Duvel Belgian Golden Ale | Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Ratings: 7,928 |  Reviews: 2,836

3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

4.59/5  rDev +7.2%

I just had a Duvel last night for the second time while at Euclid Hall, an atypical bar & kitchen in Denver. It is the best tasting beer that I've ever had, light, with tons of flavor. I like my beer high in alcohol, not to dark in color, not to bitter in taste, and not to heavy (as far as filling you up goes). This beer hit the mark for me on every level, with a super powerful intricate taste and sweet notes from beginning to end, absolutely amazing. Being a 'non-beer drinker for a while', mainly because I hate the taste of 'schwag' (bud light, pbr, coors light, etc..) beer so much, and that's all that my friends ever offer me. You can call me a beer drinker now, after having a good beer for the first time in a long time. Anyways, I decided to go online and see where I can buy this brand and I came across this website. I enjoyed this Duvel so much that I decided to join the website and write a review before going out to buy the beer. I guarantee that if you don't like bud light types of beer, you will LOVE this beer.

Thanks,
Ben Berman

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured the 330 mL bottle into the supplied snifter glass with the beer meeting the head at the Duvel logo and was treated to the following.

A. This beer pours a hazy straw with generous amounts of fluffy and foamy white head. The head drops about 1/4 finger per minute and leaves behind nice lacing.

S. The smell is clean with a strong citrus, apple, and earth aromas. Very intriguing and not a typical beer aroma; very lagery.

T. The flavor hits the tongue and then dances around from the top, to the side, to the roof of the mouth, and then finally to the rear. A very sharp flavor of apple, citrus and pepper? and maybe some pineapple. Very unique.

M. This is a light bodied beer with quite the punch. Light and smooth on the tongue with little sticking around for the afterparty. Only a slight burn from the alcohol in the end.

This isn't my style of beer but it is definitely one of those that hits you and its the only beer that will suffice. I'm amazed that someone can turn some barley and flowers into a beverage like this.

Duvel Belgian Golden Ale from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV