Duvel Belgian Golden Ale | Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Ratings: 7,941 |  Reviews: 2,840
4.15/5  rDev -3%

4.23/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a brilliant clear golden color with a big two finger fluffy white head that lasts. Aroma is very citric and yeasty. Taste is boozy(not a bad thing in this beer), hay like and yeasty, with a small amount of hops. Mouthfeel feel light-medium and very carbonated. Overall a very interesting beer that drinks easy but is easy to savour. I can see why it is held in such high esteem.

4.41/5  rDev +3%

This is a damned fine beer!

Looks fantastic in my duvel glass, beautiful rocky head that lasted nearly the entire glass. Lacing very prevalent. Nothing at all I would change.

Smell's a little weak, lots of fruit and alcohol. Nothing really grabs me tho.

Taste is fantastic, but slightly lacking in complexity. I was expecting a little more, I must admit. Either way, it tastes great... apples and citrus mostly, alcohol comes throught at the end but not overwhelming. Nice warming of the tummy on this cold winter night.

It's got a great body and perfect amount of carbonation. Leaves a slight hoppy finish.

I don't know if I'd drink more than 2 of these in a sitting, but they're awfully easy to put down, and at the price I found it, it can't be beat.

I'll make sure to pick up a couple more bottles next time I go to the store!

4.87/5  rDev +13.8%

Rare it is when something lives up to the hype. This clearly did.

A: Poured a light gold into my snifter. About a two finger, rocky, billowing head. Looks outstanding.
S: Lots of fruits and some sugary sweetness. A hint of lemon as well. It's very complex but very pleasing.
T: Awesome! Some sweetness up front and just a bit of hoppy bitterness toward the back. I get a lot of the Belgian yeasts as well. Very balanced.
M: So crisp and moderately carbonated. Very smooth.
D: Off the charts. Light and refreshing without compromising any taste. If you can afford it, have a few!

One of my favs.

4.75/5  rDev +11%

3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

4.31/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.19/5  rDev -2.1%

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

750ml with cork and cage. Pours an inviting light, cloudy golden color with a huge snow white head. Smells nicely of fruit; bannanas, oranges, as well as alcohol. Tastes much bolder than I would have thought. Spice from the alcohol, earthy hops, some bannana. Less fruit forward than say La Fin du Monde but definetly bolder, for what its worth. One of the best looking brews I've seen. Not my favorite in this style, but still very good. I'd never turn it down.

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

As belgian strong ales go, this one is very different than one would suspect. The normal flavors many associate with Belgian strong ales are not as prominent. Bannana/bubblegum tones from the wheat and yeast, candy-like fruity sugars,etc. This is not La Fin Du Monde or a Trappist beer. The malt flavor is more toward the pilsner or pale lager taste spectrum. That being said, it's really drinkable and I really liked the black pepper spiciness. And trust me, It is way more complex than most pilsner/pale lagers. It just looks beautiful in a glass with a crystal-clear pale golden color and a huge foamy white head. There's a good amount of bitterness and complexity but the sweetness you'd normally get in such a high ABV is just not there. I'd love to try a beer that is similar to Duvel in taste. The taxonomy "Belgian Strong Ale" (given on an different beer rating site) mislead me but I was stil pleased with the beer. If I had seen Belgian Strong 'Pale' Ale it might have made more sense on my first tasting.

3.36/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

*disclaimer*
I have only tried approximately 5 belgian style beers including this one to this date, therefore my palate is most likely unrefined and a bit unappreciative of the style, but nevertheless I do intend to continue to try these beers and eventually revisit these reviews.

This beer pours absolutely beautifully, pale yellow in color with a massive and I mean massive head.
Citrus aromas followed by spicey wheat notes with some astringency that kind of stings.
Tastes a bit like a boozy wheat with spice. Citrus notes in the taste are nice.
This beer suffers from being stingy on the mouth for me and it's not really enjoyable.

I intend to revisit this as well as other belgian brews but overall I didn't really like this.

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%

From a 330mL bottle into a tulip glass. Best before 08/2014.

A - Bright light yellow color, very clear, showing an active carbonation. Pouring the yeast turns the color into a cloudy yellow. The snow-white head is very generous, fluffy, with a excellent retention. Good lacing on the glass.

S - Very complex smell! Malt is dominant but I pick out a lot of aromas besides: candy sugar, yeast, spices, pepper, apricots, apple, dry fruits. The whole blend is extremely inviting!

T - I'm slightly disappointed by the taste. It's not as complex as the smell, though it's much better than the average. It reveals malt, plums, spices throughout, but the most remarkable thing is this distinctive taste which appears in the middle, something close to caramelized apple (I'm not quite sure...).

M - Medium to full bodied, this beer is very crispy on the palate and the high carbonation is slightly over-powering in my opinion. Sugar is well balanced by the hop. Good warming touch and very dry mouthfeel at the end.

O - A classic Belgian Pale Ale, very easy to drink and full of complexity. A must in the Belgian landscape and on the shelves of any beer enthusiast!

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Beautiful light gold. Thick luxurouis head that lasts forever and lacing stays forever. Non stop bubbles, very high carbonation. Aroma very faint but pleasant yeast and earthy. Fruits, bread and some spice, dry. Some bitter at the end and hint of alcohol. Great brew!

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

4.51/5  rDev +5.4%

Overall: wonderfull stuff!

Advice: if you're new to Belgian ales, this is where you need to start.

Served in the Duvel tulip glass after allowing 20-minutes to warm from being in the fridge.

Splendid aroma, mouthfeel and appearance; especially the head, which looks like storm clouds over a golden ocean. The citrus hints make this ideal for year-round enjoyment.

I'll admit to a certain bias as I discovered this while stationed at NATO HQs; fond memories indeed (well, at least from what I can still remember!).

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +11%