Duvel Belgian Golden Ale | Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

#740

Ratings: 7,978 |  Reviews: 2,847

4.34/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Serving: 33 mL bottle (best before "08-2017") poured into a Spiegelau beer tulip.

Appearance: Slightly hazy but bright, pale golden yellow. Towering clouds of lasting, white sudsy foam, thick and creamy - almost like whipped cream - coats the glass with clumpy lace. Visibly effervescent.

Smell: Bright lemon zest, apple peel, fresh baguette, delicately spicy yeast.

Taste: Complex layers of malty grains, fruity esters, honey, black pepper, balancing bitterness and slight bite of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy medium body and lively carbonation.

Overall: Possibly the best looking beer I've ever poured from a bottle. Complex and flavorful - a classic.

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

4.25/5  rDev 0%

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

4.04/5  rDev -4.9%

3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

4.09/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle best-by dated 02-2017 into a Duvel tulip at fridge temp, allowed to warm.

Look: pale yellow with a massive foam head, great lacing.

Smell: a smoky lemon/banana that I often get from this style.

Taste: sweetness, banana-esque but more complex, leads the way, with citrus, confectioners sugar, and faint malt following.

Feel: fluffy and just a hint of dryness. Enjoyable.

Overall: a really nice beer. Solid all around. I was probably a little harsh, but I imagine this as Belgium's version of, say, Anchor Steam—a very good beer, but not a world-beater.

3.57/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Better than expected, but prefer other Belgians

4.25/5  rDev 0%

4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

Pouring to a great golden color, this had a large head that shrank but lasted well. Lace is huge. This is gorgeous.

The smell is very good, bringing peppery spices, pale malt, hops, and alcohol all together at once. The taste follows up with more malt and spice, with hops dominating the finish. The mouthfeel is very sharp, and it's easy to drink for its strength.

World class, but everyone already knew that.

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

4.63/5  rDev +8.9%

330ml stubby.

I'd been eyeing the Duvel gift boxes for a month. Finally, last week I decided to snag the last one. I'm sure it must have been marked down, as the gift box was only a buck-fifty more than the Duvel stubby 4-pack. So now I have the famous Duvel glass--awesome!

Not being able to read the fine print on the label, I gave it my normal hard pour and ended up with 2 fingers of brew and a chunky, foamy-white head towering over the copious tulip glass. It took a few minutes, but I was soon able to get the rest of the beer in the glass. Easilly one of the most glorious heads ever. The golden "Duvel" lettering backed by the white head matched almost perfectly the color of the brew. The beer itself was tramslucent and light gold in color. As it receded, patches of foamy white lacing adorned the glass and a lump of foam (it looked like a Duvel float) rested on the brew being fed by a smoky tower of bubbles. One of the coolest looking beers ever.

A bit horsey from the Belgian yeast. Lemony. Peppery. A little apple. One single whiff of peppery watercress. Some sweet malt as well.

Some light lemony sweetness in the taste with a decently bitter finish.

Great mouthfeel. Somewhat drying with a light tingling on the tongue from the carbonation. Some burn from the alcohol which continues as a warming in the throat.

Quite easy to drink for a Belgian. Nicely warming for the winter, yet light enough to be a good summer brew. Two stubbys and I'm feeling good.

It's really hard for me not to pour all my beer knto the glass, but someday, I'll sample this again, and try to leave the yeast in the bottle.

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

3.59/5  rDev -15.5%

Hazy light golden color, almost yellow. Exceptional frothy white head, nice rings of lace. Aroma seems similar to almost every other Belgian or Belgian style I've tried. Ditto on the taste, I can't identify it but it's a spicy hoppiness. I know it's also the yeast, espescially with Duvel as I have heard they don't use spices. Spritzy mouthfeel, almost champagne like ( a drink I don't care for) 8% on or abouts but pretty drinkable for such strength. I've tried to get in to the genre but it's not easy for me. My apologies to lovers of Belgian ale's but I can take or leave them.

Duvel Belgian Golden Ale from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV