Duvel Belgian Golden Ale | Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Alströms:

Ratings: 7,964 |  Reviews: 2,846
1.62/5  rDev -61.9%

750 mL

A: Looks good, crystal clear with a HUGE head that sticks all over the glass. Lots of bubbles and a very very light yellow color.

S: Spicy and I dont know light? I smell corny but I think a lot of people would get pissy at me but hey fuckem. I smell a spicy coors light, and I swirled and warmed the beer to no end.

T: Meh. I think I just dont like the mouthfeel, but that caried over into the taste. Like drinking air that has spicyness. Not a real fan. The taste has very limited hop presence with a ... no wait no malt prescence because it was so carbonated I couldnt taste a damn thing...

M: Light, dry did I say light? For being so alcholic it doesnt carry over into a unique taste or mouthfeel. Just like an extremly fizzy beer with very few good qualities. Carbonation waaay to high, and I know its a Belgian, which apparently gives it supernatural qualities, but Im calling it saying I think what they did to this beer sucked.

D: I struggled and struggled to finish my 750 mL, but ended up tossing the rest. If you want a quick buzz go for it. But a good beer? Try DFH or stone. Because all I tasted here was hype. Belgian beers can make some crazy good brews, but this was not one of them.

1.86/5  rDev -56.2%

Nasty!
I have heard Duvel mentioned many times since I started visiting this site so when I saw it in the store for the first time I couldn't resist trying it.
The bottle had a best before of November 2005. Seems like a long shelf-life, maybe thats the norm for this style.
It is a pale yellow lemony colour and is cloudy with a very large frothy head that just wont go away. You supposed to drink this through a straw or something?
The smell was active and yeasty with a hint of skunk.
The taste is not for me, I would compare it to a wheat beer which I am also not crazy about.
This beer tastes like what I imagine a beer tasting like in the middle of the brew process.
A real struggle to finish the bottle.

1.86/5  rDev -56.2%

Recalling the massive head this beer pours I poured about as carefully as humanly possible into my snifter. Either this beer is old or I am pretty good at this. Tall white head built from somewhat larger bubbles over a pale and honestly pretty yellow body. The head being kept by multiple streams of bubbles racing to the top. There is a haziness to the body I can only assume comes from yeast.

The nose is dominated by a dry fruity yeast aroma. Mixed in with the yeast are hops but I can't tell which aromas are which here.

Citrus flavors finishing with a dry yeasty finish. Some cloves and a few others spices here as well. There are certainly some flavors here I cannot place, but they are subtle and frankly nothing here excites me what so ever. Where I find Duvel Triple Hop rather exciting, the regular is simply bland and lacking to me.

A very dry and high abv drink here that isn't refreshing. The carbonation requires one to drink slowly or burp uncontrollably.

Medium-thick bodied, but the just insane amount of carbonation on the tongue makes this beer feel very different. Unlike some beers that become creamy form that carbonation this one becomes drier as a result.

1.88/5  rDev -55.8%

A: Hazy, straw yellow with good head retention and thick bonewhite foam.

S: I got really bad aromas with this one, im thinking minnows, bait shop, old water.

T: Had a nice light estery quality with a hint of banana, but predominantly the alcohol is what stood out.

M: Had a soapy wash to it, but as mentioned the burn of the alcohol was most noticed in the mouthfeel.

D: Wouldnt go back, especially for the size and the harshness.

1.96/5  rDev -53.9%

11.26.2011 – Duvel Belgian Golden Ale. ABV: 8.5

Appearance: Bottle says to pour gently, so I started with a gentle pour. But I wasn’t getting any head, so I finish a little more aggressively. Still not much head. Nothing like the picture on the back of the bottle. About a half inch. Maybe the bottle was too cold right out of the fridge? Color is yellow-gold. A little cloudy. Grade: 3

Smell: Not great, a little stale. Reminds me a lot of a Miller High Life. Hoping that taste will not disappoint. I really want to like this beer given it’s “world class” status and all. Grade: 2

Taste: Champagne. Tasteless suds. Strange hoppiness, a little stale tasting. Lots of lemon. Some lilac, especially in the aftertaste. No malt. Grade: 2.5

Mouth: Bubbly as hell. Yes, hell-like is a good way to describe it. Perhaps this is where the “Duvel” name comes from. If I drink slowly, it fills my mouth with soapy suds. If I drink fast, it burns my throat and then fills my belly with soapy suds. (At this point I am wishing I was drinking a Miller High Life.) Grade: 1

Overall: Very disappointed. The smell is a turn off. The taste is a mix of weird and underwhelming. And the mouth is simply unbearable. In the name of non-abuse toward alcohol I will not dump it, but I may try to turn it into the bottom half of a black and tan in hopes of finding a redeeming use for this stuff. (That could be disaster, but it can’t be worse.) I have had Belgian whites and Belgian tripels before, and have liked both, but this particular beer is just not my style. It reminds me of everything I dislike about Pilsner Urquell multiplied by two. I have three more of these, so I may re-review when I am in a forgiving mood. Grade: 1

Served: 33cl Bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. (Still love the glass.)

bullshit. This is not very good.

2.06/5  rDev -51.5%

Puchased a 1 pint 9.4oz bottle from Costco.

Golden pale color, white head that reamains throught the pour and while drinking. Smell seems off.

Dont understand the bid deal, skunky like most European beers...nothing special.

Good news....gave me a nice buzz.

SmokeyP

2.08/5  rDev -51.1%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

Great taste, but not the best. Great if there is no other option.

2.1/5  rDev -50.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

2.1/5  rDev -50.6%

Bottle must have been shaken from the car ride home. Foam everywhere and huge pieces of yeast were in the head. I will be revisiting this one eventually.

2.19/5  rDev -48.5%

Assuming I didn't get a bad batch or a bottle from a case left outside for a week in summer, I expected more. To the nose and tongue this beer lacked the Belgian flavors of other golden ales and tasted very much like a high gravity, slightly more flavorful corona. I seriously considered finding a lime. I might try again in the future, but for now I can't say I like it at all.

2.2/5  rDev -48.2%

2.24/5  rDev -47.3%

Well I was really looking forward to trying this beer after all the great reviews....I can say my taste is for sure different that a lot of folks on this site.

First appearance is pretty good with that awesome head that just keeps coming, but the color just seems to be too light and clear, something else is going on here.

Smell, is this an old adjunct of some kind or what?

Taste, is thin, but seems to hide the high abv very well, but again it tastes like an American adjunct to me.

Drink, one is enough, I have 3 more to go and I will finish them somehow, maybe I will become enlightened as to why this beer is supposed to be so great...

2.25/5  rDev -47.1%