Duvel Tripel Hop | Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV
duvel.be

Style: Belgian IPA

Added by ggaughan on 12-17-2007

This is the king of all beers, the taste is exceptional and the after flavor is citrusy and hoppy... the head is about three fingers and beautiful to look at !!! I think is worth every pennie out of the $22.00 dlls that I paid for it, enjoy it with dry fruit and nuts, of course a good strong chesse will finish it perfectly...

Appearance: A very yellow color, but paler than regular Duvel. Has the same voluminous white head that fills the Duvel Tulip above the Duvel logo

Smell: A very complex nose, whatever hoppiness that was there when fresh has evolved into something far more interesting and delicious

Taste: Again, very complex, more bitterness than the regular Duvel, which is the only thing that I know of as "hops" that I tasted, but it has much better and more interesting flavors than your standard hoppy brew. The hops have definitely made a mark on the flavor, and I'm impressed that Duvel has pulled off what they did. There is a good tartness to it, compared to regular Duvel, but not a whole lot if you compare it to a sour.

Mouthfeel: Light body, high carbonation

Overall: Very amazing with some age on it. I'm going to pick up another bottle if I can find another one under $10.

Can I give this a 5? I'm going to give this a 5. Every sip is a three course meal.

Duvel has been one of my top beers since I started drinking beer...I was so excited to see this brew and did not hesitate to drop $20 for this. 750 ml bottle poured into my large Duvel tulip glass...and I'm NOT sharing.

A- Body is a somewhat dense, dynamically hazy, translucent, pale golden yellow hue. Pours with the classic Duvel 3 finger+ foamy white head. Head eventually, and somewhat unevenly fades to 1/2 finger (altough there is a 2 finger foamy iceburg floating around)...and leaves a TON of lacing all the way down the glass. Bubbles can be seen steadily rising to the top.

S- Lots and lots of floral and noble hops everywhere-which are of moderate-to-strong strength and the highlight of the nose-yet they give off a very soft vibe-Hop profile is prominent-but very Euro. Behind this is a lot of pear, a hint of tart apple and moderate sweet, bready, belgian yeast backbone.

T- Taste is subtle at first and offers some dry fruity flavors with a subtle belgian yeast backbone. A spicy presence very quickly emerges over the dryness and becomes prominent. Then a hint of white grape emerges with a bready yeast. The hops really hit for the finish and make their presence known- mostly floral but with a noble softness and a slightly piny refreshing character (actually it pretty much has Saaz written all over it). The spicy, bready yeast makes its presence known-before another breif cry spell and a moderate lingering hop bitterness with a slight breadiness and spicyness lingering as well.
The flavor profile in this changes from start to finish. Its quite complex and as I drink more the picture becomes clearer.

M- Medium to high carbonation, and a light, yet full body that is, for the most part smooth and yeasty/bready (although it has dry spells too-not too common to find a complex mouthfeel).

D- I love this beer. The whole profile-from start to finish just confirms why this is my favorite style. Its complex, refreshing, drinkable, and delicious. This borders on Belgian IPA-but these are the types of BSPAs I go after....$20 hurts-a lot-but this brew sure is worth it. This beer has completely met, and exceeded my expectations. AND this is my FIRST 5.0 beer (review 777)-thats it-perfection.

I think I want to buy 1-2 more bottles of it to enjoy in the future. Actually-I'm really happy that I didn't have to trade for a beer I love this much.

A: Just like it's "baby" brother, this bigger Duvel is clear, bright golden hue, with a massive head that leaves a ton of lacing. Duvel's appearance is what all other beers strive to become. Phenomenal.

S: Aromas of malt and citrus hops, but with a emphasis on malts and that well known pear-like aroma that Duvel is known for.

T: I didn't think it was possible to improve on Duvel, but this is it. Stronger hops, more heavy malt presence that enhances the pear and fruit quality.

M: Slightly creamier and thicker than the original, but still outstanding.

D: Regardless of the 9.5 abv, this one is so easy to drink. One can forget how strong this is because of its drinkability, so this one can probably creep up. Still, this is one of the greatest beers I've had.

Duvel Tripel Hop from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV