Duvel | Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Reviews: 2,794 | Ratings: 7,785
4.6/5  rDev +7.5%

An outstanding beer, with a singular combination of malt, hops and fermentation characters.
Its famous white head is a pleasure for the eyes.
A pale golden colour that hides the strong flavours.
Equilibrium between hop and malt flavours.
A fantastic fermentation flavor profile, increased by flavours from the bottle refermentation.
You must try.

4.56/5  rDev +6.5%

I've been meaning to try this one out. Finally bought it with the snifter gift pack. Glad I did. I can always use another snifter.

First thing I noticed was the pure clarity of this brew. It's amazing. My pour was a little bit under par but it had a huge white head. It was thick and shapeful. Lacing all the way down the snifter. Carbonation is astounding a constant line of bubbles from the base of the snifter. Fruity aroma. Taste of alcohol and mild hop combination.

One of the best brews I've had. The paleness is deceiving. This is delicious. I'm going to love the next 4 that came with the pack.

4.27/5  rDev -0.2%

Picked this up in a large corked bottle. I had heard about this beer but never tried it.
Poured out into a wine glass, got a huge 3.5 finger head. Gorgeous golden, crisp color. Strong carbonation
Strong banana ester scent, mild (very mild) even hop aroma, light honey-like notes.
The banana ester was much more evident when I got half way through the glass and had the space to agitate and swirl the brew around. MAN that banana was strong, clean, and impressive.
The taste was that of banana, honey, super pale malt, light bittering hop that was very well balanced. Dry and highly carbonated with a slight warmth from the 8.5% ABV.
As I am not a huge fan of the banana flavor, this was quite good for the style, and everyone that tried it agreed that it was exceptional.

3.73/5  rDev -12.9%

A- This beer poured a clear yellow-gold with a 1 finger head from a conservative pour. Very clear and light colored.

S- I had seen some reviews describing the smell as having a hint of apples and Id have to agree. There is also a semi-strong hops presence.

T- I definitely taste what seems like grapes. Grains are present although not very unique in taste. There is a nice bite towards the end and surprisingly it hides its alcohol well.

M- Very crisp and dry. Like champagne.

4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

Visual appeal: a bubbly, misty bar of shining gold, appealing streaks, almost continuous effervescence

Smell: very reminiscent of hard apple cider, mild hop aroma, strong yeast, really grew on me as beer warmed

Flavor: Pilsner malts and Bohemian hops and very strong cloudy yeast flavor lingers a long time, feel warmth of alcohol on back of palette, hints of citrus but not strong enough, I'd prefer this a little sweeter, however

Mouthfeel: lovely effervescence plays with whole of tongue

Drinkability: heavy ABV--sipping beer, definitely would not drink more than one at a time

My first ever Belgian ale, right before the yank Memorial Day weekend, and I'm definitely feeling it (the ale, that is.) I have "gained a level." Combined with spicy tacos, and not a good choice. Beer became bitterer. Lager would have beer better.

3.63/5  rDev -15.2%

Have been drinking this one for a while, it is very common & well-known in Belgium, the first non-macro/ fizzy yellow beer I tried, I don't drink it that much these days, I used to be more exited about it but it is still a nice beer:

A: big fluffy white head that sort of collapses instead of disappearing, always nice to see, slightly but not much hazy yellow, cool glass
S: strong smell of hops, floral, yeast, hint of citrus/lemon peel
T: yeast, clean bitter hops (strong by Belgian standards), hint of sweet malts, lemongrass, slight alcohol bite in finish
M: lot of carbonation, dry finish
D: given the abv, this one is not hard to drink, easy even, hard to believe for me actually how hyped this is in the States

3.64/5  rDev -15%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Served in a pint bottle, Bottle conditioned with long maturation. A standard Belgium Strong Pale Ale. Head was light and the taste lightly sweet and moderately hoppy. appearance was golden blonde. Medium body, mellow flavor, with a slightly sour aftertaste.

4.75/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Very light jonquil/gold body with a crisp ivory head.

Aroma: A beautiful blend of light grains, yeast, and grass-notes.

Taste: Much like the aroma, but with an earthy backbone and almost citrus-like resolve in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: A fair amount of carbonation, if not an ideal amount; very fitting for a strong ale.

Overall: We all know that 'Duvel' is one of those classics that work whenever and wherever; cool summer nights or by the fireplace in the dead of winter - a true classic. However, I felt that it was missing an extra...something. To be fair, I will stand behind 'Duvel' as one of the "can't-go-wrong" beers, but if only it had an extra bit of 'oomph'...

4.03/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

L:Clear gloden color, thick heading but disappear quite fast, almost no lacing S:yeast, not much alcohol T: a bit of citrus, quite refreshing, bitterness aftertaste alcohol is hidden well. Feel of alcohol afterward, warming. Overall: good one, not so complex

4.94/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured--from a 330 ml/11.2 oz short. Relatively newly born--August 2016, so only two months old.

Look--Classic unfiltered cloudy (just beyond hazy) and pale-gold. Big rocky head, more like a wit than a Belgian strong. The head has some serious staying power, and the lacing is creamy and fabulous throughout. This is just a stupdenous-looking beer.

Aroma--Perhaps a bit subdued in the aroma department compared to some of its fellows, but still very complex. Fruity aromas mixed with spice and just-there maltiness.

Taste--The first word that comes to mind, sip after sip, is balance. In every possible way. Malty sweet. And fruity sweet. Yet just-so on the bitterness. There is also an herbal or spice note that combines with a distinctively strong carbonation to provide a dry kick to finish. The alcohol is definitely there, but strictly as a pleasing and additional drying element--no bite or burn.

Feel--Difficult to separately quantify or qualify from the taste, because it is such a strong component of that aspect. Wonderful carbonation and warming booziness provides a fine drying finish to a complex flavor. "Crisp" doesn't do this justice.

Overall--Everything that makes me favor the Belgian/Flemish approach to brewing is here and then some. If you haven't--you must and soon.

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

I'm a relative newcomer to beligian strong ales, but one encounter with this beauty was all it took to hook me. I ordered it at the Other Side Cafe in boston with a bowl of chili and was in heaven.

The huge head caught me off guard, but the duvel glass allowed the beer to be drunk without me ending up with a face full of foam. The little "tornado" of bubbles from the base of the glass is great, too.

This beer feels like champagne in the mouth- nice tight carbonation. The floral, hoppy flavors show little of the high alcohol content of this "devil". Since my first encounter I have been seeking this beer out whenever and wherever possible- what more could a brewery hope for?

3.73/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Am I missing something? Everyone thinks this beer is so great, but, I don't get it. There's nothing I would fault this beer for, but there's really nothing particularly notable about it, either. I mean it's a solid beer, but I find myself having nothing to say about. No impulse to exclaim or anything when I drink it. There's nothing even remotely surprising about it. I guess it's pretty easy to drink given its high alcohol content, but really its pretty standard. As I said, I'm not faulting this beer, but I just don't understand how it got an A overall, and an A+ from the brothers. Again, I'm willing to accept the possibility that I'm missing something.

3.7/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pale golden with a big fluffy white head. The aroma is wonderfully fruity with notes of bananas, pears and peaches. The flavor is apricots, grapes, pepper, lemon and apple. The finish is of a medium length, tart and bitter. Mouthfeel is light with very lively carbonation.

330 ml Bottle says it is best before January 2010. Opening the bottle I could feel the pressure release and even with a gentle pour I got 3/4 of a glass full of head, cloudy white head that would be absolutely wonderful if it wasn't dominating my glass completely.

Appearance: Wonderfully golden and clear with exceptional carbonation bubbles flowing freely up my glass, and the aforementioned beautiful white head.

Smell: Yeast and some hops are present, but mostly I smell apples and pears.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Silky smooth and very creamy. The active carbonation makes this ambrosia quite crisp as well. Hop bitterness up front, very fruity in the middle with spicy malt and esters as well. Finishes with a nice dry note.

Note: This is easily one of the best beers that I've ever had. Beyond that if the name (Devil) is anything to go by it is a compelling reason for me to sin more. Hmm... maybe I will take the label's advice and try to drink the rest of this four pack with "good-looking strangers."

4.28/5  rDev 0%

Uncorked a 750 of this stuff. It pours a nice airy snow white head that jumps up past the rim of the glass, but doesn't spill over. It leaves a good lacing, and is a crystal clear light golden color.

Fruity Belgian nose is nice. The taste is fantastic. What can I say? This beer defines the style to me. Strong, but not overbearing. Balanced. Dry on the tongue. Not as boozy as some beers in this style, and very clean crisp malt profile. The carbonation is very high.

I could drink this stuff all the time, but I would just become spoiled.

4.45/5  rDev +4%

Poured from .33 L bottle into the tulip glass.
Appearance: Pale golden color, a huge white head like a crown.
Smell: Full-bodied malty smell, with a little fruity, apple perhaps.
Taste: First, a little bit bitter and spicy. Then, sweetness and fruitiness came out.
Mouthfeel/Drink: Feel wonderful with thick foam. When I drink it, a large number of tiny bubbles make me feel very smooth.

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Clean, crisp, golden, boozy, awesome. Everyone's going to rant and rave about how good it is, so my accolades won't add anything here. Instead I'll play the role of the French judge at every olympic contest. The ethanol profile is a tad like nail polish remover. The malt profile is a bit boring. But all in all, impossible to argue against it's being a contender for the podium. We all know this event will end with the Belgian national anthem, but the question remains; "which Belgian?".

4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

Appearance-neon yellow like it looks like it belongs under a black light!! Good solid 2 head which lasts through out the beer.

Smell- sour off the bat but in a good beligium way.

Taste-its almost like a pilsner gone belgium. Its got that light pilsner taste but has that nice sour/yeast flavor that is classic of belgium beer.

Mouthfeel- high carbonation and a slight bitterness at first.

Drinkability- careful not to drink more than one of these, this small bottle packs a big punch.

4.52/5  rDev +5.6%

A- Golden, straw color, very nice looking beer with a fluffy white head that stuck around for a while.

S- A lot going on in the nose, sweet honey and citrus hit me first followed by a clove spice scente and some belgium yeastiness.

T- Very similar to the smell and i'm really enjoying this. Great balance of sweetness, orange-grapefruit lemon and some spice...

M- One of the best mouthfeels a beer can have, the flavor coats all areas of the mouth, it is crisp, medium body and has fantastic carbonation...some welcomed dryness at the end which makes me want more

O- An exceptional beer, has a few quality flavors that work very well together. Great smell and fantastic mouth feel. I will certainly be seeking this out again in the near future

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Not really into pale ale or Belgian beer but I much prefer this to Three Philosophers which is the only other one of this general style I have tried. This beer has a great sense of occasion about it! Love the mouth feel.

4.76/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a tulip glass (Of course)

Off white with a Super rocky head
Beautiful golden colour

Instantly i smell some citrus, lemons, limes and oranges. With that comes a few other tropical fruits.
The taste is glorious, Some nice limes with mangoes and bananas. very refined and very drinkable. Only a slight alcohol feel as this precious liquor slivers down your throat.

Quiet bubbly, but controllable. medium mouth feel but slides down like a light lager.

This is one fantastic beer that should be shared with funny friends and people who appreciate a good Beer. Also drink before you start on the tequila.

4.75/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a hazy golden color with a huge white foamy head.
The smell is of citrus, pepper, sweet banana, and a floral aroma.
The taste is a sweet pear, followed by citrus, pepper spice, and a malty bitterness that is not too strong.
The alcohol is not noticeable.
The feel is not too thick or thin and watery.
This is a very good bad Pale Ale. I really love these Belgian Beers.

4.26/5  rDev -0.5%

This may very well be my favorite brew, seems to be a perfect marrige of pils & trippel. Poured into my favorite Trmens glass I found it remarkably drinkable especially for an 8.5% beer. A bit hoppier than typical belgian gold ales but nowhere near dominating. A regenerating white head & golden hue are somewhat hypnotic I keep staring. Sip after bigger sip and so on, I pour another "Devil"

4.04/5  rDev -5.6%

This is a fine beer, and pairs well with a variety of foods. Pay heed to the 8.50% ABV, however - it really sneaks up on you.

Appearance: Poured into a Duvel glass; even with a light pour, 50% of the glass was filled with a dense head. Color was surprisingly light. I'm always impressed with the "fountain effect" of bubbles making their way from the bottom of the tulip glass to the head.

Smell: Not particularly noticeable, particularly for a Belgian ale.

Taste: Perhaps a little mild for a Belgian ale. Sweet, tongue-coating malts predominate, with a very faint hop taste on the finish. Absolutely no aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Dense carbonation makes this beer "thick" without being heavy.

Drinkability: Fabulous. Take time to enjoy a Duvel. A great beer for introducing someone to the beers of Belgium.

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

Enjoyed at Bricco in Akron.

A: What an amazing head on this beer. Cottony and big. It tickled my upper lip during the drink and lingered though the entire glass. Beautiful lace. The color was a very light gold.

S: Apple skins, pectin, raisins. Warm yeasty Italian bread. Strong aroma without being pungent.

T: There is that apple again. The nose will give you every hint of what this beer will taste like. Think of everything an IPA should be with a kick of fruity sweetness.

M: Champaign bubbly and light/medium body. Very crisp and would be perfect for a summer's day.

D: A real joy to drink. Up there with La Fin Du Monde and slowly making Belgian Strong Pale Ale's the drinks for me. I almost considered a 5.0 for this one.

Duvel from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV