Duvel Belgian Golden Ale | Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Duvel Belgian Golden AleDuvel Belgian Golden Ale

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV
duvel.be

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

A Duvel is still seen as the reference among strong golden ales. Its bouquet is lively and tickles the nose with an element of citrus which even tends towards grapefruit thanks to the use of only the highest-quality hop varieties. This is also reflected in the flavour, which is beautifully balanced with a hint of spiciness. Thanks to its high CO2 content, this beer has a wonderful roundness in the mouth. A Duvel is both the perfect thirst quencher and the ideal aperitif.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

View: Beers
Ratings: 8,093 |  Reviews: 2,873

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

1.25/5  rDev -70.6%

1.25/5  rDev -70.6%

1.44/5  rDev -66.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

1.46/5  rDev -65.6%

yuck yuck yuck. highly overrated overpriced disgustingly nasty tasting beer.

1.5/5  rDev -64.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

1.55/5  rDev -63.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

This beer disapointed me greatly. A fuzzy/cloudy yellow color presented itself with a thick head. The smell was of strong malt. The taste was disgusting and was a mix of flavors, it had different fruity flavored malts which went to war against grainy flavors. It was like somebody mixed 3 random beers together. The finish was rough. I expected to like this beer as it had solid reviews and was excited to try it, but it let me down. I decided to try it again, and it was still garbage.

1.62/5  rDev -61.9%

750 mL

A: Looks good, crystal clear with a HUGE head that sticks all over the glass. Lots of bubbles and a very very light yellow color.

S: Spicy and I dont know light? I smell corny but I think a lot of people would get pissy at me but hey fuckem. I smell a spicy coors light, and I swirled and warmed the beer to no end.

T: Meh. I think I just dont like the mouthfeel, but that caried over into the taste. Like drinking air that has spicyness. Not a real fan. The taste has very limited hop presence with a ... no wait no malt prescence because it was so carbonated I couldnt taste a damn thing...

M: Light, dry did I say light? For being so alcholic it doesnt carry over into a unique taste or mouthfeel. Just like an extremly fizzy beer with very few good qualities. Carbonation waaay to high, and I know its a Belgian, which apparently gives it supernatural qualities, but Im calling it saying I think what they did to this beer sucked.

D: I struggled and struggled to finish my 750 mL, but ended up tossing the rest. If you want a quick buzz go for it. But a good beer? Try DFH or stone. Because all I tasted here was hype. Belgian beers can make some crazy good brews, but this was not one of them.

1.86/5  rDev -56.2%

Nasty!
I have heard Duvel mentioned many times since I started visiting this site so when I saw it in the store for the first time I couldn't resist trying it.
The bottle had a best before of November 2005. Seems like a long shelf-life, maybe thats the norm for this style.
It is a pale yellow lemony colour and is cloudy with a very large frothy head that just wont go away. You supposed to drink this through a straw or something?
The smell was active and yeasty with a hint of skunk.
The taste is not for me, I would compare it to a wheat beer which I am also not crazy about.
This beer tastes like what I imagine a beer tasting like in the middle of the brew process.
A real struggle to finish the bottle.

Duvel Belgian Golden Ale from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV