Duvel Belgian Golden Ale

Gots
SCORE
World-Class
Duvel Belgian Golden AleDuvel Belgian Golden Ale
Notes: A Duvel is still seen as the reference among strong golden ales. Its bouquet is lively and tickles the nose with an element of citrus which even tends towards grapefruit thanks to the use of only the highest-quality hop varieties. This is also reflected in the flavour, which is beautifully balanced with a hint of spiciness. Thanks to its high CO2 content, this beer has a wonderful roundness in the mouth. A Duvel is both the perfect thirst quencher and the ideal aperitif.
View: Beers
Reviews: 2,931 | Ratings: 8,272 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

*Poured into a Teku glass from a 330mL bottle*

This had a slightly hazy pale golden color to it with an impressive two finger thick white colored head. It had great retention to it, almost never dissipating. No complaints about the look of this beer!

This had a faint sweet malt character to it upfront, but this beer was primarily yeast forward in addition to a pronounced presence of phenol. Spicy and peppery in the front and middle aroma, there were a fair amount of banana esters with a bit of cinnamon in the middle and backend. Other than the yeast and a slight malt character, there weren't a lot of depth or complexity in the aroma.

The taste offered a bit of a balance from the relatively yeast forward aroma that I got. There was a sweet malt taste upfront which then evolved to the aforementioned yeast flavors described in the aroma. The beer then finished with a pronounced and long bitterness from the hops.

Full-bodied, a high carbonation, and a dry finish made this a very smooth and drinkable beer. Very quaff-able for the ABV that it has. Although the alcohol is noticeable, it was relatively mellow and not too strong. There was a long lingering bitterness in the aftertaste which is a negative more me personally, but this did not affect the overall drink-ability.

Overall, I thought this was a very drink-able and balanced tasting beer, although it was slightly more bitter than what I prefer in a beer. It's not one of my favorites, but I felt like this is a perfect representation of the style and I wouldn't mind buying/drinking this again.

4.34/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L: solid creamy gold with probably one of the most impressive heads in the beer universe
S: rich malt and molasses with an undertone of raspberry; reminds me of a summer day or evening in a cow pasture
T: excellent hops spice, fruit such as banana, rich malt, and maybe juniper berries?
F: perfect carbonation and no alcoholic bite

Overall, this is simply one of the best beers in the world. Duvel was the first beer that made me aware of the potential of what a great beer could be. However, I took some time in reviewing Duvel and this is my fiftieth review here on B-A. Wanted No. 50 to be something distinguished and awesome. Duvel fits the bill.

In a nutshell, Duvel is a classic, exemplar of a beer that every person with an interest in beer needs to experience.

4.42/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Finally got to taste the world famous Duvel Belgian Golden. Big, white fluffy head, that's thick like a cloud and lacing like soap. Lemony yellow hue and a sweet, pleasant aroma. Taste is big and fruity, hoppy and slightly spicy. Finish is crisp. ABV is high but well-hidden. This is a world class brew that is worthy of it's reputation. I will be buying again. Duvel delivers!

4.94/5  rDev +15.2%

This is my standard to which I compare every other offering in this style (Strong Belgian pale ale/tripels )

I've not yet found a better brew.

Be patient. I am just learning beer geek language.

4.23/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

330 mL Bottle. ABV 8.5%.
Appearance: Golden, clear, three fingers of bright airy and frothy head, great retention, low to moderate carbonation, spotty and soapy lacing, becomes veiled on final pour.
Aroma: Belgian yeast, citrus zest, floral hops, Apple, coriander, clove, peppery,
Mouthfeel: slightly above medium body, moderate-high carbonation, very well hidden alcohol (it does reveal itself as you near the end), crisp,
Flavour: moderate hop bitterness, citrus zest, clove, floral hops, Apple,
Overall:

Review: 161

4.74/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 25.4oz bottle into a Rastal nucleated Teku glass.
The body is clear golden amber with 3 fingers of rocky white head. The retention of foam is great. There's a large amount of thick lacing all the way down the glass. I thought I was being cautious topping off the glass but had an overflow. 5.00
The aroma is medium-high in strength and of apple, lemon, and spice. 4.75
The taste is medium-high in strength and of pear, apple, and there's some sweetness. There's some grapefruit peel from the hops with a moderately bitter finish. I get more nuances of flavor when it warms up. 4.75
The body is medium in thickness, extremely creamy, and has a low astringency level. 4.5
Overall, it's a beer that I think "Wow!" with each sip. It's definitely world class. It hides the 8.5% ABV so well that I was tempted to finish off the 25.4oz bottle which would be a big mistake. Regardless of the high ABV, it's cool and refreshing. 4.75

4.09/5  rDev -4.7%

Look: It pours golden and clear with a light head. It has very tight beading in the head with very good head retention.

Smell: It has a spicy start with pepper and coriander. There is a low level of lemon in support. There are also low levels of earthly elements as well.

Taste: It is well spice with pepper and coriander being the most prominent. There are earthly and doughy elements in support. There is a bit a lemon very low in the background.

Feel: It has a medium light body in spite of the alcohol content. There is as much of a spicy bite in the finish as there is bitterness. It also has the classic dry finish.

Overall, a great combination of complex esters and other elements.

4.36/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

a: clear golden amber color with some light yellow in there. massive, 3-4 finger rocky and froth white head

s: huge note of lemon, lemongrass, and barnyard funk upfront. sweet grass and grains behind that with green apple skin and pear. huge Belgian yeast spice in here - clove and cardamom galore. earthy, herbal sweet grass and huge dry crackery notes. big esthers and yeast in this

t: big punch of flavor upfront. green apple skin, sweet grains, and alcohol upfront. a slight funk with cloves behind that. lemongrass, pepper, and a mild earthy hoppy bitterness. sweet biscuits and red peppers behind that. the finish on this is some sweetness, along with more green apple and Belgian yeast

m: heavier side of medium mouthfeel with high carbonation

o: a benchmark of the style for sure. it has the flavors, aroma, and appearance that you think of when you think Belgian Strong Pale Ale

3.91/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

330ml bottle

Pours a pillowy, mildly soapy looking white head in a plastic cup (do watcha gotta do on a train). Retention is pretty good. Body is golden yellow, clarity is high. Lowish amount of bubbles coming up. Looks pretty nice.

Esters are mild at first, but quickly come out as the beer opens up. Clove, banana. Noble hop aroma is more present than I would expect in most belgian beers, though not off style here. Pretty well balanced, has dry notes, sugars come through as well though. Smells like a sessionable ale that still has a good amount of flavor.

Hits my tongue and oh boy is this mineral forward, like I'm drinking sparkling water. Again, not off style, but this is on the extremely high end of that spectrum. Esters very much play a supporting role. A touch of sweet grain after that initial dry mineral punch. Has a touch of bitterness in the finish. Less balanced than the aroma, certainly lands on the drier side for flavor. Not bad, but a little dry and sparkly for me, would prefer it more balanced.

Mouthfeel and flavor have a fair amount of overlap on this one. Other than the aforementioned bubbles, sugar content (or lack thereof), and bitterness - the body is good, it comes across lighter than it is because of the carbonation. It actually is a medium body on this guy. Mouthfeel on its own is not the issue, but when combined with the flavor it creates a little to be desired. Still, that being said I would grade both on parallel because there work cooperatively here.

Drinkability is quite high for the most part, though you might get full quick from all the carbonation.

Appearance turned out very nice. Lacing was a tad patchy, but overall pretty thick. A small head hung around the whole way down.

Overall a nice beer. Perhaps not my style, but I do feel like this is on the further side of that dry, carbonated spectrum.

Post review I notice this is 8.5% and without any big tools like hops or specialty grain, it hides it quite well.

3.55/5  rDev -17.2%

Look: lots of head and slight haze
Smell: not overly strong
Taste: Good I had with a Pretzel and Mustard you can taste the high Alcohol. It is pretty good but not amazing not sure it would be as good without the pretzel and mustard.
Feel: I feel good drinking the

4.3/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Look: Slightly hazy, pale yellow. A huge 3 finger head of thick white foam with endless retention.

Smell: Resinous hops, slight yeast, apple.

Taste: Sweet malt, vanilla, baking spices, light citrus.

Mouthfeel: Average body with very sharp carbonation.

Overall: An excellent, flavorful ale that I will gladly buy by the case.

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

"... the devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for ..."

Review #1,000! Only took me the greater part of a decade . Here is a big cheers to the next 1,000!
Enjoyed with proper Duvel glassware

A timeless classic. The consistent quality of this brew alone deserves to be lauded.

Depending on your experience/conditions the Duvel pours a semi-clear and effervescent straw gold body. Some cloudy yeast sediment can be experienced resulting in darker hues. Signature Duvel look in its excitable frothy head of snowy white peaks that really take on a life of their own. Some of the best lacing work you will experience in a brew here. The nose is yeasty spice bread, golden grains, tart green apple, and a light lemony citrus with mineral water. Very clean. The flavor of this is a golden malt delight; so well balanced and dangerously drinkable. Earthy yeast, grassy green hops, golden wheat/malt/grains, and some granny smith apple with mild alcohol spicing. Very dry and creamy in texture with a prickly high carbonation feel.

The devil comes in many forms….I definitely prefer the Duvel fresh as the hops have way more pop. Vibrant and crisp, but this does stand up well to cellaring. I have had a 4-5yr old bottle and with age this brew becomes more white wine and vinous like. The lively yeast and green hops have now mellowed giving stronger expressions of more golden stone fruit and white grape flavors, super creamy texture, and a touch of oxidation.

"O thou invisible spirit of ale. If thou hast no name to be known by let us call thee Devil..."

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: Greenish yellow, very hazy, lasting head but little to no lacing
S: Wheat, lemon, some spices, hint of alcohol, yeastiness
T: Rich citrus, some alcohol
F: Well-bodied, not overpowering, carbonation is balanced

O: 4.25

4.93/5  rDev +14.9%

On a recent trip to Europe a group of coworkers and I toured Belgium and Luxemburg. When we stopped for lunch everyone ordered a Duvel and raved about it. Unfortunately for me, I was the DD and only managed a sip from someone else's glass. I found a 4-pack at my local store when I got home. This is my new standard for a golden ale.

I do not have a Duvel glass, but picked the closest one to it I own, a brandy balloon style beer mug. It poured well and provided three fingers worth of head, a small amount of foam stuck around the entire 50 minutes I enjoyed it. I enjoyed the taste and smell, my pallet is not refined enough to pick out individual subtleties but I enjoyed it greatly.

Overall my new favorite special occasion beverage. A little pricey in the US, but worth it.

3.05/5  rDev -28.9%

A very nice appearance to it, very clear and bubbly with a nice bright golden color to it that pours with a generous three fingers of very foamy white colored head that has a very good retention to it, and actually refreshes its self through the carbonation and leaves loads of patchy lace on the glass.

Nice nose to it as well, grassy with a good amount of slightly funky Belgian yeast aroma with faint hints of black pepper and apples.

Flavor forward tastes a bit too over sweet to me, with a very sweet, light bodied crystal malt base with some honeyed lightly fruity notes of: apples, lemon, pineapple and over ripe banana.

Finishes with faintly grassy hop hints that increase as it warms, some szechuan pepper / clove spicy Belgian yeast esters on the back-end as well as a strong boozy quality, that together prickle and numb the tongue.

Light bodied and highly effervescent while surprisingly boozy tasting, I thought it was alright but something just didn't work for me, perhaps it was a bit over sweet and lacking in body to balance the alcohol, or possibly the slight numbing sensation on my tongue that gave me an odd of a feeling on an allergic reaction, but either way it was a bit of a disappointment, having had others in this style that I liked a more.

4.46/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours pale yellow with a 1 1/2 inch white head and heavy lacing, which both last to the end. Slight haziness. Heavy carbonation.

Aroma is fruity, spicy, yeasty, lemony. Styrian Goldings hops.

Taste follows nose: fruity, spicy, yeasty. A bit tart.

Surprisingly, full bodied. Creamy, smooth, dry finish.

This is an excellent beer. Great aroma, carbonation, bitterness. Very tasty.

4.1/5  rDev -4.4%

On tap at Haven in Orange, CA.

First things first, I wish this beer was a lot warmer than how it was served. That being said, Raul has learned in life that beggars cannot be choosers. Anyway, it pours a basic, straw yellow like a cow gnawing on hay. Aroma is of faint Belgian yeasts like a stroll in the city Bruges. Taste is a bit light (which I’ll blame on how it was served). That being said, it’s still pure and clean like the captain of the cheerleading squad before the quarterback tainted her.

Yep!

4.28/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Tarnished, pale gold, with light mist preventing it from being clear; pours a huge, fluffy, marshmallow head, light as a cloud and holding strong like there's not a breeze in the air.
Yeasty umami and spice, hints of lemon, and fresh cracked barley.
Complex, mouth-coating, yeast flavours, perfectly indescribable and subtle; lightly of spice and fattiness; sugars and pale malt provide a balancing sweetness, though I have to say it's a touch more residual sugar than I'd like; all followed by subtle alcohol heat in the dry finish. Medium carbonation, perfect, and medium body, mildly crisp like a Spring morning.

3.98/5  rDev -7.2%

Very serious beer to drink.. Is good all around and very balance.. This beer is very strong and refreshing when it is gold.. Has the ordinary and awesome crystal yellow colour and the taste is little bitter and fruity.. Sometimes remind lemon and bananas..
Overall is nothing too extreme or something but is very balance.. I don't notice any weakness.. I can drink it very easy.. Can fill very easy my mouth and that matters to me..

4.58/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Duvel is ambrosia. Perhaps the best brew you can get on the mass market at your local grocery store; nearly as good as Chimay or St. Bernardus but far more available. Treat yourself.

4.45/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Oh Duvel... you bring back memories of my exploits to the beer mecha of Brussels. Thanks for being so available throughout the globe to give me that "authentic" abbey ale fix when I am craving it! Solid, bold, a great intro for someone not familiar with strong ales!

4.84/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

My favorite beer. Crisp and sweet with a hint of citrus but has a nice, strong bite. Delicious and refreshing. After a few of these you’ll be feeling good.

I order this beer at basically any bar that has it in stock.

3.8/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a beautiful Golden Brown. Thick head - must be poured out with patience. Tons of big bubble carbonation.
Nose is of fresh Roses or Easter lily fresh flowers/ perfume predominately, and also prominent is hard tack biscuit. Some clove . The perfume smell is a bit much IMO.
Taste is amazing, with a full mouth feel and and cloves with a penultimate little bitter dry hop finish that paired with the high alcohol stays on the taste buds in a great way. The thing I do not like is the aftertaste which gets somewhat thin and cloying thin like somebody dumped a shot of gin in the beer. Don't get me wrong, I'll take all I can get, but at the price here in Tx., USA, I won't be getting much, that is for certain, it's way outta my price range..just as well, I found myself wanting something more docile after I slowly imbibed in 1 bottle of Duvel, so I drank a Ice old Lone Star Light- hit the spot.
I always marvel at the depth and breadth of you guys reviews. Mine is hardly on par with those, but its a shot with some one with limited aesthetic sense and challenged descriptive acumen. Score for me is 85 percentile- its obviously great, but i do not like cloves, and the , for your reviewer, almost cloying cheap warm Gin like finish on the palate just wasn't worth the price .

4.79/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look- Poured 11.2 oz bottle slowly into large tulip glass. Hazy golden color with big creamy white head. Heavy lacing as level in glass dropped. Carbonation creates bubbles to the last sip.
Smell- Rich malty/yeasty smell, with slight floral notes.
Taste- Lovely rich taste, with a little bite. Very easy to drink
Feel- Creamy with noticeable carbonation.
Overall- A great beer from a bottle. Want to try on tap. Always a treat.

3.98/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours slightly cloudy, mostly clear golden with large head and lots of carbonation bubbles. Smell is slightly stale character malt with background fruitiness. Taste is trademark tanginess that I associate with the Belgian Golden ales and full bready, earthy malts. Delightful effervescence from the high carbonation levels. This style is yeast-driven and I see why this is the brand that defines the style. The yeast flavor is almost biting at times. Obviously a pillar of the style, not my favorite.

Duvel Belgian Golden Ale from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV