Duvel | Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Reviews: 2,807 | Ratings: 7,826
4.36/5  rDev +1.9%

I poured this into a Riesling glass to focus the nose. A thick, thick foam that leaves something transcending "laces" (belts? skirts?) on the glass and staying there.

I only smelled a faint apple/pair aroma.

This has a great pale malt flavor with a straw and apple/pair liaison with a phenoli hint followed by a mild hop bite.

Mouthfeel is like good champagne, without the mineral taste. Highly bubbly (your eyes don't lie) and a warming full body.

4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

Served in glass from 750ml.
Golden color with great head. The head lasted a long time.
Pretty smooth taste with a slight hoppy taste. Balanced
Very good mouthfeel
This is a good example of a ale that I can drink all night, not to say I would be able to stand after that, but it would be fun!!!!
Recommended!

4.45/5  rDev +4%

Wow. What a Beer. It has hazy golden color with a nice big fluffy white head that laced all the way down. It smelled of vibrant citrus and tasted overwhemingly of fruits and citrus. The taste just overwhelms you when it hits your taste buds. It felt very fullbodied, and is very smooth. I agree with a previous reviewer that this beer is best to be sipped and savored. I didn't want this glass to ever run dry.

4.07/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from a 750ml bottle:

a- light, honey-yellow with a thin, but tall head

s- a lot of sweet fruit aromas and some citrus, maybe lemon peel-ish highlights

t- slightly sweet up front, then leads into a balanced bitterness with complementary spice notes

m- very light bodied and highly carbonated

d- I found this to be a great refreshing yet relatively high gravity beer. An excellent combination of potency, taste, and refreshment.

4.41/5  rDev +3%

Pours golden with an unmatched billowy cumulus cloud head into my duvel tulip. Pinprick bubbles rise much like a fine champagne.

Doughy yeast on the nose with hints of orange and bananas.

Tastes slighly sweet (but not too) woth lots of different fruit tastes to baffle the toungue. Beautiful mouthfeel with the right amont of carbonation and zing. The ultimate belgian pale for a reason.

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

Corked and caged 750 ml bottle.

Duvel pours a paler shade of gold than I expected. The head on this beer is immaculate. It looks like someone cut out styrofoam and laid it on the top of my beer.

There is a constant stream of bubbles and the beer seems very alive.

In the mouth it is very lively and has the perfect weight. It is not too light or watery but it isn't heavy and lethargic either.

The blend of spices comes across right away. Coriander is most prominent but there are strong hints of red and black pepper and even a little hoppy bitterness. The flavor is strait forward yet mysterious. It has a bit of a white grape, sour finish but not enought to make you pucker.

An amazing beer that I could drink all night or have a snifter of.

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Golden orange colored beer with a white everlasting compact foam, a delightful for your sight looking it to reflected light.Hoppy and intense fruity aroma,wonderful.Its taste is malty sweet ,very complex, very pleasant, even though is high in alcohol content it is well hidden to your palate.Medium bodied ,very smooth mouthfeel.Fantastic beer!!!

3.3/5  rDev -22.9%

330mL bottle poured into a pint glass.
Appearance: Very light golden color. Huge, huge amounts of shock white fizzy head that turns into clumps of white foam. Huge clumpy lacing stick to the glass.

Smell: Nothing remarkable. Citrus and yeast.

Taste: Boozy. Citrus, pear and very yeasty.

Mouthfeel: As the head indicated it's heavly carbonated. Smooth swallow and little after taste.

Drinkability: Typical Belgian Strong. Not really sure what all the hype is about. I'm not a fan of the style but even so I don't see anything to write home about here.

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured into tulip glass

A: A beutiful beer. Looks like liquid gold with a thick white head sitting on top. The head dissipates to a fingers-width.

S: Musty, yet aromatic. Spicy

T: Lots of fruit. Sweet and yet gamey. Plays with lots of different flavors on the tongue. Notes of citrus

M: Smooth, not overcarbonated. Wonderful consistency for sipping, or even gulps if you love to waste money and do not feel like appreciating what you are holding.

I waited with baited breath when I tried this beer. I feared the hype was just that. But it wasn't. This beer is everything they said it would be. It tastes incredible, leaving nothing to be desired. It has depth of flavor while still remaining tasty and accessible. It is a supremely balanced beer. I enjoyed every single drop.

Also, this truly is a beer of many vocations. I happened to enjoy it after a meal, however upon retrospection I believe it would have gone very good with the meal too.

Duvel lives up to its image and is worth exploring for any skeptics wondering about the hype.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Light yellow color with one finger head with minimal lacing. Some cloudiness.
S: Citrus, straw, and wheat.
T: the alcohol content of 8.5% is well hidden. Pretty good flavor with hints of wheat and citrus.
M: interesting trick which can extract the alcohol flavor, (why would you want to) is to smack your tongue off the roof of your mouth a few times. Suddenly, you can taste the alcohol.
O: Mediocre.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Look - 5 | cloudy golden straw, 2 finger head that doesn't dissappear and bubbles forming on the glass.

Smell - 4.5| fresh bread, cherries plums and clove and nutmeg

Taste - 4.75 | clove, plum, bread, pepper, pine bitterness. Finnish dominated by pine.

Feel - 4.5 | medium body with high carbonation and a dry finish

Overall - 4.75

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours a golden yellow with an out of control head white head that last quite a while. Little bubbles continuously coming up from the bottom of the glass. It has a pleasant aroma of fruit and yeast. You can taste the light fruit and malty flavor it also has a nice little hint of spice. It is very drinkable even with the high content of alcohol. It might be a little pricey for some but I’ll take quality over quantity any day. It's good to have the Devil in your collection.

3.55/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I had this fine ale with dinner tonight: pork chops, sweet potatos, sauerkraut, and apples.

Appearance- frothy white head that reared up as I poured ( I know the bottle says "pour slowly", I didn't) and settled down to a thin foamy hat. Color is a golden-piss-yellow.

Smell - fruity, slight hoppiness, citrusy, and a bit skunky that reminds me of Heineken and Grolsch.

Taste - smooth, fruity at the front with a slight hop bitterness at the back end. Slight effervescent mouthfeel - tiny bubbles dancing and dying in my mouth. Has a mild bitter aftertaste that I'm not too thrilled about.

Nice beer no doubt, however, with the plethora of choices we have, I won't be scrambling for this.

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%

An outstanding beer, with a singular combination of malt, hops and fermentation characters.
Its famous white head is a pleasure for the eyes.
A pale golden colour that hides the strong flavours.
Equilibrium between hop and malt flavours.
A fantastic fermentation flavor profile, increased by flavours from the bottle refermentation.
You must try.

4.56/5  rDev +6.5%

I've been meaning to try this one out. Finally bought it with the snifter gift pack. Glad I did. I can always use another snifter.

First thing I noticed was the pure clarity of this brew. It's amazing. My pour was a little bit under par but it had a huge white head. It was thick and shapeful. Lacing all the way down the snifter. Carbonation is astounding a constant line of bubbles from the base of the snifter. Fruity aroma. Taste of alcohol and mild hop combination.

One of the best brews I've had. The paleness is deceiving. This is delicious. I'm going to love the next 4 that came with the pack.

4.27/5  rDev -0.2%

Picked this up in a large corked bottle. I had heard about this beer but never tried it.
Poured out into a wine glass, got a huge 3.5 finger head. Gorgeous golden, crisp color. Strong carbonation
Strong banana ester scent, mild (very mild) even hop aroma, light honey-like notes.
The banana ester was much more evident when I got half way through the glass and had the space to agitate and swirl the brew around. MAN that banana was strong, clean, and impressive.
The taste was that of banana, honey, super pale malt, light bittering hop that was very well balanced. Dry and highly carbonated with a slight warmth from the 8.5% ABV.
As I am not a huge fan of the banana flavor, this was quite good for the style, and everyone that tried it agreed that it was exceptional.

3.73/5  rDev -12.9%

A- This beer poured a clear yellow-gold with a 1 finger head from a conservative pour. Very clear and light colored.

S- I had seen some reviews describing the smell as having a hint of apples and Id have to agree. There is also a semi-strong hops presence.

T- I definitely taste what seems like grapes. Grains are present although not very unique in taste. There is a nice bite towards the end and surprisingly it hides its alcohol well.

M- Very crisp and dry. Like champagne.

4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

Visual appeal: a bubbly, misty bar of shining gold, appealing streaks, almost continuous effervescence

Smell: very reminiscent of hard apple cider, mild hop aroma, strong yeast, really grew on me as beer warmed

Flavor: Pilsner malts and Bohemian hops and very strong cloudy yeast flavor lingers a long time, feel warmth of alcohol on back of palette, hints of citrus but not strong enough, I'd prefer this a little sweeter, however

Mouthfeel: lovely effervescence plays with whole of tongue

Drinkability: heavy ABV--sipping beer, definitely would not drink more than one at a time

My first ever Belgian ale, right before the yank Memorial Day weekend, and I'm definitely feeling it (the ale, that is.) I have "gained a level." Combined with spicy tacos, and not a good choice. Beer became bitterer. Lager would have beer better.

3.63/5  rDev -15.2%

Have been drinking this one for a while, it is very common & well-known in Belgium, the first non-macro/ fizzy yellow beer I tried, I don't drink it that much these days, I used to be more exited about it but it is still a nice beer:

A: big fluffy white head that sort of collapses instead of disappearing, always nice to see, slightly but not much hazy yellow, cool glass
S: strong smell of hops, floral, yeast, hint of citrus/lemon peel
T: yeast, clean bitter hops (strong by Belgian standards), hint of sweet malts, lemongrass, slight alcohol bite in finish
M: lot of carbonation, dry finish
D: given the abv, this one is not hard to drink, easy even, hard to believe for me actually how hyped this is in the States

3.64/5  rDev -15%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Served in a pint bottle, Bottle conditioned with long maturation. A standard Belgium Strong Pale Ale. Head was light and the taste lightly sweet and moderately hoppy. appearance was golden blonde. Medium body, mellow flavor, with a slightly sour aftertaste.

4.75/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Very light jonquil/gold body with a crisp ivory head.

Aroma: A beautiful blend of light grains, yeast, and grass-notes.

Taste: Much like the aroma, but with an earthy backbone and almost citrus-like resolve in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: A fair amount of carbonation, if not an ideal amount; very fitting for a strong ale.

Overall: We all know that 'Duvel' is one of those classics that work whenever and wherever; cool summer nights or by the fireplace in the dead of winter - a true classic. However, I felt that it was missing an extra...something. To be fair, I will stand behind 'Duvel' as one of the "can't-go-wrong" beers, but if only it had an extra bit of 'oomph'...

4.03/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

L:Clear gloden color, thick heading but disappear quite fast, almost no lacing S:yeast, not much alcohol T: a bit of citrus, quite refreshing, bitterness aftertaste alcohol is hidden well. Feel of alcohol afterward, warming. Overall: good one, not so complex

2.8/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Clear straw colored beer with impressive and long lasting head. Alcohol level is way in the background. However it's light body does nothing to counter the extreme bitterness and the smell is more tire fire than spicy hops. Any complexity or fruity character is masked by the overall harshness of the dominant flavors and aroma.

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

I'm a relative newcomer to beligian strong ales, but one encounter with this beauty was all it took to hook me. I ordered it at the Other Side Cafe in boston with a bowl of chili and was in heaven.

The huge head caught me off guard, but the duvel glass allowed the beer to be drunk without me ending up with a face full of foam. The little "tornado" of bubbles from the base of the glass is great, too.

This beer feels like champagne in the mouth- nice tight carbonation. The floral, hoppy flavors show little of the high alcohol content of this "devil". Since my first encounter I have been seeking this beer out whenever and wherever possible- what more could a brewery hope for?

3.73/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Am I missing something? Everyone thinks this beer is so great, but, I don't get it. There's nothing I would fault this beer for, but there's really nothing particularly notable about it, either. I mean it's a solid beer, but I find myself having nothing to say about. No impulse to exclaim or anything when I drink it. There's nothing even remotely surprising about it. I guess it's pretty easy to drink given its high alcohol content, but really its pretty standard. As I said, I'm not faulting this beer, but I just don't understand how it got an A overall, and an A+ from the brothers. Again, I'm willing to accept the possibility that I'm missing something.

Duvel from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV