Duvel | Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Reviews: 2,786 | Ratings: 7,755
4.71/5  rDev +10%

Found at Blue line bar in Wicker Park Chicago. Served in Duvel wide tulip glass.

The appearance is quite a site with its cloudy yellow body and creamy huge white head.

It's aroma is light, sweet malts with a peppery spice.

Its flavor is perfection, well balenced, smooth, creamy, lightly fruity,
with a lively carbination and a nice dry finish.

Very drinkable going down, but watch out when you stand up, it's a little potent. Great beer.!

4.71/5  rDev +10%

My 2nd ever BA review on one of my longtime favorite brews. Poured into a tulip from a 330 ml stubby bottle.

A: Sublime, pure-white head, it almost makes you giggle with surprise at the shear size of it, an easy 4 fingers that keeps a pretty solid retention throughout. I don't know if you could call it "lacing", more like "chunking", giant craggy cliffs of meringue-like foam left behind on the sides of the glass and on top of the brew itself which was a beautifully clear pale-gold color until i disturbed the yeast and it became a little more hazy and somehow more gold in color. I've never seen anything like it -5.0

S: The smell is very subtle, strong scent of pastoral hay, light citrus and apple with some distinct peppery belgian yeast. Nice, but nothing mind-blowing -4.0

T: This is one area where Duvel shines in my opinion, it has all the flavors you'd expect from a belgian; the peppery yeast, apple skin, grapefruit, hay, banana phenols, light pilsner-esque hops and bright, sweet toasted wheat, maybe a touch of corriander. The only difference is the extreme balance achieved by duvel, every time you think one flavor is taking a dominant role, you take another sip and the flavor changes leaving you want to explore deeper. Also, alcohol content should be discussed here; with an 8.5% abv, you'd expect to taste some alcohol, and you do, especially as the brew warms. But its as if all the other flavors come in to perfectly support and mask it ever so slightly, the alcohol adds to the taste rather than detracts. One word to describe duvel's flavor? "elegant" 5.0

M: Champagne-like carbonation, airy/cloudy head. It starts out juicy and creamy gets sort of dry towards the middle where you're introduced to some warmth from the alcohol content and it ends sort of tart and sweet, leaving you wanting another sip. Very nice -4.5

D: This is where the "Devil" moniker comes into its own. So light, crisp and refreshing for an 8.5% brew, just the slightest hint of alcohol and each sip leaves you craving another one. Endlessly drinkable, if i could drink only one beer for the rest of my life, it would be duvel, hands-down. i had to struggle to keep some in the glass to finish the review -5.0

Overall, I'll admit i'm slightly bias. The first time i tried this beer i was living in india at the time, and had nothing but terrible terrible beer for months, until a friend of mine offered me an unassuming glass of pale, yellow beer which i assumed to be either carlsberg or tuborg . . . until it hit my tongue. he said that i had the biggest, most over-the-top, cartoonish double-take after my first sip as my mouth filled with the golden nectar. i wasn't expecting it and was absolutely floored by the depth and complexity. I thought i was looking through rose-colored glasses without having anything decent to compare it to for months, so i was cautious when i went to taste it again back in the states, and was pleasantly surprised when i found it just as heavenly as the first sip. I cannot rave enough about this beer.

4.71/5  rDev +10%

I had been looking forward to trying this, and it did not disappoint!

This beer pours with a huge thick head that will not go away. It has a deep golden yellow that is exceptional against the bright white head. Just a beautiful beer.

Nose borders on overpowering, but let's you know there is a formidable beer in your glass. A big chewy beer bursting with toasted grains and a perfect sour sweet balance. I found it to be mildly tangy and carbonated at first, but this seemed to diminish (likely due to the 8.5% abv washing over my tongue combined with lessening carbonation).

Just a wonderful drink....I can't wait for next one!!!!

Served in tulip glass.

Pours a cloudy, pale gold. Very noticeable carbonation. Snow-white head with ridiculous stickiness and outrageous retention. It isn't going anywhere.

Aromas of green apples, flambéed bananas, spices and yeast are prominent.

Very crisp pale malt flavor balanced superbly with a mild bitterness and a very pleasant carbonation. Alcohol is very elusive. Finishes quite dry with notes of clove and fruits.

Mouthfeel is just fantastic. Very clean and very smooth, with a medium-yet-lively body.

Drinkability is off the charts for me. Almost too delicious. But not quite.

4.71/5  rDev +10%

Poured beautiful slightly hazy straw color with a billowy, long lasting white head. Excellent lacing.
Clove like aroma, with peppery notes, taste is unique to this brand, almost pepper like with a good spice mix, some yeast in background. Mouthfeel is more dry than full, with a light warmth at the finish

Overall, this is worth the price and hype. Truly outstanding in all aspects

4.71/5  rDev +10%

A - Can you say gunshot sounding when the cork is popped? Holy crap that was loud. I poured it unhurried just like they suggest. The beer is pale yellow. The bubbles are rising.. and never-ending. Pretty cool to watch this upside down waterfall. The head is gigantic. 3-4 fingers, and fluffy as a pillow. Lace is just stuck all over the glass. This is probably the best looking beer I have ever seen.

S - Powerful yeasty aroma with a slap in the face of hops and citrus. That's the best way for me to describe it. More specifically it smells like lemon, not orange. Has a flower like smell to it. It's nice.

T - The taste is like no beer I have ever tasted before. It's actually going to be kind of hard to describe. It's actually a little spicy, almost kind of peppery. Once you get past to that it hits you with the citrus. Coriander and lemon. The hop smell is barely traceable in the taste, in my opinion. It's got a real dry smooth finish to it, and the aftertaste is barely noticeable. The alcohol isn't disgustingly high, but at 8.5%, I figured I'd get at least a taste of it. I'm glad I'm not. I like it much better this way.

M -Very crisp, and super carbonated. It's almost like a champagne on the tongue, it's so bubbly. Like I said before, the finish is pretty dry, smooth, and refreshing all at the same time. All that complicated stuff aside, surprisingly, it's light bodied which brings me to the next category of drinkability.

D - Due to it being low bodied and just amazing, makes this an ideal drinkable beer. It's so drinkable that I would say it's borderline dangerous because of the alcohol level. I'd definitely advise to try to take it easy, although you can definitely get caught up drinking a few of these. I'm going to be guilty of finishing this entire bomber much quicker than I had planned. I'm going to cut this review short now so I can get to finishing the beer!

4.71/5  rDev +10%

I poured the beer into a Duvel tulip glass. The best by date was 10 of 2008.

Appearance: The beer poured nearly flawless. The color was a very pleasing golden yellow coloration. There was a rolling boiling carbonation present in the glass. The head was one and a half inches thick white coloration. The head was nearly immortal and never resolved. There was thick lacin remaining behind on the glass. This is one sexy looking beer!

Smell: The beer is loaded with a very nice peppery lemon zest citrus punch. There is a nice fresh bread smell to the beer. The beer has a wild yeast (Brett) smell.

Taste: Holy molly Batman! This beer delivers on the smell. The beer has a pleasing maltyness. The beer has a nice hop combo. The beer has a great citrus and peppery goodness taste.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: This beer is medium bodied. The beer is crisp with a dry finish. The beer is well balanced. This is a very tasty beer treat from the Beer Gods. This is a nearly perfect beer drinking experience. There is very little a man could ask for from his beer.

4.71/5  rDev +10%

Crazy head that piles up two inches above the glass if you let it.

Simple and clean aroma of lemon and doughy Belgian yeast.

Light and bubbly on the palate, with complex Saaz hops, lemon, pepper, and spice. Big yeast character, and perfect balance. Alcohol is perfectly integrated. Long, evolving finish. I gave this a 4.5 at first, but was so impressed by the end of the glass that I had to come back and give it a 5. So interesting and delicious. Too bad I only had one.

This beer is what so many others try (and fail) to be. The sophisticated way to brew an intensely flavorful, hoppy beer (as opposed to many of the "extreme" american brews).

4.71/5  rDev +10%

A: Crisp golden yellow with a big foamy white head.

S: Tart, fresh apple, yeast, slight hint of spice

T: Absolutely wonderful. Very clean taste of sweetness and an apple-y spicy flavor. Finishes dry but the aftertaste is pronounced and very fresh.

M: Tingly from the high carbonation and abv. One of the smoother beers I've tried

O: My top 5 beers of all time. Flavorful and light, yet highly drinkable and inviting.

4.71/5  rDev +10%

As far as the 'standard' Belgian beers go, I like Duvel over Chimay or Hoegaarden. You can get it anywhere in Belgium and many places throughout Europe - as well as in the USA. Duvel has an attractive, thick and creamy head. The flavor is rich yet the beer itself, by my estimation, is relatively light. (The alcohol is hidden but it hits you. Hard.) This is a beer to be sipped slowly and appreciated.

4.71/5  rDev +10%

Spectacular! Served in a unique bubble necked bottle. Head is creamy, thick, condensing and everlasting. Color is a somewhat unattractive golden yellow, the only downside. Smells sweet and wheaty, and other indiscript pleasant aromas. One of the best tasting beers I've ever had, hints of malt, sugar, hoppy thickness. Carbonation stays with the flavor and enhances it. Aftertaste is much the same, but dies with a hint of wheat. Buy this when you see it!

4.71/5  rDev +10%

this beer is the best of the best

Appearance: Is wonderful...nice big white head with a gold body

Smell: some hops...malts and also some yeast and some citrus notes

Taste: superb ..nice and light but not to light its just wonderful...and aftertaste leaves you wanting more and more i should of picked up a couple of these bad boys

Mouthfeel: is not thin at all full of flavor and also aftertaste is great nothing bitter

Drinkability: is very very high too high for a 8.5% hah

4.71/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a tulip glass

L: light golden color lots of carbonation and a creamy white head that dissipated extremely slowly.

S: smooth hops with a little hint of lemon.

T: citrusy clean smooth hops with a nice yeast undertone, very light alcohol. Lots of lemon on the aftertaste.

F: heavy carbonation

O:very good beer. Will definitely pick up more if I have the chance to.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

A: A pale gold color with a fluffy white head and lacing down the glass. Crazy carbonation bubbles inside the beer.

S: Clove spice, hop, belgian yeast, funk, some biscuity malt aromas, a little alcohol and some fruity esters. Lots to appreciate in this aromatic beer.

T: The beer is very fruity to start and has sweet biscuity malt flavor up front also. There is a little bit of clove or coriander spice. Then the peppery alcohol warmth and hop flavors kick in along with the yeast funkiness. The finish is on the bitter side with the hop, clove, and peppery alcohol still on the tongue as the mouth dries.

M: very spicy and highly carbonated. Leaves the mouth semi-dry. Very refreshing for such a strong beer.

D: One of the best. Delicious, looks great, smells awesome, can drink a ton of it.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 330 mL stubby in to a Duvel tulip.

A- Pours a semi-transparent straw yellow with the most beautiful craggy white head I've ever seen on a beer. The head sticks around until the beer is gone. Also, there are tons of tiny bubbles are shooting up towards the top. This looks amazing.

S- The smell is pure sex. Mostly Belgian yeast, but there's so much more: apples, pears, bananas, citrus, clove, sweetness, sourness, hops. It's all there.

T- Everything mentioned in the smell applies to the taste. There's just little nip from the alcohol at the end, but I find that to be a positive thing.

M- The body is pretty light, but tons of carbonation fill your mouth with lively bubbles. Finishes clean and crisp.

O- This beer is just awesome, and extremely drinkable.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

Appearance and smell are great. Nice head that stays and a VERY nice yellow with small but constant bubbles.

champagne taste but still a very crisp and clean taste. I dont see a white ale getting better, to be honest.

A VERY drinkable beer that I would like to drink many more if not for the near $7 a bottle price. Beautiful. I think I have to have a bottle or two of this alwys read for drinking.

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Saw the price and the rating and took the plunge. Great beer that looks like Snoopy's root beer on Bon Voyage charlie brown. HUGE head, which i enjoy. Smells refreshing, almost like Sprite. This brew tastes heavenly and will having you craving another sip, and the mouth on this is delectable. Overall a definitive Belgium brew which others should strive for.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

What else can I say that everyone hasnt already? Poured from 750 mL bottle, best buy 11/09. Pops like a bottle of chamapne, pours a golden yellow with massive head, thick, rocky, and left large amounts of lace. Smell is of sour citrus, some alcohol, and other fruits, I swear I detect some banana and at times reminds me of a hefe. Taste is superb, thats the only way to describe. High carbonation and an almost creamy feel to it. This might be the best beer I've every had so I dont have too many words to describe it other than that. Only a 4 for drinkability as it does pack a punch to it so a couple glasses of this and I couldnt handle any more.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

It started as I seen the bottle, it was the only one left sitting on the counter as it seemed it was destined for me to cherish for the night. As I poured I was curious as one of the most noticable details was the foamy top that reminded me of such south american beers I had before. It poured a rich golden blonde with a sweet aroma and luscious fruity essence that was one of the main attractions I had hoped for. The taste was rather clean and crisp with a warm spice of after taste. The ABV of 8.5% was cleary masked in the flavor though it later help in keeping warm. This is a keeper, if you have a chance to spot the black label give this a try.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

Holy crap this beer is delicious.

When poured into the trademark tulip glass that came with the package deal, I'll have to admit that I don't particularly care for the 50/50 mix. Aside from that, this beer is delicious.

I was talking to my girlfried at the time I took my first sip, and I just paused in mid-sentence to admire the delicious-ness of Duvel. Naturally, I got yelled at for ignoring her for beer.. But it was worth it.

Appearance: 4
Smell: 4.5
Taste: 5
Mouthfeel: 5
Drinkability: 4.5

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours a cloudy golden yellow color with a tall white fluffy head. As the head slowly recedes it leaves some very cool lacing on my glass. The beer is no as transparent as I expected. The smell is wonderful, it smells of sweet grain. The taste is of lemon-citrus, yeast with bits of hops and wheat. The 8.5% is hidden quite well. Mouthfeel is perfect, light, crisp and refreshing without being watery. Drinkability is great, but at 8.5% ABV, I don't think I'll let myself have more than one glass at a time.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

A ~ This beer pours a very nice golden color, POUR THIS BEER SLOW!!! The head on this beer is ridiculous, on a moderate pour I got a 16 oz glass over half full of the white foam. Once it sits it shrinks down to a one or two inch head that looks lightly like whipped cream.

S ~ Smells very fruity and citrusy, definitely some wheat and yeast in there.

T ~ Some apple... maybe pear, some hop bitterness lasts for a little while after each sip. Very good flavor.

M ~ Very carbonated, especially when first served and chilled, less noticeable once the beer warms a little.

Overall a good beer, definitely happy with the purchase... wish they gave you a full 12 oz instead of 11.2, but its not the end of the world. Will buy again.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

A slow pour produces a large foamy head. The beer is a beautiful golden color with continuous carbonation. The aroma is unique and yeasty with a sweet fruitiness and hints of tobacco. The beer lightly dances on the palate due to the high carbonation. The alcohol comes through along with some spice. The finish is dry and lasting. A very good and drinkable beer.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

Duvel means devil. This is a great great beer.

Poured from a bottle into a Duvel tulip (0.33L bottle with no date). Beer is hazy and yellow, forms a thick aggressive white head that slowly falls away leaving a complicated net of lacing all over the glass. Good head retention.

Sweet fruit, esters, some yeast, some alcohol, some wheat like aromas, smells amazing.

A little sweet, medium to low bodied. A slight wheaty aftertaste but its not disturbing. Nice fruit flavors. Drinkability insanely high. I love this beer. Mouthfeel has great connectivity and overall one of the best IMO. I love this beer.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

Served out of a bottle into a chalice.

Much to my surprise, immediately after opening the bottle overflowed, but once poured into the glass had a nice strong 1+ cm head that lasted for the whole 20-30 minute drinking session. The beer was a bit clearer than I had expected but had a wonderful nose, that was inviting me to enjoy it. It poured wonderfully over the palate with a fruity and spicy finish. The beer continued to fizz in my mouth. Overall a stelar beer, one I would buy more often if not for the cost.

Duvel from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV