Duvel Belgian Golden Ale | Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

#739

Ratings: 7,976 |  Reviews: 2,846
4.44/5  rDev +4.5%

A: Pale yellow pilsener esque. Big rocky white head. Great head retention.

S: Spicy hops, lots of esthers. Some pineapple, white peach, alcohol.

T: Sweet malts and alcohol are my first impressions. That gives way to more bready biscuity malt flavors, as well as yeasty fruit flavors and spices. Finishes strong with a twinge of hops biting at the sides of your tongue.

M: Effervescent. Very bubbly and sharp, but medium bodied.

O: Not every bottle is consistent in my experience. This is such a familiar and special beer, but occasionally I'll open a bottle that seems a bit off. The hops are skunked, or maybe its gone stale or corked.

3.81/5  rDev -10.4%

25.4oz bottle, Duvel tulip, best before 11/27/13.

Sunshine pilsener yellow is the color of this vaunted tipple. The head is pure and white as wind driven snow and certainly rivals the best I've ever seen for longevity and pure volume clinging to the glass.

Gentle grainy pale malt, alcohol perfume, slightly funky and minty yeast, and faint herbal hop.

Yeast and herbal hop pick up, I find things rather minty and sweeter than the nose betrayed, honeyed pale malt. A bitterness struggles to be crisp, but it's too sweet in my opinion. I even taste a bit of skunk, but I don't see how this could be light struck; put it down to my taste buds interpretation of the yeast and hops. Wait, band-aid?

At first it was refreshing, but the body feels increasingly heavy as the carbonation fades too quickly.

This falls short for me. BSPA is a style I've been liking more and more lately, but this gold standard falls short for me. It looks amazing though.

4.25/5  rDev 0%

4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

Appearance - Poured from. 33cl bottle into a tulip glass. Great huge foamy head. Maybe three fingers. It was pillowy and tons of lace down the glass.

The beer was crystal clear honey Amber.

Smell - Tons of amoma of a pilsner?

Taste and mouth-

Super clean mouth finish. Just enough carbonation to leave a little tingly feeling.

This was not as crisp as others I've had, which were more champagne like.

Overall - this is still one of my favorite belgim beers

3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

3.28/5  rDev -22.8%

Pour & Aroma: Served chilled in a frosted large tulip glass. Initial pour is very cloudy, light gold with a heavy haze. Two fingers worth of cloudy foam. Not a pronounced aroma, some pepper, grasses, yeast and grains with very faint citrus, all of which are very subdued.

Taste: First quaff gets me a wallop of alcohol wrapped around my tongue with a ton of bubbles and acidic hop. Very dry. Light biscuit hidden in there somewhere, mild sweetness is overwhelmed by the alcohol and bitters. Thin body, almost like a champagne. As the temp rose of both glass and beer, aroma and flavors emerge that are of a far more citrusy and aromatic nature. Hop is still there at the back end standing strong, but I’m getting some really great sweetness in there I hadn’t gotten at all at first.

Verdict: I definitely would enjoy this with some cheeses or cold meat. It doesn’t come across to me as well-sculpted, but if you’re looking for something relatively inexpensive with some bite and solid ABV (8.5%) you could certainly do worse.

Duvel Belgian Golden Ale from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV