Duvel | Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Reviews: 2,800 | Ratings: 7,803
4.7/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a wonderful pale peach color with a light tan head that leaves considerable lacing in wispy sheets down the wine glass.

Smells like apple peels and spices.

Malt presence is smooth and huge, apple peel dominates the flavor profile. Hop bitterness is mildly spicy and floral and blends in well with the overall flavor. This beer finishes sweet and mildly Belgian style yeasty, which is a good thing. One of the best tasting beers in the world, overall very drinkable and very good.

Lighter to medium bodied with a noticable alcohol character that does not really dominate or detract from the fruity and amazing flavors.

Quite drinkable, I will buy many more.

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

I have wanted to try one of my four bottles of duvel ever since my wife brought them up from her trip to Florida. There they have sat beckoning to me. I thought that with all the rave reviews and high expectations this beer would drastically fall short, but it is absolutely delightful.

I poured my unaged Duvel into the Duvel glass. Oh how I have wanted to use this glass to hold its true beer. This is actually a first for me - but not the last. I plan to house many beers in their brewery's glass as soon as I can collect more. The head was full - all the way to the top just like in Michael Jackson's book. Then the 1/2 inch lacing stayed for the rest of the beer.

The golden, clear, and very carbonated look is matched with the aroma. This may sound weird, but the smell is like that of an elephant ear from the fair. I can smell cinnamon, nutmeg, bread, and many other spices in this beer. Wow this is amazing and I haven't even gotten to the taste!

The mouthfeel is really surprising. At 8.5% ABV I was expecting a little heavier feel. By far and away the mouthfeel is much lighter and much much more carbonated than expected. The pilsner malt is really doing it for me here. But, I do know that the malt is just one small aspect. I believe the yeast strain that was derrived for this ale is the key factor to the unique flavors and smells. I would love to try other beers made with the same strain.

The taste is like several beers at the same time and each sip brings out a new flavor. The first sip is twangy almost like a wheat. The next like a bitter german pilsner. I must say I really enjoy Belgium golden ale. For a beer produced in such great quantity Moortgat has done a fine job in maintaining quality. I feel quite blessed to have received my bounty.

The end note of this beer is clean and hoppy. I enjoyed it greatly and will enjoy the other three in my closet. Here's to Duvel, "one devil of a beer."

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

My first review so I might as well start with one of the best! Bought the 4 pack with the coveted Duvel tulip glass, lovely. Watched a goofy video on how to properly pour this stuff, doesn't really seem to matter though it pours perfect everytime!
The initial appearance is fantastic, with a huge foamy head that lingers for several minutes, and beautiful copper orange that has a unique glow... it may be radioactive!
The smell is an exceptional mix of yeast and grain of some sort, it just smells damn good!
The first taste seems to tickle the tongue and invites you to really keep it in your mouth with a clean, crisp finish, you just keep wanting more! Perfect Belgium.
Overall this is one, if not the #1 most drinkable beer I have ever had. Can't wait for the next chance to try this again.
Cheers!!

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

750 ML bottle. Poured into a chalice.

Atomic activity with extra jazzy carbonation, classic Pale gold/Straw color. Impressivly thick and foamy head 3", retained well. Super light and fluffy

Smells of fine,herbal and spicy belgian yeast upfront and semi-sweet Pilsner malt. Fresh herbals, golden wheat, dry leaves and green veggies round out the nose.

The most impressive aspect of this classic is the BALANCE. It's perfect, with semi-sweet, crispy, wheat flavored malt. The malt is super light and crispy pilsner malt. Very herbal and spicy yeasties combined with a green, leafy hop finish. right on. The yeast is packed with flavor, earthy, musty, wheatie, it's got it all! and the clean, crispy pilsner malt adds a sublime edge that forces you back for more!! The finish also has a bitter, earthy, dry and tangy yeast/hop flavor. To be honest, I feel most American brewed versions pale in comparisson to the lively energy in the yeast strain that provides so much unique flavor.

Feels very clean and crisp, refreshing and active with a decent bite and gritty, dry edge, with a Belgian smoothness at the end, extremely complex feel.

This is a pure classic.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Served in a duvel branded tulip glass

Appearance: Golden body with 3-4 fingers of head. Nice lacing and definitely had a fresh look

Smell: Pronounced lemon and citrus, biscuit malt, some yeast, touch of spicy hops.

Taste: lemony, seltzer like character. I would say that there is a good amount of hop character backed by some malt but not too much. a little bit of alcohol shines through. A slight hop aftertaste that reminds you that it is a little strong.

Mouth feel: medium just right. Not too watery but not viscous either.

Overall I think it is an excellent beer and definitely would drink it if someone gave it to me or if I saw it on tap.

4.71/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured on draft into a duvel tulip in Brussels.

Look is a hazy golden with a thick foamy white head.

Aroma is a biscuity malt with estery yeast.

Taste is light and zingy. Little lemon tartness with some amazing malt backbone.

Delicious.

4.71/5  rDev +10%

Simply a fantastic beer. Well crafted doesn't do this one justice. Everything from the sturdy bottle, to the well made duvel tulip, to the carbonation & clarity of the beer, and to the amazing taste has been well thought out and executed. One of my favorite aspects of this is the appearance of the beer, which isn't at all indicative of the flavors contained therein. Tasting provides flavors of Belgian pilsner malt, the Saaz hops, and the unique tart/pear-like flavor that comes from the yeast strain used. Just a hint of alcohol lets you know that this is a serious beer, but is so well blended that it is hardly noticeable. Completely refreshing, could be had at any time of the year. Definitely a must try if you haven't ever picked this one up.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: pale gold and crystal clear, with vibrant bubbles that stream from the bottom and persist throughout the drink. The Duvel head is legendary: I call it, "big-as-ya-want-it," because you could easily overfill even the most generous glass with a center-pour of this beer.

S: golden orchard fruits, earthy and bright; floral; tangy yeastiness

T: sharp, crisp, alcohol, yeast, hops, some pepperiness and spice, deeper pale fruits and darker spices orchard rich, yet with a crispness

M: astringent, tart, biting, brisk; light-medium body, super carbonation; scintillating

O: this is a classic drink - limitless in its pairings, BTW - I honestly consider this beer to be the a top 5 Belgian strong pale ale. Duvel is my standard by which other Belgian strong pale ales are measured. Any BA is best served by having a Duvel at some point.

4.71/5  rDev +10%

Wow... I haven't reviewed a beer in a while, but after revisiting this old standby, I realized I had never reviewed it... and needed to.

This is an exceptional beer -- perhaps one of the most balanced and smooth Belgian strong pale ales ever created. The appearance out of the bottle is amazing -- no matter how careful you are, this produces a pillowy, meringue-like white head on top of a relatively pale yellow liquid with lively carbonation. The effect is intensified if you pour it into a tulip glass.
The smell is very yeasty and doughy, with hints of orange and coriander.
What an astounding taste. Sweet biscuity flavors up front, followed immediately by mango, pineapple, pear, and an extremely dry cidery finish that carries with it a long, lingering spiciness that is reminiscent of white pepper, coriander, and lemongrass. The crisp finish makes this a natural match for many foods, but particularly spicy foods such as Indian, Thai, or Middle Eastern.
The mouthfeel is smooth, with lively carbonation. Drinkability is off the charts, and the relatively high alcohol percentage is oh-so-very well hidden.
One of the classics.

4.71/5  rDev +10%

Found at Blue line bar in Wicker Park Chicago. Served in Duvel wide tulip glass.

The appearance is quite a site with its cloudy yellow body and creamy huge white head.

It's aroma is light, sweet malts with a peppery spice.

Its flavor is perfection, well balenced, smooth, creamy, lightly fruity,
with a lively carbination and a nice dry finish.

Very drinkable going down, but watch out when you stand up, it's a little potent. Great beer.!

4.71/5  rDev +10%

My 2nd ever BA review on one of my longtime favorite brews. Poured into a tulip from a 330 ml stubby bottle.

A: Sublime, pure-white head, it almost makes you giggle with surprise at the shear size of it, an easy 4 fingers that keeps a pretty solid retention throughout. I don't know if you could call it "lacing", more like "chunking", giant craggy cliffs of meringue-like foam left behind on the sides of the glass and on top of the brew itself which was a beautifully clear pale-gold color until i disturbed the yeast and it became a little more hazy and somehow more gold in color. I've never seen anything like it -5.0

S: The smell is very subtle, strong scent of pastoral hay, light citrus and apple with some distinct peppery belgian yeast. Nice, but nothing mind-blowing -4.0

T: This is one area where Duvel shines in my opinion, it has all the flavors you'd expect from a belgian; the peppery yeast, apple skin, grapefruit, hay, banana phenols, light pilsner-esque hops and bright, sweet toasted wheat, maybe a touch of corriander. The only difference is the extreme balance achieved by duvel, every time you think one flavor is taking a dominant role, you take another sip and the flavor changes leaving you want to explore deeper. Also, alcohol content should be discussed here; with an 8.5% abv, you'd expect to taste some alcohol, and you do, especially as the brew warms. But its as if all the other flavors come in to perfectly support and mask it ever so slightly, the alcohol adds to the taste rather than detracts. One word to describe duvel's flavor? "elegant" 5.0

M: Champagne-like carbonation, airy/cloudy head. It starts out juicy and creamy gets sort of dry towards the middle where you're introduced to some warmth from the alcohol content and it ends sort of tart and sweet, leaving you wanting another sip. Very nice -4.5

D: This is where the "Devil" moniker comes into its own. So light, crisp and refreshing for an 8.5% brew, just the slightest hint of alcohol and each sip leaves you craving another one. Endlessly drinkable, if i could drink only one beer for the rest of my life, it would be duvel, hands-down. i had to struggle to keep some in the glass to finish the review -5.0

Overall, I'll admit i'm slightly bias. The first time i tried this beer i was living in india at the time, and had nothing but terrible terrible beer for months, until a friend of mine offered me an unassuming glass of pale, yellow beer which i assumed to be either carlsberg or tuborg . . . until it hit my tongue. he said that i had the biggest, most over-the-top, cartoonish double-take after my first sip as my mouth filled with the golden nectar. i wasn't expecting it and was absolutely floored by the depth and complexity. I thought i was looking through rose-colored glasses without having anything decent to compare it to for months, so i was cautious when i went to taste it again back in the states, and was pleasantly surprised when i found it just as heavenly as the first sip. I cannot rave enough about this beer.

4.71/5  rDev +10%

I had been looking forward to trying this, and it did not disappoint!

This beer pours with a huge thick head that will not go away. It has a deep golden yellow that is exceptional against the bright white head. Just a beautiful beer.

Nose borders on overpowering, but let's you know there is a formidable beer in your glass. A big chewy beer bursting with toasted grains and a perfect sour sweet balance. I found it to be mildly tangy and carbonated at first, but this seemed to diminish (likely due to the 8.5% abv washing over my tongue combined with lessening carbonation).

Just a wonderful drink....I can't wait for next one!!!!

Served in tulip glass.

Pours a cloudy, pale gold. Very noticeable carbonation. Snow-white head with ridiculous stickiness and outrageous retention. It isn't going anywhere.

Aromas of green apples, flambéed bananas, spices and yeast are prominent.

Very crisp pale malt flavor balanced superbly with a mild bitterness and a very pleasant carbonation. Alcohol is very elusive. Finishes quite dry with notes of clove and fruits.

Mouthfeel is just fantastic. Very clean and very smooth, with a medium-yet-lively body.

Drinkability is off the charts for me. Almost too delicious. But not quite.

4.71/5  rDev +10%

Poured beautiful slightly hazy straw color with a billowy, long lasting white head. Excellent lacing.
Clove like aroma, with peppery notes, taste is unique to this brand, almost pepper like with a good spice mix, some yeast in background. Mouthfeel is more dry than full, with a light warmth at the finish

Overall, this is worth the price and hype. Truly outstanding in all aspects

4.71/5  rDev +10%

A - Can you say gunshot sounding when the cork is popped? Holy crap that was loud. I poured it unhurried just like they suggest. The beer is pale yellow. The bubbles are rising.. and never-ending. Pretty cool to watch this upside down waterfall. The head is gigantic. 3-4 fingers, and fluffy as a pillow. Lace is just stuck all over the glass. This is probably the best looking beer I have ever seen.

S - Powerful yeasty aroma with a slap in the face of hops and citrus. That's the best way for me to describe it. More specifically it smells like lemon, not orange. Has a flower like smell to it. It's nice.

T - The taste is like no beer I have ever tasted before. It's actually going to be kind of hard to describe. It's actually a little spicy, almost kind of peppery. Once you get past to that it hits you with the citrus. Coriander and lemon. The hop smell is barely traceable in the taste, in my opinion. It's got a real dry smooth finish to it, and the aftertaste is barely noticeable. The alcohol isn't disgustingly high, but at 8.5%, I figured I'd get at least a taste of it. I'm glad I'm not. I like it much better this way.

M -Very crisp, and super carbonated. It's almost like a champagne on the tongue, it's so bubbly. Like I said before, the finish is pretty dry, smooth, and refreshing all at the same time. All that complicated stuff aside, surprisingly, it's light bodied which brings me to the next category of drinkability.

D - Due to it being low bodied and just amazing, makes this an ideal drinkable beer. It's so drinkable that I would say it's borderline dangerous because of the alcohol level. I'd definitely advise to try to take it easy, although you can definitely get caught up drinking a few of these. I'm going to be guilty of finishing this entire bomber much quicker than I had planned. I'm going to cut this review short now so I can get to finishing the beer!

4.71/5  rDev +10%

I poured the beer into a Duvel tulip glass. The best by date was 10 of 2008.

Appearance: The beer poured nearly flawless. The color was a very pleasing golden yellow coloration. There was a rolling boiling carbonation present in the glass. The head was one and a half inches thick white coloration. The head was nearly immortal and never resolved. There was thick lacin remaining behind on the glass. This is one sexy looking beer!

Smell: The beer is loaded with a very nice peppery lemon zest citrus punch. There is a nice fresh bread smell to the beer. The beer has a wild yeast (Brett) smell.

Taste: Holy molly Batman! This beer delivers on the smell. The beer has a pleasing maltyness. The beer has a nice hop combo. The beer has a great citrus and peppery goodness taste.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: This beer is medium bodied. The beer is crisp with a dry finish. The beer is well balanced. This is a very tasty beer treat from the Beer Gods. This is a nearly perfect beer drinking experience. There is very little a man could ask for from his beer.

4.71/5  rDev +10%

Crazy head that piles up two inches above the glass if you let it.

Simple and clean aroma of lemon and doughy Belgian yeast.

Light and bubbly on the palate, with complex Saaz hops, lemon, pepper, and spice. Big yeast character, and perfect balance. Alcohol is perfectly integrated. Long, evolving finish. I gave this a 4.5 at first, but was so impressed by the end of the glass that I had to come back and give it a 5. So interesting and delicious. Too bad I only had one.

This beer is what so many others try (and fail) to be. The sophisticated way to brew an intensely flavorful, hoppy beer (as opposed to many of the "extreme" american brews).

4.71/5  rDev +10%

A: Crisp golden yellow with a big foamy white head.

S: Tart, fresh apple, yeast, slight hint of spice

T: Absolutely wonderful. Very clean taste of sweetness and an apple-y spicy flavor. Finishes dry but the aftertaste is pronounced and very fresh.

M: Tingly from the high carbonation and abv. One of the smoother beers I've tried

O: My top 5 beers of all time. Flavorful and light, yet highly drinkable and inviting.

4.71/5  rDev +10%

As far as the 'standard' Belgian beers go, I like Duvel over Chimay or Hoegaarden. You can get it anywhere in Belgium and many places throughout Europe - as well as in the USA. Duvel has an attractive, thick and creamy head. The flavor is rich yet the beer itself, by my estimation, is relatively light. (The alcohol is hidden but it hits you. Hard.) This is a beer to be sipped slowly and appreciated.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L: Muted gold with a frothy white head. Clouds and settles quickly. Head does not dissipate.
S: Bright, open, hints of lemon and bread.
T: Again, quite light and airy. Bitter. You wouldn't know it's 8%. Very easy to drink.
F: Very effervescent, very dry.
O: Delicious Belgian Pale Ale.

4.71/5  rDev +10%

Spectacular! Served in a unique bubble necked bottle. Head is creamy, thick, condensing and everlasting. Color is a somewhat unattractive golden yellow, the only downside. Smells sweet and wheaty, and other indiscript pleasant aromas. One of the best tasting beers I've ever had, hints of malt, sugar, hoppy thickness. Carbonation stays with the flavor and enhances it. Aftertaste is much the same, but dies with a hint of wheat. Buy this when you see it!

4.71/5  rDev +10%

this beer is the best of the best

Appearance: Is wonderful...nice big white head with a gold body

Smell: some hops...malts and also some yeast and some citrus notes

Taste: superb ..nice and light but not to light its just wonderful...and aftertaste leaves you wanting more and more i should of picked up a couple of these bad boys

Mouthfeel: is not thin at all full of flavor and also aftertaste is great nothing bitter

Drinkability: is very very high too high for a 8.5% hah

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a tulip glass

L: light golden color lots of carbonation and a creamy white head that dissipated extremely slowly.

S: smooth hops with a little hint of lemon.

T: citrusy clean smooth hops with a nice yeast undertone, very light alcohol. Lots of lemon on the aftertaste.

F: heavy carbonation

O:very good beer. Will definitely pick up more if I have the chance to.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

A: A pale gold color with a fluffy white head and lacing down the glass. Crazy carbonation bubbles inside the beer.

S: Clove spice, hop, belgian yeast, funk, some biscuity malt aromas, a little alcohol and some fruity esters. Lots to appreciate in this aromatic beer.

T: The beer is very fruity to start and has sweet biscuity malt flavor up front also. There is a little bit of clove or coriander spice. Then the peppery alcohol warmth and hop flavors kick in along with the yeast funkiness. The finish is on the bitter side with the hop, clove, and peppery alcohol still on the tongue as the mouth dries.

M: very spicy and highly carbonated. Leaves the mouth semi-dry. Very refreshing for such a strong beer.

D: One of the best. Delicious, looks great, smells awesome, can drink a ton of it.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 330 mL stubby in to a Duvel tulip.

A- Pours a semi-transparent straw yellow with the most beautiful craggy white head I've ever seen on a beer. The head sticks around until the beer is gone. Also, there are tons of tiny bubbles are shooting up towards the top. This looks amazing.

S- The smell is pure sex. Mostly Belgian yeast, but there's so much more: apples, pears, bananas, citrus, clove, sweetness, sourness, hops. It's all there.

T- Everything mentioned in the smell applies to the taste. There's just little nip from the alcohol at the end, but I find that to be a positive thing.

M- The body is pretty light, but tons of carbonation fill your mouth with lively bubbles. Finishes clean and crisp.

O- This beer is just awesome, and extremely drinkable.

Duvel from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV