Duvel Belgian Golden Ale | Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Duvel Belgian Golden AleDuvel Belgian Golden Ale

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV
duvel.be

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

A Duvel is still seen as the reference among strong golden ales. Its bouquet is lively and tickles the nose with an element of citrus which even tends towards grapefruit thanks to the use of only the highest-quality hop varieties. This is also reflected in the flavour, which is beautifully balanced with a hint of spiciness. Thanks to its high CO2 content, this beer has a wonderful roundness in the mouth. A Duvel is both the perfect thirst quencher and the ideal aperitif.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

#801

View: Beers
Ratings: 8,064 |  Reviews: 2,870

4.23/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

this beer is so drinkable, authentic Belgian. really earthy and spicy, perfectly balanced and drinkable. its character is pretty ordinary, doesn't have any extra added bonus flavors like lime or hints of citrus, like I got from damnation its just perfectly balanced and earthy, natural

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

3.54/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I first had a Duvel a few years ago because I heard it was considered one of the "must try" beers. I tried it and found it mediocre on all levels. I figured I must be missing something if many beer experts including Michael Jackson consider this one of their favorite beers. I like many Belgian Ales and thought maybe my palette just wasn't developed enough to appreciate the subtle nuisances of this beer. Three years and over a thousand beers later I now appreciate a wide spectrum of styles and my palette has definitely advanced. Duvel however hasn't changed for me. I find that the high carbonation deters from my enjoyment, the high alcohol content which I usually find as a plus takes away from the taste. The appearance and mouthfeel are nothing special. Sometimes I feel that some beers get rated high because of the "buzz" over it. For example, I was at Russian River six weeks ago and had a Pliny the Elder. Good IPA not great. I've had many IPAs that are better! Again, all about the hype!

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

3.25/5  rDev -23.5%

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

4.41/5  rDev +3.8%

Tastes like Honey Nut Cheerios, feels like heaven. Very sweet with undertones of cinnamon, a crispy and crackling body, incredibly easy to quaff. It only gets better with warming so there's no need to hurry but it's so hard to drink slowly when it's this good. The quintessential craft beer conundrum.

Duvel Belgian Golden Ale from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV