Duvel Belgian Golden Ale | Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Ratings: 7,945 |  Reviews: 2,841

4.51/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Duvel pours a beautiful hazy yellow with almost 3 fingers of fluffy white head. Smells of apples, bananas, and whole wheat bread. The taste is smooth and dry, with hints of fruit, spice and cracker. Very little hop bitterness..if any. Just a fantastic mouthfeel, it's like what a good champagne wished it could be. Light bodied, highly carbonated, very light sweetness, dry.

I had never tried this beer before and although it's not my usual hop-bomb type of brew, I decided to delve in with a 4 pack anyway. The first bottle I thought was just OK...By the last of the 4 pack I begrudgingly came to this realization...this is one of th finest easy drinking, alcohol hiding, delicious beers I have ever had. It will now be a staple in my fridge, and would most likely choose this beer over the many IPA's I drink on a regular basis. Advice...drink this bad boy nice and cold.

3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

4.29/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

3.93/5  rDev -8.2%

Note to self- first pilsner to not hurt my head.
Also, heed advice on label, "Pour unhurriedly".

Good stuff... I'm just trying to make this enough characters to submit. Wow, it's a lot harder to get to 250 characters than I remember in school. If only there was a way to make notes without a review. Or if there is, hopefully I'll figure it out soon.

Duvel Belgian Golden Ale from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV