). A beautiful slighlty cloudy cooper/ golden hue to the beer. Very rich, lingering head with a beautiful foam lacing that stuck to the glass.

Smell was excellent. A little sweet and with everything you would expect from a tripel.

Taste was phenomenal, I seriously don't know how this beer doesn't get better than a B+ here, I absolutely love it. Taste was a little sweet with plenty of malt coming through with just the right amount of bitter to keep everything in check.

Mouthfeel was good, the booze part of this beer is easy to detect, but hey what is the fundamental point of drinking any sort of alcoholic beverage right? In spite of that, it was very smooth with a good aftertaste.

As with almost all belgian style ales, I could drink this stuff all day.

The first time I had this beer was over a year ago when I had recently turned 21. It was the first tripel I ever had and the initial thought of "Jesus this stuff is like drinking candy." still rings true to this day. It's not quite the tripel that Westmalle is, but after a long hiatus it was nice to reunite with an old friend (especially while studying for my metaphysics exam). I don't know how this beer doesn't get at least an A- on this site, it's absolutely amazing and I love the stuff. Cheers to you father whoeveryouare that's in charge of making booze at Maredsous Abbey.

3.97/5  rDev +2.3%

330 ml bottle from an LCBO gift pack. best before march 2011.

pours deep clear golden with an everlasting white head that lingers and laces.

aroma of alcohol, yeast, pale belgian malts, hops.

flavour. soft and sweet up front with the yeast aspects in the middle and a long bitter hoppy finish.

not a bad triple just not the best.

id buy it if it were availible.

4.6/5  rDev +18.6%

what can i say i am trying to be as objective as i can i just love this beer the appearance is a nice gold with a decent head absolutely the best mouthfeel of any beer ive ever had! so many flavors hints of apple are present i could drink this all night

3.93/5  rDev +1.3%

Split the large bottle with my wife and poured into both my Chimay Chalice and Allagash Tulip. It had a great, lush white head on top of a golden amber. The head retention was wonderful.

Very subtle smell of sweet earth. Pleasant and secretive.

Taste of apricot and spice. A slight cidery taste, but almost no alcohol presence. A wonderful flavor for a tripel.

The mouthfeel was the best attribute. Warm and delicate, with nice carbonation to give it some movement on the tongue.

A great combination with a meal or appetizer.

3.51/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured into a snifter...

A: Good golden color, not too hazy, managed to keep most of the yeast back in the bottle. Great color all in all, a real solid creamy head that stuck around.

S: Pretty floral, little bit of clove and maybe some anise seed? overall, a more herbal scent, definitely getting some of the yeast smell in there too.

T: Pretty decent alcohol taste, not overpowering...I expected more. Again, floral notes here, but also a hint of vanilla as well as some citrus.

M: Carbonation isn't too much (about what you'd want for this kind of brew), Medium feel overall.

D: This is deceptively easy to throw back. I finished mine in near record time. I could probably go throw two in a night...is a little bit on the filling side though.

3.28/5  rDev -15.5%

Appearance is nice; the head is huge. (Does anyone else think appearance and smell ought to be knocked down to 10% and taste up to 60%?) Nose is surprisingly unremarkable; a little fruity yeast but not as much as you'd expect for a Belgium. Taste: it starts like a triple, nice maltiness, and finishes...a little like cough syrup. I know it's hard to disguise the alcohol on a 10.0% abv beer but there's plenty of triples out there that do a better job than this one. Not much depth here either. The mouthfeel is lighter than most triples, which I enjoyed, but in the end it's not very sessionable because of the harshness.

Recommended music pairing: Rolling Stones - Goat's Head Soup

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

Persistent, airy head. Deep golden color like unfiltered honey. Slight redness to it. Nice biscuity nose with some belgian yeast notes. Taste is nice, but a bit sweet for me. I keep thinking I've take a belt off a bottle of syrup that stays on my tongue for too long. It's a nice flavor, just a little too rich. Caramel, cherry, molasses, honey. To be sipped slowly on a typical weeknight.

4.07/5  rDev +4.9%

Served out of a 750ml bottle into a chalice/tulip glass.

A: A hazy deeb amber/ red color with a frothy head and noticable setement.

S: A floral, sweet aromoa with hints of honey. Very plesant.

T: A bitter sweet front with a continuing sweet middle and a bitter finish.

M: Buttery and smooth.

O: An overall good bear. The sweet notes are very pleasant and the high alcohol content is barley noticable.

Appearance: Ochre/deep gold body with an isabelline/beige head.

Aroma: Pears, apples, quince, light spice, and musty Belgian yeast - all caried by a rather strong alcohol nose.

Taste: Peaches, grapes, and what I would best describe as 'burnt apples'. While the taste itself quickly dissipates, a strong alcoholic finish does linger for a bit.

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation with a smooth finish.

Overall: I love it; possibly the best Tripel I have had...so far, at least - but if you are a fan of Tripels, try this.

4.13/5  rDev +6.4%

This has been one of my favorites for years.

A: Rusty amber color, pretty clear. As served it had a short head, but I know it can have a really tall head if you pour it that way.

S: Honestly not too much smell. Alcohol.

T: Sweet. Very sweet. There is much malt here and sugar. Not much in the way of hops. The flavor is not just sweet though, it is pretty complex.

M: Decent.

D: As much as I love this stuff there's plenty of times when I just don't feel like drinking it. It's sticky sweet and can be a bit much in the wrong setting. Also at 10% it's hard to session (but I'm willing to try).

Maredsous 10 - Triple from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV